Payless ShoeSource

Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

People oriented environment
Retail Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 January 2017
Typical day at Payless Shoesource starts with greeting customers and assisting customers to help them find the best fit shoe that they are looking for. One of the biggest achievements I made at Payless Shoesource was I successfully increased the sales target of 24 transactions during the promotional event in one hour period. The management was well organized, everyday as a team we would come of with innovative and effective ways to promote the mission and values of Payless Shoesource that help increase the sales target as well. I learned how to do inventory audits in a professional manner. The most enjoyable part at work was helping customers and making them feel satisfied.
Pros
Learned alot about management
Cons
Keeping up with sales target
Very unsafe workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
After working for this company in various roles in many different stores I would tell perspective employees to look elsewhere for work. After half of our store was forced to relinquish our fulltime position or be fired, we were then treated as though we were useless, worthless and easily replaceable. Even though all of us at this particular location were very long standing staff members, it appears that higher management would much rather train new-comers than keep and advance "senior" employees.
Threats made towards employees or an assault situation are not taken seriously by head office. Most of the days are spent alone in a free-standing store[meaning not in mall] and at one point (in an effort to cut hours even more) district managers suggested closing the stores with 1 employee. If our manager had been stupid enough to impliment this it would have left us alone and defenceless openly handling cash after sundown. Employee safety and security is of VERY low importance!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
UNSAFE work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 January 2017
Well organized place. Enjoyed being there. Learnt many experiences, such as cashier, selling items. The management was very organized, had schedules done a week before. The workplace culture was very welcoming and loving, all cared for each other and showed each other what to improve on and how we could improve. The most enjoyable part was being able to satisfy the customers needs and they leaving the store with the desired needs.
Pros
hours
The customers were nice, the discount was helpful. The co-workers were easy to get along with. The return policy is fantastic (which is nice because t
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time. With a long term committment and strong work ethic you can earn bonuses if your store performs well, and pay raises yearly.
Pros
I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time
Fun workplace with emphasis on new employee training.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON9 January 2017
Emphasis on servicing the customers and opportunities to learn sales techniques and service requirments. Fantastic computer training and classroom management based training.

The hardest part of the job is to create room for seasonal product change.Numerous locations resulted in facilities remaining the same with out upgrades and renovations hurting the attraction of new customers.

This company trusted me and ensured I was exposed to areas important for measuring business metrics and being able to address Retail business shortfalls. It emphasized the roles and requirements of a successful Retailer.
Great people, not enough hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 January 2017
A typical day at Payless would be greeting customers, measuring children's feet, suggesting styles and finding different sizes and options for clients. Management is very kind and flexible generally with things like holidays and availability, but the high amount of workers means it's almost guaranteed that you won't have more than 15 hours per week.
Pros
Chill work environment, fun coworkers
Cons
Few hours, hard to move up
payless
Store Clerk-Frontdesk-Sales (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK20 January 2017
payless was good my coworkers were great the costumers were awesome I never had a problem with anyone stealing while I was on shift but my manager barb was not qualified or mature enough to be a manager it was a job I would of loved to stay at but shes was un bearable one of my coworkers brook showed me everything she did every thing there. but great place maybe need to pick there management better
Pros
working in shoe store
Cons
manager
Poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB2 February 2017
Good work environment
Nice coworkers
Poor Management
Lack of Training
Work schedule inconsistent and very often switched around to fit managers wants/needs
- Expect to be asked to cover shifts very often
- Expect any of your complaints or constructive criticism opinions made, to have little to 0 effectiveness
Pros
Co-workers, Employee Discount
Cons
Manager, Schedule, Training
Customer Service Specialist
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2017
Helping customer all the time, doing stock, most of the time doing stuff on your own. overall good. management is changing all the time which is difficult to adjust to.
Pros
flexible environment
Cons
Short hours
Enjoyable place to work
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 January 2017
I love working here, the customers, location and management are beyond my expectations. The only complaint I have is that Key-holders make the same as other associates even though there is a large difference in expectations and responsibilities.
fun if you love shoes
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 November 2016
Not enough full time position and no room to move up. The only thing i can say is that they have great benefits and great staff. The only bad thing i can say is people didn't respect the store, so you'll always find shoes throughout the aisle an missing shoes.
Pros
discount on shoes
Cons
mall hours
Good environment...lots of work!
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 October 2016
This job is definitely for someone who enjoys organization, as someone who does enjoy this it works well for me. However, there are certain aspects that I do not enjoy. You must be able to lift heavy boxes, as well as be able to use a ladder everyday and lift boxes of shoes over your head and onto the top racks. This can become challenging and sometimes they do fall, so patience is key as well. Although I do enjoy the atmosphere because everyone is like one big family and we tend to get along very well, the job itself is not one of my favourites. Would definitely recommend it to someone who, once again, is VERY organized and enjoys constantly picking up garbage after customers, as well as making sure the store is constantly clean.
Pros
the people
Cons
goes by slow
Productive and good employees
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC29 December 2016
• Being customer service oriented and setting up displays while doing task and having a positive team attitude.
• Responsible 3rd key holder
Pros
working as a team
Cons
competitive for no reason
Slow.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
The work itself is ok but how the management in the higher levels works is slow and counterproductive in allot of cases. Its also nearly impossible to advance in the company.
Fun
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 January 2017
It was good overall, never really ran into any issues while working here. Very chill environment. Management was well. got the chance to work full time here, and enjoyed every moment
Fun Work Place
Key Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 September 2016
Great place to work! Learned a lot about retain from working there. Co workers were amazing management for the most part were great! My group leader was understanding and hard working
Pros
Paless rewards
Cons
My manager was bad
Payless ShoeSource Review
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON20 June 2016
A typical work day consists of assisting customers, stocking shelves, and cleaning the sales floor.
I continue to learn different customer service skills and others, such as, managing store duties (opening and closing).
Management and my co-workers are friendly and always bring a positive attitude to the work environment.
The hardest part of my job is not being able to fully satisfy customers, when we are sold out of their sizes or fail to carry certain products. The most enjoyable part would being able to work with my co-workers and selling the product.
Had nice experience, learned a lot at my first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 August 2016
it was a great place to work with nice management. Colleagues were really helpful. it wasn't really hard job. i enjoyed my time and most awesome part was dealing with customers.
great working environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2016
Fast paced working environment with lots of tasking. I've learned to be a leader and to motivate my team. The management staff are amazing and are always there to provide assistance. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to identify customers needs and providing assistance.
Fun and upbeat workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford, BC16 January 2016
A typical day at work would be cleaning the store, welcoming customers, cleaning and tagging shoes, tidying displays, organizing displays, putting up displays, and pairing shoes together. I learned valuable organization skills, time management skills, and the importance of reliability. The management was very accommodating and did an excellent job at working around my school life. My coworkers were very helpful while I was working there. The hardest part of the job was the physical demands, standing on my feet for 8 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smile on a customers face when I was able to help them find the shoe they were looking for, quickly and efficiently.
Pros
I aquired volunteer hours
Cons
No benefits