PCL Employee Reviews

Never go back
SURVEYOR/APPRENTICE CARPENTER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2016
Overly religious about safety, management isn't the least bit understanding, management has no concept about what really happens on the Job site and runs their mouth like they know everything, Completely hypocritical company. Good pay and benefits is the only positive thing I can say about my time here at PCL
Poor Management
Carpenter/ Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2016
Poor and inexperienced management making the company very hard to work for. Very repetitive belittling work. decent co-workers. Attitude of management towards employees is that you can easily be replaced.
benefits
Cons
poor work environment
Fly in camp job with excellent benefits
Site Administrator/ Document Control (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 March 2016
Work at PCL is rewarding in it's challenges and job satisfaction. Strong safety culture. Availability for long term employment and advancement. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
camp job
Fort hills pcl
Ironworker/foreman (Current Employee) –  Fort mc murray21 September 2016
Great job lot of climbing
Lack of communication in between management
Like the upper management
Good safety culture they are proactive and safety guy are good
Pros
Flight allowence
Cons
Cutting flight allowence
very multicultral place to work in.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 October 2016
Shipping & receiving
• Verified proof of delivery of returned or damaged goods.
• Maintained the shipping area by insuring adequate inventory of shipping materials.
• Developed strong relationships with shipping companies.
• Operated warehouse equipment like fork lifts, hand trucks, dollies and pallet jacks.
• Ensured that shipments complied with transportation company guidelines.
Great leadership, pleasure to work for!
General Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB15 August 2016
From start to finish its all about Safety, education from management to the crews. Great team environment. Excellent co-workers. This company recognizes and awards those with more work going from job to job.
american style
Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2016
big company, they have great facilities as well of tools and equipment
they offer good formation and training to their supervision
very great in planning and coordination
pcl
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2016
good but bad. It can be very boring.The days are super long but the hours are convenient because of the 44 hour week. I enjoy the people here though.
We have a friendly environment in the site.
PIPE FITTING (Current Employee) –  RED WATER22 May 2016
Management give the priority for the safety. I have learned lots from co- workers and management. everybody is friendly and help each other. I like the companies safety beyond the zero policy.
A Great learning experience.
Human Resources / Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 January 2016
I enjoyed my time with PCL. They are a well known construction company and a great company to work for. I learned everything from scaffolding to safety on construction sites. Management and co-workers are what made my experience out west great. They were kind, respectable, hard work people who only want to see you learn and grown within the company. The hardest part of the job was being away from my loved ones back in Toronto and the most enjoyable part was being part was meeting new people and learning everything i could.
Pros
Meeting new people, Working in all departments
Cons
Away from Home
Productive Workplace
B Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB24 March 2016
excellent learning experience, great people, advancement within, easy to co-work, highly recommend for future and current work. great information and very informative web site.
active and very progressive
Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 March 2016
The company was very strict on making the project work and time wise it was very important to make the most out of employees times. you got overwhelmed with work sometimes and you needed a real break from the work. it was a busy environment with lots of work to be done.
Pretty good company to work for
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB19 April 2016
PCL was a good company to work for, seemed like they really cared about their emplolyees, and safety was high up the list for them
Great workplace, fun envoronment!
Tower Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2015
A challenging workplace as is to be expected when sitting in a crane two hundred and more feet up in the air but an environment that always has one on the edge of the seat and so very rewarding at the end of a safe day! PCL's management team is second to none, their dedication and support in whatever venue needed to employees is unquestioning!
Pros
A great work environment with lots of free perks as medical and dental and health care as needed!
Cons
Just long hours!
Large Contractor
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2015
Very professional organization. Management identifies star employees and puts them in a position to succeed. Learned a lot about what goes into building a very large project
Pros
Large Projects, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
A company that gives u a chance to grow within the PCL family
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, Alberta24 November 2014
It is a good company to work for, very safety minded and puts safety first over anything else.
The first task in the morning is a safety talk and stretches followed by what you work load will be for the day.
start work
end day with another talk about how your day went, if everything was safe and if anything can be done safer.
The management is young and ambitious
Sometimes the hardest part of the job is getting clarification on what management wants done, it can take some time for answers.
the guys you work with are the most enjoyable part. I like meeting new people
Pros
Chance to climb into management
Cons
The travel to the camp location
work culture
.Net developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2015
It was deplorable. Didn't seem that way at first, but once things got started, it escalated very quickly. Extremely unprofessional and not worth anyone's time.
Pros
weekend gatherings
Cons
long work
The worst job I was ever on in 50+years in the trade
pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Vanscoy SK23 May 2014
The organization on the Agrium job was nonexistent. Pipe hung by chain falls and come a longs and cable lashings. There had to be $1mm being thrown out the window every day. Very difficult to look busy for 10 hours when you are not given anything to do.The only concern is safety, safety, safety, no production I hired on for new construction on the mill expansion and I was shuffled onto the shutdown crew for the Aug/13 shutdown. I have my doubts they made the dead line. How PCL became Canadas largest contractor baffles me.
Pros
The free 1/2 hour each way bus ride. Yeah right especially with no pay for your time
Cons
Poorest organization ever.
Great place to work.
Electrical Foreman/Electrical General Foreman (Former Employee) –  kearl lake, ab19 January 2015
My typical day would be meet with day supervision to see if anything needed to be worked on during nightshift. If not I would get the days work planned out for the Foremans. One of the hardest part was to do on site problem solving. Crews would sometime come across issues in their daily task where Foremans and myself had to come up with an effective and timely solution that would work. I enjoyed my job. I believe its was because of the good morals and respect we had for each other.
Pros
positive atmosphere
Cons
not full time
Has a great safety record.
Pipefitter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 June 2015
Safety is at the highest importance. Great communication from management to the workers. Never rushed work and found the safest way to do any task.