Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
not a good company
Senior Manager - Operations and Logistics (Current Employee), TorontoJune 24, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: no support from senior leadership team
Company cannot handle change
senior leadership team does not support management
employees on floor holds the company at ransome
Retail done differently
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 3, 2014
Pros: meeting a new animal friends
Cons: higher-up management, constant changes of management
A typical day of work consisted of the opening procedure of the store, counting the money, dealing with customers, acting as both the cashier and sales associate, and finally closing the store. That closely summarizes the typical job at Pet-Valu, such as simple and straight-forward, however I would like to add that Pet-Valu is much more than just that. – more... Pet-Valu is a retail job at a much slower pace with the advantage of dealing with the occasional pet that walks in. Mainly, the job consisted of up-selling certain products over others and educating the customer with the best choices.
Advantages consisted of working with sweet and gentle co-workers, as well as having time to relax and have things done at a certain pace. Since Pet-Valu isn't a huge retail store, employees get to meet, interact and work with management on a daily basis and communicate whatever difficulties they may have.
However, I can't say that working at Pet-Valu is perfect either. There is lots to learn while on the job. Training consists of hours of training videos and workbooks to learn the basics of all types of animal nutrition to teach the customers. However without prior knowledge and experience with all types of animals, giving advice to customers regarding certain things can be difficult.
Furthermore, since some locations are franchised and others corporate, there are differences between the two. I have worked in both types, where the franchised owner is on top of everything related to money and as an employee, you learn to be very careful with how you count money. While in corporate, the higher-ups are constantly changing managers around to where they were better 'suited'. So a big disadvantage would be getting used to dealing with different managers and changes in corporate. – less
fun place to work. cant move up though
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Courtice, ONJune 3, 2014
good place to work for a highschool student. cant really move up or get a raise. hours arent the best either
Rewarding job with a positive atmosphere.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 2, 2014
Pros: neighborhood regulars.
Customer service with a smile.
Accurate product knowledge.
Booking grooming appointments.
Inventory.
Handling and processing cash and debit/credit.

Best part of this job is the daily interaction with the neighborhood pets.
very friendly and productive environment
Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee), Markham, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: very open and flexible environment, great manager
Cons: high call volume
Pet Valu HelpDesk is a very friendly environment to work in. It can get pretty intense with the call volume and technical issues therefore, to have a comfortable environment around you makes things less stressful. People are always greeting one another and assisting with difficult issues. We consider ourselves to be more of a team than anything else. – more... Leadership always plays a role in the work environment and this helps others stay motivated and disciplined in the workplace. – less
Pet Products Retail Company
QA Lead (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 21, 2014
Pros: smaller teams, quicker decisions
Cons: hard to bring change
Pet Food and Supplies manufacturing and retail. Small sized company with good talent in the team.
Great place to be
Store Manager/ Pet Expert (Current Employee), Prince Albert, SKApril 16, 2014
Pros: cute animals
Cons: low pay, low hours
I love working here, love the online training you receive, customer interaction, donations to the local pet charities and adoption days.
Fun Loving customers on a daily basis
Customer Service (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Meeting new people and their pets. Helping customers find the best diet for their furry family member. All staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Favourite part is seeing excited pets come in for treats.
The best part-time job I've ever had.
Pet Expert/Customer Service (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, casual dress, incentives
A normal day involves maintaining the store - facing, cleaning, remerchandising, etc.
As pet experts, we provide information to customers about their pets (canines, felines, avian, small animal, and reptile). We answer questions regarding housing, nutrition, play, and even fashion.

The management was outstanding. They took into consideration our suggestions, – more... even letting us take complete lead on some substantial projects. They were approachable, and helpful, and treated you like more than a subordinate.

My co-workers were friendly, and easy to get along with. They were hard workers, and made sure to ask questions when they weren't sure.

I have nothing bad to say about the job at all. It's very enjoyable. The work is not hard, but you need to know a lot about the products, because you want to provide the right answers. Even learning was fun.

Great job. – less
Fast paced, never a dull moment with a team of good-humoured people.
Trades Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Royal Crest Court, Markham, OntarioFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: seasonal get together parties, like our annual summer barbecue
Cons: long hours when required
- A typical day at work would be meeting deadlines for biweekly invoice pay dates and other projects.
- From my first day at work, I learned how to perform various task according to priorities.
- Management and co-workers work closely together to resolve problems and issues.
- The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done at – more... the end of the day or week – less
The most enjoyable part of the job
Customer Service (Former Employee), Grand Falls, New BrunswickJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: loved my clientele and my co-workers
Cons: the store closed there doors
I had a client who came in not happy with what another company had offered to him. So I ask him all the questions just to be able to know exactly what he was looking for. After an half an hour I finally showed him what he needed and the client left happy. The next day he came back and thank me for the good service and the right product. There's nothing – more... that makes me happier then having a client leaving my store happy. So that is one thing I love about customer service.
I learned that if you give your 100% at your job every day that you will full fill a lot in your life and you learn a lot of things. – less
Fun place to work, but has its flaws
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Goderich, ONJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: extreamly friendly work enviroment
Cons: poor managment skills
Pet Valu is an extremely fun place to work, you get to work with animals all day and help people get what's best for there animals. Unfortunately the management in the store I work in is very forgetful and needs reminders of things regularly. For the most part though it is an amazing place to work.
Productive environment
Customer Service (Former Employee), Fergus, OnJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: good working environment, friendly people
Cons: not to many customers
I really enjoyed working at Pet Valu, A typical day at work was greeting all the customers as they walk in the door and asking them if they needed any help finding anything, I was also responsible for cleaning the work space (sweep, mop, dust, ect.) I would work alone most days so I was responsible of the whole store, re-stocking shelves, checking out – more... customer, processing returns and helping the customer find what they needed. I learned a lot working at pet valu like how to use the till and money management skills, I also learned about animals and types of food for them. The hardest part of my job was memorizing all the food but after a while it sticks into your brain. My co-workers were very nice and we never had any problems it was a very good working environment. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I helped a customer find something or understand something because when I saw them happy it made me feel like I helped them and so it made me happy. – less
Pet Valu was a great place to work people and pet were always a lot of fun
Manager/Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2014
i loved working at Pet Valu all the staff and owners were great and the customers human and other wise aways a treat
A strong retailer providing great insight into the Pet supplies business.
Manager, Planning and Analysis (Former Employee), Markham, OnNovember 19, 2013
A typical day involved looking at KPIs and identifying potential drivers, together with the necessary analysis ( data scrubbing) that goes with this.
Good work environment
Customer Service/Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2013
I did my college placement here, the staff is nice and helpful.
Great staff, happy environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Shelburne, ONAugust 30, 2013
Pros: lots of free time
Cons: slow pace
I learnt many valuable skills
the days were very long due to a slow pace environment
manager is great and very flexible
Awesome place to work
Nutritionist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 21, 2013
Pros: helping rescues
Cons: no benefits
Loved working here, it was great! I had fun and loved the people and customers!!
My experience
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee), Dunnville OntarioAugust 14, 2013
Cons: not enough hours/ poor pay
Working at Pet Valu there are many responsibilities.

A typical day at work for me is making sure the animals have fresh food and water and their cages are presentable for when customers come into the store.

I have learned many new things about different types of animals and nutritional facts about them so I can provide my best knowledge to any questions – more... a customer may have, about what certain foods or medications they are thinking about for their animal.

The management at Pet Valu is great. Being a corporate store we do have a lot of pressure on us to meet certain sale requirements and if we aren't meeting them there is always a lot of help to try new things to find what will work best for all of us employees.

My co- workers are great, we all get along and we all work together to get the job done!

The hardest part of my job is when my manager is away on holidays, I take on most of the responsibilities to make sure the store is kept the way is should be.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with new people everyday, helping them, listening to them, and also meeting there pets. – less
Great until the US bought it
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2013
PV was the best place to work until the Americans took over. Now its all politics and paperwork

1 2 3

About Pet Valu

The Pet Valu family of stores includes Pet Valu, Paulmac’s Pet Food and Bosley’s, and together they are one of the – Read more