Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Fun envirnoment, lovely customer base, organized way of business for the most part.
Retail Sales Person and Pet Nutrition Expert (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 March 2017
I really do enjoy this job. The environment is laid back yet everything gets done. We get to do fun things, we see animals in a daily basis, we have events and fundraisers for local spca and rescue group which is very fufilling but my cons are its a very small staff (5) at my particular location which can cause quite a few issues in my opinion, although it does have its perks as well.
Fun and friendly enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 February 2017
I really enjoyed working at Pet Valu because my co-workers and customers were very friendly. I learned how to be confident and talk to everyone as well as be confident at cash. The hardest part about the job was balancing shifts with my school work. The most enjoyable part about this job was to see how happy the customers were when i had given them advice and helped them find what they were looking for.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
balancing shifts with school work
An okay workplace.. Not Great
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 February 2017
A typical work day is helping customers, cleaning, and putting out stock. After working here for 3 years I have learned a lot about the pet food industry, however, this was no thanks to the pet valu training program. The training program does not teach you any useful information and you are forced to learn as you go on the floor. I work for a franchise store and I find that the management is very sloppy. There is no consistency at my location. The workplace culture is fun, but can be stressful. The hardest part of the job is trying to deal with management. The best part of the job is dealing with the customers and their pets.
Pros
play with cats in store
Cons
inconsistent hours, management is not great
Great if you're a student or want part time work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 January 2017
I had an overall adequate experience with Pet Valu. I enjoyed helping the customers and taking care of the animals that would come into the store. However, I think that the salary is lower than one would deserve for the amount of work they do, it is extremely difficult to get time off, and sick days and benefits are non existant.

If you are a student who is looking to work a few shifts a week, I would recommend this job. If you're looking for something more permanent however, I would recommend finding employment elsewhere.
Pros
Around animals, clean working environment
Cons
high demands for low pay
Wonderful Company to work for if you are an animal lover!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON13 March 2017
I enjoyed the 7 years I spent with Pet Valu, my ultimate goal was to build sales and buy the store I was running. Unfortunately the downside to working for a franchising organization is that you have no job security and my store sold before I could try to buy it for myself.
Pros
great benefit package and fair wages
Cons
franchising organization no job security
It's retail
Sales Associate, Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Angus, ON22 December 2016
The location I was at was not reminiscent of the location I worked at years ago. A typical day consisted of stocking shelves, reorganizing displays, handling customer inquiries, cash, opening and closing responsibilities.
The management was in need of some additional training.
Coworkers for the most part, were great and really pitched in.
The hardest part of the job was on delivery days, trying to manage the amount of stock getting into the store and rotated while maintaining customer satisfaction and priority.
Most enjoyable part was being part of customer's family, when they would bring their pets in and sharing in their love/care for their pets and being able to ensure they were giving their pets the best.
bridgewater ns horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS10 December 2016
The new Pine Grove Pet Valu is one of the worst places to work 90% of the staff is rude and ignorant the only staff worth keeping is the old Pets Unlimited staff the new staff are rude and ignorant that store is full of drama I recently worked there and had to quit that store is never going to make it to not apply for the Bridgewater store it is terrible
Pros
animals
Cons
half of the staff.
Animals are wonderful to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON1 February 2017
I love helping pet parents find their way. My only difficulty was working for a franchise owner. The ladies I worked with got along as a group Really well. The only problems ever created were by the owner, who could be really great and really awful depending on his mood.
Pros
Wonderful women I worked with
Cons
Uneven playing field
Not recommended
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
Fronting and stocking shelves, lots of heavy lifting, you normally work on your own. Responsible for store janitorial work. Poor management and upper management. You do not go to district manager or HR with issues as they strictly work for the company. High staff turnover. They lose a lot of great staff because of the managers (micro manage, there way or the highway, even if not up to company standards). Some managers ran down their staff in front of customers and other staff. Most co-workers were awesome to work with and dealing with customers was a great part of the job. Most discouraging part of the job is when you work by yourself, lineup at the till and customers waiting for assistance, lost a lot of customers because of this. If you worked a full shift you received a lunch break, but there were no coffee breaks allowed.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management, no coffee breaks, working by yourself
Amazing
Customer Service Representative & Store Management (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 February 2017
I really loved working for Aurora, she was so great. I loved working with the people and their pets, although I had to stop working there because of my school situation I will always point people with pets in Aurora's direction, she is awesome!
Pros
The pets
Cons
I had to stop working because of school
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 November 2016
My experience at petvalu was interesting. The staff is very welcoming and nice. The training provided is adequate. I learned that you need to work well in a team got get tasks finished and always maintain a positive attitude. The most enjoyable part was taking care of the animals.
Pros
excellent sales .
Cons
small location not many costumers
fun, friendly
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dauphin, MB18 January 2017
its a easily going job, co workers are friendly kind and support of each other. I learned a lot about pets and how to take care of them and what you need to feed them, what you should do if there sick. the most enjoyable about my job is seeing the dogs that come in for a bath or getting treats.
decent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 February 2017
Decent place to work if you love animals. Not much room for growth though and a lot fo corporate locations are turning into franchise so chances are you won't be kept on the stafff. Corporate doesn't always have a spot for you to move to so you may be left out of a job.
Upbeat environment
Part Time sales (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 October 2016
This job taught me communication skills through customers and other employees. It was fast paced and fun to work at. My coworkers and i got along extremely well and it made my days alot easier having them around. I made a lot of friendships with the customers which made them come back and stay loyal to pet valu.
Pros
Great people
Cons
long days
pet valu
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON23 February 2017
helping customers with there problems with their animals
the proper health care for their animals
great management
hardest part of the job was seeing a sick animal and not being able to help
watching pets grow and playing with them at work
Neat and efficient for buyers but not employees
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 March 2017
There was barely any work to do on a day to day basis which was OK but at the time not what I was looking for regarding a co-op success story. I did learn how to work the register which was a plus
Not a professional or safe enviornment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC9 August 2016
Management was very unpleasant to work for. My co-workers were amazing but didn't stay long in the job due to their problem with the managers.I built a lot of cliental and gained a ton of experience. The hardest part was dealing with management and their lack of communication skills. I really think that human resources or head office should get involved and make sure they are treating employees with respect.
Pros
Great clients
Precarious
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
Pet Valu corporate is in process of selling and franchising stores so there are few opportunities to move forward- job is more likely to be for small business than corporation.
Complicated management, not a stable job.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Janitorial (Former Employee) –  BC11 October 2016
I worked at a franchise of Pet Valu. I loved going into work everyday because I was helping people find great solutions for their pets. The coworkers were nice enough, but the owner just had a complete lack of communication. He gave me a raise, making me think I was great at my job, then he phased me out of the schedule barely a week later. I asked him why my schedule was like that and he just started saying a bunch of things which were never previously communicated. I asked another coworker about this and they told me he did this frequently, just without the raise and in a shorter span of time. I loved this job, I loved the coworkers and the customers, and even the products. The downside was the management, and just the abruptness of how it ended. I love this job and will miss it dearly, but I will not miss my shifts with the owner. I will also not miss the lack of job security.
Pros
Your job has a purpose
Cons
Terrible management and complete lack of peer or work reviews
Animals are great, animal products are great, pet valu is not so great!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON4 October 2016
Maybe its different at other stores, but at my location the manager "hires" students and tells them to come in, gets them to do all this heavy lifting and avoids questions about paperwork and takes advantage of students and then a couple days after their hard work, tells them it "didnt work out" when they have to contact the store because they dont contact you about it like a professional should. the manager was just rude but i kept it to myself and made me feel uncomfortable but the rest of the staff was great so i didnt mind until i got ignored for days and told it "didnt work out" while i could have been doing something more productive. all in all, it just leaves a student with bad self eestem and expierence and low, sad expectations, so thanks a lot pet valu! the only enjoyable thing was i like the pet valu brand and talking to customers!
Pros
animals, working w/ animals products and costumers with animals.
Cons
my location was very unprofessional and unorganized and rude

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6