People's United Bank

People's United Bank Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly enviornment
Bank Temp (Current Employee), Keene, NHFebruary 22, 2013
A nice place to work. Co-workers are friendly. The job is a little repetitive.
Great place to work at.
Financial Service Associate (Current Employee), Norwalk, CTFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: good benefits and good work and personal life balance
It is a great place to learn, management is engage, co-workers are very cool to work with, the hardest part of the jobs is to maintain sales goals, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customer and the learning.
Productive, busy
SR Financial Service Associate (Current Employee), Norwalk,CTFebruary 16, 2013
I love Working for Peoples United Bank, especially my branch, its busy I interact with a lot of customers that always results in cross-selling, sales, booking the sales (business), close the business. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my customers, helping them and exceeds their expectations, I love my co-workers, we are a big family, – more... great team, we motivate each other for better results, and the hardest part for me will be when the branch is slow and not be able to achieve my daily goals. I have learned a lot throughout the years, I have been more motivated, more driven ambitious and more positive. – less
Not the company you think they are, and not the job you think it is...
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Fairfield, CTJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: good co-workers, somewhat flexible schedule.
Cons: poor management, poor communication, sneaky, terrible pay.
I am a CSA and let me start off by saying that when you interview for this job they will explain (if at all) that this job has LIGHT sales. They do not mention anything about sales goals, sales meetings, sales activities, or anything like that. They are sneaky right off the bat. First, after you get hired, you have to attend orientation for about 1 – more... 1/2 weeks, give or take a few days. On the first day of orientation they make you watch this video filled with employee's stating what an "amazing" and "great" company People's United Bank is to work for. I would love to know where these employees are working, because it's no branch that I've been in. Anyways, so you go through your training and not once do they ever mention one word about sales or sales goals. After you complete training you then go to your branch that you were hired at and they give you about 1 or 2 days before you are by yourself. Still, nothing mentioned about sales goals. After about a month or so, you will get called into your manager or sales manager's office and then that's where the real fun begins. They will give you these goals that you absolutely need to meet. Which are checking accounts, business accounts, LTI (long-term investments), life insurance or business services. When I first got all of these goals thrown in my face I had no idea what to say, because personally, I can't stand sales and I said to myself "wow, if they would've just explained to me that I was basically hired to be a sales person I would've never taken the job". But of course they keep that from you in the hopes that they will be able to intimidate you into being a sales person. If customer's already have a checking account your manager will suggest for you to ask them to open up a 2nd checking account. why? why would you really need a 2nd checking account? oh yes! to meet our branch goals. not for the benefit of the customer (even though they will make up little dumb reasons to try and make you think you are helping the customer when you're really just making a sale). One quarter it was very slow so we did not meet our impossible sales goals, so our manager decided to give the branch a nice gift and wrote everybody up for not meeting our goals. How sad is that? This company will literally do anything they can to get one measly $25 checking account. They constantly say 'we need to pick up the pace." I mean, what? Pick up the pace? You can't force people to open up accounts. Then, depending on your branch, you will have meetings every single Monday to talk about sales. If you have not met your sales goals for the week they will most definitely call you out in front of all the other managers and all of the co-workers to embarrass you, and trust me, it's not a good feeling to be put on the spot and basically laughed at. At the end of the year, after you go through all of this hell, you end up "maybe" getting a $100 bonus. Is it really worth all of the stress and corporate immorality? No, it's not. The managers will ALWAYS find a way to blame the poor sales results on the employee no matter what. Aside from sales, there is a CSM (customer-service-manager) this person is usually in charge of several branches and decides how we treat the customers. Their newest rule is that we cannot say "NO PROBLEM" to the customer. Am I joking? No. Branches literally have over 7 signs all over the break-room and inside doors that say "NO PROBLEM" with an "X" through it. How degrading is that? It's childish and absurd. The managers are also notorious for only acting like managers when the "higher-ups" visit the branch. This company is really not what they seem, they will do anything possible to brainwash you into thinking that you are doing right by the customer, when in reality all they care about is meeting their goals, no matter what the cost is. They also claim that you can move up in this bank and that anything is possible, yeah that's true, if you have 45 years to waste to move up 3 positions. – less

– January 26, 2013

I agree with you about companies only caring about their sales goals and not really caring about the customer's welfare...it is like that in many companies. My interview with Peoples' was absurd and it was obvious from the start that I was dealing with someone who knew, or did not want to reveal, anything about the job. Huge waste of my time...

I think it depends on the branch and managers
Senior Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Westport, CTDecember 31, 2012
Pros: anything better than nothing
Cons: poor management and hr. low pay. tuition is after one year of working, its about one class expense for the whole year, and they include it in your income so you will be taxed on it.
typical day at work: Managers attitude and deal with their mood at that day. I have learned good things but you reach a point that they dont allow you more.Poor management. HR against you, so dont ever call them. Co workers are nice, but managers put every worker to watch the other one in return they promise for promotion which they will never get.
It's a job
Manager ACH & WireTransfer Operations (Current Employee), Bridgeport, CTDecember 6, 2012
Pros: nice people
Cons: benefits get worse every year, bonuses are very small
It is a good job and you work with good people. My typical day is spend working on various projects to become more competative in the payment industry as well as dealing with various internal and external auditors as these two departments are very heavily regulated.
Hardest part of the job is trying to move the business forward with having outsourced – more... the core systems. We end up having to create numerous work-arounds to get the job done which is frustrating when trying to eliminate inefficiencies.
Most enjoyable part of the job are the people you work with. – less
Professional, comfortable, productive environment
Database Manager/Developer (Former Employee), Bridgeport, CTDecember 1, 2012
Professional, comfortable, productive environment, I enjoyed working there, people are very friendly, helpful and professional.
great place to work,friendly,fast pace
CUSTOMER SERVICE CALL CENTER REP (Former Employee), bridgeport,ctNovember 15, 2012
Pros: all around grear
Cons: temp postition
fast pace customer service handleing customer accounts,problem solving
Great company to work for
Lead customer service associate (Former Employee), Bridgeport, CTSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: longevity
Cons: long hrs.short or no breaks and shorted lunches on late days.
very busy branches.
inhanced my customer service skills
The management team were helpful
Got along very well with my coworkers even when I transferred to different offices.
dealing with difficult and problem customers.
Learning differents computer skills and mastering them.
It was my home for 17 plus years..
Senior Financial Service Associate (Former Employee), Torrington, CTSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: took care of employees, overall great place to work.
Cons: that my location closed.
My time at People's was cut short, our location closed. Throughout my time at the bank I had great interaction with customers, co-workers etc. I learned all the basics of everday banking, on-line, phone, BSA, all required bank regulations.

My co-workers were my family. I saw them more than my children. I was very fortunate to have great managers during – more... my time at People's. Went above and beyond to further me in my banking career.

I can't say there was a hard part, not with the job but with myself. I guess it would be that I would over think it. Knew the answer but would second guess myself. A lesson that I learned was put yourself out there, only I can determine what path I will take. Sometimes you hit a dead end, but learning how to get back is the real lesson. One manager I had taught me a great way to think of my job. " You don't have to go to work" "You get to go to work". I guess I never realized how great my job was till it was gone.

The customers by far was the most enjoyable part of my day. I would look forward to seeing our regulars as I sort of grew up with them. I was with People's from 1994 to 2012, it was home to me. – less
Poor senior management - Shareholders are bank's main concern- not employees or customers
Retail Banker (Former Employee), VermontSeptember 12, 2012
Pros: training, great co- wogranted good resume builder
Cons: low pay, bad communication, employees taken for granted, 401k and other benefits mediocre at best
Great training opportunities but limited advancement opportunities. Branches are always short staffed which puts pressure on other staff.
Unrealistic expectations with too many duties with limited time; taking time and focus away from the most important thing= excellent customer service.
Senior mgmt. doesn't provide support and Human Resources is quite – more... frankly; unsupportive and cold.
Morale is very, very low in branches. There is a major lack of communication
Lots of turnover
Pay scale is quite low
Sad, because they have the best employees! – less
A very good example of a bank with great customer service.
Lead Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Westborough, MASeptember 10, 2012
Pros: fairly good benefits. location.
Cons: poor staffing. poor management.
I enjoy working at this bank because I build relationships with customers on a daily basis and get to know them on personal levels. Being able to put a smile on people's faces is always a pleasure.

Recently poor management which has lead to poor staffing. Which concludes the hardest part of the job now, trying to get daily tasks done with limited people, – more... more work, working a lot more hours and weekends. – less
What you will learn
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Bridgeport, CTAugust 30, 2012
Pros: branch is busy so it makes the time go by faster.
Cons: branch hours
You will be able to provide excellent personalized customer service to established clientele, cross marker bank products, process detailed transactions in a timely and efficient manner, and attend training workshops to enhance knowledge of new products and new online system
Conservative banking institution
AVP, Financial Services Manager (Current Employee), Scarsdale, NYAugust 23, 2012
Pros: conservative banking institution
Cons: conservative banking institution
People's United Bank is a public conservative banking institution currently experiencing growth through acquisition.
Positive atmosphere with strong training structure
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Greenwich, CTAugust 20, 2012
Pros: postive work environment
Cons: lack of opportunity to enhance career
At People's United Bank their is a strong cusotmer service and sales focus. Each manager is placed into a management training program where they are given the tools to become effective managers. Th managers work closely with the staff on a daily basis to ensure the lines of communication are strong. The hardest part of the job is finding the time to – more... accomplish all of your tasks. It is important each employee is trained in time management. The best part about the job is the strong communication and positive atmosphere the company provides for their employees. – less
Solid Company
BUSINESS SERVICES OFFICER, AVP (Current Employee), Hartford, CTJuly 23, 2012
Good company to work for. Decent advamcement opportunities. Training is great. Retail Banking in store locations are open 7 days a week.
Worked at a very busy inner city branch
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Methuen, MAJuly 16, 2012
Pros: healthcare/benefits
People's does not always realize the value of its talent. The branch was constantly busy but the products offered did not really meet customer needs.
Horrible or Wonderful depending on your branch
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Biddeford, MEJuly 3, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: poor lower management
When I first worked for People's United Bank it was a wonderful experience. Due to buy-out issues I was transferred from one branch to another. In summary, if you are working for a bank that has ALWAYS been People's United - you'll probably have a good experience. If you are working for one of the banks that's been bought out by them Ex: Ocean Bank, – more... Chittenden, Maine Bank and Trust, etc. etc. you may have a dreadful experience as old management butts heads with the new management to the point of creating an uneasy, moody, and sometimes abrasive work environment. – less
Excellent Place to work
Administrative (Former Employee), Portland, MEJune 7, 2012
This company is a great place to work excellent benefits and employees are valued. However, during the recent merger job security is not what it used to be.
Great environment and great co-workers
Commercial Teller (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJune 5, 2012
Customer service position in a high volume Bank in the business district of New Haven. I worked with a fabulous team behind the teller line and across on the platform. The management team was great and was a pleasure to work with too. We sometimes unfortunately worked with little staff, and the customers were not always happy about that.

About People's United Bank

People's United FinancialĀ is the holding company for People's United Bank (formerly People's Bank), which was founded in 1842. – Read more

People's United Bank Photos