Pella Corporation Employee Reviews

Not to bad
Operator B (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PA12 August 2016
I worked there for a couple of years wasn't that bad. I was in the radius department and loved it didn't like being in my station by my self for a year. When I got back from Canada my manager at the time said do what you need to do we need to make product. Working the bugs out with help from my maintenance man. And one day we got a new manager didn't know how to do my job and tried to change everything I worked so hard on. I was impressing the big dogs for Iowa with everything I did. Even bending the triple pane glass bead. But it wasn't good enough for my manager so I walked way. The Iowa boys weren't happy but couldn't help me. I would like to go back but not if he still runs that line. And all the hard work I did I didn't get a raise the last two years I was there.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, payday was always on Friday
Cons
Zach
Pella is a nice place to work
3rd shift assembler (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PA10 December 2016
Been working there since October 2016, once it's January I will be able to get the full benefits and everything since I went through a temp agency to get the job but overall a great place to work and people are pretty cool and easy to get along with and helpful to make everyone's jobs easier
Pros
Typically 2-3 breaks, time goes fast, friendly staff
Cons
Honestly think there should be a pool table, or free coffee atleast there that definelty boost overall moral of employees I believe so
Productive and very friendly
Tech Operator (Current Employee) –  Murray, KY15 December 2016
If you don't mind working hard pella is the place to be.people who work there are fun to work with and there are a few activities such as there golf league,that is a blast. They have Christmas parties for your kids and Easter parties as well as bowling tournaments golf tournaments and sometimes flag football.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
You will work hard
Close nit company
Contact Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA19 December 2016
I was very close to all my co-workers and most of the management. I would take phone calls daily to help customer's with their Pella windows and doors. The difficult part of the job was not interacting with people personality. I like to talk to people face to face instead of over the phone.
Company with a vision that is failing
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA13 October 2016
Pete Kuyper (company founder) established a vision of how he wanted his company to be ran, unfortunately, the current regime is not living up to those standards.
Pros
Profit Sharing
Cons
Work life balance
Great place to work with people focused culture
Talent Acquisition Intern (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA27 July 2016
Pella places a lot of focus on servant leadership, continuous improvement and giving back to the community. People are quick to help and respond. I was given the opportunity to grow not only professionally but personally as well. They were truly invested in my career.
Pella Corporation
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA7 November 2016
Typical day at work would be assisting customers at the inbound call center providing information about product knowledge, product eligibility,estimated time of arrival, and product availability. I have learned how to take care of each customer one at a time and providing accurate information every time; while documenting any call so any one of my team members would be able to assist the customer next time they call in. The hardest part of the job is there is difficult to please everyone. The most enjoyable part is helping customers sell products.
Beware
Operator II (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PA26 May 2016
I currently work 3rd shift hours, 8:30pm to 6:30 am Sunday night through Friday morning. Extremely fast paced environment, expect to have Carpal Tunnel and Arthritis by your mid 20s. They only care about their production numbers at the end of the night, and will do whatever it takes to achieve them, so expect to bounce around between other lines/departments which can be very frustrating. And causes Very high turn over rate. You are being "timed" to do your job, this company has a time system and believes it has no flaws which I did agree. Your opinion will not be considered. Very short breaks include (2) 10 minute breaks and one 20 minute lunch for a 10 hour period. Expect (2) 6 minute and one 15 minute breaks bc they want you at your station ready to work at the end of breaks, not walking back from the break room. Management is a joke. Always somebody new bc they can't keep good managers, I wonder why?! Fresh managers out of college with no manufacturing experience will be your leader. No time with family during busy season, (April-September) sleep all day and work all night including overtime on Friday nights. Expect a 36 hour weekend to yourself. Hours drops below 30 hours/week in slow season (October-March) so plan ahead for a part time job. Advancement is available but will still face problems stated above. My overall experience was ok until the end of my 3 year career at this company. Good company to put some money in your pocket if you can handle it, but wouldn't recommend it, there are more "work friendly" jobs out there that will spare your back and fingers.
Pros
Great Health/Dental insurance.
Cons
Everything in review!
Long hours and high speed environment
Line Lead - Material Handler - Operator (Former Employee) –  Murray, KY28 November 2015
While the managerial culture often feels lacking, the job does provide decent compensation. There is a good retirement program and insurance is almost completely paid by the company. However, long hours and minimal environmental controls make this a sometimes difficult job to weather in spite of the benefits. Upward mobility is decent, and you will go somewhere as long as you are willing to put in the time and do not complain too much.
Cons
Short breaks.
Very motivated company. But make special effort for employees.
Moulder Operator (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA9 January 2017
Very high prodution and ourput. Very quick in training on some new jobs. Managment very visible and involved and there to answer any questions on production.
Pros
Special days like Adventureland luncheons.
Cons
Many hours sometimes makes outside activities difficult.
Strongly encourages continuous improvemnts
RELOCATION MGR/SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA8 July 2016
In the 8 years that I was employed by Pella Corporation, I was always encourage to reach a little farther and recognized for my accomplishments
Very Corporate invironment
Drafting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA28 May 2015
When I first started with Pella, it was a family owned business that gave its employees the respect they deserved for the quality of work they provided. In the later years of my employment there, they became very corporate in that they put the company profit ahead of the welfare and treatment of their employees.
Pros
Full benefits.
Cons
Low job security, top heavy management.
Supply Chain Manager; Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA7 August 2012
Pella was a great place to work when the housing industry was growing. There was lots of opportunity, the profit sharing was substantial and performance bonuses were good.
When the housing market slowed down, Pella understandably did not have the same profits to share. There was a reduction in hours and the management team had to get creative to not layoff a large number of employees. Overall I would recommend Pella to anyone looking for a career in manufacturing.
Pros
culture and values
I had a great 10 plus years at Pella Corporation.
National Accounts Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA26 March 2012
My job as a District Sales Manager was challenging and included working with a sales team that at one time covered 13 western states. There was always a new opportunity in working with the sales team and our customers. Every rep on the team had a territory that may include travel which had to be planned for in order to keep a good work/life balance. Duties included product and sales training, inventory management and public relations. I enjoyed the travel opportunities but more important I enjoyed the developmental opportunities, the training sessions and the relationships that were built with our team, our customers and at times our customer'e customers.
Other than the Marine Corps, this job was the most enjoyable for me.
Lead Value-Add/Composite Builder (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA6 April 2015
I enjoyed going to work everyday. By far, this is the best company I have worked for in the civilian sector. Great culture, family owned and operated, great compensation, would like the opportunity to work for this company again. Have had nothing but regrets since leaving this company for family reasons in 2008.
Pros
Great company, great compensation, excellent benefits, treat all employees great.
Cons
Very fast, high quality products Pella produces
operator-back up lead (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, pa13 November 2011
Pella all in all wasn't a horrible place to work at. It is very fast, the operators get timed three times everyday to make sure they are moving fast enough. They are big on quality, the operators, leads, and manager all does quality checks throughout the shift. There was usually always overtime somewhere in the plant if you wished to work it. However all overtime in your department was manditory.
Pros
always had work, good hourly wage
Cons
do not work with you well with doctor appointments, sick kids, evaluations were hard, almost impossible to get a raise, health insurance not very good
Bad management, bad culture, bad pay.
Sr. Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA11 July 2015
Typical day go in work in at varying times as needed in all sorts of different weather and load/unload trailers with product bound for various destinations. Or building windows/doors and operating various equipment as needed by the company. Management constantly critiqued and criticized work practices without ever having done them and offered no solutions to the criticism being given. If you were somehow legitimately injured at work you were punished and in most cases terminated. Make claims to be a family/people oriented company and couldn't be further from the truth. I was relieved when i found another job and resigned.
Pros
Better then nothing
Cons
short breaks, terrible management, constantly changing schedule, no rearguard for employees.
needs a lot of work to make a better company
line employee (Current Employee) –  monett, mo11 April 2013
Working for a pella company is not very rewarding. They say they are a family oriented company, but working 60+ hours a week and make you work holidays keeps you from your family. Took away personal time where it screws over the employee and only benefits the company to make it easier to get rid of employee. Pella bought our company, Efco and trying to run it like a wood and vinyl window and door manufacturer, like pella windows and doors. When have kaizan events they already what they are going to do planned out and input from employees are ignored. They are getting rid of all the people that know what is going on and what has worked in past and what failed, and replacing them with overpaid college graduates that know nothing or bringing in people from other pella plants that are shutting down that have failed there. Management can not keep themselves straight. Tell you some thing and hour later you find out that what they told you was a lie. There is no trust between workers and management. Everytime you turn around you have a diffferent supervisor. Only advancement that you will receive is if you are a yes man. They will make you a leader, but if you have a opinion you wont advance. they tell you there is a open door policy, but the open door they open is one walking you out. They only good thing is the pay is decent.
Pros
pay
Cons
see review to many to list
A Good Job with Hard Work
Saw Operator, Assembler (Former Employee) –  Pella, IA20 May 2015
I worked there for 10.5 years. The job was demanding, but paid well. Benefits were excellent.

The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for 8 to 10 hours per day.

Safety is a very big issue. I learned how to keep a safe working environment.

The factory is shut down for up to two weeks at Christmas time.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours standing
Working with the public allowed me to utilize my oustanding customer service skills.
Showroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CA14 April 2015
Great company however not too much room for advancement. The product is outstanding and only wish the economy was in better shape so we did not have to close the showroom.
Pros
Positive feedback
Cons
Poor management