PCL Employee Reviews

A good experience to see how things operate in a different country.
Carpenter/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta9 February 2017
A typical day would mean arriving 45mins prior to work at 7am. Going through the days work with project management and supervisor.
Planning
Organizing
Delegating.
Safety being the highlight of any day with all our workforce going home safe and well. Carrying out all safety procedures.
Keeping workers motivated and keeping high quality finishes on all works carries out.
The most enjoyable part of the day would be to see the end product of works carried out done on the time scale given and everyone going home safe.
Pros
Meals brought to site on different occasions.
Cons
No company transport.
PCL working experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB19 December 2016
I have worked for them for several years and have found that at craft level the experience is varied but people help each other out. Field supervision to superintendent level skill seems to depend on the job from what I've worked with at this level about 50% have a good idea of how a job should be ran. The other 50% are clueless and get promoted to positions they should never be in, actually they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near construction. Engineering skills get worse as the years go by, the lack of practical training has led to some of the most ridiculous designs I have ever seen. Which seems to be a growing trait in western Canada. The company is usually reliable for work. Take this with a pinch of salt as experience varies from person to person.
Pros
Reliable for work
Cons
Inexperienced people in the wrong positions.
PCL has helped me grow and apply my skills throughout my time with them.
Systems Completion & Turnover Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 November 2016
I began with PCL as a pipefitter, and was immediately recognized by my supervisors as someone who could excel in the company with the assets I brought forth. I have enjoyed my time and value my new skills beyond measure.
very multicultral place to work in.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 October 2016
Shipping & receiving
• Verified proof of delivery of returned or damaged goods.
• Maintained the shipping area by insuring adequate inventory of shipping materials.
• Developed strong relationships with shipping companies.
• Operated warehouse equipment like fork lifts, hand trucks, dollies and pallet jacks.
• Ensured that shipments complied with transportation company guidelines.
Fort hills pcl
Ironworker/foreman (Current Employee) –  Fort mc murray21 September 2016
Great job lot of climbing
Lack of communication in between management
Like the upper management
Good safety culture they are proactive and safety guy are good
Pros
Flight allowence
Cons
Cutting flight allowence
american style
Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2016
big company, they have great facilities as well of tools and equipment
they offer good formation and training to their supervision
very great in planning and coordination
Great leadership, pleasure to work for!
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB15 August 2016
From start to finish its all about Safety, education from management to the crews. Great team environment. Excellent co-workers. This company recognizes and awards those with more work going from job to job.
pcl
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2016
good but bad. It can be very boring.The days are super long but the hours are convenient because of the 44 hour week. I enjoy the people here though.
Never go back
SURVEYOR/APPRENTICE CARPENTER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2016
Overly religious about safety, management isn't the least bit understanding, management has no concept about what really happens on the Job site and runs their mouth like they know everything, Completely hypocritical company. Good pay and benefits is the only positive thing I can say about my time here at PCL
We have a friendly environment in the site.
PIPE FITTING (Current Employee) –  RED WATER22 May 2016
Management give the priority for the safety. I have learned lots from co- workers and management. everybody is friendly and help each other. I like the companies safety beyond the zero policy.
Poor Management
Carpenter/ Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2016
Poor and inexperienced management making the company very hard to work for. Very repetitive belittling work. decent co-workers. Attitude of management towards employees is that you can easily be replaced.
benefits
Cons
poor work environment
Pretty good company to work for
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB19 April 2016
PCL was a good company to work for, seemed like they really cared about their emplolyees, and safety was high up the list for them
Productive Workplace
B Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB24 March 2016
excellent learning experience, great people, advancement within, easy to co-work, highly recommend for future and current work. great information and very informative web site.
active and very progressive
Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 March 2016
The company was very strict on making the project work and time wise it was very important to make the most out of employees times. you got overwhelmed with work sometimes and you needed a real break from the work. it was a busy environment with lots of work to be done.
Fly in camp job with excellent benefits
Site Administrator/ Document Control (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 March 2016
Work at PCL is rewarding in it's challenges and job satisfaction. Strong safety culture. Availability for long term employment and advancement. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
camp job
A Great learning experience.
Human Resources / Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 January 2016
I enjoyed my time with PCL. They are a well known construction company and a great company to work for. I learned everything from scaffolding to safety on construction sites. Management and co-workers are what made my experience out west great. They were kind, respectable, hard work people who only want to see you learn and grown within the company. The hardest part of the job was being away from my loved ones back in Toronto and the most enjoyable part was being part was meeting new people and learning everything i could.
Pros
Meeting new people, Working in all departments
Cons
Away from Home
work culture
.Net developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2015
It was deplorable. Didn't seem that way at first, but once things got started, it escalated very quickly. Extremely unprofessional and not worth anyone's time.
Pros
weekend gatherings
Cons
long work
Large Contractor
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2015
Very professional organization. Management identifies star employees and puts them in a position to succeed. Learned a lot about what goes into building a very large project
Pros
Large Projects, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
An experience I'm glad I took.
Senior Project Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2015
Fantastic company, fantastic treatment but fell short on the back up of work permit renewal. This was due to over employment of migrant temporary workers when projects fell through.
Pros
Great company and surroundings
Cons
There was no back up for workers on permits.
Great workplace, fun envoronment!
Tower Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2015
A challenging workplace as is to be expected when sitting in a crane two hundred and more feet up in the air but an environment that always has one on the edge of the seat and so very rewarding at the end of a safe day! PCL's management team is second to none, their dedication and support in whatever venue needed to employees is unquestioning!
Pros
A great work environment with lots of free perks as medical and dental and health care as needed!
Cons
Just long hours!