Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun and upbeat workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford, BCJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be cleaning the store, welcoming customers, cleaning and tagging shoes, tidying displays, organizing displays, putting up displays, and pairing shoes together. I learned valuable organization skills, time management skills, and the importance of reliability. The management was very accommodating and did an excellent job at working around my school life. My coworkers were very helpful while I was working there. The hardest part of the job was the physical demands, standing on my feet for 8 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smile on a customers face when I was able to help them find the shoe they were looking for, quickly and efficiently.
Pros
I aquired volunteer hours
Cons
No benefits
Opportunity to advance, great benifits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OrangevilleMay 20, 2015
Typical day would include - opening store, cash count, greeting customers, explaining promos, working through new hire work books, training, inventory scanning, product placement, shelf displays, talking about promotions with customers, assisting with sizing for children and adults.
I learned many different customer services skills, organization skills, and training methods for new and existing staff.
Management was always able to help you move up in the company and encouraged staff to apply for opening positions.
Co-workers were hard working and motivated.
Hardest part of the job was keeping up with demand for new products and keeping up with busy months when short staffed.
Most enjoyable was the customer interaction as well as the close friendships developed between staff.
Pros
Incentive Program - Great Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, Always Short Staffed
organization, communication, challenging
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 21, 2016
A day at work includes running and organizing shipment, ensuring the store is at its best and of course we have enough product to sell on the floor. Also ensuring the store is kept clean and everything is where it belongs. Dealing with customers and helping them find what they need as quickly and efficiently as possible. I have learnt to be patient and how to deal with many different ages from children to the elderly that require extra attention. Also I have improved on my cash handling skills and multi-tasking. This is important because you could be helping up to multiple families, and 5 to 10 people at the same time as well finishing your daily duties. Management is great always on top of everything and understanding of the needs of their employees. The team I work with is amazing, they always are will to assist you when you are leading the store to obtain the days sales goals. The hardest part of the job is to ensure that everyone who comes leaves satisfied. Which sometimes may not be the case and that can be challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job is when someone leaves satisfied with your customer service skills and returns to purchase more product.
Pros
friendly staff, understanding
Cons
People leaving angry when you've tried your best the help them
Payless ShoeSource Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONJune 20, 2016
A typical work day consists of assisting customers, stocking shelves, and cleaning the sales floor.
I continue to learn different customer service skills and others, such as, managing store duties (opening and closing).
Management and my co-workers are friendly and always bring a positive attitude to the work environment.
The hardest part of my job is not being able to fully satisfy customers, when we are sold out of their sizes or fail to carry certain products. The most enjoyable part would being able to work with my co-workers and selling the product.
Overall fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
Working at Payless has been a wonderful experience for me. I learned what it was like to work retail and gained sales experience. My day would consist of communicating with customers with different needs and I would cater to their needs with the best of my ability. My co-workers were amazing, outgoing and very friendly with one another. We were able to exchange shifts when needed, and would send each other work schedules so we all knew our timings for the week. The most enjoyable part of job was getting together with managers after closing, to look at our sales of the day and being recognized for doing a great job after a long days shift. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who were not able to find what they were looking for. Although, I would always do my best to find alternatives for them which resulted in a more positive outcome.
Pros
Friendly and outgoing coworkers
Cons
Shifts and hours were not consistent
opened store, did schedules, stock, conference calls, delegated , traveled for meetings, making sure we make target
Assistant Mgr (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSNovember 8, 2015
I loved working at Payless. I had a great team and we all worked well together. Our team was based on a customer based experience. Management was supportive in a way that a family is , its our home away from home, My job taught me how to manage and multitask, but always making sure the customer comes first and leaves happy. If they leave happy then they will come back thats how you keep a company going strong. Sadly I had to move and give up my position.
Pros
The experience, and travel for conferences, hotel, meals, gas
Cons
I loved my job
It was a productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 20, 2016
-A typical day at work would be ringing up sales.
-What I learned was how to organize merchandise by looking at their codes.
-I loved my coworkers they were very friendly and cooperative.
-The hardest part of the job was probably the heavy lifting.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was coming in to work because I really loved the experience and the work atmosphere.
Pros
-Free lucnhes
Cons
-There were no cons
Fast paced and fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 15, 2016
A typical day started with me checking the entire store, making shure everything is where it should be, opening, cleaning, getting ready for the day, the environment was great, I loved all my co-workers, as a manager you have to balance paper work, stock, and give great customer service, The hardest part of the job was, only when stock was delayed, made it hard when we did not have what our customers wanted, I loved my coworkers and the stores music, it made you happy.
Pros
Great discounts
Great place to work, no advancement opportunities
Sales Associate/Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 19, 2016
A lot of Payless stores were letting go many employees, I looked for another career as this was happening. It was a great place to work, met lots of people enjoyed sales, was good at it, loved the marketing aspect. Unfortunate the pay would never increase.
Great Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2016
I love working there as the team is filled with great people and we work well together. I want to stay there but I went to school so I could find a career and there for this is why I will be leaving here only when I have a career.
Lots of hours
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 25, 2016
Good place to work if you like long shifts and heavy work loads.
Co-workers are friendly and nice make shifts more enjoyable.
Managers, do little to no work on the sales floor.
Ability to multitask is highly important as you will be constantly interrupted or taken away from your task by customers demanding your assistance.
Pros
Free snacks sometimes
Cons
Rude customers
Amazing workplace with great co-workers!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NLFebruary 28, 2016
A typical day at Payless consists of vamping - which is making sure the stock that people buy is in the right place, looking neat and tidy - cleaning, dusting, customer service, using communication skills, using the cash, making calls to customers or answering the phone, and basically having fun. I've never had a job that was more enjoyable than Payless.

I learned how things work in a huge chain store such as this one, where shipments don't always come in even though you need them, and sometimes when you get them, it isn't what the store needs. I learned that there are different words for the same jobs in different companies - for example, vamping is called zoning in Walmart. And I also learned that co-workers are everything when it comes to having an enjoyable work place.

Management was amazing here, and you could get no better. They made sure everything was suitable for you as well as the store, and always took into consideration any obstacles that you needed to overcome.

Co-workers were the absolute best. Like I said above, they are everything when it comes to an enjoyable work place. Being able to connect and become friends with your co-workers is a great feeling.

The hardest part of the job is probably not being able to find what a customer wants. You feel disappointed in yourself because you weren't able to complete your job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making the sale and getting the points up for the store, but also knowing you did your job extremely well.
Pros
Discounts, Co-workers, Small workplace
Cons
Lack of hours
Great place to work if...
Sales Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Payless is a great place to work if you have managers that actually want to work. I've been an employer here for just under two years and I must say that the appreciation i get from the customers are great, however if I got the same appreciation from my management team, I'd never leave. This place has taught me some teamwork skills that I will cherish. Some good, some bad, but in the end that is life! I'd say the hardest part of the job would be getting motivation from the management to actually love what you do, rather than just pushing you to get things done. The most enjoyable part about Payless is my co-workers and learning from them.
Pros
Cheap shoes
Cons
Not much effort from management
A very warm work environment with fun-loving people,Happy selling shoes
Assistant Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Windsor, OntarioMarch 10, 2015
A typical day at work started with me signing in the system at the back office; checking the communications from the head office, sales performance of my associate and that day's target sales. Then I would give a round in the store to see how my merchandises are displayed and give a break to the associate.Take care of the sales floor till the associate is back. Then we used to do the next task to be completed;either filling or shipment or any management or training job. End of the store hours, closing the Point Of Sales and computer after calculation and locking the store.So i have pretty much learned all skills required in a retail environment. My co-workers were fun-loving and hard working,so it was never tiring being long hours in the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the customers. Different people different personalities with different needs,and making most of them happy used to make me love this job more.
Pros
quick career growth if sincere and hard working
Cons
too often promotion change
sucks
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Not enough growth management don't care about managers and less support from head office don't work here no pay rise

other shoe company will treat you better i don't recommend
It's a great place to work.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 1, 2016
● Organized shoe racks.
● Directed customers to the racks and suggested items.
● Multi-tasked to balance customer service and maintained the store.
● Always served customers with a smile.
confined space, multiple tasks that needed to be done, friendly staff
salesperson (Former Employee) –  785, Milner Avenue, Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
It was a good introduction to the workforce and my first job. I learned fast, and it had mostly slow days, there was always something to do, and I wouldn't have to work hard to find a duty on the job.
Fun and challenging
Practical Tasks/Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 7, 2016
The company is competitive and it is great for those that are looking to be competitive, that was the hardest but most exciting part!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Co-workers not teaming up
productive
Cashier/keyholder (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 28, 2016
constant smiles and honesty is key to customers happiness,with happiness builds success.
a happy customer/client is a happy worker.
Pros
smile leader
Cons
wish i could of advanced fulltime
fun to go to work
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMay 26, 2016
Stock was always prep and organized and ready to be put away, and the atmosphere was always relaxed but steady. The most enjoyable part was being able to organize the stock.