PCL Construction Employee Reviews

Great People and a Great Culture
HUMAN RESOURCES/PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 May 2017
A great employer that rewards hard-work and effort. A great place for high energy people to work! Management team is supportive and individuals have opportunity for growth.
Official response from PCL Construction
5 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We certainly appreciate the efforts that our employees put into making our projects a success.

Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 April 2017
I enjoyed working for pcl. They get good jobs because they have good people working in there offices. I always look to see if they are hiring for any future jobs
Not super fun, wasn't valued as an employee
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT18 April 2017
They take desperate people and crank as much labour out of them as they can before they send them away.
Worked large hours and wasn't given much of an ability to learn, they made us apprentices because they could pay us less that way.
Cons
50-60 hours weekly
good
Field Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
can be long hours, and lots of work, can also be very rewarding and full of learning opritunity. Salary is average, bounus is optional based on performance.
Perfect Company to Work for
Project Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2017
Nice people
Professional workplace
lots of training materials
lots of training sessions and courses
very good compensation package
attractive environment
Good job
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
Worked here for 1 and half year had no complaints.they always stretched before work so no injuries occurred while lifting heavy items or turning your body awkwardly.
Pros
Money
Cons
Bosses
Pcl
ASP (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 March 2017
Great company to work for, management is very helpful and works on the front line with staff. Good communication and teamwork in all PCL enviroments. Definitely recommend this company to anyone in the Socal Service field.
Large Company
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 February 2017
The PCL companies are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for. They are recognized for career growth opportunities and a challenging and supportive work environment that promotes personal and professional growth. Whether you are new to the workforce, or an expert in your field, PCL has exciting opportunities waiting for you!
workplace
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB16 February 2017
I was a foreman for the ironworkers. typical day at work was very organized and safety focused. Workplace standards were met and men were happy about managements commitment, to a safe and healthy workplace environment
Good Company
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2017
Good Company with very good benefits. The people are very helpful and care about their employees at all levels of the organization.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Very clicky
A good experience to see how things operate in a different country.
Carpenter/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta9 February 2017
A typical day would mean arriving 45mins prior to work at 7am. Going through the days work with project management and supervisor.
Planning
Organizing
Delegating.
Safety being the highlight of any day with all our workforce going home safe and well. Carrying out all safety procedures.
Keeping workers motivated and keeping high quality finishes on all works carries out.
The most enjoyable part of the day would be to see the end product of works carried out done on the time scale given and everyone going home safe.
Pros
Meals brought to site on different occasions.
Cons
No company transport.
good paying company
Manoeuvre (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 February 2017
PCL was a good paying company but i had to work 14 days straight on the other side of the country. I liked my time over there but was too hard on my family and my dogs.
Challenging
Journeyman Electrician/Fill in Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
Working with and for PCL on several projects helped to get to the core of how the company actually worked. As a person on the tools I felt management listed quite well to the in regards to what the works had to say.
Good companey
Red seal pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 January 2017
Good companey to work for usually has lots of work for my trade . Usually hire good and will trained people for the job at hand highly recommended by a lot of people
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Away from family
Gteat company. Very family orintated.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB3 January 2017
I loved working for PCL . They are a great company. Lots of training and tonns of in house course's. They are very family orintated and treat you like a king. Wish I never left. Unfortunately some people in the company take advantage of some people that are lower in the totem pole and make them turn against people they love and respect. That's why I left.
PCL working experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB19 December 2016
I have worked for them for several years and have found that at craft level the experience is varied but people help each other out. Field supervision to superintendent level skill seems to depend on the job from what I've worked with at this level about 50% have a good idea of how a job should be ran. The other 50% are clueless and get promoted to positions they should never be in, actually they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near construction. Engineering skills get worse as the years go by, the lack of practical training has led to some of the most ridiculous designs I have ever seen. Which seems to be a growing trait in western Canada. The company is usually reliable for work. Take this with a pinch of salt as experience varies from person to person.
Pros
Reliable for work
Cons
Inexperienced people in the wrong positions.
Great work place
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 December 2016
Great Company to work with, Met great friends and Mentors
A Long Happy Journey, a lot of transfers Calgary Toronto Ottawa
Bakersfield Ca, Seattle Wa. and Anchorage Ak

Hold 2 Passports Canadian And United States
Pros
Great time
Cons
40 hours
good place to work
general labourer trainee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 December 2016
worked as a general labourer for just over a year.
good work environment, good people, management was alright.
never had any problem with anyone. bad winter hours.
Easy going, Professional, Prepared and Safety orientated.
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 November 2016
I Enjoyed my time at PCL. I met some fine people and I believe I left there a better person and also made positive impressions on many of my co-workers.
Pros
Safety and worker care was excellent.
Cons
PCL has helped me grow and apply my skills throughout my time with them.
Systems Completion & Turnover Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 November 2016
I began with PCL as a pipefitter, and was immediately recognized by my supervisors as someone who could excel in the company with the assets I brought forth. I have enjoyed my time and value my new skills beyond measure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PCL Construction. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval