Pason is a leading provider of instrumentation systems for land-based and offshore drilling rigs worldwide. The Company’s rental and sold solutions, which include data acquisition, wellsite reporting, remote communications, and web-based information management, maximize rig uptime, improve work efficiency, and minimize operating costs.
Pason’s energized and focused work environment empowers each team member to push the envelope of traditional thinking to create new solutions to old problems. We place considerable focus on a culture that nurtures imagination in an atmosphere where people are free to perform to their fullest potential in an open and friendly environment.
The Electronic Drilling Recorder (EDR) team at Pason creates rugged, high-performance, safety-critical instrumentation for drilling rigs in a complex, dynamic and demanding environment. Our equipment is custom-designed for the unique market we serve, and is connected globally as part of a crucial data-gathering system for the resource industry.
Pason is seeking experienced embedded Java/C++ software developers to join the EDR team in the Calgary office. You will provide creative solutions to our customer’s business needs, while constantly improving our own ability to deliver quality products. We can provide you experience with real-time embedded software, touch-screen GUI design, data storage technologies, networking, network element management, Linux kernel, and/or many other application technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement and test software features for the Electronic Drilling Recorder (EDR) system, utilizing our extensive suite of development tools. We implement in a variety of languages, primarily Java, C++, Perl and Python on Linux.
- Understand our customer’s needs by formalizing requirements for new products and projects while working with the key internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead or contribute to teams in a senior and technical lead capacity by describing your project’s progress, identifying risks and issues and providing mitigation strategies.
- Estimate projects using formal software estimation techniques.
- Investigate and resolve issues ranging from bugs to root-cause analysis for development and field environments.
- Contribute to our evolving development environment through research, experimenting with new technologies and attending conferences or courses. Educate your peers on what you have learned.
Essential Job Requirements
A bachelor’s degree on Computer Science, Software Engineering or Computer Engineering.
Ten or more years of embedded software development using industry-standard software development processes.
Five or more years of network management system and element management system development experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in network management system design for networks with over 1000 network elements.
- Experience in network management protocols and MIB design and development
- Well developed communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team or as an individual. Demonstrated ability to lead and contribute to teams of 3-6 developers.
- A strong commitment to quality.
- Experience in applying UML and design patterns to create software solutions.
- Experience with MySQL, JMS, testing strategies and Subversion is an asset.
- Knowledge of the oil and gas industry, and instrumentation and drilling rigs is an asset.
Working at Pason
Pason promotes a healthy lifestyle within and outside the workplace. Employees enjoy the following benefits:
- Competitive base salary compensation, discretionary performance bonus, stock options and a comprehensive benefit program.
- Access to onsite amenities such as fitness and workout rooms; Pilates and yoga classes.
- Foosball, ping-pong, and an outdoor ball hockey area.
- Free parking and bicycle storage.
- Summer barbeques, and other Pason-sponsored social and community activities held throughout the year.
If this sounds like Your Pason, and you are seeking a dynamic work environment where you will join a talented group of imaginative and creative people, then we would like to hear from you. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.