PCL Construction Employee Reviews

paid well, but a prision in more ways than one
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB5 September 2016
the money was very good, but that's the price you pay with your soul and mental well being. other trades are lightning fast to rat you out at the slightest infraction, because they think it will curie them favor with the supervision. The supervision takes GREAT pride in writing people up, firing and blacklisting them as well... if you can get through all that and put up with the strictest safety culture in the industry... just don't break even the slightest rule... youll be fine. As long as they have work..
Pros
local work with good pay and benifits
Cons
Prision type atmosphere, Supervision leads by fear and intimidation, rather than intervention and coaching, they have a long black list of not for rehire
Challenging
Journeyman Electrician/Fill in Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
Working with and for PCL on several projects helped to get to the core of how the company actually worked. As a person on the tools I felt management listed quite well to the in regards to what the works had to say.
good place to work
general labourer trainee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 December 2016
worked as a general labourer for just over a year.
good work environment, good people, management was alright.
never had any problem with anyone. bad winter hours.
good camp
PIPEFITTER (Former Employee) –  surmount 26 October 2016
Great company to work for well organizes clean fun great food great people and transportation to job site every day great benefits and great union
Gteat company. Very family orintated.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB3 January 2017
I loved working for PCL . They are a great company. Lots of training and tonns of in house course's. They are very family orintated and treat you like a king. Wish I never left. Unfortunately some people in the company take advantage of some people that are lower in the totem pole and make them turn against people they love and respect. That's why I left.
great work environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2016
I enjoy this line of work. The location was great, wasn't too far from home. Enjoyed my co-workers and got along with upper management. I would definitely work here again.
Easy going, Professional, Prepared and Safety orientated.
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 November 2016
I Enjoyed my time at PCL. I met some fine people and I believe I left there a better person and also made positive impressions on many of my co-workers.
Pros
Safety and worker care was excellent.
Good companey
Red seal pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 January 2017
Good companey to work for usually has lots of work for my trade . Usually hire good and will trained people for the job at hand highly recommended by a lot of people
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Away from family
Great work place
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 December 2016
Great Company to work with, Met great friends and Mentors
A Long Happy Journey, a lot of transfers Calgary Toronto Ottawa
Bakersfield Ca, Seattle Wa. and Anchorage Ak

Hold 2 Passports Canadian And United States
Pros
Great time
Cons
40 hours
Cared about their employees, made extra efforts to keep everyone happy.
HSE Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 May 2016
Great atmosphere, positive outlook, hard working people. Management was hand on and was very involved with all staff members. success was always celebrated. Frequent employee events Great company to work for.
good paying company
Manoeuvre (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 February 2017
PCL was a good paying company but i had to work 14 days straight on the other side of the country. I liked my time over there but was too hard on my family and my dogs.
Fast paced company with great atmosphere
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Alberta/ Saskatechew8 September 2016
Ive been working for PCL since 2011, theyve put me through my apprenticeship, helped guide me along being the best carpenter i can be, providing me with many opportunities to grow in the company and teaching me lots of life lessons
Best company to work
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB5 November 2016
I worked with pcl as a pipefitter, I like it because they have a great standards in safety and work organizin, overall i like working there .i can confidently tell that anyone can work there if they know that they doing.
productive and fun work place
Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB1 November 2016
excellent work conditions, foremen are professional and always try help within a good team environment, tools are always in good shape and we have all we need to do the work.
A good project team will lead to a great experiance
Field Engineer/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2015
Good group of people to work with. Like most construction companies, the team on the project will determine your experiance with the company. Generally enjoyed everyone I worked with there. Be prepared for long hours if working on site. Lower salary base but share offers can more then make up for if with the company for long term.
Pros
Good people, shares
Cons
Lower Base Salary, Share offers on decline, long hours
Rewarding and productive work culture.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 May 2016
PCL was a fantastic place to work. The management was very supportive and understanding. They promoted a safe work environment and always had the workers best interest in mind.
Productive and fun compant to work for.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
B Pressure welding.Great coworkers and management staff to work with.Fun to be with every day.Left with some great life long friends.
Pros
Great coworkers and management to work with.
Cons
no cons
Fab shop/water treatment facility
3rd year pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB22 April 2016
A typical day on the job consisted of working with piping with diameters from 1/8" to 100" piping and fittings. There was alot of grinding,beveling, grooving, aerial platforms, confined spaces along with many other aspects of the trade, this is where I learned most of my knowledge in the steamfitting trade
My co-workers were the same guys I traveled to and from the site with and we were best of friends and usually had a fun and safe time on the job
The hardest part of the job had to be while we were laying all the infloor heating lines, there were thousands and thousands of feet of in floor heat in which we had to bend over or kneel in the re-bar.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you were going to enjoy yourself at work everyday, it made getting up and going to work alot easier
Pros
Good pay and good people
Cons
long travel to and from work
Great co-workers
Steamfitter-Rigger (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB6 February 2016
Every day I am working with friends and keeping busy. Being on the ground floor working on the tools it seems to provide me another view of the projects when comparing the trade worker to the management team. The hardest part of the day is putting pipe together which is a non stress-full environment. The best part was working with some very talented and friendly pipe fitters.
Pros
Stress free
Cons
camps have shared washrooms
Excellent workplace with very knowledgeable and helpful employees
Junior Estimator/Assistant Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 February 2015
Great everyday learning atmosphere with emphasis on achieving the most out of each employee. Good people who are dedicated to their work but still able to maintain an outside life. Great training programs and benefits. Very competitive environment with the ability for advancement.