Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

Learning experience.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC16 February 2017
It was a great place to work, I learned a lot of new things. My boss was an awesome leader. I had a wonderful experience learning about the shoe industry. The hardest part was getting the shoes in order on the shelves.
productive
Part time associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 February 2017
Must be able to stand for long periods of time and improvise on what shoes and where to place them. The training is rather tiring but it is a wonderful job to meet new customers and people
Poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB2 February 2017
Good work environment
Nice coworkers
Poor Management
Lack of Training
Work schedule inconsistent and very often switched around to fit managers wants/needs
- Expect to be asked to cover shifts very often
- Expect any of your complaints or constructive criticism opinions made, to have little to 0 effectiveness
Pros
Co-workers, Employee Discount
Cons
Manager, Schedule, Training
Customer Service Specialist
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2017
Helping customer all the time, doing stock, most of the time doing stuff on your own. overall good. management is changing all the time which is difficult to adjust to.
Pros
flexible environment
Cons
Short hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 January 2017
Well organized place. Enjoyed being there. Learnt many experiences, such as cashier, selling items. The management was very organized, had schedules done a week before. The workplace culture was very welcoming and loving, all cared for each other and showed each other what to improve on and how we could improve. The most enjoyable part was being able to satisfy the customers needs and they leaving the store with the desired needs.
Pros
hours
payless
Store Clerk-Frontdesk-Sales (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK20 January 2017
payless was good my coworkers were great the costumers were awesome I never had a problem with anyone stealing while I was on shift but my manager barb was not qualified or mature enough to be a manager it was a job I would of loved to stay at but shes was un bearable one of my coworkers brook showed me everything she did every thing there. but great place maybe need to pick there management better
Pros
working in shoe store
Cons
manager
Great people, not enough hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2017
A typical day at Payless would be greeting customers, measuring children's feet, suggesting styles and finding different sizes and options for clients. Management is very kind and flexible generally with things like holidays and availability, but the high amount of workers means it's almost guaranteed that you won't have more than 15 hours per week.
Pros
Chill work environment, fun coworkers
Cons
Few hours, hard to move up
Fun and fast-paced environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 January 2017
Payless allowed me to showcase my excellent conversation and sales skills while still maintaining and fun and friendly environment. Everyday was a new and exciting challenge.
Fun workplace with emphasis on new employee training.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON9 January 2017
Emphasis on servicing the customers and opportunities to learn sales techniques and service requirments. Fantastic computer training and classroom management based training.

The hardest part of the job is to create room for seasonal product change.Numerous locations resulted in facilities remaining the same with out upgrades and renovations hurting the attraction of new customers.

This company trusted me and ensured I was exposed to areas important for measuring business metrics and being able to address Retail business shortfalls. It emphasized the roles and requirements of a successful Retailer.
Fun
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 January 2017
It was good overall, never really ran into any issues while working here. Very chill environment. Management was well. got the chance to work full time here, and enjoyed every moment
Enjoyable place to work
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2017
I love working here, the customers, location and management are beyond my expectations. The only complaint I have is that Key-holders make the same as other associates even though there is a large difference in expectations and responsibilities.
People oriented environment
Retail Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 January 2017
Typical day at Payless Shoesource starts with greeting customers and assisting customers to help them find the best fit shoe that they are looking for. One of the biggest achievements I made at Payless Shoesource was I successfully increased the sales target of 24 transactions during the promotional event in one hour period. The management was well organized, everyday as a team we would come of with innovative and effective ways to promote the mission and values of Payless Shoesource that help increase the sales target as well. I learned how to do inventory audits in a professional manner. The most enjoyable part at work was helping customers and making them feel satisfied.
Pros
Learned alot about management
Cons
Keeping up with sales target
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Payless is a great place for high school students. It's a job where you don't get much hours or none at all. Needs lots of improvement on the shoe boxes, how do the expected to fit big boxes on a small rack. But overall my coworkers were great manager is now a good friend of minds. Communication for the most part was good!!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Slow.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
The work itself is ok but how the management in the higher levels works is slow and counterproductive in allot of cases. Its also nearly impossible to advance in the company.
Casual, relaxed environment
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 January 2017
This is a wonderful, relaxed place to work.
Here, I learned about the importance of the customer journey; how important is to truly listen to the client to help them find what they're looking for. My highlight is having the opportunity to serve customers in as many different languages as possible.
Pros
Relaxed and enjoyable
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive and good employees
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC29 December 2016
• Being customer service oriented and setting up displays while doing task and having a positive team attitude.
• Responsible 3rd key holder
Pros
working as a team
Cons
competitive for no reason
The customers were nice, the discount was helpful. The co-workers were easy to get along with. The return policy is fantastic (which is nice because t
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time. With a long term committment and strong work ethic you can earn bonuses if your store performs well, and pay raises yearly.
Pros
I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time
Very good experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
- A typical day at work would be helping out customers when they needed it.
I learned how to become more interactive with people when I worked at Payless.
Pros
Very nice people
Cons
Grumpy constumers
fun if you love shoes
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 November 2016
Not enough full time position and no room to move up. The only thing i can say is that they have great benefits and great staff. The only bad thing i can say is people didn't respect the store, so you'll always find shoes throughout the aisle an missing shoes.
Pros
discount on shoes
Cons
mall hours
Very unsafe workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
After working for this company in various roles in many different stores I would tell perspective employees to look elsewhere for work. After half of our store was forced to relinquish our fulltime position or be fired, we were then treated as though we were useless, worthless and easily replaceable. Even though all of us at this particular location were very long standing staff members, it appears that higher management would much rather train new-comers than keep and advance "senior" employees.
Threats made towards employees or an assault situation are not taken seriously by head office. Most of the days are spent alone in a free-standing store[meaning not in mall] and at one point (in an effort to cut hours even more) district managers suggested closing the stores with 1 employee. If our manager had been stupid enough to impliment this it would have left us alone and defenceless openly handling cash after sundown. Employee safety and security is of VERY low importance!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
UNSAFE work environment