This is a temporary position to begin immediately and finish approximately June 30,2013.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Program Instructor will be responsible for the implementation of Downsview Park’s sustainability based education programs, under the direction of the Program Coordinator.
- Take direction from and provide advice to the Program Coordinator, as it relates to the efficient implementation of the programs;
- Instruct curriculum-based education programs for elementary, middle, and secondary students with a sustainability focus;
- Communicate regularly with teachers, parents and other Park users regarding programming;
- Ensure that programs are delivered smoothly by helping to prepare all required supplies and resources and maintaining clean and well organized programming spaces;
- Assist the Program Coordinator in the following tasks: developing programs and teaching tools, creating and maintaining educational displays and learning centres, developing and distributing marketing material related to programming;
- Keep the Program Coordinator informed of all aspects of programs and feedback;
- Support the Program Coordinator in building and maintaining partnerships with the park community, teachers, educational institutions, governmental agencies and community groups;
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Education and Experience
- University degree, preferably with experience in education and environmental studies;
- Strong teaching experience, preferably with a background in outdoor and/or environmental education;
- Strong knowledge of camp and educational programming;
- Member in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers is an asset but not required;
- Good understanding of the concept of sustainability;
- First Aid and CPR certified.
- Excellent communication and teaching skills;
- Computer skills – word processing, spreadsheet & database experience;
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to multitask;
- Ability to connect to children and youth of all ages;
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends;
- Attention to detail ;
- Good professional presence;
- Good time management skills;
- Solutions oriented – resourceful.
Indeed - 23 months ago