PEEL DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

A school district that serves approximately 155,000 students at more than 240 schools in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 30, 2016
I teach students in grades Kindergarten to Grade 6. I typically teach lesson plans that teachers have left for me but once in a while I am able to incorporate my own ideas and lessons into the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children and establishing relationships with children in classes that I teach on a regular basis. It is important to me to be able to have even a small impact on the children every single day. I also have great respect and admiration for all of the teachers and administrators who I meet at the different schools and I enjoy getting to know them and learning from them.
Pros
Excellent working environment and conditions.
Cons
Can be inconsistent work (i.e. not every day).
An occasional teacher is an enjoyable and rewarding career but not stable.
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peel, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I love being an occasional teacher because I enjoy teaching at the primary level. Children make me smile with the funniest and unexpected comments and behaviours. Classroom management is a must to set up properly at the beginning of your day or you are in for a rough day. It is a fun and rewarding career that fits into my busy lifestyle with two young children.
Pros
I can pick my own schedule.
Cons
The income is not stable.
Notes System Analyst
Notes System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 6, 2016
I have been involved with Lotus Notes since it was initially started at the board. I was responsible for migrating the board from MYRA mail to Notes. This system has expanded to 18,000 corporate users and 33,000 student users. I designed and implemented a customized login page to the Peel Broadcast page. I am also responsible for 150 school web sites using Quick Place as their web site tool. Some of the highlights of my duties in the Lotus Notes implementation and support are:
Software and Hardware Upgrades, creating customized databases, Palm and BlackBerry synchronization, digital sender, enhancements to email, performance and automating Notes Administrative Tasks.
Manage a team of three individuals to support our Lotus infrastructure (administration, development, server support).
productive and fun at workplace by reading books
Occasional Elementary Teacher (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 14, 2016
Work environment makes a huge difference in the work place .There will be so many ups and downs at the work places one should know how to come out of it and with patience.i have learned so many new things like patience ,value of time .management plays a big role in the work place ( + or - ).Hardest part is long lines in all the jobs to get into it .The most enjoyable part of my jobs to spend time with kids and new people .Ongoing learning and always positive for all the things
Pros
teaching methods
Cons
limited hours
A great place to work!
Grade 3 Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peel District School BoardApril 25, 2016
I am currently employed with the board and teach grade 3. I love working as a teacher and over the years, I have improved my practice through workshops, amazing colleagues and above all trial and error with students on a daily basis. Every child is unique, and I have learned how to best work with each individual student to meet thier individual needs. The best part of my job is seeing a student smile and satisfied with the outcome of thier hard work.
Pros
great people to learn and work with
It's the Education Sector
Office Assistant - Computer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 9, 2016
Working in a Secondary School, in the front office. Maintains, schedules and updates all student records and report cards. Verifies output and edits errors / conflicts. Contacts students / teachers / parents if necessary. Completes secretarial duties including typing / word processing, filing, activity bookings and photocopying. Performs communication duties including reception by phone or in person.
Great Workplace
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Derry West Village PSJanuary 30, 2016
The Peel District School Board was listed as one of the best employers to work for and I completely agree with the ranking. I have now worked as a DECE for the board for two years at two different schools and have always felt secure in my position. What I love about the board is the constant communication regarding learning opportunities such as workshops, modules, and other various programs that take place that aid in your professional growth.
The school I am currently working at holds some of the most personable and caring co-workers I have worked with to date.
A great opportunity
Casual Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 26, 2016
I really enjoy working for peel because I am able to work in the field and use my education to its fullest potential. thank you.
Pros
a job i enjoy
Cons
summers off
Lunch Monitor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 19, 2016
I enjoyed working with children and being of assistance for them.
The staff was friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed spending time with the children.
Great place to be in
Supply Lunch Room Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 31, 2016
.Great place to be in. Friendly environment. cooperative and supportive staff.
job work & life balance can be managed easily.
Want to move on.
IT PROJECT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 12, 2016
Used to be a good IT department. Not any more. Lot of Politics, nepotism. Want to move on. Work/Life balance is good. Not interested in writing more.
Great place
Supply Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Awesome place to work, learned new skills and worked alongside a fantastic supervisor. Management was great and an upbeat environment was always maintained.
An inclusive school environment
Educational Resource Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto CanadaSeptember 4, 2015
An organization that provides an inclusive setting for children within a stimulating environment set for learning. Professionals within the educational field are given opportunities to effectively guide and enhance learning by providing a safe and nurturing setting. Learning tools and material are provided to engage and promote academic results and success. Roles include but is not limited to observation and assessments recommendations and report writing. To support roles within the organization working with policies, families, communities and other professionals is essential for continual success.
Pros
Contiual learning
Cons
Not enough time in the day
Very energetic
Teacher's Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Sir Winston Churchill Public SchoolJanuary 13, 2016
The workplace was at a school. I worked with kids on their math and English and craft time. It was a job that kept you on your feet and was very lively.
productive and enjoyable work enviorment
Special Needs Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 15, 2015
its a great place to work with lots of room for movement. one must be dependable and well trained in order to ensure student supports and safety are meet.
Pros
off summers and winter break
Cons
being sick often
Summer Opportunity
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 24, 2015
It was a fun work place to handle younger children to help them grow as individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job is to understand different behaviours of kids and ensure everyone is happy with the decisions made as a camp leader. Other than being a seasonal work, no other cons for this job.
Work Environment
Budget - Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 26, 2015
I am very happy in my current employment, everyday is fulfilling.

I am very fortunate to work with many wonderful people and I get to interact with our students and parents in the community.

Every day is a different day, I have a variety of duties that it never has to be repetitive or boring.
Pros
Wonderful people at work and in the community
Overall it is a great place to work and gain my experience as a Social Worker
Educational Resource Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 18, 2012
Working as a causality with the Peel District School Board is great place to gain my experience as a Social Worker. I love working with the special need students and working with other staff as well. I am able to work one on one with the students to know their dislikes and likes, also teach the students to communicate by using the ipad or using sign language. My job is to the assist the teacher with every needs to be done that day. Depends on the student I may need to help feed or help assist student on washroom breaks. Every students is different therefore it makes my experience different as well.

The hardest part about this job is that not everyone's personalities fits with one another. If you can not get along with your staff it wont be a pleasant work environment for you to work in.

The most enjoyable part about this job is working with the students everyday is a different day no days are the same which I like. Also planing different trips for the students and planing different events at the school for the students to enjoy.
Pros
i can choose the days when i want to work, i get to go to different schools and meet different students and staff, im able to work along side with the teacher to help better the students and the classroom
Cons
no benefits because i am causality, not enough full time positions available, not always gauranteed a hours every week
Friendly envirorment
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 20, 2015
Great work place to be working in. Friendly staff members. Helpful co-workers and administrators. Good work hours. Working with students.
Pros
work hours
Cons
lack advancement opportunities
special needs
Educational Resource Facilitator (Current Employee) –  mississaugaNovember 6, 2013
At the end of each day there is a sense of reward. The smiles that welcome you each and everyday is in itself worth the job.
Pros
good hours
Cons
low salary

4.5