Pason is the leading global provider of specialized data management systems for land-based and offshore rigs worldwide. Our rental solutions, which include data acquisition, wellsite reporting, remote communications, and web-based information management, enable collaboration between the rig and the office.
Pason’s energized and focused work environment empowers each team member to push the envelope of traditional thinking to create new solutions to old problems. We place considerable focus on a culture that nurtures imagination in an atmosphere where people are free to perform to their fullest potential in an open and friendly environment.
The Technical Communications team develops and maintains Pason communications that support the usability of Pason products, and that enhance the company's reputation. Comprised of talented technical writers, corporate communicators, graphic designers, and user experience designers, the team works with R&D, Sales, Finance, and Operations to ensure that Pason products and services are simple to use, properly explained, and clearly marketed.
The Technical Communications team has a very wide scope which provides them with variety each day, as well as the opportunity to grow as professionals. Some of the team's projects include developing technical communications such as online training courses, user guides, online help, and connection diagrams; creating corporate communications such as presentations, branding, and the annual report; designing marketing communications such as the website, brochures, and advertisements; and enhancing user experience by conducting user testing and prototyping hardware and software interfaces. The Technical Communications team works both independently and in teams, and they take pride in their commitment to excellence.
Pason is seeking a motivated and energetic student or recent grad for our Technical Writing Internship position (18 month contract). Reporting to the technical communications manager, you will be responsible for planning, managing, controlling, writing, and editing technically complex documentation for varied audiences who install, use, and maintain our hardware and software products. We have a wide variety of document types, audiences, and tasks to help foster your growth.
This is an excellent opportunity for an up-and-coming professional communicator to gain experience with a successful oil and gas company. Your success is our goal—our veteran team members will provide you with mentoring and constructive feedback to sharpen your skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Writing, editing, and updating instructions for different users of Pason’s hardware and software solutions for the drilling industry (key tools include Word, MadCap Flare, Acrobat, and SharePoint).
- Establishing and following processes to ensure existing documentation (in user guide or online help format) remains current, relevant, and useful.
- Controlling document versions using SharePoint and helping to promote the proper use of version control tools throughout the company.
- Creating and maintaining audio scripts for Flash-based online training courses that teach users how to install our equipment on drilling rigs.
- Developing software demos using Adobe Captivate, and other video media.
- Interviewing experts and exploring Pason software and hardware to get the answers you need.
- Manage corporate communications for new products.
Essential Job Requirements
Bachelor of Applied Communications or related post-secondary education.
- At least one year of related technical writing experience (equivalencies may be considered)
- A portfolio that demonstrates writing excellence
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Solid writing skills to produce high-quality documentation that adheres to established standards in a minimum amount of time. Clear, concise and targeted writing.
- Solid editing skills and a good understanding of English grammar
- A passion for learning, naturally curious about new technology, and enjoy learning about cutting-edge hardware and software applications
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills and some exposure to other standard technical communications tools (e.g., Acrobat, Flare, Photoshop, Captivate)
- Proficient when using illustrations, diagrams, and photographs
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Able to multi-task without missing deadlines.
- Highly motivated and see tasks through to their conclusion independently and with expert attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Open to constructive criticism and communicate your ideas clearly and efficiently
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment and can be self-managed
- Ability to discuss technical material and procedures with software developers, engineers, and other subject matter experts. This requires excellent communication skills demonstrated through probing and the ability to check for clarity and understanding.
Working at Pason
Pason promotes a healthy and fun lifestyle within and outside the workplace. Employees enjoy the following benefits:
- Competitive base salary compensation, discretionary performance bonus, and a comprehensive benefit program
- Access to onsite amenities such as fitness and workout rooms; Pilates and yoga classes
- Foosball, ping-pong, and an outdoor ball hockey area
- Free parking and bike storage
- Summer barbeques and other Pason-sponsored social and community activities held throughout the year
If this sounds like Your Pason, and you are seeking a dynamic work environment where you will join a talented group of imaginative and creative people, then we would like to hear from you. We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.