Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

Good Starter Job
Part Time Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2018
This company gives you the tools to become a successful worker. The training structure is on point and everything is laid out by shift so you don't feel like you are being thrown into chaos right away. You are required to do a little bit of everything on a daily basis (customer service, promo tagging, shipment, cash register) It's a good thing to have experience in all of these areas if you want to move on to another retail profession.
Pros
training program, scheduling flexibility, associate discounts
Cons
outdated technology, repetitive tasks
Uplifting& relaxed environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC5 February 2018
Out of all the places i’ve worked for, Payless shoes is BY FAR the best place I have ever worked.
Relaxed environment, lots of benefits & discounts, competitive but in a fun way!!
The company overall is a very giving company, for example with damaged shoes we send them to a factory to fix and then they are shipped to third world countries for free! another reason why i love payless.
Being a college student, they’re super flexible with my schooling (like extremely flexible), customers are great, and my co workers are amazing.
I’ve been here for 1 year, and I can’t imagine myself quitting anytime soonn!!
Pros
Uplifting, Flexible Hours, Great Management
Cons
Short shifts
Great!
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON2 February 2018
Working in a retail business helped me gain experience on how to properly deal with the public. The management was excellent and my co workers were great to work with as a team.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2018
Working at this place gives a lot of customer service experience but never give any pay raise, doesn't matter how hard you work. The whole team works together to drive profitable results.
Happy Employee
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2018
I've only been working at Payless for about a month but it's definitely a great place to advance for students and professionals alike. Great opportunity to move further and good encouragement from my team at Gerrard Square.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Warm and enjoyable environment to work
Assistant Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB14 January 2018
Good place to work, gain lots of skills to sell, suggest merchandise , tell promotions , also i started as a part timer and did all the CBL's and ascend as an assistant in the company
A Friendly and Insightful work experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 December 2017
I've enjoyed working here; it's not my dream job but it's been pleasant for what it's worth. My coworkers and I get along and my managers have been agreeable and understanding. There can be some inconsistency and lack of communication among management but it hasn't been a hinderance to our work ethic or routine for the most part. I don't exactly agree with the company's security and loss prevention protocol either; it is very easy for customers to walk out with our products undetected and shoplifting is inevitable, even with multiple people on the floor. Like every job in the service industry you'll run into some pretty lousy customers, but every now and then you'll find yourself working with some folks who are an absolute delight to be serving. There is almost no existing toxicity in our work environment and I haven't felt the desire to resign, which I find in and of itself to be a blessing.
Fun place
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 December 2017
Good company to work for. coworkers are very nice and friendly, easy to get along with. Managers and district managers are very nice and understanding. Only downside was working three hours a day, so pay checks weren't as exciting as they should be.
Pros
fun, always busy
Cons
short hours, staying till midnight for audits
It's retail
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC12 December 2017
Fulltime is reserved only for management positions - otherwise you're restricted to part time. Or, if you're working fulltime hours to fill in for people, you are still listed as part time so they don't have to give you benefits or a raise. Upper management rarely communicates with each other, which means you get promised one thing and then told it didn't go through, or you're constantly confused as to what's expected of you when they come to visit. You're expected to find people to cover for you when you call in sick.
Otherwise it's pretty standard retail. I am not cut out for that much human interaction in a day so I was miserable but it's not a super terrible starting job. It's almost impossible to get fired.
Pros
Relaxed Environment
Cons
KPI Focused
It's great if you want part time.
Assistant Store Leader (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 December 2017
If you're looking for a full-time job, you won't get a true one at this company unless you work at a high volume store. Minimum hours for full-time is 32.

Management varies by store, some are good, some like to play by their own rules.

If you're a lower volume store you get less hours, which makes it difficult to balance customers and tasks sometimes. Especially when they want both to be perfectly done.

One of the hardest parts of the job is trying to meet sales goals when the traffic in your location is lower then normal and you get constant reminders that you need to be on top off everyone, to the point of being one of those "annoying pushy sales people". There is also minimal security in stores, so they rely on the staff to be watching everyone which isn't always the easiest thing to do.

When you have a good team around you, the job can be enjoyable.

I've learned that just because someone tells you, you can't/shouldn't do something it doesn't mean they are right. There is always someone else you can talk to.
Pros
Schedules are generally flexible
Cons
Hours, Management
rewarding place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  wilson and jane27 November 2017
Working at payless was an opportunity I am grateful to have had as it provided me the opportunity to learn and grow in the field of customer service and management.
Full Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 November 2017
Always a pleasure working for this company. At times it gets stressful with not enough staff. Overall great people and great company. Would definitely recommend someone to apply for this job.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Hours
Great Company to work for
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 November 2017
I fully enjoyed my employment at Payless shoes, the customers were amazing, the staff were like family and loved going into work each shift. Unfortunaly there was no full-time positions nor do they offer them.
Pros
Work environment and the customers
Cons
not enough hours
Fun Work Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2017
Would be a great 1st job! Very good training. Easy & SImple.
Great people, would recommend to students or anyone needing flexibility in their work life.
Pros
Good Discount & Flexible
Great Company to build a career
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 October 2017
- Terrific company for development opportunities.
- Company will make the investment in top talent.
- Adequate pay
- Senior Leadership is very strong
Was just a job, not a career
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
Working here was alright for a starting job, hours were nice, they valued their employees and rewarded them when they saw you were doing good at your job. Overall if you show your management you want more from this job it can be a good a career. The most enjoyable part of the job was the SHOES.
Pros
Shoes
Cons
Part time hours
Not a good place
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2017
Not a good environment to work in. Managers talk down to you like you're an animal. And the amount of work you do is not worth the pay and how management treats you. For people in Toronto I suggest not apply for the one in dufferin mall and cedabrae mall.
Great of work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2017
I learned customer service a lot, also it will help me building me problem-solving skill stronger which is the unique experience and gains my Canadian work experience as well.
not too good
Key holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 September 2017
I couldn't say what it is like to work there now. However, three years ago, the working experience there have been somewhat disappointing.

There were times when the hours that you have worked will be cut and they can get away with not paying you if you do not pay attention to your pay stub.

They required you stay extra hours without pay. The old district manager was also slightly creepy with female workers. You also have to expect creepy old men making creepy advances on you while working in this location.

Overall, it has not been great. I hope it got better.
Pros
had a great manager
Cons
not being paid for what you worked for
Great Team atmosphere
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
Great group of people to work with, lots of support when needed by peers, fun environment, great discounts and contests, fun styles for the whole family
Pros
The team atmosphere, great employee discounts
Cons
Heavy physical workload, long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.

51K