Pet Valu Employee Reviews in Canada

One of the most enjoyable jobs!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABMay 26, 2016
It's a fun atmosphere that promotes learning and educating customers. Getting to interact with a variety of people and animals on a daily basis is the best part of the job!!
Horrible company
Sales (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 15, 2016
I worked for petvalu for about two years and the last year of that was absolutely horrible. When I started with this company it had a good solid team at the store and things got done and were taken care of pretty well. As time went on I saw more managers and district managers in and out of the store staff being shuffled and things were starting to slide. Upper management was horrible, they had unrealistic goals on their staff with low to no benefits low pay, no benefits, average discount, no training, and then it was our fault when things didn't get done properly. One of the biggest problems was the lack of training especially for the newer stuff that I saw that came in after me. The list is long and extensive of what was wrong with this company, I was excited to get out of this company. This is definitely not a long-term job and just something for students to get by and through school while moving on to bigger and better because anything is definitely better than petvalu.
Pros
Customers and animals
Cons
Everything else.
One of the worst jobs i have worked.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
I barely worked there. About a months time and it felt forever.

Was hired on the spot and given a key, only training is for how to work the till -no training about procedures or anything.

Expected to know and understand everything without being shown, not eased into physical work no 15 mins of break only unpaid 30 mins.

Manager talks about current and ex employees behind their backs to other employees and customers and thinks its ok to yell at an employee and say they have no right to speak.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Negative team, no training, lying and drama.
Ideal place to work for student
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 2, 2016
Very good environment nice employees and good hours so that school isn`t interfered with. Customers often very nice and opportunity to interact with pets is a bonus
Pros
Good leniant hours for school
Cons
sometimes not enough hours as i`d like
10 years of sercive at pet valu
Store owner Pet Valu (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MBApril 19, 2016
Enjoy helping customers
Love seeing customers pets
Participated in fun off site events
Hardest was hiring good staff that wanted to learn the products
learned lots about nutrition
Productive, sufficient and fun environment to work in.
Sales Representative and Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONMarch 30, 2016
A typical day at work involves the normal sales associate duties such as helping customers, assisting co-workers with tasks, and perform duties assigned in the store. I have learned a lot about how to properly care for domesticated animals, what the best diets, treats, suitable toys are and more. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers create the best life for their pets in regards to their health and well-being. We get to do this by providing products that enhance the care given to the animal along with a proper diet.
A Day in the Life at Pet Valu
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONMarch 29, 2016
A typical day working at Pet Valu consists of a fun working environment where the team members work together to accomplish the set goals of the day. Working here, I have gained many skills from interpersonal skills to handling cash and merchandising. The most enjoyable part of this job is communicating with customers, and providing them with the knowledge necessary to make appropriate decisions when talking about different pet foods.
Low pay, negative work experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCFebruary 29, 2016
Part time customer service job, like working with customers and their pets. Negative management, nothing acceptable, constant negative comments on everything. Cares mostly about cleaning rather than customers, which is not what the company goal is about. Will only pay minimum wage, will not negotiate, if you want to do the company training, you have to do it at home, won't pay for that.
Pros
See pets
Cons
Negative work environment
Great place to START your working career
Cashier/Stocked Shelves (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Fun place to work during High School
Lots of Down time to do Homework.
Not very busy family owned business.
Lots of knowledge on Pets and there food.
Pros
Payed Lunches. Great Hours, Friendly Staff
Cons
Family Owned Business, Small Business, Lower than Minimum wage Pay/hour
Awesome customers, and very interactive.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 26, 2016
From open

stock count, serve customers, orders, schedules for staff, plan events, bank runs, clean, weekly conference calls,
Pros
working with animals
Cons
demanding
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCJanuary 24, 2016
Always room to learn more about all kinds of products and animals; constantly getting to meet new people and their pets and addressing their needs with confidence. The Manager and Assistant Manager are both very personable and still have authority and respect.
Pros
All sorts of animals to meet
Cons
Needs more animals
Disorganized and forever undecided.
Sales Associate/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ONJanuary 22, 2016
These people can't make up their minds, they keep trash people and fire good people with the lame "the company is going in a different direction".

Upper management has no knowledge of actually running a retail store, they don't work in them and won't learn to work in them. You work hard for minimum wage, often alone.

No chance for advancement, but they'll let you run the store for less than the actual store manager makes. That's called taking advantage!!! Don't ask to transfer, you will be treated new, with same pay and barely any hours.

There is NO praise within this company. You are not allowed to be creative and everything is "store standards".

Never complain about a fellow employee, nothing will be done! As well, don't get pregnant ladies, you are still expected to do this physical job with no help... and if you want reduced physical work, you need to provide notes throughout your pregnancy.

You have a better chance at any one of this company's competitors!
Pros
Animals, Regular Customer & Most Employees
Cons
Everything Else...
Unprofessional and Unappreciative Upper Management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2016
I worked hard for these horrible corporate people for 10 long years of my life. How they thanked me was by letting me go. They gave me the same lame excuse that they give to employees that they have no use of anymore which was "We are going in a different direction". I had 6 different District Managers in 5 years, they come and go. Each one of them come in to your store, and boss you around as if they know everything, they tell you to move things around and look down on you, and leave. It happens with every new district manager, and people from the head office. They suck the life out of you, they expect you to put your life on hold for Petvalu. Your hard work is not even appreciated, and you don't even get a raise, you'll be luck to get a ten cent raise. They should run a chain of sweat shops not a chain of pet stores. In spite of all that, I really miss my coworkers and my regular customers whom I become too attached to. A few of them still call me once in a while to chat, and I always hear that a lot of them still ask for me and say "Hi". If you want to keep your sanity stay away from Petvalu, go get a real job where you can get somewhere.
Pros
Meeting new people and petting their pets.
Cons
I don't know where to start
sales
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 28, 2015
enjoyed working with all co workers. great location. busy at times.
I learned a lot about different types of animals and how to handle customers
Pet Valu
For Co-op in highschool (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 27, 2015
Had no issues what so ever while working at Pet Valu for my co-op. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned how to stock, talk too customers and assure them what food type might be best for their pet and even learned how to work on cash. I was very appreciative that they let me do my placement there.
Friendly and easy going with knives in back
project manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 1, 2015
management often aloof and unsure of what day to day looks like for other employees.

Clear goals were not set, but expectation revealed after job complete.
Often did not know how well you were doing until job nearly finished.
Pros
Easygoing with hours
Cons
will not review performance honestly
Horrible place to work
sales associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioNovember 27, 2015
Took this job as I love helping people and ensuring pets can have the highest quality of life possible. This place was a nightmare. The manager did nothing but bully an belittle staff members, and going into work everyday was horrible as you knew what you were going into. The only good thing about the job was the co-workers. Made complaints to higher up management and nothing was done, which I have heard happens all the time. Save your self the headache as you are only paid minimum wage, and the amount and whats expected of you is way to high.
Pros
co-workers, seeing pets daily
Cons
Management, duties too much for pay level
Fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 8, 2015
The atmosphere at pet valu is great. The workers are friendly and the customer base is ordinarily pleasant. You get to work with cats from the humane society which is great for cat lovers. The amount you can learn in a sort period of time about pet products is crazy. If you have pets at home you can apply the knowledge learned to your own pets health. There is even a paid time frame given to new employees to complete pet video courses provided from the university of california. All of these things are great; however, the stores are normally full for employment. It is hard to not only be hired on full time but, also be promoted with more responsibility and higher pay.
Pros
Great community, Feel good work, flexible hours
Cons
Full time is rare, no benefits, no room for promotion
nice place to work
Bookkeeper for 2 independent small businesses (Current Employee) –  North BaySeptember 24, 2015
great people,
very knowledgeable about pets and foods
great pricing
great working hours
good looking store always clean
good inventory always have what I need
found franchise owner to be in conflict
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Second Line Sault Ste Marie , Pet Food StoreSeptember 13, 2015
The job was enjoyable however the owner was difficult to work with. I tried to follow all requirements however they were unable to accept any other opinion. Could not work for a company that would be detrimental to its customers and employees. This was not an environment that promoted loyalty, confidence in management, trust, and integrity. These are all attributes that I look for in a company
Pros
diverse customers
Cons
unable to trust management