Peoples Jewellers Employee Reviews

Management leaves a lot to be desired
Temporary Polisher (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 24, 2015
The current supervisor of the Repair Workshop is confrontational, and micromanaging. He steals ideas to solve problems from employees after telling them "that's no good". English is his second language, and yes, sometimes it's just a translation issue. He will often come over and interrupt the job you are doing to reassign you to a different job, then get a second person in the middle of their job to complete your work. He will berate you and ask the same question 3-4 times trying to break you and catch you in a lie. He is very mistrustful of his employees, and constantly hovers over them while they are doing their job. Any talking between employees in his department, and he rushes over: "Why are you talking? No talking" even if the discussion is pertaining to a particularly difficult job.

The women in the department are expected to know 4 different jobs (personally, I am a polisher, rhodium plating, QC, and shipping), while the men are allowed to sit and do the job they were hired for. Knowing multiple jobs it good for if one person takes a vacation or is sick because the department can still handle the workload, but this blatant favouritism is annoying.

Health and safety isn't a particularly big concern (although, with being bought out the new company is at least trying to pay lip service to it).

Dress code is metal free and absolutely NO jewellery. Women, that means legging and yoga pants are acceptable; be prepared to remove your hair from what ever style it's in. Men, no belt buckles. Wear shoes that are easy to slip off because you go through a large, standing
  more... metal detector 5 times a day when you leave the Workshop, and your shoes go through an x-ray machine. Water bottles must be clear; and no liquids or food is allowed out once taken in. All pockets must be sewn shut.

Summer hours mean a half day on Fridays, and regular lunches hosted by the company are great to meet the people from the other department.

If you are a jeweller/stone setter/polisher by trade and training, you are not allowed to work for another company or yourself making, repairing, or selling jewellery while you are employed here.
Pros
Summer hours, regular lunches hosted by company, pay, benefits
Cons
Management, dress code, security protocols, lack of H&S protocols, non-competition clause
Bad company to work for..
Jewellry consultant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 30, 2015
They expect a lot from you for min wage, if you are a part time, you have no good benefits and only 1 week vacation, start up commission is 1% your sale, and doesn't go up until you reach a ridiculous total, then you are up to 1.5%- RIDICULOUS
Management is horrible, you can't rely on anyone, everybody talks about everybody, and the human resources personnel is even more ridiculous-
Oh! this company does not provide a reference letter when you leave, and it doesn't give an exist interview, so if you are intending on staying for 2 years or so, just know that they won't give an appreciation letter saying how productive you have been. Terrible - I don't recommend working at this company- cuz really you will be wasting your time- You are just a number!

the most enjoyable part was my co-workers, all the woman I worked with were incredible, beautiful inside out, fun to work with, competent, this company doesn't deserve them
Pros
helping people-
Cons
hard to advance
Great working experience for team building
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ONOctober 23, 2012
After arriving we checked for security breeches after finding none we proceeded to get ready for the day - opening the vault and filling floor cases and windows.
I learned about team building and helping each other with sales by complementing the guest on their choices and that working on commission made everyday a challenge and fun, I also found that one does not need to be pushy to make sales but rather a compliment goes a very long way as well as being sincere.
Management was good to discuss how one could become better at sales
Coworkers were competitive at times which is good and keeps you on your toes!!
I really did not find any part of the job hard
I found it really enjoyable to be a member of a winning team!
Pros
working breakfasts once a month, being rewarded in contests for employees- sometimes with free merchandise or an extra discount
Cons
did not have any
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  SaskatoonJanuary 22, 2014
Productive place to work and many opportunities to advance as a customer service representative. Sales quotas to meet every shift which encouraged a person to strive harder. I ended up going from sales rep to assistant manager then to managing my own store. I loved this job. I guess if I was to say what was hard about it, is the fact you need to be competitive and be focused on you and the customer. You can be nice about it but it is all about looking after yourself and selling the product. Overall, this was the best job I ever had. The product sold itself so with desire to be the best you can you had it made.
not a good work place
administrator/Sales person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 12, 2012
in a typical day just try to help customers to the best and make great sales. i learned to be extremely patient. management was not good at all. the store had a new manager about every 4 months. head office nor the manager were respectful and listened to complaints. co-workers were competitive just the type to smile in your face and steal sales from you. the hardest part is you have to smile with all your staff when their really selfish people. the most enjoyable part was making sales meeting targets and just being the best sales person i can be.
Every day is a new day in Sales, this is why I enjoy it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2014
I enjoyed my years at Peoples and Mappins that is why I worked with this company 22 years. I enjoyed the hours and atmosphere in the majority of Stores I worked in over the yeas and made many lifelong friends. There is no real hard part of the job, We must always be striving to excel.
Pros
sometimes to celebrate a carat sale or special occasion . i get to meet a lot of nice people.
Cons
parking restrictions at christmas
best team ever
Employee (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed working with the team.
In my opinion and from what I experienced, this company micro manages too much. They need to simplify the training expectations of staff and management in order to have a more positive work atmosphere. I could see that the expectations were overwhelming, even to senior staff members. Too much information tends to overload the employees. I have never seen jewellery selling so complicated in all my years of experience.
Pros
Cons
too much information to learn.
Fun and interactive work place
Jewellery consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 1, 2014
Selling jewellery isn't just about making a sale, it's about finding the perfect piece to compliment your customer. The best part about peoples is that when you purchase a product with them you get a guarantee, you get quality and most of all you get an experience. I enjoyed working at peoples because I always felt comfortable in the quality of products I was selling, felt comfortable with the employees, management and with the customers.
Pros
jewellery discount
Very understanding Management
Administrator/ Key holder/sales representative (Current Employee) –  mississauga/ONJuly 10, 2012
I have worked with this company for seven years. it was enjoyable and fun working here. Now I want a full time position but at my workplace they do not have vacancy and not as good of a salary.I also want to change my profession to call center or Customer Service at the Pearson Airport.
opportunities to climb the ladder
Cart Supervisor and Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 7, 2012
in a very hard area, guests are few and far between. quotas are high and expectations are unrealistic. upper management will not accept "environment" as a reason.
our long term guests are great. they are loyal and love coming in and shopping with us.
Pros
discount on diamonds!
Cons
long hours, no back up from upper management

Want to know more about Peoples Jewellers?

Ask a question
Very little room for advancement but a great environment to work in
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  multiple locations in GTAAugust 20, 2015
A very rewarding job in developing new skill sets and gaining experience in many areas such as vendor relations, team building and management, human resources, payroll, sales, presentation skills, accounts payable, purchasing.
Pros
great bonus structure
Cons
company does not favor internal growth
Productive workplace.
Jewellery Consultant (Current Employee) –  Brantford,OnApril 23, 2012
Typical dat at work consists of, reviewing store numbers, individual quota, merchandising, daily inventory, interacting with customers about Sales, upcoming Special Events, and what Peoples Jewellers offers wether its credit, jewellery repairs and cleaning,opening/closing store,and Point of Sale computer system.
Productive and a fun work place working with customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, Saskatchewan CanadaMarch 2, 2012
It's always exciting to sale a Canadian Diamond engagement rings to newly engaged couples.
Pros
having repeat customers come back only to you.
Cons
credit expectations are always hard.
fast pace retail environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 24, 2015
typical day: assisting customers in jewelry selection
learned to drive sales by promoting private credit label.
helping guests pick out the perfect engagement ring is quite rewarding
productive and a wonderfull and friendly work place
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2015
learnt sales and how to engage with people of different kinds. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful in any kind of problem.
fun place
Jewellery consultant (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMay 16, 2015
it was a alright job very competitive and tedious but i enjoyed working with the girls there everyone was always so friendly
Professional Environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioSeptember 30, 2013
Excellent place to work at if its your first job. Gets very repetitive selling customers jewelry. Not a lot room for growth
Awesome place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 12, 2014
Great company to work for. Best boss Ive ever had. Wonderful customers