PCL Construction Employee Reviews

Able to commute home every night on bus
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Northwest Refineries, Redwater18 September 2017
PCL was a good company to work for at one time, but on this particular job, they did not have tools or material for the workers, which made for a stressful environment, forcing workers to appear to be productive when they were just walking around. Then the workers get blamed for non-productivity.
Good work environement
Steamfitter/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB13 September 2017
Good company to work for. Good salary, good management. love working night shift with a great crew. Would recommend this company to anyone seeking employment
Fast paced, great people, and very ethical
Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
Fast paced, great people, and very ethical.If you are willing to put in the effort, you will be rewarded.....If your not willing to put in any effort, you can still manage to hold a position.
Pros
great people, great culture
Cons
lots of free hours to put in, over managed
It was good
Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 August 2017
Why am I submitting reviews on companies for indeed.com? I find it a waste of time. All I want to do is apply for jobs and not need to review past companies I have worked for.
Poor Company
Senior Superintendent / Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2017
PCL Management Inc is a poor company in the construction industry... They have become a corporation that has forgotten their roots... The last two CEO's just think about money and not the people. They do not care about their employee's
Pros
None Now
Cons
Too Political
Great work site with poisonous people.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2017
This is a review about one of the construction sites overseen by PCL.

Every day was a challenge and I loved it. I had the opportunity to learn from cross functions and really initiate about what I wanted to do.

However, this particular work site had poisonous people--people who were favored by upper management and can get away with anything including negative personality disorders, bad work habits, and unfair treatment of other people. If you're loved by upper management, you will go far in any work site based on their recommendation. If you are butting heads with one of those poisonous people, you will never advance despite how well you do your work.
great company to work for
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2017
I've worked for Pcl construction before on the airport tunnel. I was in charge of the hoarding crew and cleaning crew. Plus I also rigging underneath the tower cranes. Each guy that worked for PCL. didnt matter what colour of hard hat you wore, from labourers, carpentars, or foremans. they would be there to help you out if you were struggling with something.. We treated everybody like family.
Great Company to work for if you like traveling
INDUSTRIAL PROJECT ENGINEER/COORDINATOR, E.I.T (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2017
great company. lots of traveling, they compensate well for traveling. Great co worker, good working environment. high pressure. good to learn. fast pace environment.
Great learning opportunity.
M&E Estimating Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2017
I worked as an estimating student. The people were great to be around. They were open and willing to teach. Getting a co-op here will teach you a lot about the construction industry. A good work ethic will go a long way here because in this industry everyone is chasing the next deadline.
Pros
Lots to learn, opportunity for advancement
Cons
No work life balance
poorly ran, bullying and worker harassment plainly visible each day
Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 June 2017
Workers are threatened with losing they're jobs daily. Very poorly organized and managed. Bullying and worker harassment is plainly visible even when workers are told there is a zero tolerance policy in place against such things.
Pros
They always pay on time
Cons
poor treatment of workers
Official response from PCL Construction
17 July 2017

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your comments are very concerning to us because we do have zero tolerance for harassment at PCL, and all employees are required to adhere to our ethics policies and code of conduct. Please contact us via indeed@pcl.com so that we can get more information from you and investigate further.

Great Company
Construction Materials Coordinator/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 May 2017
The company itself is great to work for. some management is tough to work for but overall the work life is pleasurable. Lots of benefits including profit sharing. Salaries are a bit low but manageable considering the dividends and bonuses you get.
Pros
profit Sharing
Cons
management
Great People and a Great Culture
HUMAN RESOURCES/PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 May 2017
A great employer that rewards hard-work and effort. A great place for high energy people to work! Management team is supportive and individuals have opportunity for growth.
Official response from PCL Construction
5 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We certainly appreciate the efforts that our employees put into making our projects a success.

Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2017
I enjoyed working for pcl. They get good jobs because they have good people working in there offices. I always look to see if they are hiring for any future jobs
Not super fun, wasn't valued as an employee
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT18 April 2017
They take desperate people and crank as much labour out of them as they can before they send them away.
Worked large hours and wasn't given much of an ability to learn, they made us apprentices because they could pay us less that way.
Cons
50-60 hours weekly
good
Field Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
can be long hours, and lots of work, can also be very rewarding and full of learning opritunity. Salary is average, bounus is optional based on performance.
Perfect Company to Work for
Project Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2017
Nice people
Professional workplace
lots of training materials
lots of training sessions and courses
very good compensation package
attractive environment
Good job
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
Worked here for 1 and half year had no complaints.they always stretched before work so no injuries occurred while lifting heavy items or turning your body awkwardly.
Pros
Money
Cons
Bosses
Pcl
ASP (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 March 2017
Great company to work for, management is very helpful and works on the front line with staff. Good communication and teamwork in all PCL enviroments. Definitely recommend this company to anyone in the Socal Service field.
Large Company
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 February 2017
The PCL companies are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for. They are recognized for career growth opportunities and a challenging and supportive work environment that promotes personal and professional growth. Whether you are new to the workforce, or an expert in your field, PCL has exciting opportunities waiting for you!
workplace
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB16 February 2017
I was a foreman for the ironworkers. typical day at work was very organized and safety focused. Workplace standards were met and men were happy about managements commitment, to a safe and healthy workplace environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.