Pet Valu

Pet Valu Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Awesome customers, and very interactive.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: working with animals
Cons: demanding
From open

stock count, serve customers, orders, schedules for staff, plan events, bank runs, clean, weekly conference calls,
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Duncan, BCJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: All sorts of animals to meet
Cons: Needs more animals
Always room to learn more about all kinds of products and animals; constantly getting to meet new people and their pets and addressing their needs with confidence. The Manager and Assistant Manager are both very personable and still have authority and respect.
Disorganized and forever undecided.
Sales Associate/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee), Casselman, ONJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: Animals, Regular Customer & Most Employees
Cons: Everything Else...
These people can't make up their minds, they keep trash people and fire good people with the lame "the company is going in a different direction".

Upper management has no knowledge of actually running a retail store, they don't work in them and won't learn to work in them. You work hard for minimum wage, often alone.

No chance for advancement, but they'll let you run the store for less than the actual store manager makes. That's called taking advantage!!! Don't ask to transfer, you will be treated new, with same pay and barely any hours.

There is NO praise within this company. You are not allowed to be creative and everything is "store standards".

Never complain about a fellow employee, nothing will be done! As well, don't get pregnant ladies, you are still expected to do this physical job with no help... and if you want reduced physical work, you need to provide notes throughout your pregnancy.

You have a better chance at any one of this company's competitors!
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Meeting new people and petting their pets.
Cons: I don't know where to start
I worked hard for these horrible corporate people for 10 long years of my life. How they thanked me was by letting me go. They gave me the same lame excuse that they give to employees that they have no use of anymore which was "We are going in a different direction". I had 6 different District Managers in 5 years, they come and go. Each one of them come in to your store, and boss you around as if they know everything, they tell you to move things around and look down on you, and leave. It happens with every new district manager, and people from the head office. They suck the life out of you, they expect you to put your life on hold for Petvalu. Your hard work is not even appreciated, and you don't even get a raise, you'll be luck to get a ten cent raise. They should run a chain of sweat shops not a chain of pet stores. In spite of all that, I really miss my coworkers and my regular customers whom I become too attached to. A few of them still call me once in a while to chat, and I always hear that a lot of them still ask for me and say "Hi". If you want to keep your sanity stay away from Petvalu, go get a real job where you can get somewhere.
sales
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 28, 2015
enjoyed working with all co workers. great location. busy at times.
I learned a lot about different types of animals and how to handle customers
Pet Valu
For Co-op in highschool (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 27, 2015
Had no issues what so ever while working at Pet Valu for my co-op. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned how to stock, talk too customers and assure them what food type might be best for their pet and even learned how to work on cash. I was very appreciative that they let me do my placement there.
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 1, 2015
Pros: Easygoing with hours
Cons: will not review performance honestly
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Horrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee), OntarioNovember 27, 2015
Pros: co-workers, seeing pets daily
Cons: Management, duties too much for pay level
Took this job as I love helping people and ensuring pets can have the highest quality of life possible. This place was a nightmare. The manager did nothing but bully an belittle staff members, and going into work everyday was horrible as you knew what you were going into. The only good thing about the job was the co-workers. Made complaints to higher up management and nothing was done, which I have heard happens all the time. Save your self the headache as you are only paid minimum wage, and the amount and whats expected of you is way to high.
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 8, 2015
Pros: Great community, Feel good work, flexible hours
Cons: Full time is rare, no benefits, no room for promotion
The atmosphere at pet valu is great. The workers are friendly and the customer base is ordinarily pleasant. You get to work with cats from the humane society which is great for cat lovers. The amount you can learn in a sort period of time about pet products is crazy. If you have pets at home you can apply the knowledge learned to your own pets health. There is even a paid time frame given to new employees to complete pet video courses provided from the university of california. All of these things are great; however, the stores are normally full for employment. It is hard to not only be hired on full time but, also be promoted with more responsibility and higher pay.
nice place to work
Bookkeeper for 2 independent small businesses (Current Employee), North BaySeptember 24, 2015
great people,
very knowledgeable about pets and foods
great pricing
great working hours
good looking store always clean
good inventory always have what I need
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food StoreSeptember 13, 2015
Pros: diverse customers
Cons: unable to trust management
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Wonderful place to work
Retail Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I've learnt so much about customer service as well as animals in my time working here. The atmosphere is wonderful and the staff are very friendly.
Lots of perks
Retail Sales Supervisor (Current Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Great discounts
Cons: no cons
Great Employers if you're a hard working individual capable of the demanding tasks of the job. Never a dull moment. The dogs are great to see.
Enjoyable and a learning experience
Groomer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at Pet Valu would be, I would go in around noon and help with bathing the owners dogs as well as cutting their nails if they needed them done. I would also walk around the store examining the different products and interact with the customers. What I have learned here is where all the different products are located as well as helping customers find what they are looking for if I know where it is.
Good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ajax, ONAugust 14, 2015
Pros: I love animals, so hearing customers stories always made my day.
Cons: Being by myself
Pet Valu was a great place to work. Although when I worked there, I was alone. That was the only downfall. Other than that, the customers were wonderful and my coworkers were very welcoming and helpful.
Did not like working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Friendly customer, nice assistant manager, seeing pets all day
Cons: Horrible manager and owner
The only good employees were the assistant manager and another sales associate as well as the dog groomer. Very small staff, owner was not able to see how her manager was verbally abusing employees and degrading them on a daily basis. Miserable experience, only pros were the customers and their pets.
Great workplace , no job advancement
Pet Expert (Former Employee), AlbertaJuly 15, 2015
Pros: My manager, knowledge, working with animals/ rescues, most of your regulars
Cons: Upper management, drama, no advancement, no benefits
Petvalu is a wonderful company to work for, especially if you have an amazing manager like I did. My manager had endless knowledge that was open minded and not one sided. The biggest con, you could lose your job at any time if your not a franchise. And If your upper boss doesn't like you (not for work ethic) but on a personal level . No matter how hard your manager tries you will never move up and get horrible excuses why you aren't .
Fun place to work and gain customer service
Customer Service (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2015
I learned how to deal with situations dealing with customers that I wouldn't be able to learn anywhere else. My money skills got better. I grew as a person at Pet Valu but after 5 years im ready to learn new skills in a new job.
Great customers, and wonderful to be around animals all day long.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJune 24, 2015
- Great customers
- Fast-paced work
- Ability to gain real experience
- Get to be around animals
- Constant change
- Long hours
- Competitive
Great Company to expand personal knowledge, with some limitation for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee), London, ONJune 21, 2015
Pros: Great environment, excellent training, well informed and knowledgeable staff, Passion for animals
Cons: management, little opportunity for growth
I have loved working for Pet Valu, and have attained an extensive amount of knowledge about proper pet care and nutrition. This far exceeded my expectations and before I knew it, I was solving health issues for pets that often times hadn't even been solved by the customer's vet. I also learned how to create better customer relationships and sales techniques as they truly encouraged selling with passion. My only setback with Pet Valu is that they are only able to have one full time employee (Who already has 10+ years of experience and they intend to keep her) which doesn't provide any opportunity to grow with the company, as I so wish I could. The other team members there are excellent which provides for a great work environment. This job is overall extremely rewarding as many animals are helped, along with their owners. We also provided many homes for animals currently in local rescues, shelters, and foster homes. I am proud to say Pet Valu has donated an extensive amount of money, time, and pet supplies to these shelters too. As well, using their location as a host for the rescues to have adoption events.