PEEL DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews in Canada

Want to move on.
IT PROJECT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 12, 2016
Used to be a good IT department. Not any more. Lot of Politics, nepotism. Want to move on. Work/Life balance is good. Not interested in writing more.
A great place to work!
Grade 3 Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peel District School BoardApril 25, 2016
I am currently employed with the board and teach grade 3. I love working as a teacher and over the years, I have improved my practice through workshops, amazing colleagues and above all trial and error with students on a daily basis. Every child is unique, and I have learned how to best work with each individual student to meet thier individual needs. The best part of my job is seeing a student smile and satisfied with the outcome of thier hard work.
Pros
great people to learn and work with
Cons
productive and fun at workplace by reading books
Occasional Elementary Teacher (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 14, 2016
Work environment makes a huge difference in the work place .There will be so many ups and downs at the work places one should know how to come out of it and with patience.i have learned so many new things like patience ,value of time .management plays a big role in the work place ( + or - ).Hardest part is long lines in all the jobs to get into it .The most enjoyable part of my jobs to spend time with kids and new people .Ongoing learning and always positive for all the things
Pros
teaching methods
Cons
limited hours
Notes System Analyst
Notes System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2016
I have been involved with Lotus Notes since it was initially started at the board. I was responsible for migrating the board from MYRA mail to Notes. This system has expanded to 18,000 corporate users and 33,000 student users. I designed and implemented a customized login page to the Peel Broadcast page. I am also responsible for 150 school web sites using Quick Place as their web site tool. Some of the highlights of my duties in the Lotus Notes implementation and support are:
Software and Hardware Upgrades, creating customized databases, Palm and BlackBerry synchronization, digital sender, enhancements to email, performance and automating Notes Administrative Tasks.
Manage a team of three individuals to support our Lotus infrastructure (administration, development, server support).
Great place
Supply Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Awesome place to work, learned new skills and worked alongside a fantastic supervisor. Management was great and an upbeat environment was always maintained.
Great Workplace
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Derry West Village PSJanuary 30, 2016
The Peel District School Board was listed as one of the best employers to work for and I completely agree with the ranking. I have now worked as a DECE for the board for two years at two different schools and have always felt secure in my position. What I love about the board is the constant communication regarding learning opportunities such as workshops, modules, and other various programs that take place that aid in your professional growth.
The school I am currently working at holds some of the most personable and caring co-workers I have worked with to date.
An occasional teacher is an enjoyable and rewarding career but not stable.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peel, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I love being an occasional teacher because I enjoy teaching at the primary level. Children make me smile with the funniest and unexpected comments and behaviours. Classroom management is a must to set up properly at the beginning of your day or you are in for a rough day. It is a fun and rewarding career that fits into my busy lifestyle with two young children.
Pros
I can pick my own schedule.
Cons
The income is not stable.
Very energetic
Teacher's Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Sir Winston Churchill Public SchoolJanuary 13, 2016
The workplace was at a school. I worked with kids on their math and English and craft time. It was a job that kept you on your feet and was very lively.
productive and enjoyable work enviorment
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 15, 2015
its a great place to work with lots of room for movement. one must be dependable and well trained in order to ensure student supports and safety are meet.
Pros
off summers and winter break
Cons
being sick often
Summer Opportunity
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 24, 2015
It was a fun work place to handle younger children to help them grow as individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job is to understand different behaviours of kids and ensure everyone is happy with the decisions made as a camp leader. Other than being a seasonal work, no other cons for this job.
Great work place
ACCOUNTING CLERK ( Co-Op Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 1, 2015
Supportive work place with highly cooperative co-workers and encouraging managers. I could learn much regarding the administrative works in finance department
Work Environment
Budget - Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 26, 2015
I am very happy in my current employment, everyday is fulfilling.

I am very fortunate to work with many wonderful people and I get to interact with our students and parents in the community.

Every day is a different day, I have a variety of duties that it never has to be repetitive or boring.
Pros
Wonderful people at work and in the community
Friendly envirorment
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Great work place to be working in. Friendly staff members. Helpful co-workers and administrators. Good work hours. Working with students.
Pros
work hours
Cons
lack advancement opportunities
An inclusive school environment
Educational Resource Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto CanadaSeptember 4, 2015
An organization that provides an inclusive setting for children within a stimulating environment set for learning. Professionals within the educational field are given opportunities to effectively guide and enhance learning by providing a safe and nurturing setting. Learning tools and material are provided to engage and promote academic results and success. Roles include but is not limited to observation and assessments recommendations and report writing. To support roles within the organization working with policies, families, communities and other professionals is essential for continual success.
Pros
Contiual learning
Cons
Not enough time in the day
Child and Youth Worker
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 8, 2015
Wonderful experience and fantastic work environment. Looking forward to returning in September. The staff and students are a true pleasure to be around
Invigorating work atmosphere with creative students in the arts
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 25, 2015
A typical day at work begins with checking for extra work duties in my mailbox such as on calls or cafeteria duty. Next, I open my classroom door to the students and teach my three classes. During my preparation period I photocopy any handouts needed for the next day, make sure the art room materials are maintained and well stocked. I've learned this makes for a well run, organized art room where the students enjoy being creative. My co-workers do the same in their art rooms, which keeps things consistent within the art department.

The most difficult part of my job would be making sure all my students needs are met and all their questions are answered. This can be quite difficult with classes being so full.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing students learn to become better artists and take pride in their work.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lots of work at home
Fast- moving, academically intense.
Teacher, Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day at work as a school teacher demanded dozens of decisions that had to be made on the spot, and these small decisions had a big impact on the students involved, so I had to keep that in mind.

I learned that I was a role model for students and my habits impacted them more than the academic content that I presented.

The best part of the job was watching my students progress and grow. When I taught grade 6 their standardized test scores (EQAO) improved 18% in the first year and improved every year with each new group.
As Guidance Counselor I felt gratified by helping students going through rough phases in their lives. I also liked the broader view of the running of a school.
Another enjoyable part was the social interaction among the staff. I loved meeting parents and people of different cultures.
I also liked the fact that so many professional courses were available.
When I presented workshops to adults I enjoyed the positive feedback.

The hardest part of the job was accepting money shortages and doing outside duty in cold winter conditions.
Great and progressive employer with a large work force.
VICE-PRINCIPAL (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJanuary 5, 2015
A Vice-Principal (VP) typically works at a school and helps the principal in dealing with behavioral problems with students, evaluating teachers, dealing with the day to day maintenance of the school. A VP is heavily involved in the daily routines of the students, teachers, and parents who participate in the education of their children. This often takes the form of discipline when dealing with students whose behavior is disruptive to or unsafe for other students. VP's are primarily responsible for creation of timetabling, curriculum support, exam scheduling, exam supervision, teacher absences, teacher evaluations, school building maintenance, assessment and evaluation, student registration, extracurricular activities supervision, community outreach, professional development activities, and chairing various school and board related committees.

The working hours are long and each day is full of surprises. The fast pace of the day makes the job more challenging and interesting. Making a difference in the lives of the students is the most rewarding part of the job. In my case it was supporting at risk students, their parents and diverse communities.
Pros
interactions with students, parents, staff and the community
Supportive Environment with Friendly Co-workers
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 24, 2014
Administration makes a superb effort in meeting new substitute teachers and making them feel welcome in each school. Full time teachers help newcomers find their way around the building and finding any missing work or coming up with other possible solutions to a problem. Teachers also like to include substitutes they know into their activities and events (ex. going out for lunch, playing on a team, etc.).
Productive and fun place to work!
Casual Field Office Elementary Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 9, 2014
A typical day at work is waking up early in the morning and going to any assigned elementary school to assist the entire school as a behavioral teaching assistant where I assist students with behavioral/special needs. I have learned that it takes a lot of patience and time to do this job and to get through the day smoothly.

I am very manageable with this job, it includes a lot of time management skills because there are different students that need assistance at different times of the day due to illness, medications. adjustment to supply teachers or any changes of schedule.

My co-workers are different individuals everyday! In this case, I love working with new people and meeting new personalities where I can learn and grow from different people each and every day. I also love meeting new children everyday, but I must say the hardest part of the job is trying to get these children to become use to you for the day. Most of these children that need assistance have a hard to adjusting to change of teachers so their behavior is increased. The most enjoyable part of my day is seeing the smile on a child's face when I can make them smile!
Pros
long breaks
Cons
not knowing what school your travelling to

4.5