PEEL DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

No Stability and Outdated Policies
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 November 2016
Working as an occasional Behavioral Teaching Assistant a few years ago I would get far more jobs and at least would get calls the night before rather than in the morning and then there were fewer calls, they would be in the morning right before school started, only for half a day of work....and you are required to be available a minimum of 3 days a week for what......no one can live on that kind of insecurity.

I also was told after a number of months that I would never be hired as anything other than occasional because I don't have an ECE/Child and Youth Worker credential which to be honest is absurd as I have a 4 year undergraduate degree as well as post graduate education in mental health and addiction and a great deal of experience working with youth so I am more qualified than the people they are hiring. It is a "policy" issue that makes no sense.
Pros
I liked the disengaged youth I was working with
Cons
No job stability/security/room for growth
Pdsb
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 October 2016
I loved my job with the school board to the point where I never felt like I worked a day in my life! Loved being part of a team and interacting with staff and students.
productive and gain expereinces
educational assistant/primary/junior teacher/ECE (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2016
Making a difference in lives of students. It is a great place to meet valuable individuals who are understand the needs of the students
It is good opportunities to work with children
International language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 June 2016
Teaching Mandarin is every saturday during evey school year. I am so pleased teaching and learning with my students about Chinese cultural and language.
Pros
have opportunity to professional development day each year
Cons
only 2.5 hours a week
A great opportunity
Casual Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2016
I really enjoy working for peel because I am able to work in the field and use my education to its fullest potential. thank you.
Pros
a job i enjoy
Cons
summers off
Lunch Monitor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 June 2016
I enjoyed working with children and being of assistance for them.
The staff was friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed spending time with the children.
Great place to be in
Supply Lunch Room Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 May 2016
.Great place to be in. Friendly environment. cooperative and supportive staff.
job work & life balance can be managed easily.
Cons
A school district that serves approximately 155,000 students at more than 240 schools in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 May 2016
I teach students in grades Kindergarten to Grade 6. I typically teach lesson plans that teachers have left for me but once in a while I am able to incorporate my own ideas and lessons into the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children and establishing relationships with children in classes that I teach on a regular basis. It is important to me to be able to have even a small impact on the children every single day. I also have great respect and admiration for all of the teachers and administrators who I meet at the different schools and I enjoy getting to know them and learning from them.
Pros
Excellent working environment and conditions.
Cons
Can be inconsistent work (i.e. not every day).
Want to move on.
IT PROJECT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 May 2016
Used to be a good IT department. Not any more. Lot of Politics, nepotism. Want to move on. Work/Life balance is good. Not interested in writing more.
It's the Education Sector
Office Assistant - Computer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 May 2016
Working in a Secondary School, in the front office. Maintains, schedules and updates all student records and report cards. Verifies output and edits errors / conflicts. Contacts students / teachers / parents if necessary. Completes secretarial duties including typing / word processing, filing, activity bookings and photocopying. Performs communication duties including reception by phone or in person.
A great place to work!
Grade 3 Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peel District School Board25 April 2016
I am currently employed with the board and teach grade 3. I love working as a teacher and over the years, I have improved my practice through workshops, amazing colleagues and above all trial and error with students on a daily basis. Every child is unique, and I have learned how to best work with each individual student to meet thier individual needs. The best part of my job is seeing a student smile and satisfied with the outcome of thier hard work.
Pros
great people to learn and work with
Cons
productive and fun at workplace by reading books
Occasional Elementary Teacher (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 April 2016
Work environment makes a huge difference in the work place .There will be so many ups and downs at the work places one should know how to come out of it and with patience.i have learned so many new things like patience ,value of time .management plays a big role in the work place ( + or - ).Hardest part is long lines in all the jobs to get into it .The most enjoyable part of my jobs to spend time with kids and new people .Ongoing learning and always positive for all the things
Pros
teaching methods
Cons
limited hours
Notes System Analyst
Notes System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 April 2016
I have been involved with Lotus Notes since it was initially started at the board. I was responsible for migrating the board from MYRA mail to Notes. This system has expanded to 18,000 corporate users and 33,000 student users. I designed and implemented a customized login page to the Peel Broadcast page. I am also responsible for 150 school web sites using Quick Place as their web site tool. Some of the highlights of my duties in the Lotus Notes implementation and support are:
Software and Hardware Upgrades, creating customized databases, Palm and BlackBerry synchronization, digital sender, enhancements to email, performance and automating Notes Administrative Tasks.
Manage a team of three individuals to support our Lotus infrastructure (administration, development, server support).
Great place
Supply Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 February 2016
Awesome place to work, learned new skills and worked alongside a fantastic supervisor. Management was great and an upbeat environment was always maintained.
Great Workplace
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Derry West Village PS30 January 2016
The Peel District School Board was listed as one of the best employers to work for and I completely agree with the ranking. I have now worked as a DECE for the board for two years at two different schools and have always felt secure in my position. What I love about the board is the constant communication regarding learning opportunities such as workshops, modules, and other various programs that take place that aid in your professional growth.
The school I am currently working at holds some of the most personable and caring co-workers I have worked with to date.
An occasional teacher is an enjoyable and rewarding career but not stable.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peel, ON28 January 2016
I love being an occasional teacher because I enjoy teaching at the primary level. Children make me smile with the funniest and unexpected comments and behaviours. Classroom management is a must to set up properly at the beginning of your day or you are in for a rough day. It is a fun and rewarding career that fits into my busy lifestyle with two young children.
Pros
I can pick my own schedule.
Cons
The income is not stable.
Very energetic
Teacher's Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Sir Winston Churchill Public School13 January 2016
The workplace was at a school. I worked with kids on their math and English and craft time. It was a job that kept you on your feet and was very lively.
productive and enjoyable work enviorment
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 December 2015
its a great place to work with lots of room for movement. one must be dependable and well trained in order to ensure student supports and safety are meet.
Pros
off summers and winter break
Cons
being sick often
Summer Opportunity
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 November 2015
It was a fun work place to handle younger children to help them grow as individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job is to understand different behaviours of kids and ensure everyone is happy with the decisions made as a camp leader. Other than being a seasonal work, no other cons for this job.
Great work place
ACCOUNTING CLERK ( Co-Op Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2015
Supportive work place with highly cooperative co-workers and encouraging managers. I could learn much regarding the administrative works in finance department

4.5