Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Wonderful meeting new people and seeing regulars and interacting with their pets
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Windsor, ONApril 19, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: had to rely on someone to provide transportation
I've thoroughly enjoyed worked for the Pet Valu location. I've learned so much more in terms of customer service and have acquired very much knowledge in resolving issues and to accommodate the best solution possible for any customer.
I am a pet person, so I also loved seeing peoples pets come in the store as well as connect with their owners and engage in friendly conversation.
Fun to work at
Cashier (Current Employee), Whitby, ONApril 18, 2015
Pros: tons of dogs, really good manager, good hours
Cons: small back room
Working on a day to day bases was amazing there are sometimes where you are busy sometimes where you are slow and sometimes where there are no customers at all, this is a nice balance, it gives you the time to clean the store and put things away but it also doesn't leave you bored. I learned a lot and still learn a lot working in this job, when I first started I had to do about 16 hours of training just to start working and we continue to learn about new things new products and how to help in every day work life. My manager was the best manager i could have ever asked for or wanted. My manager is very understanding, compassionate and sensitive towards his customers and his employees. My co-workers were good I created a bond with them while working with them. the hardest part of the job is when a customer is just out to prove that they know more about a product then you. I have had this happen to me several time just cause you a food on a commercial doesn't mean it is the best food alive for your dog or cat. In these situation it can become very frustrating as I know what the wrong type of food can do to your cat and/or dog. Another part of the job that is hard is when people come into the store and they may not be treating the dog in the best way possible, unfortunately there is nothing that you can do for that dog and have to just try and get the owner to understand that a dog should be treated like one of the family. Now the most ENJOYABLE part of the job was see dogs come into the store and walk out happy and proud. At the pet valu that i work at there is a self serve dog wash, dogs come in all muddy and dirty and walk out nice and clean. Also you get a ton of doggy kisses and doggy love.
Was like a second home to me
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2015
I very much enjoyed working here because the staff were like family and I love animals. I enjoyed all the knowledge that was required to work there. The regular customers were a treat and I miss working in this type of environment.
Fun place to work. Very knowledgeable people
Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 24, 2015
People who work at pet valu are very loving and caring. Always ensuring your pet is receiving the proper nutrition it needs.
Fun workplace with regular customers and pets who brighten your day.
Storefront (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 22, 2015
Pros: flexiable hours, good co-workers
Cons: poor management and organization
Most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. Both the people and their pets who come into the store become part of you and the good store atmosphere.

Management was very unorganized which resulted in an unorganized store and no personal connection.

Lot of responsibility put onto individual employees, however, I was able to learn a lot from this.

Job included Greeting and assist customers, making recommendations.  ­ Creating and organizing displays,   ­ Placing orders, stocking shelves and keeping track of inventory, and opening or closing store independently.
Was a great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
Pros: very relaxed work atmosphere
Cons: not great pay
It was a great time in my life. The owner is still a close friend. Being retail it was tough with some of the customers, but overall a great experience.
AVOID if possible, unethical company!
Manager (Former Employee), ontario, CanadaFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: great nutritional training
Cons: everything else about the company
Work/Life Balance: if you're a store manager or district manager, there is no balance at all....Pet Valu monopolizes your time. It's not uncommon for managers and DMs to receive calls, emails and texts multiple times on their days off. Additionally, new hires are expected to complete over 40 hours of online training UNPAID and on their own time!

Salary: very low considering the expectations for store staff and managers. Manager's wages are based on store's sales, so if you have the misfortune of landing a low volume store, your wage will reflect (even though that is beyond your control and you're still do the same amount of work as someone managing a high volume store). In franchise stores the owners set the wages and this can either work in the employee’s favor or disadvantage depending on the franchisee, Head Office does not regulate franchise wages.

Job Security/Advancement: as a company, Pet Valu rarely promotes from within, turnover is alarmingly high-even for retail- and as an employee you do not feel valued. It's a very stressful place to work because you never know from one day to the next if you will be fired. It appears great employees are terminated for no reason...often.

Management: some store managers are worried about keeping their jobs while others do a terrible job and are kept on for some bizarre reason. The management styles of store managers vary from store to store, some are more positive (usually newer managers) while others are all doom and gloom. As for district managers, they each have their own agenda and will help store managers if it 'works into – more... their plans' (I've heard that term used countless times). If it's not to the district manager's benefit, they will not help store managers grow with the company and in store instances, will actively prevent managers from moving up.

Training: very outdated methods, lack of in store training. The corporate recruiter has never worked in a store and creates training 'checklists' from her desk at head office. Franchise owners are given a very involved training program but it is up to them to implement the training in their stores and pass the information onto their team and often times they don’t, which leaves staff confused and unclear on the expectations and execution of tasks.

Job Culture: unpleasant, everyone has their own agendas, a lot of gossip. If your Manager or District Manager doesn't want you to move up in the company...you won't. As mentioned previously, it's a stressful place to work because you're always looking over your shoulder and wondering if you're going to be next to get fired. Most stores have small teams and there have been several times when staff has to receive either part, or an entire, truck alone due to being short handed. Head Office provides very little support to stores and managers are pretty much on their own. The mentality at the store level is very much “corporate vs. franchise.” Pet Valu does an excellent job of bending over backwards to accommodate the franchisees’ needs/wants, but at the expense of corporate stores. – less
Productive and a great learning experience
Store Associate (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: weekend hours only
A typical day at work involved either opening or closing the store every shift. I provided customer service to a diverse amount of people. We were responsible for feeding and cleaning up after the animals. Every day we stocked the shelves and kept track of inventory. I learned a lot of responsibility while working at Pet Valu because I was given such large responsibilities such as a key to the store and the job of ensuring the tills were balanced and closing up properly. Also because I became in charge of training some of our new employees. My coworkers were also very diverse people who were supportive and helpful. Many of them are still my friends today although we no longer work together. The management could have been more understanding and easier to approach, they were not forgiving when it came to things such as school hours, which is something to me that is very important. The hardest part of the job would have been the heavy lifting and transporting. The most enjoyable part was providing the customer service and helping the ones in need. Also getting to know the regular ones. I really enjoyed interacted with the staff and customers.
excellent job
MANAGER (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABJanuary 16, 2015
I had many tasks but every day was different. Key focus was customer satisfaction to the highest level. I learned a lot about how to meet sales goals and how to motivate staff to also meet these goals.
Educational environment with focus on customer satisfaction and pet health
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee), Renfrew, ONJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere, small workforce, great customers
Cons: minimum wage, no benefits unless full-time, rarely hire full-time, management hard to contact
I had grown up wanting to work at "the pet store" (Pet Valu) as animals are not only a passion for me but a hobby. So saying I love my job is very much true. I love the close relationships you can nurture with regular customers and the opportunities you get to learn as much as you can about the products you are selling. Pet Valu offers a lot of knowledgeable information on Pet health and nutrition so our customers can be confident in what they are buying.

Being in a small store with less staff has proven beneficial as it provides a more trusting and fun environment but has also proven to be difficult to cover staff when one or more are sick.

The hardest part of my job, oddly enough, has nothing to do with the work I am to do on a daily basis and what is expected of me but the total lack of effort on Pet Valu's part towards their employees. It saddened me to see Pet Valu take a different approach and direction as it seems to be losing focus not only on it's employees but the customers as more pressure is pushed on employees to force customers to buy more. This proves hard when from a small town and most of the customers are regulars. I will have worked with the company 5 years in April 2015 and despite my best efforts and proving (by taking over an managers position for 3 months while keeping the store running smoothly) myself It seems almost impossible to advance within the company any further.

They keep their employees trapped at part-time where wage raises are capped without further hope to gain more, where the work load is more then what you are paid. As I previously stated – more... I have been with the company happily for 5 years April, I am still currently at minimum wage. This does not offer me much choice in having to rethink my future with the Pet Valu company which is very regretful as I love this job.

The most enjoyable part of my job is definitely the customers and their pets. I love getting to know the people who come into the store and making both their pet and them happy. The great learning opportunity Pet Valu offers is great as well. – less
Can be a fun place to work.
Sales associate (Current Employee), Whitby, ONDecember 28, 2014
For the first five years I worked there it was a great place to work. It was a very friendly work environment and very customer service oriented. I also love the fact that we dealt with several animal rescues adopting out cats, small animals, and hosting adoption days where we showcased dogs for adoption. Now that there is a new store owner some of the new staff are not as customer service oriented and we have started selling animals instead of getting them from rescues. We still have cats for adoption from a rescue, but no longer small animals. Because each Pet Valu store has different owners whether its corporate or franchise, the work environment in each store tends to be very different. At the start of my job I was required to do some training in animal nutrition which has helped me a lot. Even though I have taken an animal nutrition course in school this went beyond that by teaching me the differences in food qualities, as well as the benefits of different types of food. Overall I had a good work experience at Pet Valu but I feel the work environment is changing.
Happy customers, wonderful place to work
Pet Expert (Current Employee), Oakville, On. Hamilton, On.November 19, 2014
Pros: lots of time to work alone, or with others, very flexible to needs
Cons: minimum wage, part time hours
I am now well versed in how to take care of many different types of pets, I enjoy both the busy and down times of the job as there are so many things to do and to keep busy. Many customers bring in their animals which makes the day much more enjoyable. Everyone who works within this setting is happy and approachable. There is heavy lifting, but in turn I feel I have become stronger.
HORRIBLE
Sales Assosicate (Former Employee), Pet Valu Kanata, March Rd.November 5, 2014
Pros: the pets that visit the store
Cons: horrible owner/management
A typical work day was working extremely long, illegal shifts(Scheduled for shifts where you would be alone for longer than 5 hours without a break), facing product, extreme amounts of heavy lifting, no respect from management just complaints.

Owner was useless and did not know anything about his company not even how to open or close the store if needed in an emergency.

Co-workers were decent, The only plus of the job but a few of them were useless and not provided proper training by management. Management just gossiped about everyone and did ZERO managing what so ever. Kind of the worst I've seen in my years.

Also required to come in on days off for "meetings" that lasted an hour but by law in Ontario when you are called into work you should be paid a minimum of three hours even if only there for an hour.

Paychecks were regularly wrong, as well as stat pay for more than one employee.

Literally ZERO desire to ever work for Pet Valu MARCH RD ever again.
HORRIBLE experience.
Awful, awful, awful.
Keyholder (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 23, 2014
Pros: animals are fun
Cons: cruel upper management, low pay, long hours
I worked at Pet Valu for over a year and during that time I had never felt so put off by a workplace. (I worked in retail for over four years before being employed by this store, so I'm pretty well versed in how frustrating customer-facing roles can be. Pet Valu went above and beyond this.)

First off, my interview was conducted in March of 2014 and I was not contacted until August of 2014. The manager at the time called me and said my first day was the next day. (I lated found out I would be replacing someone that was about to be fired.)

Second, the district sales manager is, as someone else said, not the nicest person. (This is a huge understatement.) Myself and three of my colleagues send harassment claims about her to Human Resources. (These claims were never addressed, as far as I've heard.)

My store manager was moved to another store after being given THREE DAYS NOTICE. The new manager was constantly cruel to me and threatened my job weekly. He gave me write-ups for made-up reasons and ridiculed me in front of my co-workers and customers.

When I was hired, my position was sales associate. I was going to school at the time and only wished to work 20 hours a week. I ended up doing many other things such as paperwork, scheduling and the occasional order. I was also given 40 hours a week, even after asking to be given less. Throughout this, I only made minimum wage. In fact, when minimum wage in Manitoba went up from $10 to $10.40 an hour, payroll did not notice or apply the change to my paycheck for four months. They also went on to blame me for not telling them about minimum wage increases.

In short, Pet Valu is unappreciative and at times, terribly cruel to their front end associates. The only things I enjoyed about my time there were working with and educating people about animals, and some of the other sales associates I made friends with. Aside from that, this place is nothing but trouble.
Good learning experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: travelling distance
Typical day is facing product and learning product.
Good learning experience about pets, pet products and food.
Management is good to work with and get the job done
Coworkers are fine
Hardest part is rude customers
Enjoyable part is the nice people and interaction with animals
not a good company
Senior Manager - Operations and Logistics (Current Employee), TorontoJune 24, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: no support from senior leadership team
Company cannot handle change
senior leadership team does not support management
employees on floor holds the company at ransome
Retail done differently
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 3, 2014
Pros: meeting a new animal friends
Cons: higher-up management, constant changes of management
A typical day of work consisted of the opening procedure of the store, counting the money, dealing with customers, acting as both the cashier and sales associate, and finally closing the store. That closely summarizes the typical job at Pet-Valu, such as simple and straight-forward, however I would like to add that Pet-Valu is much more than just that. Pet-Valu is a retail job at a much slower pace with the advantage of dealing with the occasional pet that walks in. Mainly, the job consisted of up-selling certain products over others and educating the customer with the best choices.
Advantages consisted of working with sweet and gentle co-workers, as well as having time to relax and have things done at a certain pace. Since Pet-Valu isn't a huge retail store, employees get to meet, interact and work with management on a daily basis and communicate whatever difficulties they may have.
However, I can't say that working at Pet-Valu is perfect either. There is lots to learn while on the job. Training consists of hours of training videos and workbooks to learn the basics of all types of animal nutrition to teach the customers. However without prior knowledge and experience with all types of animals, giving advice to customers regarding certain things can be difficult.
Furthermore, since some locations are franchised and others corporate, there are differences between the two. I have worked in both types, where the franchised owner is on top of everything related to money and as an employee, you learn to be very careful with how you count money. While in corporate, the higher-ups are constantly changing managers around to where they were better 'suited'. So a big disadvantage would be getting used to dealing with different managers and changes in corporate.
fun place to work. cant move up though
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Courtice, ONJune 3, 2014
good place to work for a highschool student. cant really move up or get a raise. hours arent the best either
Rewarding job with a positive atmosphere.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 2, 2014
Pros: neighborhood regulars.
Customer service with a smile.
Accurate product knowledge.
Booking grooming appointments.
Inventory.
Handling and processing cash and debit/credit.

Best part of this job is the daily interaction with the neighborhood pets.
very friendly and productive environment
Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee), Markham, ONMay 5, 2014
Pros: very open and flexible environment, great manager
Cons: high call volume
Pet Valu HelpDesk is a very friendly environment to work in. It can get pretty intense with the call volume and technical issues therefore, to have a comfortable environment around you makes things less stressful. People are always greeting one another and assisting with difficult issues. We consider ourselves to be more of a team than anything else. Leadership always plays a role in the work environment and this helps others stay motivated and disciplined in the workplace.

1 2 3

About Pet Valu

The Pet Valu family of stores includes Pet Valu, Paulmac’s Pet Food and Bosley’s, and together they are one of the – Read more