Peoples Jewellers Employee Reviews in Canada

great place
Store Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2016
Loved my job. The staff was awesome and I enjoyed doing the admin duties and receiving stock. I liked that I was able to work alone as well as with others.
Pros
was a day job
Cons
some cranky customers
was great
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 27, 2016
it was seasonal i gained a lot of experience while working at peoples jewellers. the management was really friendly and helpful with anything but coworkers made this job a bit difficult because of competition with commision.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
other employees would hate you if u get big sales = more commission
jewelery consultant
Jewellery Consultant (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONJune 11, 2016
I have great coworkers and our guest are amazing. I love hearing there stories. I am always looking to improve my customer service.
Good place to grow
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
I had an excellent experience with Peoples, I worked there for four years and I grow from sales to store manager. At the store we created a good atmosphere and humor, staff was happy and pleasant.
Pros
Possibilities of advancement
Cons
Job Work/Life Balance, normal of retail stores
Productive, informative and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 14, 2016
I absolutely love going to work at the Peoples Jewellers| Canada no.1 Diamond Store at Shoppers World Brampton.

The atmosphere is so professional, encouraging and I am learning a lot about diamonds, styles and designers collections. The people are great. Management very wise, confident, knowledgeable in everything, including the daily operation of running and managing the company.

My most enjoyable part of the job is working with the guests and my team workers
Pros
Hourly rate + commission and growth
Cons
non
Great People to work with
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 10, 2016
On a morning shift we enter the store 30 mins before opening, there is always two employees in the store at all times for saftey. We get the computers on, open the safe,take jewels out and replace to their cases. when the jewels are in cases, and in windows are set we open the doors. Once the store is open we then count all the jewels in the cases. ( we count every day, input in computer to have balanced cases) We receive new product, repairs daily. My manager is great, she's a great leader, and we work as a team. My co workers are helpful, and very professional. Our day is always busy, we do not ever have nothing to do. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done in the short amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the clients, it is very rewarding to help some one buy the special gifts for their loved ones
Pros
Love the clients
People were fantastic to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I loved the fellow employees personalities. We almost all got along and meshed really well so it was really great going to work with them.

Even though we weren't that busy all the time I liked having the opportunity to connect and help the customers without having to rush or juggle multiple people.

It was a very open learning environment and overall it was great even if it didn't last as long as hoped.
Daily Person-to-Person Interaction in an Upbeat Environment.
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONNovember 12, 2015
The store I worked at was always upbeat. We had a fantastic team that worked together in a competitive environment. Guests came into the store looking for special occasions, and I was able to be part of that journey with them. That made the connections between the guest and the jewellery consultants worth while. Although the pay was not great, the hours were flexible and my manager always made sure I was getting the hours that I wanted. Every 6 months we are supposed to get a raise but I was there for two years and never saw one, the other consultants made note of that as well.
Pros
Commission, Work for what you earn.
Cons
Never increase in base pay.
Bad company to work for..
Jewellry consultant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONOctober 30, 2015
They expect a lot from you for min wage, if you are a part time, you have no good benefits and only 1 week vacation, start up commission is 1% your sale, and doesn't go up until you reach a ridiculous total, then you are up to 1.5%- RIDICULOUS
Management is horrible, you can't rely on anyone, everybody talks about everybody, and the human resources personnel is even more ridiculous-
Oh! this company does not provide a reference letter when you leave, and it doesn't give an exist interview, so if you are intending on staying for 2 years or so, just know that they won't give an appreciation letter saying how productive you have been. Terrible - I don't recommend working at this company- cuz really you will be wasting your time- You are just a number!

the most enjoyable part was my co-workers, all the woman I worked with were incredible, beautiful inside out, fun to work with, competent, this company doesn't deserve them
Pros
helping people-
Cons
hard to advance
best team ever
Employee (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed working with the team.
In my opinion and from what I experienced, this company micro manages too much. They need to simplify the training expectations of staff and management in order to have a more positive work atmosphere. I could see that the expectations were overwhelming, even to senior staff members. Too much information tends to overload the employees. I have never seen jewellery selling so complicated in all my years of experience.
Pros
Cons
too much information to learn.
fast pace retail environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 24, 2015
typical day: assisting customers in jewelry selection
learned to drive sales by promoting private credit label.
helping guests pick out the perfect engagement ring is quite rewarding
Very little room for advancement but a great environment to work in
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  multiple locations in GTAAugust 20, 2015
A very rewarding job in developing new skill sets and gaining experience in many areas such as vendor relations, team building and management, human resources, payroll, sales, presentation skills, accounts payable, purchasing.
Pros
great bonus structure
Cons
company does not favor internal growth
Management leaves a lot to be desired
Temporary Polisher (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 24, 2015
The current supervisor of the Repair Workshop is confrontational, and micromanaging. He steals ideas to solve problems from employees after telling them "that's no good". English is his second language, and yes, sometimes it's just a translation issue. He will often come over and interrupt the job you are doing to reassign you to a different job, then get a second person in the middle of their job to complete your work. He will berate you and ask the same question 3-4 times trying to break you and catch you in a lie. He is very mistrustful of his employees, and constantly hovers over them while they are doing their job. Any talking between employees in his department, and he rushes over: "Why are you talking? No talking" even if the discussion is pertaining to a particularly difficult job.

The women in the department are expected to know 4 different jobs (personally, I am a polisher, rhodium plating, QC, and shipping), while the men are allowed to sit and do the job they were hired for. Knowing multiple jobs it good for if one person takes a vacation or is sick because the department can still handle the workload, but this blatant favouritism is annoying.

Health and safety isn't a particularly big concern (although, with being bought out the new company is at least trying to pay lip service to it).

Dress code is metal free and absolutely NO jewellery. Women, that means legging and yoga pants are acceptable; be prepared to remove your hair from what ever style it's in. Men, no belt buckles. Wear shoes that are easy to slip off because you go through a large, standing
  more... metal detector 5 times a day when you leave the Workshop, and your shoes go through an x-ray machine. Water bottles must be clear; and no liquids or food is allowed out once taken in. All pockets must be sewn shut.

Summer hours mean a half day on Fridays, and regular lunches hosted by the company are great to meet the people from the other department.

If you are a jeweller/stone setter/polisher by trade and training, you are not allowed to work for another company or yourself making, repairing, or selling jewellery while you are employed here.
Pros
Summer hours, regular lunches hosted by company, pay, benefits
Cons
Management, dress code, security protocols, lack of H&S protocols, non-competition clause
fun place
Jewellery consultant (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMay 16, 2015
it was a alright job very competitive and tedious but i enjoyed working with the girls there everyone was always so friendly
productive and a wonderfull and friendly work place
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2015
learnt sales and how to engage with people of different kinds. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful in any kind of problem.
Every day is a new day in Sales, this is why I enjoy it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2014
I enjoyed my years at Peoples and Mappins that is why I worked with this company 22 years. I enjoyed the hours and atmosphere in the majority of Stores I worked in over the yeas and made many lifelong friends. There is no real hard part of the job, We must always be striving to excel.
Pros
sometimes to celebrate a carat sale or special occasion . i get to meet a lot of nice people.
Cons
parking restrictions at christmas
Fun and interactive work place
Jewellery consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 1, 2014
Selling jewellery isn't just about making a sale, it's about finding the perfect piece to compliment your customer. The best part about peoples is that when you purchase a product with them you get a guarantee, you get quality and most of all you get an experience. I enjoyed working at peoples because I always felt comfortable in the quality of products I was selling, felt comfortable with the employees, management and with the customers.
Pros
jewellery discount
Awesome place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 12, 2014
Great company to work for. Best boss Ive ever had. Wonderful customers
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  SaskatoonJanuary 22, 2014
Productive place to work and many opportunities to advance as a customer service representative. Sales quotas to meet every shift which encouraged a person to strive harder. I ended up going from sales rep to assistant manager then to managing my own store. I loved this job. I guess if I was to say what was hard about it, is the fact you need to be competitive and be focused on you and the customer. You can be nice about it but it is all about looking after yourself and selling the product. Overall, this was the best job I ever had. The product sold itself so with desire to be the best you can you had it made.
Professional Environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioSeptember 30, 2013
Excellent place to work at if its your first job. Gets very repetitive selling customers jewelry. Not a lot room for growth