The role of the Program Assistant will facilitate various activities that promote physical activity, healthy eating and nutrition, positive personal development and wellness; and to engage and support elementary and primary school aged children and families in our community.
- Working under the supervision of the After School Program Supervisor the Program Assistant will instruct and participate in a variety of physical activities aimed at engaging students in fun, recreational and life-long learning objectives.
- Provide a healthy snack to all participants within the program guidelines accommodating all dietary restrictions.
- Supervise children attending the program and promote safety and respect amongst all participants.
- Ensure a friendly and supportive atmosphere is maintained by developing appropriate strategies to support children in managing their behaviour.
- Respond to the individual needs of children and establish stable and consistent relationships with each child and their families/caregivers.
- Liaise sensitively with parents on matters concerning their children while maintaining confidentiality.
- Ensure that the health and safety needs of the children are met and all health and safety issues are dealt with immediately and appropriately.
- Ensure correct procedures are followed for administering first aid.
- Ensure proper sign in/sign out procedures are followed
- Cleaning and tidying of the facility and ensuring the safe storage of equipment.
- Report on a regular basis to Program Supervisor regarding issues of need and/or concern.
- Communicates the mission, values and operating principles of the organization to employees, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work well with children
- Experience with leading children/youth activities
- Knowledge of youth/children programs
- Ability to work as a team member in a dynamic, complex environment and organize time and workload effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels of staff, the public and program participants while maintaining objectivity.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, participants and parents.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the job including frequent standing, walking bending, kneeling, crouching or crawling. Ability to use various sports equipment used in program.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification
- Current vulnerable sector screening (criminal background check)
Programs run Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 3pm-6pm untill June 28, 2013
Indeed - 22 months ago