Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Fun place to meet pet lovers and also work with great staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 August 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job is the pets who come in to visit as you get to watch them grow up, learn new things or just become attached to them. Customers are different than if you worked in a mall retail setting as they have more patients for you, listen more and happy.
The management can be different from store to store that you work at as it depends on the person I find an how they run the store they work at.
The culture is a fun one but can be stressful at times especially during event times or making sure your reaching the sale targets because you want to succeed for the store and the company.
Hardest part of the job is truck, finding out a customers pet has passed away, or moving.
You learn a lot about yourself, the pet life style, people.
Pros
Pets, events to attend, Always learning new things
Cons
Not many weekends off
Great job if u like pets
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON st.clair10 August 2017
It is a fun job if u are interested in pets and thier nutrition. Always nice to help a pet owner find a solution. Franchises are bad, bad communication, lack of organization and no job security. The first franchise owner told me I had no rights, and the second wanted to book me while I was supposed to be in school, no flexible scheduling is a issue, over all loved the job, couldn't work with my manager, so disorganized and disrespectful
Pros
Animals, learn alot
Cons
Really bad management
Corporate Store Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia1 August 2017
Whether or not a corporate store is enjoyable almost entirely depends on your in-store manager. In two and a half years at this store, I have had 3 permanent managers and 1 temporary and about a three month period where there was no manager and the staff was just expected to do management tasks with no pay increase to reflect the added responsibilities. The manager in the store truly does make or break the position.

This is a company that will definitely walk all over you if you allow them to. If you are a teenager or young adult looking for an easy enough part time position while in school, this is a decent job. Depending on your manager, you might struggle to get time off for academic reasons. I had to provide proof of my exam schedule before a manager would allow me to have time off in December.

The upper management is, for the most part, useless. They micromanage little things while completely missing the big things that would really improve workplace culture. I have been through four district managers and have been consistently underwhelmed by their personalities.

Pet Valu makes it very difficult for a store manager to get rid of an employee who is under performing. Which is great if you're a slack employee but it really brings a negative feeling to the rest of the staff who are left to pick up the slack.

You are supposed to get a yearly performance review and, if you meet or exceed expectations, a raise. In my time, I've gotten one performance review (should be three). Despite being in 'exceeds expectations', was told I would be marked simply as 'meets expectations'
  more... which would have been fine but they followed that comment up with a $0.17 raise. Yes, seventeen cents. It is safe to say they truly see staff as highly replaceable with no desire to retain the good people.  less
Pros
Puppies
Cons
Literally everything else.
Fun place to help customers with specific needs
Sales Associate - Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2017
I love working at pet valu, the atmosphere is fun and welcoming! I specifically enjoy the opportunities to assist customers in their specific needs for their pets.
Pros
great training program given when you're first hired
Cons
starts at minimum wage
Fun place to work and start in the pet industry
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON24 July 2017
Company has really great core values and gives great product knowledge in the training. You get to work with animals and diagnose their problems through their dietary issues. Staff changes often due to lack of knowledge or willingness to learn. Not a great student job.
Pros
work with animals
Cons
lack of work flexibility
Fun Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2017
For a part time retail job it can be a great environment, but most of the stores are franchises and the culture, pay and benefits can fluctuate. It pays like a part-time job but you are required to obtain a great deal of knowledge, and that just is not recognized and reflected by management. But, the customers are usually awesome and bring their pets in, so that's always a plus.
It was a job
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 July 2017
I'm not going to bash or become negative, the person that was managing the store didn't understand how to. Over all was a good person and just needed some guidance to direct him into the right path.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Hours
Time will go by excruciatingly slow.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2017
Learned about pet food ingredients, no doubt. But, there are hardly any customers throughout the day, and most of the customers who do come in will typically know exactly what they are going to buy before they even came in, so they often don't need your assistance... so you find yourself pacing a lot throughout the tiny store for the most part. Worked a full day here, and by the end of the day I knew it wasn't for me. And on top of all this, they didn't even pay me for my shift, despite agreeing to pay me and telling me my wage. Not worth it.
Cons
Not many customers, not much to do, lots of standing
don't expect to be valued
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB28 June 2017
not worth the amount of work you have piled on you for minimum wage. there is no support from head office, the people they send to check store standards snub their noses at employees and the managers kiss their butts. it doesn't matter if you've worked here for 4 years or 2 months you'll all make minimum wage. the nutritional training is awesome though, i really enjoyed the training videos and programs.
Pros
discounts, excellent nutritional training, meeting pets
Cons
poor management, no support from head office, no safety training, staff are told they have no rights, no pay increase for long term staff, manager picks favorites and schedules everyone else to accommodate
Interesting
PART TIME EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  wininpeg22 June 2017
A typical day at work consisted of cleaning, facing and working the till. I learned that patience is key when working retail and maintaining a positive attitude is a good thing to do.
Pros
discounted pet food
Cons
little to no shifts
Not family-friendly.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2017
I had this position for 8 years. I had year wage increases, but, even though I worked 40 hours a week, I was a part-timer and received no benefits.
Once the minimum wage went up, all of my advancements were null and void. I made the same as the new untrained people walking in.

I became a single parent with little support, and was reprimanded for not being able to work all the days they wanted me to, because I didn't have daycare on those days.

I left because of it.
Pros
I met many great people.
Cons
Not family-friendly.
great co-workers, lousy management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey-White Rock, BC1 June 2017
Overall enjoyed working with my co-workers, however my manager was very rude and disrespectful to staff. When you voiced concerns or ideas she completely talked over you. No listening skills at all. Manager consistently came in too early and left when we were very busy. Forget talking to upper management as they lacked basic communication skills and basically wanted you to "make it work". Not worth it.
Pros
Helping customers find the right product for their pet.
Cons
Poor communication, low pay, bad management.
Great Learning Opportunities
Key holder/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 June 2017
Pet Valu was a fantastic place to work. The schooling alone for better understanding on pet nutrition was phenomenal. The customers are great and head office when they get their stuff together works well.
Decent company but room for improvement
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 May 2017
They keep management busy but hire poor employees and expect you to build them up. Challenges in the workplace include standing for long periods of time and quickly resolving problems. Great training is provided and ongoing support is always there.
Pros
Great training
Cons
Alot of down time
Fun work environment, lots of pets come in, great customers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON7 May 2017
Overall decent place to work. The pay does not equal what you are expected to know/do. Lack of communication issues. Feedback is not listened to. Above average training
Fun and knowledgable workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
Pet Valu is a place where you want to inspire pet owners to provide theirs pets with a healthy and happy life. Weather its an allergy, health problem or just wanting to keep your pet healthy, we will know what you need.
Pros
Work with cats, happy customers, fun environment, good boss
Cons
not full-time
Great clients. Terrible staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata (March Road)3 April 2017
Staff and manager are rude. They have no respect for other employees. They don't take in consideration of workers needs. I would not recommend this job at this location (kanata) To anyone.
Pros
animals and customers are fantastic
Cons
rude and dissrespectful managment
I loved this job!
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2017
I loved working with animals and building customer relationships. Overall the duties and job description weren't too complicated, easy straight forward daily operations. Where this company rates low for me is job security and advancement. The stores aren't managed well, and the company does not value it's employees. I could have retired from this "job" if the company had invested in me as much as I invested into it.
Pros
Working with animals.
Cons
Working with people.
Good company values
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON28 March 2017
The company is a very good organization that is interested in having its stores succeed.
The hours are good
The pay is minimum wage
Depending on the owner they are very nice
Flexible with scheduling
Good for entry level - not for anything else
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  BC24 March 2017
Corporate review - I haven't worked in a franchise store.
You start at minimum wage and pretty much STAY at minimum wage. Once a year raises at 1-3 % of current wage amounts to 12-35 CENTS at a time (in BC) pretty much a slap in the face to anyone expecting a decent raise for hard work.
You will get better raises just waiting for provincial minimum to go up.
No support or respect for anyone underneath management.
Often work alone and expect to complete numerous tasks (a lot of which are out of sight of the front door) while also taking care of customers at the highest level possible.
No break room or office in some locations.
Unpaid overtime.
Ridiculous hours. Open until 9pm EVERY weekday.
Usually understaffed since the corporate management gets bonuses for keeping their staff hours down.
Unfortunately I could go on.
Anything less than management should be a high school students job or someone just entering the work force, for anyone else with experience it is not worth it.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5