PCL Construction, Inc. Employee Reviews

paid well, but a prision in more ways than one
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB5 September 2016
the money was very good, but that's the price you pay with your soul and mental well being. other trades are lightning fast to rat you out at the slightest infraction, because they think it will curie them favor with the supervision. The supervision takes GREAT pride in writing people up, firing and blacklisting them as well... if you can get through all that and put up with the strictest safety culture in the industry... just don't break even the slightest rule... youll be fine. As long as they have work..
Pros
local work with good pay and benifits
Cons
Prision type atmosphere, Supervision leads by fear and intimidation, rather than intervention and coaching, they have a long black list of not for rehire
Fast paced company with great atmosphere
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Alberta/ Saskatechew8 September 2016
Ive been working for PCL since 2011, theyve put me through my apprenticeship, helped guide me along being the best carpenter i can be, providing me with many opportunities to grow in the company and teaching me lots of life lessons
Best company to work
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB5 November 2016
I worked with pcl as a pipefitter, I like it because they have a great standards in safety and work organizin, overall i like working there .i can confidently tell that anyone can work there if they know that they doing.
productive and fun work place
Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Redwater, AB1 November 2016
excellent work conditions, foremen are professional and always try help within a good team environment, tools are always in good shape and we have all we need to do the work.
Cared about their employees, made extra efforts to keep everyone happy.
HSE Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 May 2016
Great atmosphere, positive outlook, hard working people. Management was hand on and was very involved with all staff members. success was always celebrated. Frequent employee events Great company to work for.
Fab shop/water treatment facility
3rd year pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB22 April 2016
A typical day on the job consisted of working with piping with diameters from 1/8" to 100" piping and fittings. There was alot of grinding,beveling, grooving, aerial platforms, confined spaces along with many other aspects of the trade, this is where I learned most of my knowledge in the steamfitting trade
My co-workers were the same guys I traveled to and from the site with and we were best of friends and usually had a fun and safe time on the job
The hardest part of the job had to be while we were laying all the infloor heating lines, there were thousands and thousands of feet of in floor heat in which we had to bend over or kneel in the re-bar.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you were going to enjoy yourself at work everyday, it made getting up and going to work alot easier
Pros
Good pay and good people
Cons
long travel to and from work
great work environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2016
I enjoy this line of work. The location was great, wasn't too far from home. Enjoyed my co-workers and got along with upper management. I would definitely work here again.
good camp
PIPEFITTER (Former Employee) –  surmount 26 October 2016
Great company to work for well organizes clean fun great food great people and transportation to job site every day great benefits and great union
Great Job
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2016
This job was great. Nothing bad to say at all.
I learned how the construction business worked.
I met new people. Having a good job that you like doesn't come around often for a lot of people. This job was good.
Pros
Free lunches Great pay. Flexible with my schedule. being outside.
Cons
Working alone on saturdays
Learned a lot
Apprentice Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2016
I started my apprenticeship with PCL and I have to say I was nervous when i first started. They were very accommodating and eased me into my new role. Overall it was a great experience as I learned a lot.
Productive and fun compant to work for.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
B Pressure welding.Great coworkers and management staff to work with.Fun to be with every day.Left with some great life long friends.
Pros
Great coworkers and management to work with.
Cons
no cons
Rewarding and productive work culture.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 May 2016
PCL was a fantastic place to work. The management was very supportive and understanding. They promoted a safe work environment and always had the workers best interest in mind.
Great co-workers
Steamfitter-Rigger (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB6 February 2016
Every day I am working with friends and keeping busy. Being on the ground floor working on the tools it seems to provide me another view of the projects when comparing the trade worker to the management team. The hardest part of the day is putting pipe together which is a non stress-full environment. The best part was working with some very talented and friendly pipe fitters.
Pros
Stress free
Cons
camps have shared washrooms
Good place to work and the staff were friendly.
Scaff (Former Employee) –  Ontario1 March 2016
I enjoyed my work experience here and I really enjoyed the staff, the supervisors were really nice and I was able to use my past work experience and also gain more experience as well.
Pros
Positive work environment.
Cons
Away from home.
Supportive and fun place to work
Virtual Construction Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2016
I found the company very welcoming and supportive when I spent a student summer work term there. Everyone was very friendly. I was treated with respect and given work that I found meaningful and interesting.
A good project team will lead to a great experiance
Field Engineer/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2015
Good group of people to work with. Like most construction companies, the team on the project will determine your experiance with the company. Generally enjoyed everyone I worked with there. Be prepared for long hours if working on site. Lower salary base but share offers can more then make up for if with the company for long term.
Pros
Good people, shares
Cons
Lower Base Salary, Share offers on decline, long hours
litttle experience with the foreman hired for the Johnson St bridge project.
Concrete labourer (Former Employee) –  Johnson St Bridge9 January 2016
Went on medical leave and came back to work after 2 mths, to work one week and get laid off. I had an emergency surgery for an off site incident. I would not work for this company.
Pros
Safety is better than most sites
Cons
Not much for safety incentives
A place where your a number not a worker.
Cement Finisher/Journeyman Laborer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 October 2015
Unfortunately they make it clear at the start that your just a number. Management isn't all bad but if you get hurt for any reason you better be there the next day because you'll have your layoff slip quickly after no matter what. The wages are fair i will say that much since if your in the field you'll be paid union rates. If your a labourer you'll more than likely be looked down on by many of the carpenters. I wouldn't advise working for this company.
Fair employer
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 January 2016
PCL does expect a lot from its employees. They are a fair employer who do expect you to accept overtime when it is offered. They stick to rules are safety conscious, and reward hard work.
productive and great people to work with
First Year Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  nisku PCL mud yard13 October 2015
Good atmosphere to work ,great people.The drive long but worth it knowing coming home to your own bed. Journeymen where great to work and learn from. very laid back and respectful people. Leadership was on point and very straight forward.
Pros
people
Cons
long drive