PCL Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An experience I'm glad I took.
Senior Project Surveyor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Great company and surroundings
Cons: There was no back up for workers on permits.
Fantastic company, fantastic treatment but fell short on the back up of work permit renewal. This was due to over employment of migrant temporary workers when projects fell through.
Great workplace, fun envoronment!
Tower Crane Operator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 28, 2015
Pros: A great work environment with lots of free perks as medical and dental and health care as needed!
Cons: Just long hours!
A challenging workplace as is to be expected when sitting in a crane two hundred and more feet up in the air but an environment that always has one on the edge of the seat and so very rewarding at the end of a safe day! PCL's management team is second to none, their dedication and support in whatever venue needed to employees is unquestioning!
Has a great safety record.
Pipefitter Foreman (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 18, 2015
Safety is at the highest importance. Great communication from management to the workers. Never rushed work and found the safest way to do any task.
overall pretty good site
Ironworker (Former Employee), Nisku, ABJune 2, 2015
Pros: good hrs
Cons: traffic
A work day would consist of putting in big mods & bolting up sometimes working with a welder some basic 1st year stuff

co workers were really good to me helped me out a lot showed me a few things

most hardest part was mostly the weather

most enjoy able part was i get to climb on the iron
ok camp work
Journeyman Scaffolder (Former Employee), albertaMay 14, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: participation in destruction of carib
Scaffolder in oil sands , location was a disgrace to Canadians. the air and grounds are being stripped of resources and massive damage to the environment.
Great co-workers
Zoom Boom operator (Former Employee), Vanscoy, SKApril 22, 2015
I really enjoyed the crew i was working with but always felt like the company it self couldn't care less about their workers
Good companyto work for
General Labourer (Former Employee), At Shell Scotford Site and Kearl LakeFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: clear expectations
Cons: long hours
PCL is rule orientated so you always know what to expect.
It would have been difficult for me to advance with PCL as I was under contract with the Labourer's Union Local 92
Productive and hard worker References of previous employment will say the same
Scaffolder (Former Employee), Vanscoy, SKFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: if theres lack of communiction.
Hard worker, non stop, Not afraid of heights, willing to take on any task. Open to learning and open to teaching. Work great in a team setting also able to work alone.
Great place to work.
Electrical Foreman/Electrical General Foreman (Former Employee), kearl lake, abJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: positive atmosphere
Cons: not full time
My typical day would be meet with day supervision to see if anything needed to be worked on during nightshift. If not I would get the days work planned out for the Foremans. One of the hardest part was to do on site problem solving. Crews would sometime come across issues in their daily task where Foremans and myself had to come up with an effective and timely solution that would work. I enjoyed my job. I believe its was because of the good morals and respect we had for each other.
A good place to work
Pipe Fitter (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJanuary 1, 2015
A good place to work if you like residential plumbing. The pay wasn't too good.
A company that gives u a chance to grow within the PCL family
Electrician (Former Employee), Kearl Lake, AlbertaNovember 24, 2014
Pros: chance to climb into management
Cons: the travel to the camp location
It is a good company to work for, very safety minded and puts safety first over anything else.
The first task in the morning is a safety talk and stretches followed by what you work load will be for the day.
start work
end day with another talk about how your day went, if everything was safe and if anything can be done safer.
The management is young and ambitious
Sometimes the hardest part of the job is getting clarification on what management wants done, it can take some time for answers.
the guys you work with are the most enjoyable part. I like meeting new people
fitting
Pipefitter (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKAugust 25, 2014
Blue print reading, crane signal man, rigging, working with HTP pipe,
punching lines, lead hand for small crew, fitting stainless and carbon
steel, oxy acetylene work.!
The worst job I was ever on in 50+years in the trade
pipefitter (Former Employee), Vanscoy SKMay 23, 2014
Pros: the free 1/2 hour each way bus ride. yeah right especially with no pay for your time
Cons: poorest organization ever.
The organization on the Agrium job was nonexistent. Pipe hung by chain falls and come a longs and cable lashings. There had to be $1mm being thrown out the window every day. Very difficult to look busy for 10 hours when you are not given anything to do.The only concern is safety, safety, safety, no production I hired on for new construction on the mill expansion and I was shuffled onto the shutdown crew for the Aug/13 shutdown. I have my doubts they made the dead line. How PCL became Canadas largest contractor baffles me.
Frustrating, poorly managed, "people come last" PCL
Pipefitter (Apprentice) 3rd (Current Employee), SKApril 23, 2014
The worst, most unorganized job to date. Poorly managed, where PCL is robbing the client blind. They are over-budget by $400 million now and everyone has been feeling the pressure of it all. 2 hours to work on the packed, supplied bus with no pay.
Very productive and fun workplace
FIRST YEAR CARPENTER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: learned so much more in the construction field, especially commercial construction
PCL was a great experience for me. I got the chance to b a lead hand and I started my Carpentry apprenticeship through the company. Unfortunately I was laid off in the big recession of 2009 and have been driving truck in the moving industry ever since
productive
Pipefitter (Current Employee), Fort Mackay, ABFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: long hour work
It is a good company, I like my job, I worked in daytime, I enjoyed working with others, I like the management, my job is somewhat a repetition from my previous company .....its all pipefitting...
They continually put a carrot on a string in front of their workers.
Labourer (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaOctober 16, 2013
They have never went through with any of the promises they have made me.
fun and quiet did alot of courses during work
janitor / people based safety. some small filling (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 11, 2013
Pros: long lunches
Cons: had to wear ppe
I enjoyed working there they were very leaned back and always had incentives for safe work . Cleaning and have to manage some office duties was also intresting and knowlageable
Fair company- flexible when I needed them to be
Carpenter (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: good pay for being in the trades
Cons: the odd foreman.
Like any construction outfit, every superintendent or foreman can be like working for a completely different company.
Dirty shop
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABNovember 10, 2012
Pros: in town
Cons: management
This is a dirty shop, management isn't very good. Don't expect to work there long