Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 November 2016
My experience at petvalu was interesting. The staff is very welcoming and nice. The training provided is adequate. I learned that you need to work well in a team got get tasks finished and always maintain a positive attitude. The most enjoyable part was taking care of the animals.
Pros
excellent sales .
Cons
small location not many costumers
Not a professional or safe enviornment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC9 August 2016
Management was very unpleasant to work for. My co-workers were amazing but didn't stay long in the job due to their problem with the managers.I built a lot of cliental and gained a ton of experience. The hardest part was dealing with management and their lack of communication skills. I really think that human resources or head office should get involved and make sure they are treating employees with respect.
Pros
Great clients
Upbeat environment
Part Time sales (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 October 2016
This job taught me communication skills through customers and other employees. It was fast paced and fun to work at. My coworkers and i got along extremely well and it made my days alot easier having them around. I made a lot of friendships with the customers which made them come back and stay loyal to pet valu.
Pros
Great people
Cons
long days
Fun environment that let me meet different people and gave me more responsibility
Sales Associate(Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2016
working in Pet Valu was amazing because of the positive atmosphere. everyone is so friendly and nice to work with because they all try to help as soon as their jobs are over. I learned to be punctual and more responsible because Pet valu is a pet store which means there are animals that need to be fed so I learned never to be late because then the animals would be the ones who will suffer from my actions. the most enjoyable part of the job is hanging out with the different dog breeds that enter the store and taking care of the rabbits and hamsters in the store.
Fun place to work, bad experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ontario27 June 2016
I had many problems with my location. From being left alone for 6-7 hours with no chance for a break to gossip being out of control.
Very unorganized and no place for advancement.
Although the job did have its upside - animals, getting to meet some great people
It wasn't worth it in the end for what I was getting paid.
Oh and don't get sick because there's never anyone to cover shifts suck it up buttercup.
Pros
Animals, some customers
Cons
Got left alone with no breaks, running the store alone for much less than manager pay, hard work for minimum wage, nasty customers
Great part time job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON12 August 2016
If you're lucky enough to have animals for adoption at the store you work at it's a really fun experience, getting those animals adopted is a really rewarding experience.

My store manager was great but people higher up in the company are out of touch.
Pros
cute animals all day
Cons
minimum wage
Slow Days, Cool Boss, A lot of cleaning and stocking
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2016
Pet Valu isn't the busiest company. It has slow traffic and just the usual people come in usually the same day same time.

there is a lot of cleaning and stocking of shelves cause there isn't much else to do.

I had a great boss though that understood that, but still expected me to finish tasks during my work day but allowed me to complete my school work when those were done.
Favorite job I've ever had
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2016
A typical day at work would be grooming 5 or so dogs, working with them really makes my day, I truly love my job.
The most I've learned working here is dog behaviors and how to treat them.
Management has been amazing, I am sad to leave my store, I would work there for the rest of my life if I could because management and co-workers are the best people I've ever met.
The hardest part of the job would be getting difficult dogs to groom, because they are unpredictable and or nervous. It's hard sometimes to finish the job as best you can but sometimes you can only do so much without traumatizing or harming them.
Most enjoyable part of the job would be how the dogs feel after they get groomed, you can tell they feel 100% better afterwards and the look on their owners faces when they see them and how happy it makes them makes my job the best thing ever.
Pros
best place to work
Cons
having to leave
Complicated management, not a stable job.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Janitorial (Former Employee) –  BC11 October 2016
I worked at a franchise of Pet Valu. I loved going into work everyday because I was helping people find great solutions for their pets. The coworkers were nice enough, but the owner just had a complete lack of communication. He gave me a raise, making me think I was great at my job, then he phased me out of the schedule barely a week later. I asked him why my schedule was like that and he just started saying a bunch of things which were never previously communicated. I asked another coworker about this and they told me he did this frequently, just without the raise and in a shorter span of time. I loved this job, I loved the coworkers and the customers, and even the products. The downside was the management, and just the abruptness of how it ended. I love this job and will miss it dearly, but I will not miss my shifts with the owner. I will also not miss the lack of job security.
Pros
Your job has a purpose
Cons
Terrible management and complete lack of peer or work reviews
Best time ever.
Assistant Store Manager/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 June 2016
This was my first job and the most fun. All the staff got along so well and I worked my way up to become the Assistant Manager. We had a photography room, doggy daycare, grooming, and a cat adoption room. When you are surrounded with that many animals and great people it is really hard to dislike your job.
It's not playing with pets all day
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS21 August 2016
If you wish to be micromanaged and your rights to be ignored then this corporate giant is for you. Believe me, even though the staff are all smiles when you walk in, and there's a cute cat to look at, everyone is miserable. (Especially in Dartmouth)
Dream job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, ON17 June 2016
I waited to work for this company for many years, was happy to get the job. Most co-workers are fun and capable.The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers, trying to find the best solution to their problems, That and meeting all the pets people bring in.
Pros
People and their pets
Cons
Little advancement available
Animals are great, animal products are great, pet valu is not so great!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON4 October 2016
Maybe its different at other stores, but at my location the manager "hires" students and tells them to come in, gets them to do all this heavy lifting and avoids questions about paperwork and takes advantage of students and then a couple days after their hard work, tells them it "didnt work out" when they have to contact the store because they dont contact you about it like a professional should. the manager was just rude but i kept it to myself and made me feel uncomfortable but the rest of the staff was great so i didnt mind until i got ignored for days and told it "didnt work out" while i could have been doing something more productive. all in all, it just leaves a student with bad self eestem and expierence and low, sad expectations, so thanks a lot pet valu! the only enjoyable thing was i like the pet valu brand and talking to customers!
Pros
animals, working w/ animals products and costumers with animals.
Cons
my location was very unprofessional and unorganized and rude
One of the worst jobs i have worked.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
I barely worked there. About a months time and it felt forever.

Was hired on the spot and given a key, only training is for how to work the till -no training about procedures or anything.

Expected to know and understand everything without being shown, not eased into physical work no 15 mins of break only unpaid 30 mins.

Manager talks about current and ex employees behind their backs to other employees and customers and thinks its ok to yell at an employee and say they have no right to speak.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Negative team, no training, lying and drama.
Sale associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON3 August 2016
Learned great things about all the animals and about all of the type of toys for all the dogs and cats, not to mention the rabbits and other animals that were at the shop.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Sometimes the hours weren't what I would have liked
it was good
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 October 2016
HEY I had a good time working at the pet store I help pic the dog toys for the kids to give the dog a good toy. I like to help. I work at canada post it was not good pay.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not long days
Amazing place to work!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville19 October 2016
All around great place to work. Constantly learning new things. Very friendly, comfortable environment, great relationships created with long time customers!
good opportunity for growth
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 August 2016
good company to work for although all corporate store are for sale and job security is not great. well run company with support teams for continued success within the stores
Great Environment
Sales Associate/ retail (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 June 2016
I love the working environment. The people and customers are amazing. I have a passion for animals so it makes work fun. I learned so much about animals and animal health. Hardest part would online be re-stocking cans because it is so time consuming.
Productive, sufficient and fun environment to work in.
Sales Representative and Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 March 2016
A typical day at work involves the normal sales associate duties such as helping customers, assisting co-workers with tasks, and perform duties assigned in the store. I have learned a lot about how to properly care for domesticated animals, what the best diets, treats, suitable toys are and more. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers create the best life for their pets in regards to their health and well-being. We get to do this by providing products that enhance the care given to the animal along with a proper diet.

2.6