Pella Corporation Employee Reviews

More of a seasonal job than a full-time job
Production operator (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 20, 2013
Seasonal-like job, some overtime in the summer, hardly any hours in the winter and spring. They have a strict expectation of following the pace as all lines have a certain amount of time, tack time, each employee is suppose to work under for each department. The managers do stand over you with stop watches and time you. If you cannot run the speed desired you will be at risk for termination for quality of work. They no longer use a rotation schedule so they can make more windows (production) and over work everyone in one position when on overtime with high demands of orders. Which is resulting in lots of repetitive motion injuries.I would not recommend working here for any reason.
well paying job for area
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAMarch 12, 2013
a typical day at work involved being on an assembly line making windows. i learned about the window making process from cutting the raw materials to finishing the finished product. management for the corporation mainly consisted of unexperienced young college graduates who knew nothing of production. plus pella would move managers around so often that no manager truely learned their line. co-workers were all great people just trying to make a living. hardest part of the job would be the extreme heat. the most enjoyable part of the job was the 4 day work weeks of working 10 hr days 4 days a week.
Pros
having three day weekends
Cons
extreme heat conditions and poor quality products
Supply Chain Manager; Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAAugust 7, 2012
Pella was a great place to work when the housing industry was growing. There was lots of opportunity, the profit sharing was substantial and performance bonuses were good.
When the housing market slowed down, Pella understandably did not have the same profits to share. There was a reduction in hours and the management team had to get creative to not layoff a large number of employees. Overall I would recommend Pella to anyone looking for a career in manufacturing.
Pros
culture and values
Very fast, high quality products Pella produces
operator-back up lead (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, paNovember 13, 2011
Pella all in all wasn't a horrible place to work at. It is very fast, the operators get timed three times everyday to make sure they are moving fast enough. They are big on quality, the operators, leads, and manager all does quality checks throughout the shift. There was usually always overtime somewhere in the plant if you wished to work it. However all overtime in your department was manditory.
Pros
always had work, good hourly wage
Cons
do not work with you well with doctor appointments, sick kids, evaluations were hard, almost impossible to get a raise, health insurance not very good
I had a great 10 plus years at Pella Corporation.
National Accounts Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAMarch 26, 2012
My job as a District Sales Manager was challenging and included working with a sales team that at one time covered 13 western states. There was always a new opportunity in working with the sales team and our customers. Every rep on the team had a territory that may include travel which had to be planned for in order to keep a good work/life balance. Duties included product and sales training, inventory management and public relations. I enjoyed the travel opportunities but more important I enjoyed the developmental opportunities, the training sessions and the relationships that were built with our team, our customers and at times our customer'e customers.
Pella Corporation is the greates place ive ever worked,and miss it terribly.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCMay 1, 2012
Pella is a super great place to work,every aspect of the job is well organized,people are caring and co-operative. benefits and hours are perfect for my life style.I have learned many new skills that will be alotted to my future success.my co- workers were like family,there really was no hard parts of any job there that i had to perform,but i would say rolling screens to tact time was probably most demanding for me,luckily ,I didnt have to do that to the point of dread,so it was all good excercise for our bodies.the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i was able to make a difference in our company in many ways as was others.
Pros
learning new skills
Cons
sometimes hot

Comment – May 18, 2012

Sounds like a Corporate manager wrote this. The reality was the opposite of everything u mentioned.

Pella was a very intense but productive workplace.
Operated Sash Welder and Sash Cleaner (Former Employee) –  west columbia scJune 28, 2012
Before start up at Pella Corporation it was required for workers to performed daily scretches before start-up. Teamleaders assign workers the areas to worked until it was time for rotation. Ive learned to punctual at all times, to patient, to established great communication with co-workers and managers. To work to tha best of my abilities.The hardest part of my job at the time was the intensity of the job. Seeking to meet the goals that was required.
Pros
acttivities for family and friends., special set ups the company would have for employees each month.
Cons
last minute notice to work additional hours before end of the shift, teamleaders or managers timing employees, the heat temperatures
Great pay, negative atmosphere and management
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carroll, IANovember 17, 2011
Pella pays very well if you're in the right position. Beyond that, the atmosphere stinks and the management is pretty awful. The work life balance is almost non-existent during the summer, and the life work balance is way out of whack the opposite way during the winter. If you like being treated like a robot, with no respect, this is the place for you.
Pros
pay
Cons
atmosphere and management
Great co-workers, management is not good!
assembler (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PaDecember 6, 2012
Not very good management. High expectations, and they are big on their timings. They stand behind you with a stop watch and if you do not get product out in the right time, you get wrote up for it. Three write ups your out the door! Not a very good family oriented place. They could care less about your family as long as they had a body there.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Good company to work for, treat employees fairly.
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairfeild, OhioDecember 4, 2011
There are opportunities to advance within the company. They demonstrate to be caring for employees by giving raises and sharing company profits. They have a good retirement program set up so employees do not actually have to contribute. Overall the company is fair to all employees and it is a place you do not mind going too.
horrible place to work
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 18, 2012
This was my worst job ever. Avoid this place if possible. the ergonomics of each workstation is horrible, it will ruin your body for life.ie: arthritis, painful feet. Management having relationships with employees. Favortism. No advancment
Pros
ummmm
Cons
underpaid, unhealthy work conditions, ?hot, unethical managers, bad insurance, poor incentives
Pella believes in quality products and family.
Specialist A, Curved Parts Water Spider (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, IAJanuary 16, 2013
Working for Pella was an experience to remember. The company and its managers operate smoothly and efficiently, and the employees generally get along well together with additional communication of tasks and safety procedures.

Most enjoyable: Set hours, great pay and benefits, and the chance to be exposed to a line of work that can be educational and rewarding.

Least enjoyable: The indoor environment of the factory: Because the wood conditions need to be maintained at certain temperatures and humidity levels (no A/C during the summer and water misters providing extra humidity during the dry winter months), the indoor environment eventually became too physically unbearable to work in such conditions.
Pros
the opportunity to work with great people; benefits
Cons
overall environment
Productive and sometimes fun place to work. Lots of overtime
Lead (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 20, 2013
When working overtime with this company the hours can be long and rough. When working a straight 40 hour work week, the job can be fullfilling and fun. The pay is decent, but it is often hard to balance work and family life depending on the shift you work.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
long hard hours, physical labor.
was a good place to work in begiining but not valued as much as it was in beginning
material handler (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 10, 2012
was a good place to work but hard to advance anymore not very good at giving raises or cost of living raises they do care about safety and their product being of good quality
Pros
offer lunch and learns / do blood drives /
Cons
could offer more benefits for employees
I enjoyed everyday at this facility a fabulous work environment.
Saw Machine Operator/Production Assembler (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCJune 5, 2014
Management and the employees were on the same page for getting our numbers in a safe manner. The only hard part of the job was that it got a really hot in the summer. But i left there everyday with a smile.
they dont care about their employees.
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 1, 2013
I worked their 8 yrs. I only made .35 cents over a new hire. They took my raise away because I got sick n then trained me everywhere in the plant. Their health ins isn't that good. If u get hurt ( like a back or shoulder injury) they try to get rid of u.
Pros
has flex spend
Cons
to many to list
Suffering market, great product and reputation, a house divided
Trade Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 21, 2012
The business was great during the housing boom. Now due to the struggling economy they are trying to find a way to adapt. I believe in their products but they are lossing market share and the employees are feeling a large part of the burden.
great group of coworkers
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pella, IAMarch 11, 2014
semi seasonal work. winters were usually slow so you could get a lot of time off or work reduced hours. summer months were very busy so it was hard to take time off and usually work 50+ hours per week.
Pros
compensation was awesome, great coworkers
Cons
long hours, a lot of weekends
Very well organized company with excellent lean initiatives
3rd Shift Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 18, 2012
Company was fun to work with and challenging.
Team Culture is engrained into all aspects of the plant
Pros
excellent lean environment
Cons
demanding in regards to time and expectations
Typical Day
National Accounts Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Pella, IASeptember 21, 2014
Every day is different which I love. It keeps you on your toes and never gets boring. Very challenging work that requires successful multitasking.