ParaMed Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It's an okay job... pays well as a part time working student
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: Interacting with clients, pay is good, can pick up hours
Cons: Poor management, impossible to take vacation, dirty homes
I am a student who works as a PSW with ParaMed. I have been with them for approximately 9 months. When I was first hired I was told that I would be covering the evening shift from 5-10 pm. I personally did not have a problem with this as it gave me time to have a social life. But I would have preferred a mix of days and evenings. It is almost next to impossible to get vacation time and requesting time off is extremely complicated. I would request a day off months in advance only to be denied almost 2 months after I requested it.
As a part time job, its great. They were flexible with my school schedule and if I wasn't busy and needed to make a couple bucks, I can just check my emails and pick up some clients who are looking for a PSW to come in.
Management is awful, and speaking to them about scheduling conflicts/client issues is extremely frustrating as they don't truly listen. Problems rarely get fixed.
The best part of the jobs is interacting with the clients. You can meet some great people who genuinely enjoy your presence. It makes you feel great!
Although, you do have some clients who have dirty homes or are rude. But as with all jobs, I understand that not everyone you come across will be pleasant.
unprofessional workplace
office staff (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Awful place to work. Bullying, poor management, and just plain unprofessional. Management follows through on NOTHING. Bully's run the show. Say they have zero tolerance but do nothing. Cutbacks so staff are overworked, don't replace people when off so others resent them. Put out policies and then don't do anything about them if they are not followed. Basically some people just sit around on their cell phones or Internet all day in front of management and nothing is done about it while others work their butt off. So in a nutshell - work hard get nothing, be a bully and be rewarded.
Nice environment Friendly staff
PSW (Former Employee), Windsor, ONDecember 22, 2015
I would start by going to my first clients house in either their home or a facility and I would bath, dress and make their meals, and tidy up their homes.
Id clock my hours on my work cellphone as well as my driving time
Good place to work and manageable
Home Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
Pros: to have responsibility
Cons: driving
i start work early and get off early depending on how many costumers i have. overall its a good job
my costumers are really nice and i get to communicate a lot
Office Coordinators play favourites/ hours not consistant
Psw (Former Employee), OshawaNovember 19, 2015
Pros: clients
Cons: scheduling/ office staff
I worked for Paramed for a year I had to leave due to the awful hours same with a few other psw's i knew, I would advise I was available morning till night and they think its okay to scheduel someone 2 hours in the morning be off for hours work 1 off another hour and then work 3 very awful scheduling, some staff in the office were very nice but the coordinators are not good at what they do. Clients I had for months would all of a sudden be off my schedule with no explanation they wouldnt try to fill empty spots they pay did increase after I left but I took a lower paying job so I could have consitant hours. If you want to work morning till night for 5-6 hours this would be for you I couldnt justify spending my entire day waiting around to work. Also evening I would work I went from 3.5 hours work to 1 never trying to add more hours it made no sense to stay and work for such little hours yet they are always asking for people to pick up shifts they should get rid of the psw that call in always and give the hours to those who want it and they are always hireing for what?? the current employees want more hours !! I would have loved to stay if the coordinators were consistant they definatley play favourites and give the clients to certain people its unfair. the clients were awesome though and
Not secure hours
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 11, 2015
I would see clients in their homes and provide them with assistance in everyday living. I enjoyed meeting new clients and learning something different form every one of them.
Good experience
Community Practicum Student (SPN2) (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 30, 2015
I gained a great deal of experience as a new RPN. Learned from my co-assigned nurse and the hours worked very well with my lifestyle.
flexible hours
Community Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2015
offers opportunity for career advancement and provide flexibility for picking up certain time of work. Provide continuous training for quality improvement in giving care to clients. Excellent in Customer Service for any inquiries.
Great workplace but highly stressful
Assignment Coordinator/ Clerk (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 1, 2015
Pros: the team work
Cons: Being on call everyday, and short staff the company has.
I have learned a lot with ParaMed, the training was very helpful but i helt like it was short.
Its a very fast past, stressful environment, working all together to service the help that clients need is the best part about the job, because I enjoy helping others especially in the health care industry
At ParaMed the team is great always there to give you a helping hand when needed.
The gossip is probably the worst part about having to hear everyone talk bad about everyone
The hardest part about the job is having to always keep on top of staff not to book off because of the short staff we have and trying to keep all our clients happy along with still having more clients every day being added to our service, everyone is always so tense and stressing over if the client is getting seen on time and if not management is putting up a fight to get someone one in there when we are always short staff.
COMMUNICATION
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 8, 2015
Pros: time off, quick schedule changes
Cons: wages, communication, management, support for psw's not there
PARAMED IS A GREAT PLACEW TO WORK, ALTHOUGH THEIR DID NOT OFFER ANY INCENTIVES TO INCREASE WAGES OR KEEP YOUR INTEREST IN MORE HOURS, WORK LOADS BECAME MORE THAN WHAT IT WAS WORTH AT TIMES BUT THE CLIENTS WERE THE ONES YOU HAD TO FOCUS ON. I WOULD RETURN TO WORK THERE AGAIN.
Very hard and demanding work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
Cons: hardly any hours and long drives.
I start at 5:45 in the morning and before lunch time I´m home, it´s very hard and demanding job, working with people at every age, I basically work alone with my pacients.
Empowering and caring
Supply EA (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
This is a phenomenal place to spend time. The staff care about every child in the school. They provide such exceptional care while promoting independence.
Understanding and fun place to work.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 27, 2014
Pros: free bbq and lots of free education classes to in-prove your skills as a personal support worker
Cons: long hours on the weekends
Productive, friendly, understanding and fun place to work. The staffs at ParaMed are very helpful, willing to work with your availability. They sometimes have BBQ at the office for the staffs.
Field work provides independent work environment.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), North Bay, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Cons: no employee opportunity to provide feedback on scheduling discrepancies.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the positive impact I have on my clients.
Great job if you enjoy living in poverty!
Psw (Current Employee), Oshawa,ONFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: nice clients, flexible hours
Cons: terrible pay checks, always begging for hours, no respect from management
This is a dead end job!no wage increases,paying for most of my gas out of my own pocket,as paramed only pays a small portion of what I use.have to use my own cellphone minutes to call clients,even though nurses can use the company's phone.have to track down a supervisor for cupboard key anytime you need gloves,even though nurses can help themselves.when I lost my dad I got no bereavement pay,not even a sympathy card.no pension plan or sick days,always begging for hours,even though I've worked my butt off for them for years.they treat their psws shamefully!without the hardworking frontline workers like us these well paid managers wouldn't have a job.disgraceful!
Not a lot of support from co-workers
Visiting Nurse (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: great for working within my availability
Cons: lack of communication
Didn't find that staff worked together very well, not a lot of communication. Management not always approachable, therefore felt like I was really working on my own.
rating 4 good place to work, make sure staff/nurses are happy and fair wages
home support worker level 3 (Former Employee), Belleville, ONOctober 2, 2012
Pros: self satisfaction, client satisfied with care, good wages, great management and support.
Cons: no work available when graduated.
as a psw your scheduled is made up for you with times to visit. Help out the client with their daily hygiene routines and activities of daily living eg. food prep, cleaning etc. working closely with management for ADL help eg. grab bars if needed or nursing staff needed.

I have learned many things with clients adjustments from eg. surgery, falls, stroke etc. Their coping strategies and changes that are made to help cope.

Management worked well as a team here. My only regret is not waiting for a nurse position with this company when graduated.

Co-workers great. Good teamwork makes a huge difference!

Hardest part of this job was leaving, with no nursing work available.

Most enjoyable part was satisfaction of the client. Your self esteem grows on this! I have had many client say thank you for listening!
They were excellent with there employees
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Pickering, ONAugust 13, 2012
I only worked with ParaMed for a short time but within that time the company is extremely organized and making sure you got your hours. The co-workers were extremely helpful at all times. I enjoyed meeting new clients and returning to clients that I got to know. I learned so much at ParaMed, it was my first job going from home to home and it was an excellent experience. I learned that a friendly smile goes a long way no matter how the client is feeling. If you are friendly and pleasant they seem to perk up right away. The hardest part off my job was leaving. I left because we moved.
Good for the experience
CLERICAL COORDINATOR (Former Employee), OttawaJuly 3, 2012
Pros: the pay
Cons: working every single weekend
In my time at Paramed, they were very secretive, would hire people without giving you the chance for advancement and did not take into consideration people's home life for scheduling. If you worked weekends, you worked every weekend, not just every second.
They constantly critisize the two teams (eg afterhours and daytime Coordinators) which makes for a stressful work environment.
They also critisize your skills but refuse to spend time actually training with you.
Management seems to go through many candidates for the position. In 8 months, there were 3 Office Managers, 1 of which was brought in as a layover. The district manager was brought in from another location as well.
Coworkers were fun to work with, while some others talked about you behind your back which you will find in every office environment, but they don't seem to stop it at the source there.
It turns into bullying very fast.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when you worked with the people you were most comfortable with and they would help whenever need be, and you helped each other get the work done that was needed.
You ended up being more appreciatable of others rather than the actual company which made the job enjoyable.
Home care, is gratifying.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), North Bay, OntarioNovember 27, 2011
Pros: health care, the people you support.
Cons: unstable hours.
You have to be able to work on your own with no supervision. There is always someone to ask questions to for verification. Must be pleasant and be able to provide assistance to people in there own home. Must have your own transportation.