Payless ShoeSource Employee Reviews

Was just a job, not a career
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
Working here was alright for a starting job, hours were nice, they valued their employees and rewarded them when they saw you were doing good at your job. Overall if you show your management you want more from this job it can be a good a career. The most enjoyable part of the job was the SHOES.
Pros
Shoes
Cons
Part time hours
Not a good place
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2017
Not a good environment to work in. Managers talk down to you like you're an animal. And the amount of work you do is not worth the pay and how management treats you. For people in Toronto I suggest not apply for the one in dufferin mall and cedabrae mall.
Great of work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2017
I learned customer service a lot, also it will help me building me problem-solving skill stronger which is the unique experience and gains my Canadian work experience as well.
not too good
Key holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 September 2017
I couldn't say what it is like to work there now. However, three years ago, the working experience there have been somewhat disappointing.

There were times when the hours that you have worked will be cut and they can get away with not paying you if you do not pay attention to your pay stub.

They required you stay extra hours without pay. The old district manager was also slightly creepy with female workers. You also have to expect creepy old men making creepy advances on you while working in this location.

Overall, it has not been great. I hope it got better.
Pros
had a great manager
Cons
not being paid for what you worked for
Great Team atmosphere
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
Great group of people to work with, lots of support when needed by peers, fun environment, great discounts and contests, fun styles for the whole family
Pros
The team atmosphere, great employee discounts
Cons
Heavy physical workload, long hours
Adaptable work enviroment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2017
Overall I'd say I quite enjoyed my couple years working with Payless. The workload is more than manageable, and scheduling is usually flexible. Just like any other workplace it definitely had its challenges.
Easy job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2017
NO security. Management is okay. Salary/wage is very low. a typical day at work consists of fixing shoes, doing shipment, garbage, sweeping floors, etc.
Pros
easy job
Cons
no security.
not suitable
Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 September 2017
Not sure who would be the best person for the job or who would want it but is not one I would recommend. The y are not very organized and have issues from the ground up.
Fun workplace and my coworkers are nice
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 September 2017
co workers are nice and the workplace is a safe and fun environment. good place to work if you're just looking for a part time job and is currently studying
Good experiene
Sales Associate, exceled in customer service (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 August 2017
An amazing workplace experience. Learned a lot of new things that would benefit me at any part time job position. Great workplace environment always uplifting and positive.
payless
Supervisor/temporary manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 August 2017
The store I worked at was in Bayers Lake which is now shut down. Unfortunately when I worked there the manager was stealing from the company and trying to cover it up. She was caught and fired and made working there difficult.
Alright
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON15 August 2017
Working for Payless was exceptional however there is not much room for growth. A typical day is helping customers find what they're looking for and suggesting the correct accessory to compliment it. Encourages up selling but does not offer commission.
Review Of Payless
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 August 2017
Working at Payless was definitely a great first job for me and a great opportunity. I learned a lot in my time their that can benefit me in the future. It was my first experience of how to interact with customers and how to resolve issues. I will forever carry out that knowledge and apply it to all my future jobs.
Great work environment
SHOE FASHIONISTA & CASHIER (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 August 2017
Payless is a great place to work if you like interacting with customers. Hours are minimal and short 4 hr shifts but otherwise a great place to work. A typical day includes cash, and cross selling to the customer. Assisting the customer with shoes and feet measurements and putting out weekly shipment of inventory and price changes. Answering the telephone, processing sales and promoting sales events within the company.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Not enough hours
Major Drama and 30% off Over Priced Shoes.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 July 2017
The drama that goes on there is ridiculous, customer service is terrible. Employees would rather talk about other employees and about how they hate the job rather than help customers. You always have to keep one eye open and watch your back, lots of drama BECAREFUL!!!
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Hours not as promised and get cut often
never coming back to this company
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 July 2017
management was lazy, and in my store there would usually be two people on shift. so sometimes it was me and the manager. I would have to handle the store while who knows what the manager was doing in the backroom. customers are very rude and take advantage of the return policy. very negative vibes. store was completely unorganized as well.
shoe store with complicated and not so efficient upper management
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2017
payless is keen on doing a job well done, even though it does not have the proper motivators or tools to help employees do so. it does not have a good inventory or storage system, which further explains the previous statement. payless is good work experience, but i would manage and do things differently if i were given a choice/chance.
Pros
ok work environment and simple job
Cons
nothing comes to mind
It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB26 June 2017
Not a bad place to work but definitely not a place that I would stay long term, they expect way too much from you and you do not get treated with respect.
Fun environment, Challenging
Sales Associate - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
A very nice place to meet people, attend to their needs and help them make choices. The opportunity to handle different kinds of people improves skills at customer management and it helps learn a lot.
Pros
High Energy
Cons
Nothing So Far
Very Structured
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2017
I have spent most my Canadian life with this company. The benefits are good. The management is okay as well. They put a high standard to employees that is sometimes un achievable with the hours given.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Payless ShoeSource. Our community is ready to answer.