Park West Gallery Employee Reviews

Learning and creative environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 20, 2016
Although it is a stressful job, I learned a lot from this position dealing with sales, saving sales, helping client using every resource possible and being a problem solver. Management was tough bought very helpful and my coworkers were a very good team to work with. Hardest parts of the job were trying to find time in a day to finish every task, but at least making sure these tasks were listed from highest to lowest importance. The most enjoyable part of the day would be the moments where your handwork pays off with a client and your are able to say they left satisfied either on the phone or in person. Some clients would even send their kudos for the representatives they were working with to our management department where these were acknowledged highly.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
no space for growth
Travel abroad
Associate Art Autioneer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 11, 2015
Amazing opportunity to meet artists and grow your knowledge of fine art. Potential to earn good money. International travel opportunities as you are living on a cruise ship. Very intense work schedule and environment.
Pros
International travel and live aboard cruise ships
Cons
Very long hours, 7 days a week for the 6 month contract
Not a good fit for all.
Art Associate (Current Employee) –  WorldwideAugust 7, 2013
This company is wonderful in what it does, which is helping people around the world collect art from both classic and contemporary movements. They also operate worldwide, giving employees many opportunities to explore new places and cultures outside of thier own. However, they are not very clear on how the company operates or how each employee is paid, tasks you will have to learn or complete, et cetera.
Pros
travel, housing supplied.
Cons
not very straightforward about pay, no benefits
Great Way to Travel and meet people
Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  miamiJune 27, 2012
workgin on ships is non traditional and not easy! Adjusting can be difficult but its a great experience can open a lot of doors to new people and countries all over the world . Be careful, Park West employees are not all the same. Some work harder than others. Training is horrible and not every ship is the same. You can make your own assessment, but be cautious or you will get burned
Pros
free travel
Cons
no benefits
Money oriented job
Associate Art Auctioneer (Current Employee) –  MIJuly 21, 2015
A typical day at work starts at 5 a.m. and finishes at 1 a.m. I've learned that the job is never actually finished, there is always more and more you can do to improve your skills. The hardest and also the best part of the job is that you always have to work in new teams of people, you coach and you are trained, you learn and you teach others.
Pros
Dealing with people, internationally
Stay away
manager auctioneer (Former Employee) –  Miami,March 24, 2015
The night cleaners make more money per hour than Park West Gallery's new employees. It will cost you thousands just to get to your first ship: Medical $700 Flight from your country to Miami and then to your ship. Two weeks of intense unpaid training. And if you don't make it though training: 30% fail. Then you have lost the money you spent on the above. If you want to work on a ship take any other job with any other department: Casino, gift shop, shore excursion etc. Stay away from Park West.
Pros
Cons
long hours, fines, lots of out of pocket expenses
A job that lets you see the world.
Art Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 9, 2015
A multi cultural environment that lets you experience the world and learn from many different cultures. A true experience.
Don't even consider
Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 16, 2012
Family run, most bizarre place I've ever seen. Salary employees have to clock in/out using biometric scanner, poor work environment.
Cons
too many to list
Park West is an excellent company with good relations with all its clientelle.
Art Gallery Associate (Former Employee) –  miami lakes floridaJune 7, 2014
A typical day at work involved long hours however the long hours are rewarding. Management is semi laissez faire and relaxed which allows for personal development. Team size is usually small with five colleague. This allows for a closely knit team. Hardest part of the job is working for long hours at a continuous stretch and best part of the job is getting off in the ports end enjoying the natural beauty of tropical resorts.
Pros
pleasant, proffessional team members
Cons
extended hours of work with no breaks
Unbelievable Experience - Amazing!
International Fine Art Auctioneer (Former Employee) –  New York, Miami, Caribbean, Alaska, EuropeDecember 5, 2012
I traveled to over 50 countries as a Fine Art Auctioneer, and I saw countless places that I would never, in a lifetime, be able to visit.

And I made a lot of money doing it.

Besides the travel and the compensation, I think the best think about this job is that you really learn how to run a small business. This was a great way for me to combine my entertainment background and business acumen, and to grow professionally in a way that I think would really take years somewhere else.

I have definitely developed a confidence in my abilities that never existed before.

And I can tell you, there is nothing like being on stage in front of 300+ people calling a live art auction. It's almost like being a rock star. Seriously.

I've also really learned to appreciate the visual arts much more now, have amassed an incredible amount of knowledge, become fascinated with art history, and have really enjoyed seeing just how excited my clients get when they tell me about the artwork they've collected. It's great knowing that I'm actually getting paid to help educate people, and to help them have a great time collecting something they already enjoy from a company they love.

I also used to play competitive basketball in college, and if you would have told me I would end up doing this, I would have called you crazy. I was not an arts person, at all. Now, my friends call me a walking encyclopedia of Art History! I've found that this opportunity has allowed me to maintain a competitive, entrepreneurial spirit while also really immersing myself in The Arts - something I've grown to appreciate and
  more... love on a personal level.

Oh - and the training was unbelievable as well. I feel like they could charge for the training (which, of course they don't) because it was THAT GOOD. The training was quite difficult, but I learned more there than I think I did in 4 years of college, and I'm not the only one that came out of training thinking the same thing.

It really is one of those jobs where the more you put into it, the more you get out of it, and there are many facets to that. This job isn't for someone who is lazy or is just happy clocking in and out - it's for someone who wants, and has the determination, to make something for themselves. I saw the world, I was paid well, and I experienced a level of personal a professional growth that has put me far ahead of the game - especially at this age in my life.
Pros
travel, compensation, autonomy, training program, sales org, product, networking, extended vacations, etc...
Cons
gone 5-6 months at a time, small cabin/living arrangements
The training and professional experience I gained during my time with Park West Gallery was priceless. I do not know if there is another firm that can
5 5 star cruise lines (Former Employee) –  Art Gallery Director and Associate Art Auctioneer.November 10, 2011
The trainers and fleet managers for Park West Gallery go above and beyond to provide all of the imperative information to run a successful art auction program on the major cruise lines of the world. At the age of 22, after 2 weeks of intense sales training I was sent to travel the world on some of the largest most beautiful cruise liners to take on the job of Art Gallery Director and Associate Art Auctioneer with duties ranging from producing all art event marketing to art sales customer service. After the encouragement and support provided for me and my team I was fully capable of initiating a productive art program with proven sales success.
Pros
professional experience while traveling the world
Cons
long months away from home, few english speaking ports
See the world and live on a Cruise Ship
Associate Art Auctioneer (Current Employee) –  Norwegian Jade (Venice, Italy)December 5, 2011
THE MOST FUN JOB I HAVE EVER HAD (thus far)!!!! I started out of college not knowing anything about art and never imagining that I would be selling original Rembrandt and Picasso works on a cruise ship!

Park West takes the time to train all their employees all the ins and outs for presenting and selling art. They teach you the artists, different styles of art creation methods, cultural significance, art movements, EVERYTHING!

I would STRONGLY recommend this job for those that want to see the time world, have great personality, and want to make friends from around the world.
Pros
free housing, free food, no expences, travel the world, make lots of friends
Cons
little contact with family ashore
An exciting life of art and travel
Art Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 19, 2013
I was responsible for carrying out a set program onboard cruise ships in order to educate and involve a perpetually growing number of guests in our program. I delivered full-length presentations and seminars to guests on fine art and art history. I also handled the payroll aspects of the department, hiring and controlling a staff of up to five individuals, both art assistants and movers. I contributed to the overall success of my respective cruise ships through creative contributions to the typical cruise ship experience, and being a credible source of knowledge for clients, while maintaining a professional attitude at all times.
Fun workplace
Packing and Shipping Consultant (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FloridaJanuary 27, 2015
I worked with the packing and shipping which would be the packing of the artwork before they were shipped out through Fedex or UPS. Everyone was rotated numerous times a day throughout the line and was made into a fun environment.
Supportive employees and interesting work environment.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 21, 2014
I enjoyed working at Park West Gallery. They were very busy and had a lot of things going on within their company which was unfortunate in that it made my position a little more stressful. I enjoyed the pressure and demands of the job otherwise.
Pros
i could wear whatever i wanted to wear.
Cons
i believe that the healthcare plan was expensive.
Eat you up
Art Gallery Director (Former Employee) –  Cruise shipsJune 13, 2014
They will do everything they can to make a dime off of you, including change your commission structure if they feel you're making too much.
Pros
incentive pay
Cons
incentive pay.
Working for Park West
Auctioneer and Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  the worldMay 6, 2013
If you are single or a young couple looking for a challenge. There is in my opinion no better company to work for. If you apply for a job with Park West it will change your life for ever in a very positive way.
Pros
great art great world to see! great income
Cons
hard work. you have to get stuck in.
beware
interviewee (Former Employee) –  MiamiApril 5, 2013
Do your homework!
These people have a very questionable reputation with numerous complaints and some shady dealing.

What they offer is of very questionable taste and value

be careful..don't get your hopes up for something that "is probably to good to be true"
Pros
?
Cons
you decide
Exciting atypical business
International Art Dealer aboard cruise ships (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 3, 2012
Amazing opportunities available if you have the ability to be out of the country aboard a cruise ship for most of the year.
productive place to work
Warehouse Technician/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLFebruary 20, 2014
in charge of cutting and join the molding to make frames for the art pictures

2.8