Pella Corporation Employee Reviews

A Good Job with Hard Work
Saw Operator, Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA20 May 2015
I worked there for 10.5 years. The job was demanding, but paid well. Benefits were excellent.

The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for 8 to 10 hours per day.

Safety is a very big issue. I learned how to keep a safe working environment.

The factory is shut down for up to two weeks at Christmas time.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours standing
overall, a wonderful place of employment
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Sioux Center, IA12 October 2014
enjoyed fellow employees and working with computer assisted machines and assembling final parts. Had a large turnover in the management side which had a minimal effect on the employees I was working with. I was laid off during one of the company downsizings they had in that period and bega retirement.
Pros
extremely clean envoiornment for machining materials.
Cons
never knew exactly how long this manager would be there
Always food somewhere
Factory Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA21 November 2014
I would complete orders to the best of my ability. Customer satisfaction and safety are top priorities. I have met a lot of wonderful people at Pella Corp. and I was very proud to let people know that I was a member of the Pella team. A lot of labor was in my job description but that made the day go fast. Management was professional.
Pros
Always dinners, potlucks etc...
Cons
You could tell you had a work out by the end of the day
Hard work, well paid
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA18 December 2013
Extremely hard work. Fast paced. Heavy lifting. Extremely hot in the summer... Having said that, it is one of the highest paid employers in the area.

6 days a week during busy season/summer
Very slow during slow season, employees encouraged to take time off.

Constant management changes. Always someone new.

Co workers were great, they were happy for the most part and easy to work with.

Always an opportunity to change positions, learn something new, or change departments.

Drama free. Management doesn't bother with nonsense found in other companies. All they care about is numbers and productivity.
Pros
Wages, room for growth
Cons
Hiring managers fresh out of college with little to no work experience.
Very fast, high quality products Pella produces
operator-back up lead (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, pa13 November 2011
Pella all in all wasn't a horrible place to work at. It is very fast, the operators get timed three times everyday to make sure they are moving fast enough. They are big on quality, the operators, leads, and manager all does quality checks throughout the shift. There was usually always overtime somewhere in the plant if you wished to work it. However all overtime in your department was manditory.
Pros
always had work, good hourly wage
Cons
do not work with you well with doctor appointments, sick kids, evaluations were hard, almost impossible to get a raise, health insurance not very good
Supply Chain Manager; Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA7 August 2012
Pella was a great place to work when the housing industry was growing. There was lots of opportunity, the profit sharing was substantial and performance bonuses were good.
When the housing market slowed down, Pella understandably did not have the same profits to share. There was a reduction in hours and the management team had to get creative to not layoff a large number of employees. Overall I would recommend Pella to anyone looking for a career in manufacturing.
Pros
culture and values
well paying job for area
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA12 March 2013
a typical day at work involved being on an assembly line making windows. i learned about the window making process from cutting the raw materials to finishing the finished product. management for the corporation mainly consisted of unexperienced young college graduates who knew nothing of production. plus pella would move managers around so often that no manager truely learned their line. co-workers were all great people just trying to make a living. hardest part of the job would be the extreme heat. the most enjoyable part of the job was the 4 day work weeks of working 10 hr days 4 days a week.
Pros
having three day weekends
Cons
extreme heat conditions and poor quality products
Great company with a solid direction
National Accounts Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH20 March 2013
The management training program is great at Pella Corporation. They train you how to handle difficult employee situations, team building, and how to be a leader not just a manager. Also another part of working with Pella is that they focus on your personal growth. They have a formal mentoring program that pairs you with people from other business functions.
Pros
good management
Cons
economy impacts building material supply
over all good work place clean had to resign due to lack of work becoming more and more slow each year
Assembly and Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PA1 June 2013
started 7 am did our stretches in the morning. Out look of work for the week ahead. I learned many different machine operations. I really enjoyed my co-workers got along well with the team. rolling and building screens was the hardest but I kept up well with it. most enjoyable was the fast paced environment. i like to keep busy
benefits
Cons
short breaks and short lunch
More of a seasonal job than a full-time job
Production operator (Former Employee) –  Murray, KY20 May 2013
Seasonal-like job, some overtime in the summer, hardly any hours in the winter and spring. They have a strict expectation of following the pace as all lines have a certain amount of time, tack time, each employee is suppose to work under for each department. The managers do stand over you with stop watches and time you. If you cannot run the speed desired you will be at risk for termination for quality of work. They no longer use a rotation schedule so they can make more windows (production) and over work everyone in one position when on overtime with high demands of orders. Which is resulting in lots of repetitive motion injuries.I would not recommend working here for any reason.
I had a great 10 plus years at Pella Corporation.
National Accounts Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA26 March 2012
My job as a District Sales Manager was challenging and included working with a sales team that at one time covered 13 western states. There was always a new opportunity in working with the sales team and our customers. Every rep on the team had a territory that may include travel which had to be planned for in order to keep a good work/life balance. Duties included product and sales training, inventory management and public relations. I enjoyed the travel opportunities but more important I enjoyed the developmental opportunities, the training sessions and the relationships that were built with our team, our customers and at times our customer'e customers.
Pella Corporation is the greates place ive ever worked,and miss it terribly.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SC1 May 2012
Pella is a super great place to work,every aspect of the job is well organized,people are caring and co-operative. benefits and hours are perfect for my life style.I have learned many new skills that will be alotted to my future success.my co- workers were like family,there really was no hard parts of any job there that i had to perform,but i would say rolling screens to tact time was probably most demanding for me,luckily ,I didnt have to do that to the point of dread,so it was all good excercise for our bodies.the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i was able to make a difference in our company in many ways as was others.
Pros
learning new skills
Cons
sometimes hot
Pella was a very intense but productive workplace.
Operated Sash Welder and Sash Cleaner (Former Employee) –  west columbia sc28 June 2012
Before start up at Pella Corporation it was required for workers to performed daily scretches before start-up. Teamleaders assign workers the areas to worked until it was time for rotation. Ive learned to punctual at all times, to patient, to established great communication with co-workers and managers. To work to tha best of my abilities.The hardest part of my job at the time was the intensity of the job. Seeking to meet the goals that was required.
Pros
acttivities for family and friends., special set ups the company would have for employees each month.
Cons
last minute notice to work additional hours before end of the shift, teamleaders or managers timing employees, the heat temperatures
Great pay, negative atmosphere and management
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carroll, IA17 November 2011
Pella pays very well if you're in the right position. Beyond that, the atmosphere stinks and the management is pretty awful. The work life balance is almost non-existent during the summer, and the life work balance is way out of whack the opposite way during the winter. If you like being treated like a robot, with no respect, this is the place for you.
Pros
pay
Cons
atmosphere and management
Company to Grow with
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Story City, Iowa25 August 2014
I started out as an hourly team member and worked my way up through the ranks very quickly. Pella is the place that I learned how to become a leader that understands metrics and how to get what is needed. I thought I would retire with Pella and would have if the housing market didn't play a role in shutting down my plant in Iowa. I very much respect Pella and wish nothing but the best for them!
Great co-workers, management is not good!
assembler (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, Pa6 December 2012
Not very good management. High expectations, and they are big on their timings. They stand behind you with a stop watch and if you do not get product out in the right time, you get wrote up for it. Three write ups your out the door! Not a very good family oriented place. They could care less about your family as long as they had a body there.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management
Good company to work for, treat employees fairly.
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairfeild, Ohio4 December 2011
There are opportunities to advance within the company. They demonstrate to be caring for employees by giving raises and sharing company profits. They have a good retirement program set up so employees do not actually have to contribute. Overall the company is fair to all employees and it is a place you do not mind going too.
horrible place to work
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC18 May 2012
This was my worst job ever. Avoid this place if possible. the ergonomics of each workstation is horrible, it will ruin your body for life.ie: arthritis, painful feet. Management having relationships with employees. Favortism. No advancment
Pros
ummmm
Cons
underpaid, unhealthy work conditions, ?hot, unethical managers, bad insurance, poor incentives
Pella believes in quality products and family.
Specialist A, Curved Parts Water Spider (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, IA16 January 2013
Working for Pella was an experience to remember. The company and its managers operate smoothly and efficiently, and the employees generally get along well together with additional communication of tasks and safety procedures.

Most enjoyable: Set hours, great pay and benefits, and the chance to be exposed to a line of work that can be educational and rewarding.

Least enjoyable: The indoor environment of the factory: Because the wood conditions need to be maintained at certain temperatures and humidity levels (no A/C during the summer and water misters providing extra humidity during the dry winter months), the indoor environment eventually became too physically unbearable to work in such conditions.
Pros
the opportunity to work with great people; benefits
Cons
overall environment
Productive and sometimes fun place to work. Lots of overtime
Lead (Current Employee) –  Murray, KY20 May 2013
When working overtime with this company the hours can be long and rough. When working a straight 40 hour work week, the job can be fullfilling and fun. The pay is decent, but it is often hard to balance work and family life depending on the shift you work.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Long hard hours, physical labor.