Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

Disorganized and forever undecided.
Sales Associate/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ONJanuary 22, 2016
These people can't make up their minds, they keep trash people and fire good people with the lame "the company is going in a different direction".

Upper management has no knowledge of actually running a retail store, they don't work in them and won't learn to work in them. You work hard for minimum wage, often alone.

No chance for advancement, but they'll let you run the store for less than the actual store manager makes. That's called taking advantage!!! Don't ask to transfer, you will be treated new, with same pay and barely any hours.

There is NO praise within this company. You are not allowed to be creative and everything is "store standards".

Never complain about a fellow employee, nothing will be done! As well, don't get pregnant ladies, you are still expected to do this physical job with no help... and if you want reduced physical work, you need to provide notes throughout your pregnancy.

You have a better chance at any one of this company's competitors!
Pros
Animals, Regular Customer & Most Employees
Cons
Everything Else...
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 8, 2015
The atmosphere at pet valu is great. The workers are friendly and the customer base is ordinarily pleasant. You get to work with cats from the humane society which is great for cat lovers. The amount you can learn in a sort period of time about pet products is crazy. If you have pets at home you can apply the knowledge learned to your own pets health. There is even a paid time frame given to new employees to complete pet video courses provided from the university of california. All of these things are great; however, the stores are normally full for employment. It is hard to not only be hired on full time but, also be promoted with more responsibility and higher pay.
Pros
Great community, Feel good work, flexible hours
Cons
Full time is rare, no benefits, no room for promotion
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I worked hard for these horrible corporate people for 10 long years of my life. How they thanked me was by letting me go. They gave me the same lame excuse that they give to employees that they have no use of anymore which was "We are going in a different direction". I had 6 different District Managers in 5 years, they come and go. Each one of them come in to your store, and boss you around as if they know everything, they tell you to move things around and look down on you, and leave. It happens with every new district manager, and people from the head office. They suck the life out of you, they expect you to put your life on hold for Petvalu. Your hard work is not even appreciated, and you don't even get a raise, you'll be luck to get a ten cent raise. They should run a chain of sweat shops not a chain of pet stores. In spite of all that, I really miss my coworkers and my regular customers whom I become too attached to. A few of them still call me once in a while to chat, and I always hear that a lot of them still ask for me and say "Hi". If you want to keep your sanity stay away from Petvalu, go get a real job where you can get somewhere.
Pros
Meeting new people and petting their pets.
Cons
I don't know where to start
Great workplace , no job advancement
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 15, 2015
Petvalu is a wonderful company to work for, especially if you have an amazing manager like I did. My manager had endless knowledge that was open minded and not one sided. The biggest con, you could lose your job at any time if your not a franchise. And If your upper boss doesn't like you (not for work ethic) but on a personal level . No matter how hard your manager tries you will never move up and get horrible excuses why you aren't .
Pros
My manager, knowledge, working with animals/ rescues, most of your regulars
Cons
Upper management, drama, no advancement, no benefits
Experience depends heavily on management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 29, 2016
I believe PetValu offers a great place to work for pet-lovers looking for a minimum wage part-time job. However, experience will vary heavily on who is managing the store, or who owns the franchise.

Thunder Bay stores are all under one owner. The co-workers at all locations are decent, humble people who will be helpful. However, there is a grim undercurrent of worry among them that stems from management's role in maintaining sales pressure and maintaining the bottom line as low as possible. Management at my location didn't even know what the ESA (Employment Standards Act) was. Training is mandatory for the job and is job specific, and takes about 10 hours. This was expected to be done on the workers time and unpaid. This is indicative of the kind of workplace you can expect in Thunder Bay. The customers, products, and workers will make the job decent. Management can be a hassle and may treat you like just another animal.
Pros
People who love animals
Cons
Owners and management
Horrible company
Sales (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 15, 2016
I worked for petvalu for about two years and the last year of that was absolutely horrible. When I started with this company it had a good solid team at the store and things got done and were taken care of pretty well. As time went on I saw more managers and district managers in and out of the store staff being shuffled and things were starting to slide. Upper management was horrible, they had unrealistic goals on their staff with low to no benefits low pay, no benefits, average discount, no training, and then it was our fault when things didn't get done properly. One of the biggest problems was the lack of training especially for the newer stuff that I saw that came in after me. The list is long and extensive of what was wrong with this company, I was excited to get out of this company. This is definitely not a long-term job and just something for students to get by and through school while moving on to bigger and better because anything is definitely better than petvalu.
Pros
Customers and animals
Cons
Everything else.
Low pay, negative work experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCFebruary 29, 2016
Part time customer service job, like working with customers and their pets. Negative management, nothing acceptable, constant negative comments on everything. Cares mostly about cleaning rather than customers, which is not what the company goal is about. Will only pay minimum wage, will not negotiate, if you want to do the company training, you have to do it at home, won't pay for that.
Pros
See pets
Cons
Negative work environment
Productive, sufficient and fun environment to work in.
Sales Representative and Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONMarch 30, 2016
A typical day at work involves the normal sales associate duties such as helping customers, assisting co-workers with tasks, and perform duties assigned in the store. I have learned a lot about how to properly care for domesticated animals, what the best diets, treats, suitable toys are and more. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers create the best life for their pets in regards to their health and well-being. We get to do this by providing products that enhance the care given to the animal along with a proper diet.
One of the worst jobs i have worked.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
I barely worked there. About a months time and it felt forever.

Was hired on the spot and given a key, only training is for how to work the till -no training about procedures or anything.

Expected to know and understand everything without being shown, not eased into physical work no 15 mins of break only unpaid 30 mins.

Manager talks about current and ex employees behind their backs to other employees and customers and thinks its ok to yell at an employee and say they have no right to speak.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Negative team, no training, lying and drama.
Horrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 27, 2015
Took this job as I love helping people and ensuring pets can have the highest quality of life possible. This place was a nightmare. The manager did nothing but bully an belittle staff members, and going into work everyday was horrible as you knew what you were going into. The only good thing about the job was the co-workers. Made complaints to higher up management and nothing was done, which I have heard happens all the time. Save your self the headache as you are only paid minimum wage, and the amount and whats expected of you is way to high.
Pros
co-workers, seeing pets daily
Cons
Management, duties too much for pay level
A Day in the Life at Pet Valu
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONMarch 29, 2016
A typical day working at Pet Valu consists of a fun working environment where the team members work together to accomplish the set goals of the day. Working here, I have gained many skills from interpersonal skills to handling cash and merchandising. The most enjoyable part of this job is communicating with customers, and providing them with the knowledge necessary to make appropriate decisions when talking about different pet foods.
Great Managment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  bcJune 11, 2015
Love the company, training, products and the management! The co workers are great and its a fun place to work. However, salary is low and its hard to advance I was told by feller co workers. Still rate high.
Great place to START your working career
Cashier/Stocked Shelves (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Fun place to work during High School
Lots of Down time to do Homework.
Not very busy family owned business.
Lots of knowledge on Pets and there food.
Pros
Payed Lunches. Great Hours, Friendly Staff
Cons
Family Owned Business, Small Business, Lower than Minimum wage Pay/hour
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 1, 2015
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Pros
Easygoing with hours
Cons
will not review performance honestly
Ideal place to work for student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 2, 2016
Very good environment nice employees and good hours so that school isn`t interfered with. Customers often very nice and opportunity to interact with pets is a bonus
Pros
Good leniant hours for school
Cons
sometimes not enough hours as i`d like
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCJanuary 24, 2016
Always room to learn more about all kinds of products and animals; constantly getting to meet new people and their pets and addressing their needs with confidence. The Manager and Assistant Manager are both very personable and still have authority and respect.
Pros
All sorts of animals to meet
Cons
Needs more animals
10 years of sercive at pet valu
Store owner Pet Valu (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MBApril 19, 2016
Enjoy helping customers
Love seeing customers pets
Participated in fun off site events
Hardest was hiring good staff that wanted to learn the products
learned lots about nutrition
Can be a fun place to work.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONDecember 28, 2014
For the first five years I worked there it was a great place to work. It was a very friendly work environment and very customer service oriented. I also love the fact that we dealt with several animal rescues adopting out cats, small animals, and hosting adoption days where we showcased dogs for adoption. Now that there is a new store owner some of the new staff are not as customer service oriented and we have started selling animals instead of getting them from rescues. We still have cats for adoption from a rescue, but no longer small animals. Because each Pet Valu store has different owners whether its corporate or franchise, the work environment in each store tends to be very different. At the start of my job I was required to do some training in animal nutrition which has helped me a lot. Even though I have taken an animal nutrition course in school this went beyond that by teaching me the differences in food qualities, as well as the benefits of different types of food. Overall I had a good work experience at Pet Valu but I feel the work environment is changing.
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food StoreSeptember 13, 2015
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Pros
diverse customers
Cons
unable to trust management
Pet Valu
For Co-op in highschool (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 27, 2015
Had no issues what so ever while working at Pet Valu for my co-op. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned how to stock, talk too customers and assure them what food type might be best for their pet and even learned how to work on cash. I was very appreciative that they let me do my placement there.