Pet Valu Employee Review

Hard work, but excellent training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 June 2013
**I worked for Pet Valu the corporation, not a franchise. This review is strictly based on working at a corporate location. **

Pet Valu has an excellent training program. I felt very confident with the knowledge they armed me with for dealing with customers. They had exams that every employee was required to take, as well as seminars that were put on by the different pet food companies.

It can be a lot of hard work. It's not just front end work like a lot of people expect. A lot of it is dealing with delivery; hauling bag after bag of 40lb dog food bags (or cat litter!) onto shelves that are well over your head.

Pet Valu, for an 8 hour shift, gives you one unpaid 30 min break...and that's it. They say that you can have 2 15's...but if you try and take one you're in a lot of trouble. You're constantly on call (no matter what your position is), the district manager (at the time) was not a very nice person (trying to be polite here). That's not just my opinion, it was known chain-wide.

Basically it's a good place to work if you don't mind being used a bit. They do teach you a lot about nutrition, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little for it.

Oh, and corporate sold our store to a franchiser even though they promised they wouldn't...so job security is kind of shaky.
Pros
Training program
Cons
Salary, Delivery, Inflexible with shifts

Other Pet Valu Employee Reviews

work overload for little pay
Sales Associate - Retail (Current Employee) –  380 alexander street salmon arm bc8 January 2018
The higher ups expect way too much for the pay they call "competitive wages"
they should focus on keeping the good staff with wage incentives instead of going through countless time wasters.
Pros
great manager!!!
Cons
under appreciated
Flexible hours. Great to work with pets
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB1 January 2018
Flexible hours.The staff culture was great the management was not so good at the time. The most enjoyable thing was you got to meet so many new pets and their owners.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5