Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Fun and knowledgable workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
Pet Valu is a place where you want to inspire pet owners to provide theirs pets with a healthy and happy life. Weather its an allergy, health problem or just wanting to keep your pet healthy, we will know what you need.
Pros
Work with cats, happy customers, fun environment, good boss
Cons
not full-time
Great clients. Terrible staff
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata (March Road)3 April 2017
Staff and manager are rude. They have no respect for other employees. They don't take in consideration of workers needs. I would not recommend this job at this location (kanata) To anyone.
Pros
animals and customers are fantastic
Cons
rude and dissrespectful managment
I loved this job!
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 March 2017
I loved working with animals and building customer relationships. Overall the duties and job description weren't too complicated, easy straight forward daily operations. Where this company rates low for me is job security and advancement. The stores aren't managed well, and the company does not value it's employees. I could have retired from this "job" if the company had invested in me as much as I invested into it.
Pros
Working with animals.
Cons
Working with people.
Good company values
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON28 March 2017
The company is a very good organization that is interested in having its stores succeed.
The hours are good
The pay is minimum wage
Depending on the owner they are very nice
Flexible with scheduling
Good for entry level - not for anything else
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  BC24 March 2017
Corporate review - I haven't worked in a franchise store.
You start at minimum wage and pretty much STAY at minimum wage. Once a year raises at 1-3 % of current wage amounts to 12-35 CENTS at a time (in BC) pretty much a slap in the face to anyone expecting a decent raise for hard work.
You will get better raises just waiting for provincial minimum to go up.
No support or respect for anyone underneath management.
Often work alone and expect to complete numerous tasks (a lot of which are out of sight of the front door) while also taking care of customers at the highest level possible.
No break room or office in some locations.
Unpaid overtime.
Ridiculous hours. Open until 9pm EVERY weekday.
Usually understaffed since the corporate management gets bonuses for keeping their staff hours down.
Unfortunately I could go on.
Anything less than management should be a high school students job or someone just entering the work force, for anyone else with experience it is not worth it.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Everything else.
Precarious
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
Pet Valu corporate is in process of selling and franchising stores so there are few opportunities to move forward- job is more likely to be for small business than corporation.
Neat and efficient for buyers but not employees
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 March 2017
There was barely any work to do on a day to day basis which was OK but at the time not what I was looking for regarding a co-op success story. I did learn how to work the register which was a plus
Fun envirnoment, lovely customer base, organized way of business for the most part.
Retail Sales Person and Pet Nutrition Expert (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 March 2017
I really do enjoy this job. The environment is laid back yet everything gets done. We get to do fun things, we see animals in a daily basis, we have events and fundraisers for local spca and rescue group which is very fufilling but my cons are its a very small staff (5) at my particular location which can cause quite a few issues in my opinion, although it does have its perks as well.
Wonderful Company to work for if you are an animal lover!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ON13 March 2017
I enjoyed the 7 years I spent with Pet Valu, my ultimate goal was to build sales and buy the store I was running. Unfortunately the downside to working for a franchising organization is that you have no job security and my store sold before I could try to buy it for myself.
Pros
great benefit package and fair wages
Cons
franchising organization no job security
Not recommended
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
Fronting and stocking shelves, lots of heavy lifting, you normally work on your own. Responsible for store janitorial work. Poor management and upper management. You do not go to district manager or HR with issues as they strictly work for the company. High staff turnover. They lose a lot of great staff because of the managers (micro manage, there way or the highway, even if not up to company standards). Some managers ran down their staff in front of customers and other staff. Most co-workers were awesome to work with and dealing with customers was a great part of the job. Most discouraging part of the job is when you work by yourself, lineup at the till and customers waiting for assistance, lost a lot of customers because of this. If you worked a full shift you received a lunch break, but there were no coffee breaks allowed.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management, no coffee breaks, working by yourself

Want to know more about Pet Valu?

Ask a question
pet valu
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON23 February 2017
helping customers with there problems with their animals
the proper health care for their animals
great management
hardest part of the job was seeing a sick animal and not being able to help
watching pets grow and playing with them at work
decent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 February 2017
Decent place to work if you love animals. Not much room for growth though and a lot fo corporate locations are turning into franchise so chances are you won't be kept on the stafff. Corporate doesn't always have a spot for you to move to so you may be left out of a job.
I loved it.
Pet Expert/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON20 February 2017
I had a lot of fun working here, the customers are nice and you also get to spend a lot of time with all kinds of animals (depending on location).
Amazing
Customer Service Representative & Store Management (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 February 2017
I really loved working for Aurora, she was so great. I loved working with the people and their pets, although I had to stop working there because of my school situation I will always point people with pets in Aurora's direction, she is awesome!
Pros
The pets
Cons
I had to stop working because of school
Fun and friendly enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 February 2017
I really enjoyed working at Pet Valu because my co-workers and customers were very friendly. I learned how to be confident and talk to everyone as well as be confident at cash. The hardest part about the job was balancing shifts with my school work. The most enjoyable part about this job was to see how happy the customers were when i had given them advice and helped them find what they were looking for.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
balancing shifts with school work
An okay workplace.. Not Great
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 February 2017
A typical work day is helping customers, cleaning, and putting out stock. After working here for 3 years I have learned a lot about the pet food industry, however, this was no thanks to the pet valu training program. The training program does not teach you any useful information and you are forced to learn as you go on the floor. I work for a franchise store and I find that the management is very sloppy. There is no consistency at my location. The workplace culture is fun, but can be stressful. The hardest part of the job is trying to deal with management. The best part of the job is dealing with the customers and their pets.
Pros
play with cats in store
Cons
inconsistent hours, management is not great
Animals are wonderful to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON1 February 2017
I love helping pet parents find their way. My only difficulty was working for a franchise owner. The ladies I worked with got along as a group Really well. The only problems ever created were by the owner, who could be really great and really awful depending on his mood.
Pros
Wonderful women I worked with
Cons
Uneven playing field
fun, friendly
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dauphin, MB18 January 2017
its a easily going job, co workers are friendly kind and support of each other. I learned a lot about pets and how to take care of them and what you need to feed them, what you should do if there sick. the most enjoyable about my job is seeing the dogs that come in for a bath or getting treats.
Wonderful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 January 2017
Wonderful pet parents and amazing Staff. I would definitely go back to work there in a heartbeat. The owner is the kindest person I have ever met.
Great if you're a student or want part time work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 January 2017
I had an overall adequate experience with Pet Valu. I enjoyed helping the customers and taking care of the animals that would come into the store. However, I think that the salary is lower than one would deserve for the amount of work they do, it is extremely difficult to get time off, and sick days and benefits are non existant.

If you are a student who is looking to work a few shifts a week, I would recommend this job. If you're looking for something more permanent however, I would recommend finding employment elsewhere.
Pros
Around animals, clean working environment
Cons
high demands for low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6