Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

10 years of sercive at pet valu
Store owner Pet Valu (Former Employee), Selkirk, MBApril 19, 2016
Enjoy helping customers
Love seeing customers pets
Participated in fun off site events
Hardest was hiring good staff that wanted to learn the products
learned lots about nutrition
Productive, sufficient and fun environment to work in.
Sales Representative and Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee), Pickering, ONMarch 30, 2016
A typical day at work involves the normal sales associate duties such as helping customers, assisting co-workers with tasks, and perform duties assigned in the store. I have learned a lot about how to properly care for domesticated animals, what the best diets, treats, suitable toys are and more. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers create the best life for their pets in regards to their health and well-being. We get to do this by providing products that enhance the care given to the animal along with a proper diet.
A Day in the Life at Pet Valu
Store Clerk (Current Employee), Lindsay, ONMarch 29, 2016
A typical day working at Pet Valu consists of a fun working environment where the team members work together to accomplish the set goals of the day. Working here, I have gained many skills from interpersonal skills to handling cash and merchandising. The most enjoyable part of this job is communicating with customers, and providing them with the knowledge necessary to make appropriate decisions when talking about different pet foods.
Low pay, negative work experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Duncan, BCFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: See pets
Cons: Negative work environment
Part time customer service job, like working with customers and their pets. Negative management, nothing acceptable, constant negative comments on everything. Cares mostly about cleaning rather than customers, which is not what the company goal is about. Will only pay minimum wage, will not negotiate, if you want to do the company training, you have to do it at home, won't pay for that.
Great place to START your working career
Cashier/Stocked Shelves (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Pros: Payed Lunches. Great Hours, Friendly Staff
Cons: Family Owned Business, Small Business, Lower than Minimum wage Pay/hour
Fun place to work during High School
Lots of Down time to do Homework.
Not very busy family owned business.
Lots of knowledge on Pets and there food.
Awesome customers, and very interactive.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: working with animals
Cons: demanding
From open

stock count, serve customers, orders, schedules for staff, plan events, bank runs, clean, weekly conference calls,
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Duncan, BCJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: All sorts of animals to meet
Cons: Needs more animals
Always room to learn more about all kinds of products and animals; constantly getting to meet new people and their pets and addressing their needs with confidence. The Manager and Assistant Manager are both very personable and still have authority and respect.
Disorganized and forever undecided.
Sales Associate/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee), Casselman, ONJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: Animals, Regular Customer & Most Employees
Cons: Everything Else...
These people can't make up their minds, they keep trash people and fire good people with the lame "the company is going in a different direction".

Upper management has no knowledge of actually running a retail store, they don't work in them and won't learn to work in them. You work hard for minimum wage, often alone.

No chance for advancement, but they'll let you run the store for less than the actual store manager makes. That's called taking advantage!!! Don't ask to transfer, you will be treated new, with same pay and barely any hours.

There is NO praise within this company. You are not allowed to be creative and everything is "store standards".

Never complain about a fellow employee, nothing will be done! As well, don't get pregnant ladies, you are still expected to do this physical job with no help... and if you want reduced physical work, you need to provide notes throughout your pregnancy.

You have a better chance at any one of this company's competitors!
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Meeting new people and petting their pets.
Cons: I don't know where to start
I worked hard for these horrible corporate people for 10 long years of my life. How they thanked me was by letting me go. They gave me the same lame excuse that they give to employees that they have no use of anymore which was "We are going in a different direction". I had 6 different District Managers in 5 years, they come and go. Each one of them come in to your store, and boss you around as if they know everything, they tell you to move things around and look down on you, and leave. It happens with every new district manager, and people from the head office. They suck the life out of you, they expect you to put your life on hold for Petvalu. Your hard work is not even appreciated, and you don't even get a raise, you'll be luck to get a ten cent raise. They should run a chain of sweat shops not a chain of pet stores. In spite of all that, I really miss my coworkers and my regular customers whom I become too attached to. A few of them still call me once in a while to chat, and I always hear that a lot of them still ask for me and say "Hi". If you want to keep your sanity stay away from Petvalu, go get a real job where you can get somewhere.
sales
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 28, 2015
enjoyed working with all co workers. great location. busy at times.
I learned a lot about different types of animals and how to handle customers
Pet Valu
For Co-op in highschool (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 27, 2015
Had no issues what so ever while working at Pet Valu for my co-op. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned how to stock, talk too customers and assure them what food type might be best for their pet and even learned how to work on cash. I was very appreciative that they let me do my placement there.
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 1, 2015
Pros: Easygoing with hours
Cons: will not review performance honestly
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Horrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee), OntarioNovember 27, 2015
Pros: co-workers, seeing pets daily
Cons: Management, duties too much for pay level
Took this job as I love helping people and ensuring pets can have the highest quality of life possible. This place was a nightmare. The manager did nothing but bully an belittle staff members, and going into work everyday was horrible as you knew what you were going into. The only good thing about the job was the co-workers. Made complaints to higher up management and nothing was done, which I have heard happens all the time. Save your self the headache as you are only paid minimum wage, and the amount and whats expected of you is way to high.
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 8, 2015
Pros: Great community, Feel good work, flexible hours
Cons: Full time is rare, no benefits, no room for promotion
The atmosphere at pet valu is great. The workers are friendly and the customer base is ordinarily pleasant. You get to work with cats from the humane society which is great for cat lovers. The amount you can learn in a sort period of time about pet products is crazy. If you have pets at home you can apply the knowledge learned to your own pets health. There is even a paid time frame given to new employees to complete pet video courses provided from the university of california. All of these things are great; however, the stores are normally full for employment. It is hard to not only be hired on full time but, also be promoted with more responsibility and higher pay.
nice place to work
Bookkeeper for 2 independent small businesses (Current Employee), North BaySeptember 24, 2015
great people,
very knowledgeable about pets and foods
great pricing
great working hours
good looking store always clean
good inventory always have what I need
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food StoreSeptember 13, 2015
Pros: diverse customers
Cons: unable to trust management
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Wonderful place to work
Retail Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I've learnt so much about customer service as well as animals in my time working here. The atmosphere is wonderful and the staff are very friendly.
Lots of perks
Retail Sales Supervisor (Current Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Great discounts
Cons: no cons
Great Employers if you're a hard working individual capable of the demanding tasks of the job. Never a dull moment. The dogs are great to see.
Enjoyable and a learning experience
Groomer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at Pet Valu would be, I would go in around noon and help with bathing the owners dogs as well as cutting their nails if they needed them done. I would also walk around the store examining the different products and interact with the customers. What I have learned here is where all the different products are located as well as helping customers find what they are looking for if I know where it is.
Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ajax, ONAugust 14, 2015
Pros: I love animals, so hearing customers stories always made my day.
Cons: Being by myself
Pet Valu was a great place to work. Although when I worked there, I was alone. That was the only downfall. Other than that, the customers were wonderful and my coworkers were very welcoming and helpful.