PCL Energy Employee Reviews

work was good
Journeyman Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  forthills14 November 2017
the work was good the management was horrible camp was was good flights were terrible travel sucked never on time managment write workers upm for petty stuff
positive
Night Shift Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 November 2017
great for employment opportunities and provide good communication between employers and workers. I have used this means to find employment successfully.
Good Pay, Bad environment
Electrical Foreman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2017
They pay well but don't value employees in the field, even after taking a white hat it is clear you are just a number, which is unfortunate. Most guys in the field are really good, extremely frustrating dealing with office staff.
never worked to hard
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Vanscoy, SK7 October 2017
great pay and awesome people to work with,management was also good to deal with,safety was always top priority.very relaxed pace of work and nobody in a hurry to get things done
Pros
good money and good people
Cons
boring at times
PCL Energy Ltd.
Instrumentation Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 October 2017
Had a very positive experience in the 5 months I worked there. Treated all workers very well. Management very organized and friendly. No complaints at all.
used to play table tennis during my off shifts
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 October 2017
the work is always hard as u now because it is scaffolding but our boss was the best guy on the planet because he use to call me even during my off days what i learned from there is to do hard work and respect each other
PCL Energy - Great Company!
NCCER Journeyman Pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Vanscoy, SK Canada30 September 2017
I have been Pipefitting for twelve years now and still consider my time working for PCL Energy as one of the best jobs I ever worked. The staff was professional and I had knowledgeable bosses that I will always remember. It's possible that not everyone had the same great experience that I did, but very truly it was one of my favorite jobs that I ever worked. Great bosses on the JV Vault Project!

Despite the safety record and what it may have looked like, this was also one of the very safest jobs I have been on. GREAT JOB SAFETY TEAM! It's too bad that every job was not ran more like the JV Vault project was.
Pros
Great Knowledgeable bosses, Great Safe job!
Cons
No cons, Just a great job.
Good company to work for
Pipefitter Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2017
Third project with PCL Energy.
They treat you fair. They keep you busy
Good supervision, open for questions and suggestions.
Always safe work environment, good team.
Great People
Red Seal Electrical Foreman (Current Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB21 September 2017
Everyone was good to work with. Every job has its whiners, but the majority of the Foremen, GFs, Super's etc seemed to genuinely care about their employees. Long hours and poor work/life balance due to this being a camp job, but otherwise enjoyable to work for.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
Camp
Not a great environment that I am trying to get away from.
Equipment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB7 September 2017
I really like the job but the management is all buddies and the wrong people are in high positions. I also personally am trying to find a job away from shift work.
Interesting work atmosphere
Welding Apprentice / Welding Tool Crib Attendant (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 August 2017
Not recommended for a family work life. good pay, good regular/OT hours. lots of trouble finding out work information, and lots of trouble trying to deal with pay issues. PCL is cheap and looks for every way out possible when they have problems
Pros
GoodPay
Cons
Horrible office managment. Disorganized
FEAST AND FAMIN work hard and you will be rewarded
journeyman structural welder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 August 2017
the nature of the beast, you work yourself out of a job on large projects, in exchange you receive top industry wages.
many people may complain but me personally, having an employer that wants you to take all the time required to get the job done right is unheard of.
but at pcl, that's the message we hear every day. it depends on your personality and what your working for, and what your trade is, but expect that no aspect of the job is to be done hap hazard, and expect to change some bad habits you didn't know you even had.
expect to work in the elements.
Safety is above all else and upper management strives for a reputable safety culture. but sometimes lower management (lead hands, formans) may sometimes misconstrue the term, safety culture. work place culture is the first place you start in order to effectively apply change.
what I mean by that is that sometimes lower management is under stress and push the harsher side of safety to enforce the rules which may stress some employees to the point where they second guess everything they do and have an accident.
Pros
top industry wages
Cons
being away from home
so exiting to work with Canadians and some other player in the field.
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon,Saskatchewan Ab Canada14 August 2017
Safety First is the best thing that i really like to work and do my job in pcl Energy.Safety Officers always there to guide and reminds all the workers.That is my first duty before I'll do my task.SAFETY FIRST till to the Last Hour of my tasked mostly...I've never felt any discriminating from my co-workers cause of my nationality.
Pros
Loa
Cons
8hours
Just a job
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB12 August 2017
Not a bad company to work for, they pay you well, good people to work with makes all the diffidence in a job , i would work for this company again...
pcl energy is good company to work with they give you a good opp
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vanscoy, SK21 May 2017
the work days are good i learned to work safe.learn to work work with other trades the management good the hardest part is getting a job
the most enjoyable part of the job is the pay and going home safe.
Pros
like free lunch
Cons
i like long hours
money was good everythimg else wasnt
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 April 2017
money was good management was horrible always being told that we were replaceable not a good atmosphere to work in told we didn't deserve coffee and took our coffee machines
good company
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2017
If your looking for a company to work with and grow with for the rest of your career , this is the company cause they will invest the time and money into there employees.
Pros
Foreman
Cons
away from home for long periods
pcl
Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 February 2017
it was a good company to work for. two weeks on, one week off. have to pay your own flights. Work mostly in northern Alberta
Line Technician, Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB4 January 2017
I worked with great colleagues. The camaraderie is exceptional in this company. I was indentured with them therefore I cannot truly compare with another company, but so far, I was very well treated.
Building canada
PIPEFITTER GENERAL FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  SASKATOON SK. CANADA15 December 2016
Made a lot of good friends while on the job. We accomplished alot while I was there and had a good time doing it. I hope to work for them again one day