PartSource Employee Reviews in Canada

over work managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2016
managed a store for 4 years. the upper management has little knowledge of automotive industry making it difficult sometimes. Constantly coming up with non sense promos and bog down managers with endless reports that are next to never reviewed other than open cod reports and returns. they give u a 40 hour contract but have heard a regional manger say that we all knew it was not realistically a 40 hr a week job. Constantly told to cut hours but then asked why service is slow especially when a canadian tire complains about their delivery times. managers get stuck covering the hours because they are on salary and are pressured to cut hours and its the only way to save so you get stuck working some long weeks. Head office continually changes focus which is frustrating... pushing the most expwnsive brake cleaner and insisting that staff if written up for not selling it often enough. never want to pay employees fairly but insist they are paid as per industry standards... this is NOT true.
Pros
staff is usually nice
Cons
ridiculous hours and expectations with luttle resources provided
All in a days work
Picker/Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 31, 2016
Good working environment. Just work. Typical day would be, shipping out of town parts, picking parts for in town deliveries, processing invoice transfers and reports, occasional driving for part deliveries and pickups. Good co-workers.
Not bad for Canadian Tire Corporation
Commercial Manager/Parts Pro/Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 11, 2016
Willing to work around your schedule. Advancement wasn't too bad just wasn't willing to pay enough to support a family. The only employee on salary at the store was the Store Manager who did whatever he pleased so I ended up doing his job for him all the time.
productive and laid black
Parts Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 15, 2016
really enjoyed my time at part source, the people are great. the most enjoyable part of job was working with car parts and dealing with customer with classic cars.
productive anf fun workplace
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ONMarch 14, 2016
great place to work staff is great , customer service is our up most importance! working hours are perfect for any life style!
enjoyed working for Partsource
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONOctober 13, 2015
I learned a lot from all my co-workers and management it was a nice place to work....with lots of room for advancement and learning a lot about vehicle's.. and parts and the new computer system...
minimal hours, completey corporate, dont care about you
Automotive parts delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 1, 2016
they just care about their bottom line and profits, they give you the least hours they can get away with and have actual policies that stated that you can not work more than 24 hrs a week and they really just do not care about you at all
Typical Work Day Experience
Auto Parts Counter Person (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
It's a very easy-going job that has lots of customer interaction, both commercial and retail. Most employees have lots of automotive knowledge however those with the most knowledge and experience tend to be the first to leave into the automotive field due to the little pay. Working there is fun great people and very little work drama. The head managers have very little automotive knowledge and are mainly focused on the retail aspect of the store which has resulted in reduced commercial customer volume. The biggest downside is the large amount of customer phone calls in the store for simple questions. This is due to the fact that PartSource's website lacks the information of part stock or information resulting in customers phoning the store to get that information which causes an inconvenience to any customers in the store needing help or commercial customers trying to place orders. If the website was more like Canadian Tire's where you can look up the product before coming to the store it would run 100 times more efficiently. This isn't considered an annoyance rather than an inconvenience to customers waiting to purchase a product. Other than that I feel it's a great start if you want to get into the automotive trade but not ready to be an apprentice yet or if you're in college wanting a job to pay off schooling.
Pros
Great Employees, Fantastic employee discount on automotive parts and supplies. Flexible Scheduling.
Cons
Large Employee Turnover Rate, Management has little knowlege of automotive, Pay could be much better due to requiring a large amount of automotive knowledge, Unnecessary large volume of phone calls due to a lack of a functional website.
It's a job
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSeptember 23, 2015
O.K. some days, others...very trying on the nervous system.
Pay isn't great, and there is not a hope of advancement. I have not had any formal training in learning other aspects of the business, and after what I have seen in the last three months; I wouldn't recommend working for Partsource.
Pros
donuts occasionally
Cons
Attitudes of co-workers
Worst company to work for
PARTS COUNTER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 7, 2015
There are no stars in some areas for a reason and the 1 stars are legitimately myself rating that area a 1 star.

I've worked for both Canadian Tire and PartSource. I'm surprised to see the difference considering they're the same company. PartSource is owned by Canadian Tire. The difference between the two is that Canadian Tire is a franchise and is sold to individuals whereas PartSource is a corporately owned company.

I've worked at Canadian Tire and it was a such a pleasant company to work for.

To describe PartSource as a company I say this. The company has the WORST management (this is just an understatement), the management has a lot of politics, to the company each employee is just a number and can easily be replaced. The company is extremely OVERPRICED for both retail and commercial customers. I've had many customers complain to me about how much cheaper they can get stuff from other companies. PartSource claims they price-match, but they really do not. On the website it says we'll price-match + 10% on top of that if it doesn't go below our cost which is totally reasonable.. if the company put actions to their word that is. THE COMPANY DOES NOT PRICE-MATCH. The top of the company wants to see results, but they do not see what the regional managers and store managers are doing, they are harming the company itself. Employee wise, the treatment here is very much like straight warehouse labor. ALWAYS HAVE TO BE DOING SOMETHING. No health benefits, no company events for employees unless appointed by employees. Company takes no care for employees and does not even treat
  more... them.

If anyone in the superior level of PartSource reads this, INVESTIGATE YOUR STORE AND REGIONAL MANAGERS. I don't know how many customers/employees have to complain before you take some action just because the store/regional managers don't care doesn't mean you have to either.

As for the location I've worked at. It was downright terrible, I'm 20 years old I've worked here for a year and a half. It was the worst year and a half I've spent at a company. The compensation for pay is unfairly distributed as newer employees are getting paid more than the employees currently working here (most for over a year). My manager was a personal pain because he thinks everyone is a robot and must be doing something constantly. We've had a few meetings where the store manager and regional manager tried the whole "we actually care for you" thing when in reality they didn't because they talked out of their assxs. He kept complaining about how I am not a hard-worker when I worked harder than most employees there. Unfair treatment at it's greatest. There would be employees talking, laughing it up in front of a camera but the one minute I took out to catch my breathe and talk with a fellow employee I was "wasting the company's time" In the last few months of working there the location I worked at we had at least 6 people quit. I'm still wondering if anything actually happened or was investigated because numbers were never met, employee satisfaction was straight down the drain and customers.. don't even get me started.

The only plus side to working there was the friends I met there and the cool customers that came in, you meet a lot of new people and learn some cool stuff and feel bad for them when you sell them parts that you know are a complete RIP OFF because the mark ups are ridiculously high. One other plus side was the pain of working there for a year to finally be able to quit and feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. It feels GREAT!

FOR FUTURE APPLICANTS. CONSIDER IT DEEPLY IF YOU APPLY. MAKE SURE YOU GET GOOD REVIEWS FROM EMPLOYEES AT THE LOCATION YOU WANT TO APPLY AT. YOU'RE NOT JUST A NUMBER, YOU'RE A PERSON.
Pros
Customers are cool, being asked to drive from time to time
Cons
Worst management, too much politics, poor compensation, over-priced
fun team of people to work for and have work for me
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONOctober 3, 2015
every day has purpose and being part of a team of dedicated people makes responsibilities a pleasure. Dealing with customer on a daily basis is exciting and rewarding
Pros
smiles on customer faces
Cons
losing good people when it happens
Best Job ever. But just a Job.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 14, 2015
Blockbuster is now defunct but was a great first job.
I would hope to find a workplace with such an atmosphere again.

We were a tight-knit, supportive team who even today have social ties and are still friends.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, great family feeling, secure if you wanted to work.
Cons
Late night retail environment
Great working experience
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 4, 2013
A typical day at work we assist and serve commercial and retail customers on auto parts needs and knowledge. Set up the showroom with promotional products as well as keeping the showroom stocked up in an organized fashion. I've learned to manage a team of four, two counterman, and two drivers on completing daily tasks and planning their routes to deliver to our commercial clients. My co-workers all get a long really well which makes my job as team lead much easier. Most enjoyable part of the job is to see customers come back regularly in seeking for our help and thanking us for the assistance we provide. The hardest part about the job would be handling a unsatisfied customer, our mistake or not, and to make the right decision to benefit both parties, and keeping the customer satisfied and continue to do business with our company.
Pros
great team, amazing managers, flexible schedule
Cons
short staffed
fun
Store associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJune 30, 2015
was at partsouce for coop during high school. Pretty good place to learn a little bit about cars and car parts. most of the time its enjoyable and the hours are nice.
Pros
fun
Cons
nothing
Flexible schedule, very nice owner, managing and training were lacking
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 11, 2012
A typical day at work involved putting stock away, answering phone calls from customers and commercial accounts, typical cashier duties, researching parts locations from 3rd party vendors, sales reconciliation at the end of the day. Partsource taught me many useful things about maintenance of vehicles and about many related products available. The store manager failed to teach me anything, and was very unapproachable. The owner and assistant manager, however, were always happy to answer my questions or tell me WHY something was the way it was, and not just show me the procedure for accomplishing said task. My Co-workers were for the most part very friendly, happy to help out, and in turn I would happily help them out as well. The hardest and most frustrating part of the job was finding 3rd party auto parts, especially when the manager would not help out, and not ever teach me where to look in the first place. I found the customer service side of the job the most enjoyable, and found the most satisfaction from helping customers solve problems.
Pros
flexible schedule, good work pace
Cons
no training whatsoever, management issues
Great place to learn and advance in automotive parts.
Commercial Manager/assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 11, 2013
Partsource is a great place to learn about automotive parts. The direct link between your DIY to commercial account.

It is a very fast paced environment. A great place to work as a team.

Room for all kinds of advancement from driver to store manager, their is always something new to learn about.
spend your day catering to CTC shops
Commercial Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 5, 2013
-learned account management and politics
-boss was former store owner before store was bought by company and he had a hard time adjusting to corporate life
-enjoyed dealing with public
Great Work Environment for Car Lovers
PartsPro/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 28, 2014
If you know your stuff with cars and parts, it should be pretty straight forward giving advice and help with parts.

Can get very busy, lack of staff can hinder efficient service to customers in the evening shifts.
Pros
automotive related if you love cars
Cons
busy hours sometimes hindered by lack of staff
Dispatch Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 13, 2012
-Manage a shotgun delivery service to all surrounding CTC stores
-Very good team
-Well structured
-Solid Management
-Fast-paced
Pros
store discount
Cons
indoors
Great job overall
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 10, 2012
Great place to work for! I started as a part-timer and moved my way up to Team Lead. I have had the chance to interact with many different people and faced many challenges along the way. I feel like I learn something new every time I work there.
Pros
flexible with great staffing.
Cons
job can be very fast paced and demanding.

2.4