ParaMed Employee Reviews

I did recommend, but not now!
Personal Support Worker (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON18 December 2016
Enjoyed the p/t flexible hours was on my own most the time & enjoyed the Clts too & they did come first not so much with management, the benefits none even tho it's offered, pay was minimum wage with no year end pay raise for all the work you do, no recognition, I wasn't appreciated enough, was given addition 2-4 dollars increase by the government , but how long was that going to last, I asked no answer. They do stay on top of any training that's needed which is mandatory & with pay, they use Blackberry cells to do the scheduling & emailing in concerns + adding any changes too this tech is one great thing, all I'm saying is I hope they realize how valuable a PSW is and be fair & offer $15-16 or more per hr!
Pros
Working on my own as well as the flex able hrs!
Cons
Under paid, not valued!
Horrible place to work.
office employee (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON23 July 2016
I worked in the office for a few years. Management is horrid. If they don't like you for any reason...expect no support, to be lied to, bullied and expectations raise for just you. The nonsense that goes on in the office is unprofessional and ignored by management (shopping on line, facebook, constant personal cell phones ringing.) Breaks are only monitored for the non favorites. Staff meetings are a joke..it would appear that management is incapable of problem solving
Job advancement is nil Co-workers are gossips and are more concerned what's going on with others than doing their job. Job advancement is almost impossible unless you are on the managements favorite list, or are related in some way.
The thing that concerned me the most though, was the lack of follow through when issues with the psw's care for the clients were brought forward to management, and nothing was done about it. I would only assume that if the clients were one of their family members and needed the help that they would expect that the psw's would complete all tasks expected and stay the duration that they are being paid for
If you are a friend or related to management...it's a great place to work, however if you show up for work...do your job ...don't expect anything from the management team.
Pros
Cons
unprofessional, no guarantee of hours, horrible benefit package
woorst company to work for
Home support worker (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 June 2016
I started working for paramed back in 2015, and recently quit. I was originally hired full time but received part time hours.in order to make a living you literally have to work yourself to death starting from 7am - 11pm with lots of odd half hour breaks here and there .. the breaks sound great right. But in all honesty, you never have enough time for your own personal life with this company, and they are not understanding to that.

Management and supervisors are the WORST. they pick favourites, they bully their staff, and they almost NEVER show any appreciation for any amount of work you will ever do for them. The first two weeks I worked for them, I didn't receive a pay cheque. They told me their computers screwed up, and I had to wait an extra 5 days to receive my cheque. The following two weeks on my next pay day it happened again. And just recently they did it to me another two times. One cheque they only paid me half my hours, and the next cheque wasn't in my account in general in which I had to get higher management involved. Because of these screw up I had late fees on bills, I got Nsfs on my accounts in which paramed did not go good for.

I worked for paramed for 9 months and was supposed to receive benefits after three. I asked in two occasions about getting my benefits in which managment told me they'd look into It but would never get back to me with a straight answer.

If you enjoy being degraded, not appreciated, screwed over, and disrespected this is the company to work for. Highly un recommended, even to the general public.
Pros
no pros
Cons
bad management
Terrible management
PSW (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 August 2016
The only good thing about this job are the wonderful clients you interact with every day.The hourly wage is good,but,unless you are willing to work day and night,you will not get full time hours.It seems like every time I would get a lot of hours,CCAC would step in and start cutting client hours,so you would be back to part time.Its a no win situation.CCAC'S bottom line is saving money,at the expense of proper client care.When you try to advocate for your clients,it falls on deaf ears.All they care about is saving money..Supervisors rarely return messages,and there is no communication.I do not feel valued or respected for the hard work I do everyday.I advise anyone thinking of joining this company to stay away.You will not be valued or appreciated by this company.
Pros
Great clients, good hourly wage for senior employees
Cons
No full time hours, heartless CCAC workers always cutting client hours, terrible management
Ok
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Notl15 December 2016
Paramed is a great company to work for the educational opportunities are endless. Co workers are nice and uplifting. Human resources personal are top notch and always for the employee.
Pros
Alot of educational oppertunities
Excellent place to work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON22 June 2016
my day starts at 9 and so far i only have a few clients and i do fill ins when they have fill ins available. I bathe my clients and get them ready for their day. I have learned that every client is different and has their own wants and needs. Management is excellent they are always there 24/7 if i ever have any problems. I dont have any coworkers. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone. I care so much about people and my clients and I dont like to hear when some of my clients are embarrassed about having an accident for example. The most enjoyable part of my job is the smile on my clients faces when I have helped them. It truly is a rewarding job helping someone even if it's the smallest thing they appreciate it so much
Pros
pick and choose my hours
Cons
not getting enough consistent hours
enjoy learning new things
Client /service Specialist (Coordinator) (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ON30 January 2017
I enjoy learning new things. I are reliable and dependable. Quicker learner and enjoy going to work. I have learnt lots from ParaMed I just haven't had to use my Medical schooling at all
Great experience... but hours were an issue
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON3 January 2017
Not enough hours available for new staff.
Training was good
Just wished there was more options to get more then part time hours
Worst job of my life
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 August 2016
Management is horrendous, no follow through, no help no replies to any questions or issues. Coordinators pick favourites and most field staff just doesn't seem to care. Worst environment I've ever seen. Would not recommend this to anyone even my worst enemy
Pros
Elect to work
Cons
See comments
Horrible!
PSW (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON31 May 2016
Rate of pay is lower than other home care providers starting only @ 15.50. Scheduling team is in Renfrew, Add on clients at the last minute, sure you get a blackberry but this is severely abused by Renfrew adding clients at the last minute and or at the same times.
Supervisors don't have answers about anything, and training by the supervisor if after hours is a no go even if they say they will be there, they're not.
They put too much on your and don't schedule properly, get your own scheduling team in Cornwall???

Information, is scarce and this company is going down in my opinion!

Horrible to employees and don't take clients requests lightly but in essence they really don't care about anything other than making money!
Pros
Working mostly by yourself, the clients
Cons
scheduling team, unprofessional, and not that great pay
paramed
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON24 August 2016
making your own hours is great if you have early appointment you can wait to see clients later in the day, wound care can be very interesting, from seeing a skin tear to a major incident, never a dull moment working for paramed out in the community, co workers are great and super helpful, everyone is always there to help when needed
unprofessional workplace
office staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2016
Awful place to work. Bullying, poor management, and just plain unprofessional. Management follows through on NOTHING. Bully's run the show. Say they have zero tolerance but do nothing. Cutbacks so staff are overworked, don't replace people when off so others resent them. Put out policies and then don't do anything about them if they are not followed. Basically some people just sit around on their cell phones or Internet all day in front of management and nothing is done about it while others work their butt off. So in a nutshell - work hard get nothing, be a bully and be rewarded.
great place
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 May 2016
I have been with paramed for going on 4 years and it has had many good and bad times. but in the community it gives me flexibility to work around my families schedule. we have had our fair share of managers but they have been great for the most part.
Pros
flexible
Cons
can be demanding
very fast pace place on your feet
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2016
helping assist clients with disabilities or seniors in a hospital setting; job included helping clients be fed, bathed, clothed, helped them with getting them in and out of bed, their mobility.
Little room for advancement and learning opportunities
Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 April 2016
Coworkers are very friendly but generally unhappy with the working conditions.

Management does not listen or ask for employees input.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Poor management
Great
Community School Health Nurse (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 March 2016
I have four visits per day and get paid per visit. I have an amazing schedule and work with awesome kids. I assist kids to give their insulin. I have a great manager. My co-workers are caring people. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the kids grow up over the years.
Pros
Schedule is amazing
Cons
Unstable pay-If student is off I dont get paid
It's an okay job... pays well as a part time working student
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 January 2016
I am a student who works as a PSW with ParaMed. I have been with them for approximately 9 months. When I was first hired I was told that I would be covering the evening shift from 5-10 pm. I personally did not have a problem with this as it gave me time to have a social life. But I would have preferred a mix of days and evenings. It is almost next to impossible to get vacation time and requesting time off is extremely complicated. I would request a day off months in advance only to be denied almost 2 months after I requested it.
As a part time job, its great. They were flexible with my school schedule and if I wasn't busy and needed to make a couple bucks, I can just check my emails and pick up some clients who are looking for a PSW to come in.
Management is awful, and speaking to them about scheduling conflicts/client issues is extremely frustrating as they don't truly listen. Problems rarely get fixed.
The best part of the jobs is interacting with the clients. You can meet some great people who genuinely enjoy your presence. It makes you feel great!
Although, you do have some clients who have dirty homes or are rude. But as with all jobs, I understand that not everyone you come across will be pleasant.
Pros
Interacting with clients, pay is good, can pick up hours
Cons
Poor management, impossible to take vacation, dirty homes
Great job if you enjoy living in poverty!
Psw (Current Employee) –  Oshawa,ON23 February 2014
This is a dead end job!no wage increases,paying for most of my gas out of my own pocket,as paramed only pays a small portion of what I use.have to use my own cellphone minutes to call clients,even though nurses can use the company's phone.have to track down a supervisor for cupboard key anytime you need gloves,even though nurses can help themselves.when I lost my dad I got no bereavement pay,not even a sympathy card.no pension plan or sick days,always begging for hours,even though I've worked my butt off for them for years.they treat their psws shamefully!without the hardworking frontline workers like us these well paid managers wouldn't have a job.disgraceful!
Pros
Nice clients, flexible hours
Cons
Terrible pay checks, always begging for hours, no respect from management
Great workplace but highly stressful
Assignment Coordinator/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 May 2015
I have learned a lot with ParaMed, the training was very helpful but i helt like it was short.
Its a very fast past, stressful environment, working all together to service the help that clients need is the best part about the job, because I enjoy helping others especially in the health care industry
At ParaMed the team is great always there to give you a helping hand when needed.
The gossip is probably the worst part about having to hear everyone talk bad about everyone
The hardest part about the job is having to always keep on top of staff not to book off because of the short staff we have and trying to keep all our clients happy along with still having more clients every day being added to our service, everyone is always so tense and stressing over if the client is getting seen on time and if not management is putting up a fight to get someone one in there when we are always short staff.
Pros
the team work
Cons
Being on call everyday, and short staff the company has.
Personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON10 February 2016
this job was also too strenuous I had to visit clients homes and help them in show and so forth and often times I didn't get enough hours only three clients per day.

2.6