People's United Bank

People's United Bank Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not the company you think they are, and not the job you think it is...
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Fairfield, CTJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: good co-workers, somewhat flexible schedule.
Cons: poor management, poor communication, sneaky, terrible pay.
I am a CSA and let me start off by saying that when you interview for this job they will explain (if at all) that this job has LIGHT sales. They do not mention anything about sales goals, sales meetings, sales activities, or anything like that. They are sneaky right off the bat. First, after you get hired, you have to attend orientation for about 1 1/2 weeks, give or take a few days. On the first day of orientation they make you watch this video filled with employee's stating what an "amazing" and "great" company People's United Bank is to work for. I would love to know where these employees are working, because it's no branch that I've been in. Anyways, so you go through your training and not once do they ever mention one word about sales or sales goals. After you complete training you then go to your branch that you were hired at and they give you about 1 or 2 days before you are by yourself. Still, nothing mentioned about sales goals. After about a month or so, you will get called into your manager or sales manager's office and then that's where the real fun begins. They will give you these goals that you absolutely need to meet. Which are checking accounts, business accounts, LTI (long-term investments), life insurance or business services. When I first got all of these goals thrown in my face I had no idea what to say, because personally, I can't stand sales and I said to myself "wow, if they would've just explained to me that I was basically hired to be a sales person I would've never taken the job". But of course they keep that from you in the hopes that they will be – more... able to intimidate you into being a sales person. If customer's already have a checking account your manager will suggest for you to ask them to open up a 2nd checking account. why? why would you really need a 2nd checking account? oh yes! to meet our branch goals. not for the benefit of the customer (even though they will make up little dumb reasons to try and make you think you are helping the customer when you're really just making a sale). One quarter it was very slow so we did not meet our impossible sales goals, so our manager decided to give the branch a nice gift and wrote everybody up for not meeting our goals. How sad is that? This company will literally do anything they can to get one measly $25 checking account. They constantly say 'we need to pick up the pace." I mean, what? Pick up the pace? You can't force people to open up accounts. Then, depending on your branch, you will have meetings every single Monday to talk about sales. If you have not met your sales goals for the week they will most definitely call you out in front of all the other managers and all of the co-workers to embarrass you, and trust me, it's not a good feeling to be put on the spot and basically laughed at. At the end of the year, after you go through all of this hell, you end up "maybe" getting a $100 bonus. Is it really worth all of the stress and corporate immorality? No, it's not. The managers will ALWAYS find a way to blame the poor sales results on the employee no matter what. Aside from sales, there is a CSM (customer-service-manager) this person is usually in charge of several branches and decides how we treat the customers. Their newest rule is that we cannot say "NO PROBLEM" to the customer. Am I joking? No. Branches literally have over 7 signs all over the break-room and inside doors that say "NO PROBLEM" with an "X" through it. How degrading is that? It's childish and absurd. The managers are also notorious for only acting like managers when the "higher-ups" visit the branch. This company is really not what they seem, they will do anything possible to brainwash you into thinking that you are doing right by the customer, when in reality all they care about is meeting their goals, no matter what the cost is. They also claim that you can move up in this bank and that anything is possible, yeah that's true, if you have 45 years to waste to move up 3 positions. – less

January 26, 2013

I agree with you about companies only caring about their sales goals and not really caring about the customer's welfare...it is like that in many companies. My interview with Peoples' was absurd and it was obvious from the start that I was dealing with someone who knew, or did not want to reveal, anything about the job. Huge waste of my time...

Good company ethos in theory.
Finacial Services Associate (Current Employee), Baldwin Place, NYNovember 8, 2013
Pros: good learning experience.
Cons: little to no breaks, interference with home life, vacation scheduling and two day weekends are exceptionally difficult.
-A typical day at work involves taking care of immediate sales goals, while preparing pipeline for the future. Maintaining customer issues, and engaging with current and prospective clientelle. Conformance issues are a priority in a banking environment. Conference call involement and meeting ever-changing and exceeding expectations.
-Knowledge of banking products, state and federal laws, and an expanded knowledge of exceptional customer service and increasing sales initiative.
-Micro-managing increasing and making lower level management irrelevant. Good for immediate profit increase, but creating a destabalization of evenly distributed and strong management. Very formatted managerial training (may be the result of redundant jobs in upper-management increasing expectation). This creates very blueprint new managerial staff which leads to a disruption in sales environment.
-Co-workers are well-hired and have created a healthy environment of in-branch competitiveness, as well as, supportive and consistent in-branch training.
-The hardest part of the job is meeting expected and constantly increasing goals which leads to every in-branch bonus (team incentive, not individual). There is no curve, bonuses are paid out on a black and white system. This leads to in-branch shaming and disdain. There are many scheduling expectations, which make it near impossible to send out staff members to necessary training (short staffed, and constant staffing needs). This leads to hourly employees commuting for 6 day weeks with very rare two day weekends.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is the learning – more... experience and challenges faced on a daily basis. There is a strong appreciation for your clientelle and there is a great fulfillment in knowing that you can provide a good product and help someone, while building a relationship. Banks often take advantage of the consumer, but it's nice to know you can minimalize this and provide a service that otherwise would be overlooked. – less
Senior management poor decision makers
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Long Island, NYJuly 17, 2015
Pros: you learn a lot in all areas of banking
Cons: super micro managment constantly interfering with productivity
When you start with this company, a very good impression the first couple of weeks and then you start realizing how disorganized and backward this bank is. Although they provide very good training in each job family but no resources to practice your skills. You are basically a teller all day no matter what the job title because staffing is a big issue. Employees are moved to other branches against their will. It could be tellers, personal bankers or managers. By the time you build a good team, it is broken again. Customers are always seeing new faces and they feel that branches are more like training centers where no one stays to build relationships. Upper management feels like People's United bank is a franchise that they own. They can hire and fire as they please. Complete disregard for the suffering those employees may go through. You will get the impression that you are a valuable employee as long as you "Yes" them to death. If you start giving your suggestions and voicing your opinion, your days will be limited. They will find anything to terminate you. Job security with this bank is ZERO, you are just another number. Once they have used you and abused you, you will be out of this bank or you would want to leave. Training is the best part of this bank.
A little bank with a big bank attitude
Lead Customer Service Associate (Supervisor) (Current Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: nice hours
Cons: benefits suck, management has lost their way, you'll work hard but get 0 credit.
People's United Bank was a dream come true when I first started her 3 years ago. However; since starting here the culture has changed and everyone, especially the customers are suffering because of it.

The Boston market has focused a lot on hiring people from BOA so that they can bring that BOA attitude of selling and apply it here and while I believe change can be good, it has hurt this company. New managers are not trained on the culture or even how to process transactions or open accounts. No one is ever held accountable and customers are always given wrong information because people in management don't want to admit they're wrong.

There used to be a lot of opertunity to grow but the growth manager won't promote anyone internally because he thinks everyone is lazy and tries to bully you into working for free until he is basically out of options and has to promote people out of pure nessacity.

If you're looking for a job this place will help to pay your bills but if you're looking for a career you might want to consider looking elsewhere.
strong customer service values
Financial Services Associate (Current Employee), Levittown, NYJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: promotional incentives
Cons: inadequate staffing, little work/life balance
Your title only means as much as you can do within the confines of the company but not how little you may do -although entitled for many to understand as a banker, still take on teller transactions, however am also licensed for residential lending and can generate business lines as well -giving the customer the full 360 effect of you being their personal banker

coworkers are energetic and always willing to help -not just the customer but the team

hardest part of the job is really delving in to a person's finances and reasons as to why and how they want their money handled -tend to get a greater story than expected and they
re not particularly present ones

best part- finding the perfect financial solution for your customer , very rewarding to watch people receive whaqt they never thought they could get, help people achieve their various financial goals in a multitude of ways

management- varies branch to branch, but ultimately , based on upper management -market and regional managers -that make the job a little more difficult -the promise of moving up "quickly" in the company sometimes leads to empty promises, some HR standards are simply double-edge swords of rules and penalties
Not what they make you think it is.....
Former Financial Service Associate (Former Employee), MassachusettsSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: great co-workers(before taken over) we were like family
Cons: upper management stink, comp is awful, everyone is replaceable.
I was with them for 4 years, well we got bought out by them(very typical) They seemed awesome at first, very friendly, very interested in YOU....it all went downhill from there. They got rid off people and never replaced them, which meant, more workload for you. They will take you and squeeze every little bit of you, and make promises, which will NEVER come true. They train every employee to be flexible in every area without compensating them for it. I was doing a Supervisors roll with a teller salary. Had the responsibilities of one but that was pretty much it. Like some people have said, the turnover of their workers is ridiculous. Just in 6 months, we had 4 managers. We lost so many customers because of this. The only reason some of them stayed was because of us. Which, by the way, the employees that are there now, are looking to leave soon. They want us to do sales but their products truly do stink. Upper management doesn't care about their employees. We are all replaceable. I really wouldn't lie about his bank, it just isn't what I thought it would be.
It was my home for 17 plus years..
Senior Financial Service Associate (Former Employee), Torrington, CTSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: took care of employees, overall great place to work.
Cons: that my location closed.
My time at People's was cut short, our location closed. Throughout my time at the bank I had great interaction with customers, co-workers etc. I learned all the basics of everday banking, on-line, phone, BSA, all required bank regulations.

My co-workers were my family. I saw them more than my children. I was very fortunate to have great managers during my time at People's. Went above and beyond to further me in my banking career.

I can't say there was a hard part, not with the job but with myself. I guess it would be that I would over think it. Knew the answer but would second guess myself. A lesson that I learned was put yourself out there, only I can determine what path I will take. Sometimes you hit a dead end, but learning how to get back is the real lesson. One manager I had taught me a great way to think of my job. " You don't have to go to work" "You get to go to work". I guess I never realized how great my job was till it was gone.

The customers by far was the most enjoyable part of my day. I would look forward to seeing our regulars as I sort of grew up with them. I was with People's from 1994 to 2012, it was home to me.
A day in the life of a PUB Employee
Sr. Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Saugus, MANovember 7, 2014
Pros: great customers, friendly coworkers, great location
Cons: healthcare, short lunches, sales goals
I start the day off by coming in and getting my drawer from the vault to begin my teller duties. I then check to see if I have any calls I need to make to customers regarding sales or services.

After I finish my calls I check to make sure that everything that we faxed over the day before have reached the proper departments and have been imaged accordingly. If they have not I refax and check again the next day.

Throughout the day I handle customer transactions as well as balancing the ATM, Vault and TAU (Cash Dispenser)

My coworkers and I get along wonderfully. I am a very positive person that can get along with anyone. I have been told by many coworkers that I bring a sense of positivity to the office.

The hardest part of my jobs is the sales. We are constantly being pushed to sell this and sell that and although I am able to succeed, I still find it personally difficult and it takes me out of my comfort zone.

I enjoy the customer interaction of my job the most. Being able to help people from day to day makes my entire job worth while. I love when a customer comes in with a problem or complaint and I can have them smiling by the time they leave.
Great place to show off my customer service skills!
Senior Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Saint Albans, VTApril 9, 2014
Pros: get to work with great people and interact with customers.
Cons: the sales goals that have to be met quarterly.
A typical day at People's United Bank is interacting with customers, processing customers transactions, daily teller work, opening new accounts. I have learned a lot over the past 3yrs working at the bank, I have learned all of the bank products that we offer, complete yearly training, take classes to improve myself, how to interact with customers on a daily basis and many other aspects of the job. My co-workers are a great team and we are always trying to brainstorm ways to attain our goals as individuals and for the bank as a whole. The hardest part of the job is trying to achieve all the goals that I am handed quarterly. Sales has always been a weakness for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers because over time I have gotten to meet a lot of great people and they always appreciate the help that I give them. Not all customers are friendly or easy to deal with sometimes but I always remain focus and try to help them out as much as I can.
Too boring and you have to take too much from the callers
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Burlington, VTDecember 16, 2015
Pros: Nice office space with a view
Cons: Almost everything else
Drudgery is the best description of this job. Awful. Inflexible schedule. Horrible pay. Management doesn't do much more than train new people coming through the revolving door of this institution. Customers must bear with out of date technology and you are the one who gets to explain to them why the bank gets so much of their money in fees. (Even though it's the bank's fault.) Bad culture for customers.
If this is your first job you may not get how awful it is, so go for it. But if you've had other jobs that paid more with less aggravation from customers, then you should avoid it. Not a good place to work unless you want to be sworn at all day and get a fat rear end from sitting all day literally attached to a phone.
The # of job openings=turnover. Just look at how long some jobs have been posted (and # of times the same job has been posted)
Would rather not share. (Former Employee), VermontMarch 31, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, learning & development
Cons: laughable pay scale, everyone is replaceable=no job security, training offered, but it's a joke- you can never go because you are usually short staffed
Worked for them for quite some time. Horrible management- ridiculous pay.
I worked for a successful department. What I saw over the years- they truly do not care about their employees. Everyone is replaceable (even the HR manager would tell branch managers that.)
They burn people out- and do not care, because they can be replaced. It sounds cliché, but I guarantee you can even ask current employees and they would tell you the same (but may not out of fear of HR.) Example: Wilmington FSM job. They've been posting that since last August! Cannot fill it- people know what People's is like to their employees.
Not something I would consider again
Lead Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Bangor, MESeptember 17, 2013
Pros: great co workers and customers
Cons: no room for advancement, managers could not do their job
Typical day would be assisting customers with deposits, new accounts, loans and mortgages as well as coaching staff to sell, sell, sell.
I learned that even though I may have been told I would go higher it would never happen. I was made many promises and nothing ever came of it, In my last few years there management did not do their job and it made more work for me. It also created tension in the branch but no one would listen to or fix the issues. Co workers were great - they put up with so many changes and issues but still continued to wait on their customers with a smile on their face.
Hardest part of my job was not having any help in my duties and still having to help others with others.
Horrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee), ConnecticutApril 25, 2013
Pros: customers
Cons: compensation, upper management, benefits
People's is an organization that could care less about most of their employees. Upper management only favors those who go above and beyond to get their sales goals, by the way they are unrealistic; even if that means you have to be unethical. The unethical ones are the ones that get praised, raises and are on the promotion platform. If you care about your customers is not enough, you must be a SALES MACHINE. Upper management do not care about you or your family, nor work quality. You get paid to work 40hrs a week and they make you work 50+hrs a week, without paying you extra. This company is the worst place to work for. Then they wonder why they have so much turnover in branch manager and employees! In this place is who you know and not what type of employee you are. Good luck if you want to work here, unless you want to live a stressful life, where they treat you horrible and don't appreciate their employees!
champainge taste on a beer budget
Lead Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), New Haven,CTApril 18, 2015
The experience that you get working at Peoples United is great. You can get ample training within the company if the tight scheduling will allow it. Working at a traditional branch is ideal, the Stop and Shop branch hours are very convenient for the customers, not so much for the employees. The day to day daily tasks that are asked of the employees are more than what you are compensated for. Employees are often asked to work long 10 hour day, open and maintain personal and business accounts, open and close the branches, audit boxes and ATM. You are often expected to perform management tasks only being compensated for teller pay. It’s very hard to balance work and home life with PUB. It’s a great place to start and take advantage of the training; however it is not a career for most by any means.
Busy atmosphere with something new to learn everyday
Financial Service Associate (Current Employee), Bridgeport, CTJune 16, 2015
Working at my job is a very good learning environment. It is a very fast pace environment with a lot of learning opportunities. One of the main things learned is customer service, hence having great customer service skills. Management helps to make the day go by faster and clears up any questions or issues that come up throughout the day. Coworkers also help to get to the ultimate goal and we all work great together. The hardest part of the job is not being able to answer certain questions myself. This is where learning oportunities come from. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the satisfaction on the customer's face when their problem has been resolved and they have accomplished what they came to do.
Growing pains but great learning opportunities
Customer Service Branch Manager (Current Employee), New YorkMarch 16, 2015
Pros: many certifications/trainings to be had
Cons: get pulled in many different and changing directions
Prior to the acquisition of ~60 branches of Citizens Bank, the company was run a certain way. Since then many things have changed in terms of management, goals, and overall focus.

The system of two managers, one operational and one sales, has intertwined their overall assignments without maintaining purpose for both roles.

In a Branch management role you are afforded many new items to learn/leverage/required thresholds such as; Mortgage lending, consumer lending, business lending, life insurance sales, investment sales, and Notary. While the trainings and licensing are great growth potentials, each new license/topic requires individual thresholds or goals to be met.
Productive Learning Environment
Lead Call Center Representative (Current Employee), Burlington, VTOctober 14, 2014
Pros: co-workers made it such a enjoyable and friendly environment
Cons: difficult to relay thoughts to management
* A Typical day at work is to come in at 8am, log into the phones and take calls until 5pm. We would have a 1hr lunch break during the day.
* I learned a lot about customer service, I feel this job helped me to aquire knowledge about how to handle escalated situations, and as a supervisor that is what I spent my day doing.
* The hardest part of the job was figuring out certain customer issues. Some issues just take time to research and figure out. However this was also the most rewarding part of the job. Figuring out a complicated customer issue and being able to contact the customer and tell them that we have found a resolution was enjoyable.
A buyer beware situation
Lead Customer Service Associate/Senior Adjuster (Current Employee), Bridgeport, CTFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: friendly coworkers
Cons: little room for growth, poor management, decline in benefits package
What was once an enjoyable place to work all around has become a hit or miss experience. The management team you have at this company can make or break your career. Most managers in the retail side of banking are constantly pushing sales goals. Managers on the corporate side are stretching employees too thin and then giving repremands for simple human mistakes. Employees are so busy that time to learn and grow within the company is nonexistent. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. Benefits are steadily declining. I recommend passing on making a career with this company.
Poor senior management - Shareholders are bank's main concern- not employees or customers
Retail Banker (Former Employee), VermontSeptember 12, 2012
Pros: training, great co- wogranted good resume builder
Cons: low pay, bad communication, employees taken for granted, 401k and other benefits mediocre at best
Great training opportunities but limited advancement opportunities. Branches are always short staffed which puts pressure on other staff.
Unrealistic expectations with too many duties with limited time; taking time and focus away from the most important thing= excellent customer service.
Senior mgmt. doesn't provide support and Human Resources is quite frankly; unsupportive and cold.
Morale is very, very low in branches. There is a major lack of communication
Lots of turnover
Pay scale is quite low
Sad, because they have the best employees!
Friendly, fun work environment with great benefits and co-workers
part-time customer service associate (Former Employee), Thornwood, NYMay 8, 2012
Pros: flexible scheduling, great benefits, friendly coworkers, reasonable management.
Cons: most days were slow with customers, hard to branch out beyond our existing customers.
I had a great management team and wonderful coworkers who were very helpful and friendly not only to our customers but to new and old employees when help was needed. They provided benefits for part-time as well as full-time employees and offered tuition reimbursements. I enjoyed working with our customers and meeting new potential customers and selling them products and services that were personalize to their needs and wants. Lunch time was the busiest time so I do have to admit it was hard to keep up with all the customers coming in when some of the tellers were on break, but I enjoy challenges.