ROLE PROFILE First Cook / Chef
REPORTS TO Director, Hangar Operations
START DATE Immediately
Parc Downsview Park (PDP), a former military base located in the centre of the Greater Toronto Area, is a mix of public parkland, commercial uses and community services offering a diverse range of public activities and programs with a focus on leisure, educational, sport, recreational and cultural uses. Owned by Canada Lands Company Limited, PDP team’s role is to design, develop and maintain Downsview Park in a financially sustainable manner. For more information, please visit www.downsviewpark.ca.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The First Cook / Chef is responsible for the coordination of the daily operations for the Hangar Grill, a 70 seat licensed restaurant that features pub style fare. This position is also responsible for the strategic coordination of on-site catering for a multitude of Special Events throughout the year. This position will ensure a high level of customer service and quality is met for all food and beverage services.
- Provide input and advice to the Director, Hangar Operations as it relates to the efficient
administration of the Food and Beverage operation.
- Schedule staff appropriately for operational efficiency while meeting the highest
standards of Customer Service.
- Provide hands on support to the daily needs of the food preparation on the line.
- Prepare and suggest changes to menu items for pub style fare as well as healthy
- Make suggestions to clients regarding menu items for event catering and execute all
- Accurately order and maintain inventory on all food and beverage products.
- Assist the Director, Hangar Operations in the analysis of food costs as they pertain to
both the daily operations of the restaurant and catering for special events.
- Maintain the highest standards in Food Safety, Food Handling and Work Safety.
- Provide training to restaurant employees of Food Safety, Food Handling and Work
- Execute Waste Sheet Reconciliation on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate a cleaning schedule for the kitchen and ensure that all health and safety
standards are met with regard to sanitization.
- Follow all PDP policies as they relate to general office protocol, life-safety codes and
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 2-5 years experience in a full time kitchen supervisory/leadership role.
- Food Handler Certification;
- Experience in a high volume casual dining restaurant.
- Experience with catering of large scale special events ranging from plated meals to
buffet and BBQ preparation and execution.
- A conceptual understanding of restaurant controls and financial statements.
- A thorough understanding of Food Safety including Hazard Analysis Critical Control
Points / Food Safety Enhancement Program.
- A proven record in training and developing a team.
- A passion for food and commitment to quality;
- Strong attention to detail and an eye for presentation;
- Ability to work flexible hours;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to think creatively and create a positive BOH and FOH team environment;
- Solutions oriented and resourceful;
- Computer literate;
- Flexible and adaptable to constantly changing needs of the organization;
- A team player that is supportive of colleagues and embraces a consultative approach
to problem solving.