ParaMed Employee Reviews in Canada

Horrible!
PSW (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONMay 31, 2016
Rate of pay is lower than other home care providers starting only @ 15.50. Scheduling team is in Renfrew, Add on clients at the last minute, sure you get a blackberry but this is severely abused by Renfrew adding clients at the last minute and or at the same times.
Supervisors don't have answers about anything, and training by the supervisor if after hours is a no go even if they say they will be there, they're not.
They put too much on your and don't schedule properly, get your own scheduling team in Cornwall???

Information, is scarce and this company is going down in my opinion!

Horrible to employees and don't take clients requests lightly but in essence they really don't care about anything other than making money!
Pros
Working mostly by yourself, the clients
Cons
scheduling team, unprofessional, and not that great pay
Excellent place to work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONJune 22, 2016
my day starts at 9 and so far i only have a few clients and i do fill ins when they have fill ins available. I bathe my clients and get them ready for their day. I have learned that every client is different and has their own wants and needs. Management is excellent they are always there 24/7 if i ever have any problems. I dont have any coworkers. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone. I care so much about people and my clients and I dont like to hear when some of my clients are embarrassed about having an accident for example. The most enjoyable part of my job is the smile on my clients faces when I have helped them. It truly is a rewarding job helping someone even if it's the smallest thing they appreciate it so much
Pros
pick and choose my hours
Cons
not getting enough consistent hours
Great
Community School Health Nurse (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 30, 2016
I have four visits per day and get paid per visit. I have an amazing schedule and work with awesome kids. I assist kids to give their insulin. I have a great manager. My co-workers are caring people. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the kids grow up over the years.
Pros
Schedule is amazing
Cons
Unstable pay-If student is off I dont get paid
unprofessional workplace
office staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Awful place to work. Bullying, poor management, and just plain unprofessional. Management follows through on NOTHING. Bully's run the show. Say they have zero tolerance but do nothing. Cutbacks so staff are overworked, don't replace people when off so others resent them. Put out policies and then don't do anything about them if they are not followed. Basically some people just sit around on their cell phones or Internet all day in front of management and nothing is done about it while others work their butt off. So in a nutshell - work hard get nothing, be a bully and be rewarded.
great place
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 1, 2016
I have been with paramed for going on 4 years and it has had many good and bad times. but in the community it gives me flexibility to work around my families schedule. we have had our fair share of managers but they have been great for the most part.
Pros
flexible
Cons
can be demanding
Little room for advancement and learning opportunities
Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 1, 2016
Coworkers are very friendly but generally unhappy with the working conditions.

Management does not listen or ask for employees input.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Poor management
Nice environment Friendly staff
PSW (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 22, 2015
I would start by going to my first clients house in either their home or a facility and I would bath, dress and make their meals, and tidy up their homes.
Id clock my hours on my work cellphone as well as my driving time
Personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONFebruary 10, 2016
this job was also too strenuous I had to visit clients homes and help them in show and so forth and often times I didn't get enough hours only three clients per day.
Good place to work and manageable
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 25, 2015
i start work early and get off early depending on how many costumers i have. overall its a good job
my costumers are really nice and i get to communicate a lot
Pros
to have responsibility
Cons
driving
Not secure hours
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 11, 2015
I would see clients in their homes and provide them with assistance in everyday living. I enjoyed meeting new clients and learning something different form every one of them.
flexible hours
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2015
offers opportunity for career advancement and provide flexibility for picking up certain time of work. Provide continuous training for quality improvement in giving care to clients. Excellent in Customer Service for any inquiries.
Good experience
Community Practicum Student (SPN2) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 30, 2015
I gained a great deal of experience as a new RPN. Learned from my co-assigned nurse and the hours worked very well with my lifestyle.
It's an okay job... pays well as a part time working student
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 29, 2016
I am a student who works as a PSW with ParaMed. I have been with them for approximately 9 months. When I was first hired I was told that I would be covering the evening shift from 5-10 pm. I personally did not have a problem with this as it gave me time to have a social life. But I would have preferred a mix of days and evenings. It is almost next to impossible to get vacation time and requesting time off is extremely complicated. I would request a day off months in advance only to be denied almost 2 months after I requested it.
As a part time job, its great. They were flexible with my school schedule and if I wasn't busy and needed to make a couple bucks, I can just check my emails and pick up some clients who are looking for a PSW to come in.
Management is awful, and speaking to them about scheduling conflicts/client issues is extremely frustrating as they don't truly listen. Problems rarely get fixed.
The best part of the jobs is interacting with the clients. You can meet some great people who genuinely enjoy your presence. It makes you feel great!
Although, you do have some clients who have dirty homes or are rude. But as with all jobs, I understand that not everyone you come across will be pleasant.
Pros
Interacting with clients, pay is good, can pick up hours
Cons
Poor management, impossible to take vacation, dirty homes
COMMUNICATION
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 8, 2015
PARAMED IS A GREAT PLACEW TO WORK, ALTHOUGH THEIR DID NOT OFFER ANY INCENTIVES TO INCREASE WAGES OR KEEP YOUR INTEREST IN MORE HOURS, WORK LOADS BECAME MORE THAN WHAT IT WAS WORTH AT TIMES BUT THE CLIENTS WERE THE ONES YOU HAD TO FOCUS ON. I WOULD RETURN TO WORK THERE AGAIN.
Pros
time off, quick schedule changes
Cons
wages, communication, management, support for psw's not there
woorst company to work for
Home support worker (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 3, 2016
I started working for paramed back in 2015, and recently quit. I was originally hired full time but received part time hours.in order to make a living you literally have to work yourself to death starting from 7am - 11pm with lots of odd half hour breaks here and there .. the breaks sound great right. But in all honesty, you never have enough time for your own personal life with this company, and they are not understanding to that.

Management and supervisors are the WORST. they pick favourites, they bully their staff, and they almost NEVER show any appreciation for any amount of work you will ever do for them. The first two weeks I worked for them, I didn't receive a pay cheque. They told me their computers screwed up, and I had to wait an extra 5 days to receive my cheque. The following two weeks on my next pay day it happened again. And just recently they did it to me another two times. One cheque they only paid me half my hours, and the next cheque wasn't in my account in general in which I had to get higher management involved. Because of these screw up I had late fees on bills, I got Nsfs on my accounts in which paramed did not go good for.

I worked for paramed for 9 months and was supposed to receive benefits after three. I asked in two occasions about getting my benefits in which managment told me they'd look into It but would never get back to me with a straight answer.

If you enjoy being degraded, not appreciated, screwed over, and disrespected this is the company to work for. Highly un recommended, even to the general public.
Pros
no pros
Cons
bad management
Office Coordinators play favourites/ hours not consistant
Psw (Former Employee) –  OshawaNovember 19, 2015
I worked for Paramed for a year I had to leave due to the awful hours same with a few other psw's i knew, I would advise I was available morning till night and they think its okay to scheduel someone 2 hours in the morning be off for hours work 1 off another hour and then work 3 very awful scheduling, some staff in the office were very nice but the coordinators are not good at what they do. Clients I had for months would all of a sudden be off my schedule with no explanation they wouldnt try to fill empty spots they pay did increase after I left but I took a lower paying job so I could have consitant hours. If you want to work morning till night for 5-6 hours this would be for you I couldnt justify spending my entire day waiting around to work. Also evening I would work I went from 3.5 hours work to 1 never trying to add more hours it made no sense to stay and work for such little hours yet they are always asking for people to pick up shifts they should get rid of the psw that call in always and give the hours to those who want it and they are always hireing for what?? the current employees want more hours !! I would have loved to stay if the coordinators were consistant they definatley play favourites and give the clients to certain people its unfair. the clients were awesome though and
Pros
clients
Cons
scheduling/ office staff
Great workplace but highly stressful
Assignment Coordinator/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 1, 2015
I have learned a lot with ParaMed, the training was very helpful but i helt like it was short.
Its a very fast past, stressful environment, working all together to service the help that clients need is the best part about the job, because I enjoy helping others especially in the health care industry
At ParaMed the team is great always there to give you a helping hand when needed.
The gossip is probably the worst part about having to hear everyone talk bad about everyone
The hardest part about the job is having to always keep on top of staff not to book off because of the short staff we have and trying to keep all our clients happy along with still having more clients every day being added to our service, everyone is always so tense and stressing over if the client is getting seen on time and if not management is putting up a fight to get someone one in there when we are always short staff.
Pros
the team work
Cons
Being on call everyday, and short staff the company has.
Understanding and fun place to work.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 27, 2014
Productive, friendly, understanding and fun place to work. The staffs at ParaMed are very helpful, willing to work with your availability. They sometimes have BBQ at the office for the staffs.
Pros
free bbq and lots of free education classes to in-prove your skills as a personal support worker
Cons
long hours on the weekends
They were excellent with there employees
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONAugust 13, 2012
I only worked with ParaMed for a short time but within that time the company is extremely organized and making sure you got your hours. The co-workers were extremely helpful at all times. I enjoyed meeting new clients and returning to clients that I got to know. I learned so much at ParaMed, it was my first job going from home to home and it was an excellent experience. I learned that a friendly smile goes a long way no matter how the client is feeling. If you are friendly and pleasant they seem to perk up right away. The hardest part off my job was leaving. I left because we moved.
Very hard and demanding work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
I start at 5:45 in the morning and before lunch time I´m home, it´s very hard and demanding job, working with people at every age, I basically work alone with my pacients.
Cons
hardly any hours and long drives.