Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB26 June 2017
Not a bad place to work but definitely not a place that I would stay long term, they expect way too much from you and you do not get treated with respect.
Fun environment, Challenging
Sales Associate - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
A very nice place to meet people, attend to their needs and help them make choices. The opportunity to handle different kinds of people improves skills at customer management and it helps learn a lot.
Pros
High Energy
Cons
Nothing So Far
Very Structured
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
I have spent most my Canadian life with this company. The benefits are good. The management is okay as well. They put a high standard to employees that is sometimes un achievable with the hours given.
Amazing work environment with friendly staff
Customer service, cashier, taking inventory (Current Employee) –  Carrefour Angrignon8 June 2017
Payless ShoeSource has consistenly exceeded my expectations about the professional work environment. The management team is well equipped and enthusiastic, and willing to creatively solve any issues that may arise.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling
Cons
Customers can be difficult
would not work there again even for double the pay
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2017
the company treats its employees horribly. the technology provided is still from 1980. the manager i had practically pushed every staff member that she didn't like for personal reasons out the door. constantly understaffed.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2017
it was fantastic experience working here .every was a new day with a new faces around. happy feeling always .great management.
it was great feeling when someone comes to you and leaves the store with a happy face.
Pros
discounts on footware
Cons
no fixed schedual
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC30 May 2017
Good place to better your skills in customer service. Learn how to make sales. Good starting job or part time. Hard to move up in a company like this.
Pros
good experience
Cons
no place for growth
Flexible hours, wonderful coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON25 May 2017
Fun environment, easy pace. In this job you are able to help people of all ages find comfortable shoes. This is important for everyone!
Employee discount is great oo.
Low pay and mixed hours
Employee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 May 2017
I enjoyed my co-workers and manager a lot, they were the only thing that made my job at payless bearable.
The benefits were good (but not available to most employees) everything else about the company and job I strongly disliked.
Even at "full time" they can give you only 24 hours/week.
Cons
Low pay, mixed and unpredictable hours.
Fun Co Workers, Not so fun Management
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 May 2017
A typical day at work includes helping customers, keeping the store tidy and the shoes looking nice, filling up shelves, tagging boxes and putting out shipment. Usually you work with one or two other people. The work day depends on who you are working with. It can be a fun, productive day, or it can be an "I just want to go home" day. But like most things, you do get what you put in.

I have learned a lot about fashion and about shoes (of course) in this job. I've learned how to persuade customers, tricks of the trade on selling, patience (like in any retail job) and how to work both alone and in a team.

Management can be good or bad depending on who you have as a manager, but I'll be blunt and say that it can be a mess. Hours aren't great and I have found that the higher ups (Higher up than manager/Assistant manager) do not care about the associates. Sales associates get no benefits and no sympathy so if you're looking for a job with good security do not take this one. If you want overtime you won't get it. You want stat pay? Better work the previous bunch of weeks. Specifically the day that stat lands on. (ex. thanksgiving on a monday? You have to had worked the last bunch of mondays in a row to get the pay for that if you work that stat. And good luck with that.)

Hardest part of the job is putting up with awful customers or awful co workers/bosses. I have been lucky to work with an awesome team but of course every now and then the... not awesome person will come in.
Most enjoyable part goes with this. Working with your team can be a lot of fun. So don't get too
  more... discouraged at first. Give it a chance!  less
Pros
great co workers
Cons
bad company management, bad hours, bad pay
no raise
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 May 2017
bad pay more work... no hours....
managers just sit at the back room doing nothing all the time
work for 5 hours on your feet and not even a 10 mins break
Pros
30 percent discount
Cons
bad pay
service
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2017
Have very good customer service. They are very organized and always have a new trend coming in. Payless is one store that always treats there customers with respect.
Great company to be a part of!
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON19 April 2017
Payless is/was an incredible place to work as a student! Management is excellent and I was blessed with excellent coworkers! Overall, the company is great, very well put together and professional! Great place to start out in to gain retail experience! Fair heads up: you will need to have very good people skills and be willing and able to work with children!
Pros
Flexible, great mall!
Fun Place to get into
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 April 2017
Working at payless has a little of everything, from helping with customers, learning till like exchanges and payments, doing payroll and making sure the store looks presentable. Makes the day even better when you have great people you work with.
professional people! best coaching!
Store Leader(manager) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 March 2017
just started working there and love it! new challenge! new demands and needs!
best place to start your career to be the best!
new things to discover!
need to focus more on co workers to increase the income and productivity!
Cons
challenging bur productive with the wonderful co workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingsway, Vancouver24 March 2017
The hardest part of the job is the long hour of standing. Plus there are difficult customers sometimes. but I like the manager she is very supportive.
Pros
Salary Bonus, and good pay
Cons
longs hours
productive and fun place to work.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 March 2017
Great workplace environment.
Friendly coworkers.
I enjoy helping customers. that is the best part of the job for me.
Everyday at work I learn new things.
S'occuper des clients
Vendeuse (Former Employee) –  Saint-Eustache, QC19 February 2017
Saluer tous les clients qui entrent dans le magasin, les servir jusqu'à ce qu'ils soient satisfaits.
Learning experience.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 February 2017
It was a great place to work, I learned a lot of new things. My boss was an awesome leader. I had a wonderful experience learning about the shoe industry. The hardest part was getting the shoes in order on the shelves.
productive
Part time associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 February 2017
Must be able to stand for long periods of time and improvise on what shoes and where to place them. The training is rather tiring but it is a wonderful job to meet new customers and people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.