PCL Builders Inc Employee Reviews

Banff Gondala
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2017
Once in a lifetime opportunity with great pay and great accommodations. Limited carpentry work resulting in more labor work. Great scenery and atmosphere.
Pros
pay
Cons
limited formwork
has its ups and downs.
Apprentice Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2017
every jobsite is a new start, while you may exell on one site when you are transferred you start back at the bottom. there are many good people in management as well as the general workers. if they had more work I would deffinetly stick around.
Pros
high in safety, all ppe is provided. good managment.
Cons
not much overtime
Productive fun environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB23 December 2016
Very organized friendly environment lots of training and very safe environment safety is very important and lots of paperwork to go with it .they really care about there employees and help with career building . There union was exceptional very helpful .overall amazing experience
Pros
Saftey awards every three months
Cons
There really isn't any
Generally great place to be employed.
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
Working there was great with the exception of one specific foreman that was not very professional and made working there a genuinely miserable experience. There is certainly such a thing as constructive feedback, and that involves both building people's qualities up, and making them aware of areas of improvement. To have one without the other certainly feels like abuse. That being said, as I had said, with the exception of that one specific foreman, over all, it is a delightful place to be employed.
Pros
Great wages, good benefits package, approachable management
Cons
Large scale projects that take many employees, and then no work so many people get layed off.
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2016
Good place to work at, great co-workers to work with, time off wasn't an issue to have off for appointments and such. I would recommend PCL to others
millwrights
millwright (Former Employee) –  vanscoy sk3 September 2015
All superintendants cannot do the 100 yard dash (30 metre)without getting lost. Most forman can just do the 100 yard dash (30 metre ) without getting lost.
Pros
not worth it
Cons
lots.
fun job great employees
Apprentice Tower Crane Operator/Rigger (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 June 2015
co workers are great here lots of fun to work with.
most injoyable part of the job would be the end resalt of a project and new skills learned along the way.
Great Group of People!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta2 April 2014
Great Team! Everyone is very helpful and fun to work with. I enjoy coming into work every day! Lots of support and encouragement while learning new tasks and processes. Great balance, able to work hard but still have fun and enjoy the day!
Pros
Good Hours, Great group of people, easy to get along with everyone
Highly Recommended!!!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 April 2014
PCL is a great company to work for; they are as loyal to you as you are to them. They offer great benefits that cover almost anything and they contribute to everyone's long-term savings. My coworkers are more like a family who has respect for each other and every year we get together for a great employee appreciation party. My Manager is straight to the point so you always know where you stand, extremely understanding, and gives his team time to take care of their family responsibilities. I wish there was better communication within the company so everyone was always on the same page, but if you ask the right questions, you can get there. I am very grateful to have had a career with PCL for almost 8 years and I look forward to retiring with this company.
Pros
Training, Benefits, Work/Life Balance, Career Reviews, Safety Orientated
Cons
Need More Communication
Good pay, Some good people, Manage people poorly
Carpenter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 February 2014
This is a good paying employer while the work is there. They are good at training people but don't seem to have a plan for when things slow down. They expect employees to remain loyal even though they don't have work for them.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor people skill
No opportunity for advancement, not impresed
mechanic (Current Employee) –  nisku16 January 2014
Working for PBI/ resources you feel like your the scrum of the earth, where PCL social events are concerned your not invited, common sense is out the window and if they can they will screw you over, you are a number and they want it all and give nothing in return, clac is an employers union so don't expect anything from them
Pros
very safety orienated
Cons
no social events, no common sense, no help from management
They'll tell you one thing and then do another
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton27 November 2013
I got hired by these guys for work in town, then as I left the orientation(which was long and unpaid) they said they didn't have anything for me. Couple days later I get a call for a job 100km out of town. Not a live out job, but a daily commute! They offered 50 bucks a week for gas, which doesn't help to much when you drive a full sized truck as well as they wouldn't pay travel time. I called to discuss this but they wouldn't even answer the phone! So I left a message describing how that was not our initial agreement, and I will not drive 200 km a day for work. The field manager called me and bullied me and made it seem like it was me that was flaking out. I stood up to him and told him that was not our agreement. He got angry and hung up the phone. Don't work for these guys, they are scabs.
Pros
They have a union side that is probably good to work for
Cons
Their field manager is a jerk; This side of PCL is scabs
hardly any people skill
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 May 2013
You are only a number.
No pride and honor.
No comunication between worker and Management.
Pros
Co-workers.
Cons
Mangaement, Field Personnel Coordinator
Excellent
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2013
Good environment, Safety oriented, opportunity for advancement, recieved two journeyman tickets, good benefits, all round good company.
Pros
opportunities to advance if you work hard