Pet Valu Employee Reviews

Hostile work environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 December 2017
Love my regular customers and most my coworkers.
Manager is very unprofessional, bully’s who she doesn’t like, talks inappropriately about other staff as if it were high school.
Takes motivated and happy people and leaves them Completely defeated and feeling dumb even though they weren’t properly trained or given clear job expectations. District manager never comes to the store and when they do they just tell you the store looks wrong and leave.
Very disappointing.
Pros
Working with animals
alright place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2017
very easy going place with what was terrible management at the time. they don't train you very well though. which is slightly unfortunate. very easy to get a hang of things though.
Pet Expert (Former Employee) –  Dauphin, MB30 November 2017
I loved working here. I had some issues with management, and unloading the food always sucked. but it was work. If i had cared less about the little things, i'd still be there today.
production and fun workplace, well structured and furnished lunchroom. well maintained washrooms
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2017
it was a very conducive work, well maintained work etiquette, no heavy lifting good interpersonal relationship between the supervisors and workers, well planned break times
Pros
free cofee and drinks
Cons
good work hours
Good workplace
Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  1380 2nd st E Cornwall Ontario27 November 2017
Not too hard but still good tasks, fun to work there, overall like doing co-op there. Very organized store with nice workers, I wouldn’t need to give any tips!
Pros
Always tasks that are not too hard
Cons
Sometimes not much to do
Lack of support
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB26 November 2017
As a store manager you needed to be very self reliant you never saw your DSM. Clients and their animals are the only think that keep you in your job. No career opportunities
Pros
customers and co workers
Cons
upper management
Loved working there
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westmount, AB23 November 2017
I loved working with animals and people!
A fun working environment and always something to do!
Learned a lot about managing, animal health, products, and much more
salary was great !
Pros
great team, friendly
Cons
long hours, poor managment
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 October 2017
Great people, laid back work environment, amount of hrs you get are horrible not nearly enough while others get to much. Customers are always very polite and seeing their animals is fun.
Decent work with animals always is
CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS15 October 2017
working with animals is great and most customers are friendly, only did a COOP session here, was fairly fun and the employees enjoyed their jobs and one even got promoted up to a store manager.
fun workplace, always keeping busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 October 2017
Responsible for all customer service activities which includes product information, inquiry recommendations, processing payments for purchases, stocking shelves and merchandizing. As key holder I am trusted to open and close the store, balance deposits in addition to serving customers.
Pros
fun, teaching environment
Great Place to work
Corporate Accountant - Banking Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 October 2017
Always busy but great place to work. Controller was a wonderful person to learn from. Working hours and pay was on point. Accounting dept now closed in BC
Pros
work life balance
Cons
sometimes not enough help
Productive and fast paced, must have experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 September 2017
It’s a lovely job all in all I definitely would go back, was a great environment to work in and the hours were okay but could of had more hours, working with pets is a definitely worth the job labour
Good part time work, especially if you love animals and sales
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2017
Great place to work along side animals and expand your knowledge of animal nutrition and care.

Downside: all employees under manager are hired part time and receive no benefits (even though you often work 35 or more hours). This however is dependent on the manager.

Fairly easy job, there is sometimes room to grow but due to the fact that at any given time a Corporate store can sell to Franchise there is the possibility of job loss.

The schedules vary making it hard to balance things. (dependent on manager)

Overall: a great place to get your foot in the door for sales, animal knowledge, care, rescues, etc but not an ideal place to stay and grow
Pros
Work with animals and animal owners are usually very easy and pleasent customers
Cons
no benifits, varried schedules, no job stability unless you are manager
working
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2017
i loved working there everyone was so friendly to me the environment was awesome and the salary was great and the manager was pretty laid back and pretty much let the co workers do whatever when there was no customers
Can be fantastic/ A Nightmare
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON4 September 2017
It depends on who the store manager is, and who the district manager is. It's fantastic when the folks in these positions are great. They do have a U.C. Davis program that employees must pass, and it does teach you a lot about pet nutrition. If your boss is great, the job is usually quite fun, and you get to hang out with critters all the time.
Pros
U.C. Davis courses (while dry) do have a lot of great information, fun atmosphere if boss is good
Cons
Auto deducted, unpaid lunches, that you often dont have time or coverage to take, unreasonable expectations, with regards to how much time a large task will take, minimum wage and annual raises, are typically about 5 to 20 cents more per hour, Head Office doesn't work as one cohesive unit, management from various departments all demand conflicting ideals
Only positive thing I can say is the pets and pet parents
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 August 2017
Most stores have very lazy staff, sit on their phones all day. I am a hard worker and when you get very lazy co-workers it very hard.
Very high staff turnover
Pros
Animals
Cons
Staff and management
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Estevan, SK24 August 2017
I love working here. My co-workers, the customers, and all the pets that come into the store make it so much fun.
Some customers provide intriguing challenges with some of their questions, others provide stability and friendly chatter.
The relationships I've built here are just awesome.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Fun place to meet pet lovers and also work with great staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 August 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job is the pets who come in to visit as you get to watch them grow up, learn new things or just become attached to them. Customers are different than if you worked in a mall retail setting as they have more patients for you, listen more and happy.
The management can be different from store to store that you work at as it depends on the person I find an how they run the store they work at.
The culture is a fun one but can be stressful at times especially during event times or making sure your reaching the sale targets because you want to succeed for the store and the company.
Hardest part of the job is truck, finding out a customers pet has passed away, or moving.
You learn a lot about yourself, the pet life style, people.
Pros
Pets, events to attend, Always learning new things
Cons
Not many weekends off
Great job if u like pets
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON st.clair10 August 2017
It is a fun job if u are interested in pets and thier nutrition. Always nice to help a pet owner find a solution. Franchises are bad, bad communication, lack of organization and no job security. The first franchise owner told me I had no rights, and the second wanted to book me while I was supposed to be in school, no flexible scheduling is a issue, over all loved the job, couldn't work with my manager, so disorganized and disrespectful
Pros
Animals, learn alot
Cons
Really bad management
Corporate Store Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia1 August 2017
Whether or not a corporate store is enjoyable almost entirely depends on your in-store manager. In two and a half years at this store, I have had 3 permanent managers and 1 temporary and about a three month period where there was no manager and the staff was just expected to do management tasks with no pay increase to reflect the added responsibilities. The manager in the store truly does make or break the position.

This is a company that will definitely walk all over you if you allow them to. If you are a teenager or young adult looking for an easy enough part time position while in school, this is a decent job. Depending on your manager, you might struggle to get time off for academic reasons. I had to provide proof of my exam schedule before a manager would allow me to have time off in December.

The upper management is, for the most part, useless. They micromanage little things while completely missing the big things that would really improve workplace culture. I have been through four district managers and have been consistently underwhelmed by their personalities.

Pet Valu makes it very difficult for a store manager to get rid of an employee who is under performing. Which is great if you're a slack employee but it really brings a negative feeling to the rest of the staff who are left to pick up the slack.

You are supposed to get a yearly performance review and, if you meet or exceed expectations, a raise. In my time, I've gotten one performance review (should be three). Despite being in 'exceeds expectations', was told I would be marked simply as 'meets expectations'
  more... which would have been fine but they followed that comment up with a $0.17 raise. Yes, seventeen cents. It is safe to say they truly see staff as highly replaceable with no desire to retain the good people.  less
Pros
Puppies
Cons
Literally everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pet Valu. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5