With over 120 years of brand heritage in the Canadian dairy industry, Parmalat Canada is committed to the health and wellness of Canadians and markets a variety of high-quality food products that help them keep balance in their lives. Parmalat Canada produces milk and dairy products, fruit juices, cultured products, cheese products and table spreads with such respected brands as Beatrice, Lactantia, Astro, Black Diamond, and Balderson. Our employees' continued commitment to quality and innovation has helped Parmalat Canada become one of the largest, most-dynamic food group companies in Canada, employing more than 2,900 people with 18 operating facilities across the country. Our parent company, Parmalat SpA, is listed on the Italian Stock Exchange in Milan under the ticker symbol PLT.
As a member of the Quality Control Team the Quality Control Technician is responsible for all aspects of product testing and monitoring of production environment quality to ensure that products meet food and quality specifications. Duties are performed through the use of equipment, auditing techniques, inspection, and testing method. In addition responsible for HACCP and PQMS program support, CCP verification, and documentation management.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform analytical and microbiological, chemistry, and sensorial testing and analysis of in-process and finished product samples according to approved standard operating procedures. Record and evaluate test data and notify the QC supervisor of any deviations from the prescribed product specifications. Conduct root cause analysis and determine the necessary corrective action.
- Verify cheese moisture parameters during production and communicate any deviations or issues to Production Supervisor/Manager where applicable.
- Conduct screening and monitoring tests on raw milk upon receipt where applicable.
- Perform internal audits on various plant programs and support PQMS and HACCP documentation management. Participate with Quality Control Manager in implementing new standard requirements.
- Administer the plant’s Environmental Monitoring and Water Quality programs (sampling, testing, recording and evaluating data) in compliance with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and/or Ministry of the Environment operational requirements.
- Organize and conduct shelf-life evaluation of specified products.
- Perform preventative maintenance and calibration of laboratory and plant analytical equipment.
- Organize, test and communicate test results for various product trials that require chemical or microbiological testing.
- Monitor the release of finished product and ensure nonconforming product is not released in accordance with PQMS program and procedures.
- Perform administrative duties such as maintain records, forms and logs including computer databases, and performing regular inventory checks and providing the QC supervisor/Manager with a list of required supplies.
- Participant in Health & Safety Program where applicable.
Education & Experience
- College diploma or university degree in Food Science
- Two (2) to three (3) years experience in a dairy food lab
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of analytical and microbiological testing with respect to dairy food products and ability to problem solve
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Organizational and time management skills
- Good communication skills
- Proficient with standard office computer technology
- Knowledge of HACCP, PQMS and GMP policies and procedures
Indeed - 4 months ago