PCL Construction, Inc.

PCL Construction, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Cared about their employees, made extra efforts to keep everyone happy.
HSE Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 30, 2016
Great atmosphere, positive outlook, hard working people. Management was hand on and was very involved with all staff members. success was always celebrated. Frequent employee events Great company to work for.
Rewarding and productive work culture.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 20, 2016
PCL was a fantastic place to work. The management was very supportive and understanding. They promoted a safe work environment and always had the workers best interest in mind.
Productive and fun compant to work for.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
B Pressure welding.Great coworkers and management staff to work with.Fun to be with every day.Left with some great life long friends.
Pros
Great coworkers and management to work with.
Cons
no cons
Fab shop/water treatment facility
3rd year pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, ABApril 22, 2016
A typical day on the job consisted of working with piping with diameters from 1/8" to 100" piping and fittings. There was alot of grinding,beveling, grooving, aerial platforms, confined spaces along with many other aspects of the trade, this is where I learned most of my knowledge in the steamfitting trade
My co-workers were the same guys I traveled to and from the site with and we were best of friends and usually had a fun and safe time on the job
The hardest part of the job had to be while we were laying all the infloor heating lines, there were thousands and thousands of feet of in floor heat in which we had to bend over or kneel in the re-bar.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you were going to enjoy yourself at work everyday, it made getting up and going to work alot easier
Pros
Good pay and good people
Cons
long travel to and from work
Great Job
Flagger (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 19, 2016
This job was great. Nothing bad to say at all.
I learned how the construction business worked.
I met new people. Having a good job that you like doesn't come around often for a lot of people. This job was good.
Pros
Free lunches Great pay. Flexible with my schedule. being outside.
Cons
Working alone on saturdays
Supportive and fun place to work
Virtual Construction Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 2, 2016
I found the company very welcoming and supportive when I spent a student summer work term there. Everyone was very friendly. I was treated with respect and given work that I found meaningful and interesting.
Good place to work and the staff were friendly.
Scaff (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 1, 2016
I enjoyed my work experience here and I really enjoyed the staff, the supervisors were really nice and I was able to use my past work experience and also gain more experience as well.
Pros
Positive work environment.
Cons
Away from home.
Great co-workers
Steamfitter-Rigger (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, ABFebruary 6, 2016
Every day I am working with friends and keeping busy. Being on the ground floor working on the tools it seems to provide me another view of the projects when comparing the trade worker to the management team. The hardest part of the day is putting pipe together which is a non stress-full environment. The best part was working with some very talented and friendly pipe fitters.
Pros
Stress free
Cons
camps have shared washrooms
Fair employer
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2016
PCL does expect a lot from its employees. They are a fair employer who do expect you to accept overtime when it is offered. They stick to rules are safety conscious, and reward hard work.
litttle experience with the foreman hired for the Johnson St bridge project.
Concrete labourer (Former Employee) –  Johnson St BridgeJanuary 9, 2016
Went on medical leave and came back to work after 2 mths, to work one week and get laid off. I had an emergency surgery for an off site incident. I would not work for this company.
Pros
Safety is better than most sites
Cons
Not much for safety incentives
Normal work for construction, division between foremen and management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 16, 2015
I worked as a laborer for PCL for a little over a month before being laid off. That's where job security came as a 1 star.

A normal day was always unpredictable. You show up for work and try and find where your foreman was for 20 minutes since they never said where to meet, you'd be given a very vague job such as "Clean this floor" while working around 5 different trades on that floor and needing to ask every person whether or not they're using something. Asking for clarification usually wouldn't get much of an answer other than a couple of grunts and a figure point at "That that and that" and then have the foreman run off to go somewhere.

This was due to the fact that the foremen were ran ragged with their own issues from the people who told them what to do. So there was plenty of issues for everyone no matter how long they'd been there for.

I learned plenty of things when it came to construction, once you start working things are normal because you just do what you're told to the best of your ability and things work just fine even if it wasn't exactly what your foreman grunted about.

My coworkers were always good, I never had issues with anyone I worked alongside and they were more than willing to help with some green thumb like me asking dumb questions, this was probably the best part of the job since everyone was willing to help instead of being some elitist jerk that scoffs at someone who doesn't know what they don't know.

The hardest part of the job was the fact that the jobs were generally redundant. "Move this from here to here for 2 hours." "Okay now
  more... move it back because someone said they didn't want it there" "Okay now go do this.." etc..
It made for long days because you didn't feel like you were really needed or appreciated or anything so spending a full 9 hour day doing nothing but energy and time uselessly makes you just want to go home more than normal job because at least when you're doing something productive towards the construction of the building you know it matters.

PCL as a company is alright, their safety standards are good and from my experience everyone tried their best. But there was just communication issues that made things really drag and slow down that need to be resolved from those up top.
Pros
Good workers, decent wage (19.70 for a no experience laborer)
Cons
Communication issues, pointless work, feelings of being unnecessary
A good project team will lead to a great experiance
Field Engineer/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 15, 2015
Good group of people to work with. Like most construction companies, the team on the project will determine your experiance with the company. Generally enjoyed everyone I worked with there. Be prepared for long hours if working on site. Lower salary base but share offers can more then make up for if with the company for long term.
Pros
Good people, shares
Cons
Lower Base Salary, Share offers on decline, long hours
Clear guidelines and rules
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCNovember 28, 2015
This company has very well laid out guidelines and processes dealing with an individuals job requirements and expectations.
Amazing work environment
Engineer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 23, 2015
The most enjoyable part was to be able to work on a 1 Billion dollar project my first year with PCL. Big company and a lot of great benefits for employees. Enjoyed working apart of a great team and learned many new things.
nice company
Millwright (Former Employee) –  vanscoy skOctober 22, 2015
pay was great and lots of time off.
no problem booking vacations they were easy going.
they have a positive work enviornment
Pros
money
Cons
tools
A place where your a number not a worker.
Cement Finisher/Journeyman Laborer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 21, 2015
Unfortunately they make it clear at the start that your just a number. Management isn't all bad but if you get hurt for any reason you better be there the next day because you'll have your layoff slip quickly after no matter what. The wages are fair i will say that much since if your in the field you'll be paid union rates. If your a labourer you'll more than likely be looked down on by many of the carpenters. I wouldn't advise working for this company.
productive and great people to work with
First Year Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  nisku PCL mud yardOctober 13, 2015
Good atmosphere to work ,great people.The drive long but worth it knowing coming home to your own bed. Journeymen where great to work and learn from. very laid back and respectful people. Leadership was on point and very straight forward.
Pros
people
Cons
long drive
Continued education and learning
HSE & Field Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 15, 2015
Good experience, fast paced working environment.
Enjoyed working with a diverse number of people and coordinating events.
Pros
Continued education, great benefits
No collaboration
Executive Assistant / Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2015
PCL did not promote from within. The job you started with was typically the job you stayed at.

The lack of leadership and collaboration was frustrating.

The one saving grace was the learning opportunities at the PCL University.
Pros
PCL University
Cons
Negativity
Helpful and awesome coworkers.
Junior Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 20, 2015
It was really nice. People there were awesome and very helpful. I mainly reported back to the product owner of the software i worked on. We did some design for a new feature and got feedback as to how it should be interacted with. Management were awesome in terms of help and pushing me to go forward and encouraging me.
Pros
free gym

PCL Construction, Inc. Reviews by Location