ParaMed

ParaMed Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
COMMUNICATION
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 8, 2015
Pros: time off, quick schedule changes
Cons: wages, communication, management, support for psw's not there
PARAMED IS A GREAT PLACEW TO WORK, ALTHOUGH THEIR DID NOT OFFER ANY INCENTIVES TO INCREASE WAGES OR KEEP YOUR INTEREST IN MORE HOURS, WORK LOADS BECAME MORE THAN WHAT IT WAS WORTH AT TIMES BUT THE CLIENTS WERE THE ONES YOU HAD TO FOCUS ON. I WOULD RETURN TO WORK THERE AGAIN.
Great clients,bad management
Psw (Current Employee), Oshawa,onFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great clients
Cons: cold, unapproachable management
if it weren't for my wonderful clients,I think I would have quit this company a long time ago.Management is cold,and unapproachable.I am constantly advocating for my clients,and it always falls on deaf ears.Their sole job seems to be determining which clients hours they can cut,even though a lot of my clients need more help.Also,we waited 6 yeas for a raise.After 6 years they offered us a measly 20 cents an hour.Thank god the government finally stepped in to get us the raises we deserve.All in all,I feel unappreciated,and undervalued.They seem to treat their nurses a lot better than the PSWs.I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Very hard and demanding work
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 1, 2015
Cons: hardly any hours and long drives.
I start at 5:45 in the morning and before lunch time I´m home, it´s very hard and demanding job, working with people at every age, I basically work alone with my pacients.
Empowering and caring
Supply EA (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
This is a phenomenal place to spend time. The staff care about every child in the school. They provide such exceptional care while promoting independence.
Understanding and fun place to work.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 27, 2014
Pros: free bbq and lots of free education classes to in-prove your skills as a personal support worker
Cons: long hours on the weekends
Productive, friendly, understanding and fun place to work. The staffs at ParaMed are very helpful, willing to work with your availability. They sometimes have BBQ at the office for the staffs.
Field work provides independent work environment.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), North Bay, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Cons: no employee opportunity to provide feedback on scheduling discrepancies.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the positive impact I have on my clients.
Great job if you enjoy living in poverty!
Psw (Current Employee), Oshawa,ONFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: nice clients, flexible hours
Cons: terrible pay checks, always begging for hours, no respect from management
This is a dead end job!no wage increases,paying for most of my gas out of my own pocket,as paramed only pays a small portion of what I use.have to use my own cellphone minutes to call clients,even though nurses can use the company's phone.have to track down a supervisor for cupboard key anytime you need gloves,even though nurses can help themselves.when I lost my dad I got no bereavement pay,not even a sympathy card.no pension plan or sick days,always begging for hours,even though I've worked my butt off for them for years.they treat their psws shamefully!without the hardworking frontline workers like us these well paid managers wouldn't have a job.disgraceful!
Not a lot of support from co-workers
Visiting Nurse (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: great for working within my availability
Cons: lack of communication
Didn't find that staff worked together very well, not a lot of communication. Management not always approachable, therefore felt like I was really working on my own.
rating 4 good place to work, make sure staff/nurses are happy and fair wages
home support worker level 3 (Former Employee), Belleville, ONOctober 2, 2012
Pros: self satisfaction, client satisfied with care, good wages, great management and support.
Cons: no work available when graduated.
as a psw your scheduled is made up for you with times to visit. Help out the client with their daily hygiene routines and activities of daily living eg. food prep, cleaning etc. working closely with management for ADL help eg. grab bars if needed or nursing staff needed.

I have learned many things with clients adjustments from eg. surgery, falls, stroke etc. Their coping strategies and changes that are made to help cope.

Management worked well as a team here. My only regret is not waiting for a nurse position with this company when graduated.

Co-workers great. Good teamwork makes a huge difference!

Hardest part of this job was leaving, with no nursing work available.

Most enjoyable part was satisfaction of the client. Your self esteem grows on this! I have had many client say thank you for listening!
They were excellent with there employees
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee), Pickering, ONAugust 13, 2012
I only worked with ParaMed for a short time but within that time the company is extremely organized and making sure you got your hours. The co-workers were extremely helpful at all times. I enjoyed meeting new clients and returning to clients that I got to know. I learned so much at ParaMed, it was my first job going from home to home and it was an excellent experience. I learned that a friendly smile goes a long way no matter how the client is feeling. If you are friendly and pleasant they seem to perk up right away. The hardest part off my job was leaving. I left because we moved.
Good for the experience
CLERICAL COORDINATOR (Former Employee), OttawaJuly 3, 2012
Pros: the pay
Cons: working every single weekend
In my time at Paramed, they were very secretive, would hire people without giving you the chance for advancement and did not take into consideration people's home life for scheduling. If you worked weekends, you worked every weekend, not just every second.
They constantly critisize the two teams (eg afterhours and daytime Coordinators) which makes for a stressful work environment.
They also critisize your skills but refuse to spend time actually training with you.
Management seems to go through many candidates for the position. In 8 months, there were 3 Office Managers, 1 of which was brought in as a layover. The district manager was brought in from another location as well.
Coworkers were fun to work with, while some others talked about you behind your back which you will find in every office environment, but they don't seem to stop it at the source there.
It turns into bullying very fast.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when you worked with the people you were most comfortable with and they would help whenever need be, and you helped each other get the work done that was needed.
You ended up being more appreciatable of others rather than the actual company which made the job enjoyable.
Home care, is gratifying.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee), North Bay, OntarioNovember 27, 2011
Pros: health care, the people you support.
Cons: unstable hours.
You have to be able to work on your own with no supervision. There is always someone to ask questions to for verification. Must be pleasant and be able to provide assistance to people in there own home. Must have your own transportation.