Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

Not a professional or safe enviornment
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BCAugust 9, 2016
Management was very unpleasant to work for. My co-workers were amazing but didn't stay long in the job due to their problem with the managers.I built a lot of cliental and gained a ton of experience. The hardest part was dealing with management and their lack of communication skills. I really think that human resources or head office should get involved and make sure they are treating employees with respect.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Fun environment that let me meet different people and gave me more responsibility
Sales Associate(Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
working in Pet Valu was amazing because of the positive atmosphere. everyone is so friendly and nice to work with because they all try to help as soon as their jobs are over. I learned to be punctual and more responsible because Pet valu is a pet store which means there are animals that need to be fed so I learned never to be late because then the animals would be the ones who will suffer from my actions. the most enjoyable part of the job is hanging out with the different dog breeds that enter the store and taking care of the rabbits and hamsters in the store.
Fun place to work, bad experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  OntarioJune 27, 2016
I had many problems with my location. From being left alone for 6-7 hours with no chance for a break to gossip being out of control.
Very unorganized and no place for advancement.
Although the job did have its upside - animals, getting to meet some great people
It wasn't worth it in the end for what I was getting paid.
Oh and don't get sick because there's never anyone to cover shifts suck it up buttercup.
Pros
Animals, some customers
Cons
Got left alone with no breaks, running the store alone for much less than manager pay, hard work for minimum wage, nasty customers
Slow Days, Cool Boss, A lot of cleaning and stocking
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2016
Pet Valu isn't the busiest company. It has slow traffic and just the usual people come in usually the same day same time.

there is a lot of cleaning and stocking of shelves cause there isn't much else to do.

I had a great boss though that understood that, but still expected me to finish tasks during my work day but allowed me to complete my school work when those were done.
One of the worst jobs i have worked.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
I barely worked there. About a months time and it felt forever.

Was hired on the spot and given a key, only training is for how to work the till -no training about procedures or anything.

Expected to know and understand everything without being shown, not eased into physical work no 15 mins of break only unpaid 30 mins.

Manager talks about current and ex employees behind their backs to other employees and customers and thinks its ok to yell at an employee and say they have no right to speak.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Negative team, no training, lying and drama.
Dream job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, ONJune 17, 2016
I waited to work for this company for many years, was happy to get the job. Most co-workers are fun and capable.The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers, trying to find the best solution to their problems, That and meeting all the pets people bring in.
Pros
People and their pets
Cons
Little advancement available
Favorite job I've ever had
Professional Pet Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 6, 2016
A typical day at work would be grooming 5 or so dogs, working with them really makes my day, I truly love my job.
The most I've learned working here is dog behaviors and how to treat them.
Management has been amazing, I am sad to leave my store, I would work there for the rest of my life if I could because management and co-workers are the best people I've ever met.
The hardest part of the job would be getting difficult dogs to groom, because they are unpredictable and or nervous. It's hard sometimes to finish the job as best you can but sometimes you can only do so much without traumatizing or harming them.
Most enjoyable part of the job would be how the dogs feel after they get groomed, you can tell they feel 100% better afterwards and the look on their owners faces when they see them and how happy it makes them makes my job the best thing ever.
Pros
best place to work
Cons
having to leave
Best time ever.
Assistant Store Manager/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 22, 2016
This was my first job and the most fun. All the staff got along so well and I worked my way up to become the Assistant Manager. We had a photography room, doggy daycare, grooming, and a cat adoption room. When you are surrounded with that many animals and great people it is really hard to dislike your job.
Great part time job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ONAugust 12, 2016
If you're lucky enough to have animals for adoption at the store you work at it's a really fun experience, getting those animals adopted is a really rewarding experience.

My store manager was great but people higher up in the company are out of touch.
Pros
cute animals all day
Cons
minimum wage
Productive, sufficient and fun environment to work in.
Sales Representative and Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONMarch 30, 2016
A typical day at work involves the normal sales associate duties such as helping customers, assisting co-workers with tasks, and perform duties assigned in the store. I have learned a lot about how to properly care for domesticated animals, what the best diets, treats, suitable toys are and more. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers create the best life for their pets in regards to their health and well-being. We get to do this by providing products that enhance the care given to the animal along with a proper diet.
A Day in the Life at Pet Valu
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONMarch 29, 2016
A typical day working at Pet Valu consists of a fun working environment where the team members work together to accomplish the set goals of the day. Working here, I have gained many skills from interpersonal skills to handling cash and merchandising. The most enjoyable part of this job is communicating with customers, and providing them with the knowledge necessary to make appropriate decisions when talking about different pet foods.
Low pay, negative work experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCFebruary 29, 2016
Part time customer service job, like working with customers and their pets. Negative management, nothing acceptable, constant negative comments on everything. Cares mostly about cleaning rather than customers, which is not what the company goal is about. Will only pay minimum wage, will not negotiate, if you want to do the company training, you have to do it at home, won't pay for that.
Pros
See pets
Cons
Negative work environment
It's not playing with pets all day
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSAugust 21, 2016
If you wish to be micromanaged and your rights to be ignored then this corporate giant is for you. Believe me, even though the staff are all smiles when you walk in, and there's a cute cat to look at, everyone is miserable. (Especially in Dartmouth)
Great Environment
Sales Associate/ retail (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 9, 2016
I love the working environment. The people and customers are amazing. I have a passion for animals so it makes work fun. I learned so much about animals and animal health. Hardest part would online be re-stocking cans because it is so time consuming.
Sale associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONAugust 3, 2016
Learned great things about all the animals and about all of the type of toys for all the dogs and cats, not to mention the rabbits and other animals that were at the shop.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Sometimes the hours weren't what I would have liked
Horrible company
Sales (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 15, 2016
I worked for petvalu for about two years and the last year of that was absolutely horrible. When I started with this company it had a good solid team at the store and things got done and were taken care of pretty well. As time went on I saw more managers and district managers in and out of the store staff being shuffled and things were starting to slide. Upper management was horrible, they had unrealistic goals on their staff with low to no benefits low pay, no benefits, average discount, no training, and then it was our fault when things didn't get done properly. One of the biggest problems was the lack of training especially for the newer stuff that I saw that came in after me. The list is long and extensive of what was wrong with this company, I was excited to get out of this company. This is definitely not a long-term job and just something for students to get by and through school while moving on to bigger and better because anything is definitely better than petvalu.
Pros
Customers and animals
Cons
Everything else.
Ideal place to work for student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 2, 2016
Very good environment nice employees and good hours so that school isn`t interfered with. Customers often very nice and opportunity to interact with pets is a bonus
Pros
Good leniant hours for school
Cons
sometimes not enough hours as i`d like
Experience depends heavily on management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 29, 2016
I believe PetValu offers a great place to work for pet-lovers looking for a minimum wage part-time job. However, experience will vary heavily on who is managing the store, or who owns the franchise.

Thunder Bay stores are all under one owner. The co-workers at all locations are decent, humble people who will be helpful. However, there is a grim undercurrent of worry among them that stems from management's role in maintaining sales pressure and maintaining the bottom line as low as possible. Management at my location didn't even know what the ESA (Employment Standards Act) was. Training is mandatory for the job and is job specific, and takes about 10 hours. This was expected to be done on the workers time and unpaid. This is indicative of the kind of workplace you can expect in Thunder Bay. The customers, products, and workers will make the job decent. Management can be a hassle and may treat you like just another animal.