PCL Construction Employee Reviews

Lovley
SKILLED LABORER (Former Employee) –  VANCOUVER, B.C.4 October 2017
It was awesome, I really loved working and definitly learning skills from the day started in construction with pcl was my first job, and they tought me very well.

Run Away
management (Former Employee) –  vancouver1 October 2017
Pros: Having PCL on your resume when you go and look for another job

Cons:
I worked in management for this company and left a long term government job to start with PCL. They are a tough company and don't pay very well, but they promised the moon, pay raises, advancement, etc, etc. They expect you to work 10+ hour days and constantly load you with heavy work loads. When it came time for a pay raise, they gave me a token amount which was a joke and the advancements never came, they just kept holding out the carrot for you to keep running after. The Christmas bonuses are a joke.

Its often said PCL means "People Come Last" and I would definitely agree with that statement. They really don't care how they treat people since they are Canada's largest contractor, people will always want to work for them.

After the second project I worked on came to a close I was laid off and I never looked back. Would I ever work there again? NO

Am I bitter, absolutely not, PCL taught me many things which I still feel were excellent in my future career. I would just caution any person taking a job there to get the employment conditions in writing that were discussed in your interview. If they don`t provide it in writing, send them a letter outlining the discussions. They have no issues with blatant lying

They talk a good game, but run away

I will also add that I left this review on another site and they asked me to write to them to discuss. I sent them a polite email to discuss to their requested address and never heard back from them. I followed up with a second email and again
  more... no reply. THIS JUST CONFIRMS THEY DON'T GIVE ONE IOTA ABOUT THEIR MANAGEMENT EMPLOYEES, HOW DO YOU THINK THEY FEEL ABOUT THEIR TRADESMEN AND WOMEN.  less
Pros
see above
Cons
see above
apprentice
Welder Helper, Bolt-up pipes (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB21 September 2017
employees were well taken care of. supplied the needs every season, accomodation was also fantastic. lots of work but workers are not being pushed for progress especially if ts winter. 10/10 would work with the company again
Able to commute home every night on bus
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Northwest Refineries, Redwater18 September 2017
PCL was a good company to work for at one time, but on this particular job, they did not have tools or material for the workers, which made for a stressful environment, forcing workers to appear to be productive when they were just walking around. Then the workers get blamed for non-productivity.
good group of people
Heavy Equipment Operator / Crane Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2017
good company out good safety background serious about there projects gave me a lot of learning experience with different cranes and equipment happy to be a part of the team
Good work environement
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB13 September 2017
Good company to work for. Good salary, good management. love working night shift with a great crew. Would recommend this company to anyone seeking employment
Fast paced, great people, and very ethical
Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
Fast paced, great people, and very ethical.If you are willing to put in the effort, you will be rewarded.....If your not willing to put in any effort, you can still manage to hold a position.
Pros
great people, great culture
Cons
lots of free hours to put in, over managed
It was good
Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 August 2017
Why am I submitting reviews on companies for indeed.com? I find it a waste of time. All I want to do is apply for jobs and not need to review past companies I have worked for.
Poor Company
Senior Superintendent / Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2017
PCL Management Inc is a poor company in the construction industry... They have become a corporation that has forgotten their roots... The last two CEO's just think about money and not the people. They do not care about their employee's
Pros
None Now
Cons
Too Political
Great work site with poisonous people.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2017
This is a review about one of the construction sites overseen by PCL.

Every day was a challenge and I loved it. I had the opportunity to learn from cross functions and really initiate about what I wanted to do.

However, this particular work site had poisonous people--people who were favored by upper management and can get away with anything including negative personality disorders, bad work habits, and unfair treatment of other people. If you're loved by upper management, you will go far in any work site based on their recommendation. If you are butting heads with one of those poisonous people, you will never advance despite how well you do your work.
great company to work for
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2017
I've worked for Pcl construction before on the airport tunnel. I was in charge of the hoarding crew and cleaning crew. Plus I also rigging underneath the tower cranes. Each guy that worked for PCL. didnt matter what colour of hard hat you wore, from labourers, carpentars, or foremans. they would be there to help you out if you were struggling with something.. We treated everybody like family.
Alright place to work
Journeyman Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 August 2017
Its a pretty good place to work.
I enjoy working with the people that are there.
Sometimes Management is butting heads with others (Day Shift vs Night Shift)
Great Company to work for if you like traveling
INDUSTRIAL PROJECT ENGINEER/COORDINATOR, E.I.T (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2017
great company. lots of traveling, they compensate well for traveling. Great co worker, good working environment. high pressure. good to learn. fast pace environment.
Great learning opportunity.
M&E Estimating Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2017
I worked as an estimating student. The people were great to be around. They were open and willing to teach. Getting a co-op here will teach you a lot about the construction industry. A good work ethic will go a long way here because in this industry everyone is chasing the next deadline.
Pros
Lots to learn, opportunity for advancement
Cons
No work life balance
poorly ran, bullying and worker harassment plainly visible each day
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 June 2017
Workers are threatened with losing they're jobs daily. Very poorly organized and managed. Bullying and worker harassment is plainly visible even when workers are told there is a zero tolerance policy in place against such things.
Pros
They always pay on time
Cons
poor treatment of workers
Official response from PCL Construction
17 July 2017

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your comments are very concerning to us because we do have zero tolerance for harassment at PCL, and all employees are required to adhere to our ethics policies and code of conduct. Please contact us via indeed@pcl.com so that we can get more information from you and investigate further.

Great company but no job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2017
active, busybut fun work day. treat employees well lots of perks. But you can be let go for no reason with no warning. doesn't matter if you have been with the company for 1 year or 35 years.
Pros
free cofee, food, gifts, events
Cons
layoffs very common
Great Company
Construction Materials Coordinator/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 May 2017
The company itself is great to work for. some management is tough to work for but overall the work life is pleasurable. Lots of benefits including profit sharing. Salaries are a bit low but manageable considering the dividends and bonuses you get.
Pros
profit Sharing
Cons
management
Great People and a Great Culture
HUMAN RESOURCES/PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 May 2017
A great employer that rewards hard-work and effort. A great place for high energy people to work! Management team is supportive and individuals have opportunity for growth.
Official response from PCL Construction
5 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We certainly appreciate the efforts that our employees put into making our projects a success.

Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2017
I enjoyed working for pcl. They get good jobs because they have good people working in there offices. I always look to see if they are hiring for any future jobs
Not super fun, wasn't valued as an employee
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT18 April 2017
They take desperate people and crank as much labour out of them as they can before they send them away.
Worked large hours and wasn't given much of an ability to learn, they made us apprentices because they could pay us less that way.
Cons
50-60 hours weekly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.