Pet Valu Employee Reviews

good opportunity for growth
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 22, 2016
good company to work for although all corporate store are for sale and job security is not great. well run company with support teams for continued success within the stores
It's not playing with pets all day
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSAugust 21, 2016
If you wish to be micromanaged and your rights to be ignored then this corporate giant is for you. Believe me, even though the staff are all smiles when you walk in, and there's a cute cat to look at, everyone is miserable. (Especially in Dartmouth)
Great part time job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONAugust 12, 2016
If you're lucky enough to have animals for adoption at the store you work at it's a really fun experience, getting those animals adopted is a really rewarding experience.

My store manager was great but people higher up in the company are out of touch.
Pros
cute animals all day
Cons
minimum wage
Not a professional or safe enviornment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BCAugust 9, 2016
Management was very unpleasant to work for. My co-workers were amazing but didn't stay long in the job due to their problem with the managers.I built a lot of cliental and gained a ton of experience. The hardest part was dealing with management and their lack of communication skills. I really think that human resources or head office should get involved and make sure they are treating employees with respect.
Pros
Great clients
Sale associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONAugust 3, 2016
Learned great things about all the animals and about all of the type of toys for all the dogs and cats, not to mention the rabbits and other animals that were at the shop.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Sometimes the hours weren't what I would have liked
Good learning experience but poor compensation
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova ScotiaJuly 19, 2016
I worked as a sales associate in a franchise store for three years, and then in a corporate store several years later for 3 short months before being promoted to manager of a brand new location. I was hired as a manager with little previous management experience but a lot of passion and knowledge within the company.

Initially, I was on cloud nine. I learned a lot of things in a short period of time and loved my day to day work. Regular customers, seeing cool new pet products, learning about things i care about and interacting with like minded people. Coworkers at the store level were great and my first DSM was very supportive. Scheduling, ordering, merchandising to store standards and stock count procedures are some of the main rocks.

Things change a lot and communication is poor. There is little praise from upper management and rude and demeaning comments have been made to me as well as my staff. Labour hours are very limited and you really struggle to complete all expectations within what is allowed. You and your staff will spend a LOT of time alone in the store which poses safety risks and can be stressful during busy times. No one wants to wait at the counter. And no on wants to see a customer leave because they couldn't be served fast enough. A lot of pressure put on store appearance and things being exactly a certain way, when realistically, it is hard to constantly meet these expectations while still being able to serve customers and answer their many questions. Hourly compensation is poor and advancement in this department is hard to get.

Customers are a
  more... big plus and you will have a lot of fun interacting with them. Extensive product knowledge and genuine care and empathy is required because these guests put a lot of faith in you. It is ultimately a labour of love. Turnover in store manager roles seems high, at least in my district. It is a good place to build skills for your resume and move along to a company with better Human Resource Management and compensation.  less
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Upper management / politics, little labour hours
Favorite job I've ever had
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 6, 2016
A typical day at work would be grooming 5 or so dogs, working with them really makes my day, I truly love my job.
The most I've learned working here is dog behaviors and how to treat them.
Management has been amazing, I am sad to leave my store, I would work there for the rest of my life if I could because management and co-workers are the best people I've ever met.
The hardest part of the job would be getting difficult dogs to groom, because they are unpredictable and or nervous. It's hard sometimes to finish the job as best you can but sometimes you can only do so much without traumatizing or harming them.
Most enjoyable part of the job would be how the dogs feel after they get groomed, you can tell they feel 100% better afterwards and the look on their owners faces when they see them and how happy it makes them makes my job the best thing ever.
Pros
best place to work
Cons
having to leave
Fun environment that let me meet different people and gave me more responsibility
Sales Associate(Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
working in Pet Valu was amazing because of the positive atmosphere. everyone is so friendly and nice to work with because they all try to help as soon as their jobs are over. I learned to be punctual and more responsible because Pet valu is a pet store which means there are animals that need to be fed so I learned never to be late because then the animals would be the ones who will suffer from my actions. the most enjoyable part of the job is hanging out with the different dog breeds that enter the store and taking care of the rabbits and hamsters in the store.
work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2016
customer service cash stock product knowledge open and close sales truck delivery coworkers are all friendly management is fair helped customers with new pets
Fun place to work, bad experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  OntarioJune 27, 2016
I had many problems with my location. From being left alone for 6-7 hours with no chance for a break to gossip being out of control.
Very unorganized and no place for advancement.
Although the job did have its upside - animals, getting to meet some great people
It wasn't worth it in the end for what I was getting paid.
Oh and don't get sick because there's never anyone to cover shifts suck it up buttercup.
Pros
Animals, some customers
Cons
Got left alone with no breaks, running the store alone for much less than manager pay, hard work for minimum wage, nasty customers
Best time ever.
Assistant Store Manager/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 22, 2016
This was my first job and the most fun. All the staff got along so well and I worked my way up to become the Assistant Manager. We had a photography room, doggy daycare, grooming, and a cat adoption room. When you are surrounded with that many animals and great people it is really hard to dislike your job.
Dream job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, ONJune 17, 2016
I waited to work for this company for many years, was happy to get the job. Most co-workers are fun and capable.The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers, trying to find the best solution to their problems, That and meeting all the pets people bring in.
Pros
People and their pets
Cons
Little advancement available
Great Environment
Sales Associate/ retail (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 9, 2016
I love the working environment. The people and customers are amazing. I have a passion for animals so it makes work fun. I learned so much about animals and animal health. Hardest part would online be re-stocking cans because it is so time consuming.
Slow Days, Cool Boss, A lot of cleaning and stocking
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2016
Pet Valu isn't the busiest company. It has slow traffic and just the usual people come in usually the same day same time.

there is a lot of cleaning and stocking of shelves cause there isn't much else to do.

I had a great boss though that understood that, but still expected me to finish tasks during my work day but allowed me to complete my school work when those were done.
One of the most enjoyable jobs!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABMay 26, 2016
It's a fun atmosphere that promotes learning and educating customers. Getting to interact with a variety of people and animals on a daily basis is the best part of the job!!
Horrible company
Sales (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 15, 2016
I worked for petvalu for about two years and the last year of that was absolutely horrible. When I started with this company it had a good solid team at the store and things got done and were taken care of pretty well. As time went on I saw more managers and district managers in and out of the store staff being shuffled and things were starting to slide. Upper management was horrible, they had unrealistic goals on their staff with low to no benefits low pay, no benefits, average discount, no training, and then it was our fault when things didn't get done properly. One of the biggest problems was the lack of training especially for the newer stuff that I saw that came in after me. The list is long and extensive of what was wrong with this company, I was excited to get out of this company. This is definitely not a long-term job and just something for students to get by and through school while moving on to bigger and better because anything is definitely better than petvalu.
Pros
Customers and animals
Cons
Everything else.
One of the worst jobs i have worked.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
I barely worked there. About a months time and it felt forever.

Was hired on the spot and given a key, only training is for how to work the till -no training about procedures or anything.

Expected to know and understand everything without being shown, not eased into physical work no 15 mins of break only unpaid 30 mins.

Manager talks about current and ex employees behind their backs to other employees and customers and thinks its ok to yell at an employee and say they have no right to speak.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Negative team, no training, lying and drama.
Ideal place to work for student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 2, 2016
Very good environment nice employees and good hours so that school isn`t interfered with. Customers often very nice and opportunity to interact with pets is a bonus
Pros
Good leniant hours for school
Cons
sometimes not enough hours as i`d like
Experience depends heavily on management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 29, 2016
I believe PetValu offers a great place to work for pet-lovers looking for a minimum wage part-time job. However, experience will vary heavily on who is managing the store, or who owns the franchise.

Thunder Bay stores are all under one owner. The co-workers at all locations are decent, humble people who will be helpful. However, there is a grim undercurrent of worry among them that stems from management's role in maintaining sales pressure and maintaining the bottom line as low as possible. Management at my location didn't even know what the ESA (Employment Standards Act) was. Training is mandatory for the job and is job specific, and takes about 10 hours. This was expected to be done on the workers time and unpaid. This is indicative of the kind of workplace you can expect in Thunder Bay. The customers, products, and workers will make the job decent. Management can be a hassle and may treat you like just another animal.