Peoples Jewellers Employee Reviews

Good place to grow
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 June 2016
I had an excellent experience with Peoples, I worked there for four years and I grow from sales to store manager. At the store we created a good atmosphere and humor, staff was happy and pleasant.
Pros
Possibilities of advancement
Cons
Job Work/Life Balance, normal of retail stores
Daily Person-to-Person Interaction in an Upbeat Environment.
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON12 November 2015
The store I worked at was always upbeat. We had a fantastic team that worked together in a competitive environment. Guests came into the store looking for special occasions, and I was able to be part of that journey with them. That made the connections between the guest and the jewellery consultants worth while. Although the pay was not great, the hours were flexible and my manager always made sure I was getting the hours that I wanted. Every 6 months we are supposed to get a raise but I was there for two years and never saw one, the other consultants made note of that as well.
Pros
Commission, Work for what you earn.
Cons
Never increase in base pay.
Overall a good place to work
Store Administrator/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2016
A lot of KPIs, policies, structures - try not to worry about the commission aspect and focus on customer service.
Consistent training, however not too many options for advancement.
Pros
Helping clients create memories
Cons
Retail hours
was great
Jewellery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 June 2016
it was seasonal i gained a lot of experience while working at peoples jewellers. the management was really friendly and helpful with anything but coworkers made this job a bit difficult because of competition with commision.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
other employees would hate you if u get big sales = more commission
Productive, informative and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 April 2016
I absolutely love going to work at the Peoples Jewellers| Canada no.1 Diamond Store at Shoppers World Brampton.

The atmosphere is so professional, encouraging and I am learning a lot about diamonds, styles and designers collections. The people are great. Management very wise, confident, knowledgeable in everything, including the daily operation of running and managing the company.

My most enjoyable part of the job is working with the guests and my team workers
Pros
Hourly rate + commission and growth
Cons
non
Bad company to work for..
Jewellry consultant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON30 October 2015
They expect a lot from you for min wage, if you are a part time, you have no good benefits and only 1 week vacation, start up commission is 1% your sale, and doesn't go up until you reach a ridiculous total, then you are up to 1.5%- RIDICULOUS
Management is horrible, you can't rely on anyone, everybody talks about everybody, and the human resources personnel is even more ridiculous-
Oh! this company does not provide a reference letter when you leave, and it doesn't give an exist interview, so if you are intending on staying for 2 years or so, just know that they won't give an appreciation letter saying how productive you have been. Terrible - I don't recommend working at this company- cuz really you will be wasting your time- You are just a number!

the most enjoyable part was my co-workers, all the woman I worked with were incredible, beautiful inside out, fun to work with, competent, this company doesn't deserve them
Pros
helping people-
Cons
hard to advance
A lot of modals learning different Jewellry.
Jewellry consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2016
Like to enjoy working and people I work with. Had that at People's for the most part. Many things changed when signet took over, and not for the better. I still enjoy meeting up with the staff.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
No longer enjoying going to work.
Great People to work with
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 March 2016
On a morning shift we enter the store 30 mins before opening, there is always two employees in the store at all times for saftey. We get the computers on, open the safe,take jewels out and replace to their cases. when the jewels are in cases, and in windows are set we open the doors. Once the store is open we then count all the jewels in the cases. ( we count every day, input in computer to have balanced cases) We receive new product, repairs daily. My manager is great, she's a great leader, and we work as a team. My co workers are helpful, and very professional. Our day is always busy, we do not ever have nothing to do. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done in the short amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the clients, it is very rewarding to help some one buy the special gifts for their loved ones
Pros
Love the clients
great place
Store Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2016
Loved my job. The staff was awesome and I enjoyed doing the admin duties and receiving stock. I liked that I was able to work alone as well as with others.
Pros
was a day job
Cons
some cranky customers
jewelery consultant
Jewellery Consultant (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON11 June 2016
I have great coworkers and our guest are amazing. I love hearing there stories. I am always looking to improve my customer service.
People were fantastic to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 February 2016
I loved the fellow employees personalities. We almost all got along and meshed really well so it was really great going to work with them.

Even though we weren't that busy all the time I liked having the opportunity to connect and help the customers without having to rush or juggle multiple people.

It was a very open learning environment and overall it was great even if it didn't last as long as hoped.
best team ever
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alberta21 October 2015
I enjoyed working with the team.
In my opinion and from what I experienced, this company micro manages too much. They need to simplify the training expectations of staff and management in order to have a more positive work atmosphere. I could see that the expectations were overwhelming, even to senior staff members. Too much information tends to overload the employees. I have never seen jewellery selling so complicated in all my years of experience.
Pros
Cons
too much information to learn.
Great working experience for team building
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON23 October 2012
After arriving we checked for security breeches after finding none we proceeded to get ready for the day - opening the vault and filling floor cases and windows.
I learned about team building and helping each other with sales by complementing the guest on their choices and that working on commission made everyday a challenge and fun, I also found that one does not need to be pushy to make sales but rather a compliment goes a very long way as well as being sincere.
Management was good to discuss how one could become better at sales
Coworkers were competitive at times which is good and keeps you on your toes!!
I really did not find any part of the job hard
I found it really enjoyable to be a member of a winning team!
Pros
working breakfasts once a month, being rewarded in contests for employees- sometimes with free merchandise or an extra discount
Cons
did not have any
not a good work place
administrator/Sales person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2012
in a typical day just try to help customers to the best and make great sales. i learned to be extremely patient. management was not good at all. the store had a new manager about every 4 months. head office nor the manager were respectful and listened to complaints. co-workers were competitive just the type to smile in your face and steal sales from you. the hardest part is you have to smile with all your staff when their really selfish people. the most enjoyable part was making sales meeting targets and just being the best sales person i can be.
Very little room for advancement but a great environment to work in
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  multiple locations in GTA20 August 2015
A very rewarding job in developing new skill sets and gaining experience in many areas such as vendor relations, team building and management, human resources, payroll, sales, presentation skills, accounts payable, purchasing.
Pros
great bonus structure
Cons
company does not favor internal growth
opportunities to climb the ladder
Cart Supervisor and Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 August 2012
in a very hard area, guests are few and far between. quotas are high and expectations are unrealistic. upper management will not accept "environment" as a reason.
our long term guests are great. they are loyal and love coming in and shopping with us.
Pros
discount on diamonds!
Cons
long hours, no back up from upper management
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon22 January 2014
Productive place to work and many opportunities to advance as a customer service representative. Sales quotas to meet every shift which encouraged a person to strive harder. I ended up going from sales rep to assistant manager then to managing my own store. I loved this job. I guess if I was to say what was hard about it, is the fact you need to be competitive and be focused on you and the customer. You can be nice about it but it is all about looking after yourself and selling the product. Overall, this was the best job I ever had. The product sold itself so with desire to be the best you can you had it made.
Fun and interactive work place
Jewellery consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 May 2014
Selling jewellery isn't just about making a sale, it's about finding the perfect piece to compliment your customer. The best part about peoples is that when you purchase a product with them you get a guarantee, you get quality and most of all you get an experience. I enjoyed working at peoples because I always felt comfortable in the quality of products I was selling, felt comfortable with the employees, management and with the customers.
Pros
Jewellery Discount
Management leaves a lot to be desired
Temporary Polisher (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON24 May 2015
The current supervisor of the Repair Workshop is confrontational, and micromanaging. He steals ideas to solve problems from employees after telling them "that's no good". English is his second language, and yes, sometimes it's just a translation issue. He will often come over and interrupt the job you are doing to reassign you to a different job, then get a second person in the middle of their job to complete your work. He will berate you and ask the same question 3-4 times trying to break you and catch you in a lie. He is very mistrustful of his employees, and constantly hovers over them while they are doing their job. Any talking between employees in his department, and he rushes over: "Why are you talking? No talking" even if the discussion is pertaining to a particularly difficult job.

The women in the department are expected to know 4 different jobs (personally, I am a polisher, rhodium plating, QC, and shipping), while the men are allowed to sit and do the job they were hired for. Knowing multiple jobs it good for if one person takes a vacation or is sick because the department can still handle the workload, but this blatant favouritism is annoying.

Health and safety isn't a particularly big concern (although, with being bought out the new company is at least trying to pay lip service to it).

Dress code is metal free and absolutely NO jewellery. Women, that means legging and yoga pants are acceptable; be prepared to remove your hair from what ever style it's in. Men, no belt buckles. Wear shoes that are easy to slip off because you go through a large, standing
  more... metal detector 5 times a day when you leave the Workshop, and your shoes go through an x-ray machine. Water bottles must be clear; and no liquids or food is allowed out once taken in. All pockets must be sewn shut.

Summer hours mean a half day on Fridays, and regular lunches hosted by the company are great to meet the people from the other department.

If you are a jeweller/stone setter/polisher by trade and training, you are not allowed to work for another company or yourself making, repairing, or selling jewellery while you are employed here.
Pros
Summer hours, regular lunches hosted by company, pay, benefits
Cons
Management, dress code, security protocols, lack of H&S protocols, non-competition clause
Very understanding Management
Administrator/ Key holder/sales representative (Current Employee) –  mississauga/ON10 July 2012
I have worked with this company for seven years. it was enjoyable and fun working here. Now I want a full time position but at my workplace they do not have vacancy and not as good of a salary.I also want to change my profession to call center or Customer Service at the Pearson Airport.