Paragon Security

Paragon Security Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Another below average security company in the crowd
Security guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: not much to say
Cons: endless cons..
I am working for Paragon and have been with the company since 2009. At my workplace I have been "written up"/warned about the most stupid little things, and this seems to be the normal way to handle/control guards instead of just taking a talk face to face and get things corrected. I try my best to do a good job, and all i receive is negative vibrations from my incompetent Site Supervisor and the client service manager, who btw. is a big joke. Where do the company find these csm's?
At least I have an excellent salary of $11.25 an hour! My biggest problem is how to invest this huge amount every payday? Well, to be honest, when my normal bills are paid, I almost need to go to the food bank to get something to eat.
How come that Paragon and the security business have so lousy wages?
We guards are put on the front line day in and out, and no one ever thanks us for the work we do. We get endless complaints from visitors, contractors, the client and our own supervisors/csm's, a little "job well done" from time to time would make a huge difference.
But I guess this is the nature of the job. Get hired, get a lousy salary, listen to complaints all day long and get written up, until the day you are transferred to another site or fired from the company.
I good place to work to learn responsibility and security procedures.
Security Guard (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Not really physically tiring.
Cons: You have to working weekends and holidays.
On a typical day, you have to complete building inspections, sign in and out contractors and cleaning employees, and go for hourly patrols to make sure the mall is in good order. The co-workers you work with are very friendly and helpful and will assist you when their help is needed. My supervisor was strict when he needed to be, but was also a good person to work with. He was firm, but fair. The hardest part of the job was on the days when you have to work by yourself and a situation arises where you need another security guard to back you up. In those situations, Police would need to be called if a situation was too dangerous for one person to handle. The most enjoyable part of the job is to go on exterior and interior mall patrols to see if the mall is in proper order.
Fast paced working enviornment where planning prevention strategies are key.
Security guard (Current Employee), Victoria Park and SteelesOctober 14, 2012
Pros: keeps you on your toes
Cons: taxes
My current position in security is one of the more detailed outfits I have ever worked for. A regular day entails guards running the front desk reception area which is the nucleus of four massive buildings. At his particular posting one is required to keep in constant update with building operations staff to gain information on building statutes and update them on work orders being sent in via email. While one does this they also record times of patrol that the other guard is away from the desk doing. Also deal with parking issues, because you are the only one who has control over parking gates. Then finally deal with indivduals and their inquires and various contractors. Also alarms constantly come in through our alarm systems, those also have to be looked after.
Good working environment with good management team
Concierge (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 2, 2013
Pros: union-job security
Cons: low pay
As a security guard working in a condo the main focus is on access control and issuing parking passes to visitors. Also greeting residents as they come home.

I learned how to communicate with different people from all walks of life while strengthining my computer skills.

The managment team is good. Members from the management team will come by to check up on their employees. However, management does not like to give raises.

My co-workers are very professional and fun to be around, however not all sites are the same as my current site.

The job is not hard at all. I believe that with a little training anybody can do this job.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting the chance to interact with the residents. Some really interesting coversations.
Pretty mundane on midight shift
Security Guard (Former Employee), Condominium at Old Mill stationMay 6, 2015
Pros: easy going on midnights and ressdents were friendly
Cons: 12 hour weekend shifts, 3 out 4 weekends
Condominium Concierge, greets visitors and residents and does access control at front desk. Calls up residents to get clearance for guest to enter. receives and signs for deliveries then organizes them for pick -up and notifies residents, Patrols Condominium, once a shift during slow times. Keeps a logbook hourly and writes reports on special circumstances that may occur such as accidents and incidents. keeps a sharp look out for residents in need of assistance or trouble.This is solitary work with just you and the clients and management occasionally visiting.I worked the midnight shift and the hardest part was 3 out 4 weekends were 12 hour shifts back to back.
productive company
Security Guard (Current Employee), North York, ONDecember 14, 2015
Pros: Good People working there at all Levels
Cons: Sure there are some but not many
Paragon is a good place if you are looking for a job in the security industry there staff are upbeat and friendly. A work day is what you make it as you will start as a floater and work your way to a full time sight. The more shifts you are open to doing the faster you will get a full time sight. Learned better time management skills and situation awareness, CPR First aid, MS Word. Co workers are usually professional and well kept and over all good people. The hardest part of the job is the hours sometimes the hours can be very bad but comes with the territory of working security. Enjoyable parts of the job include helping people, patrolling walking around and just the over all interaction.
High-paced and interesting job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 3, 2014
A typical day includes area patrols, access checks and construction inspections as well as interaction with the public

This job provided me with me with a vast understanding and familiarity with the corporate culture of the financial district and the high-pace of the downtown core.

Management was professional, part of the team, and willing to take full control and responsibility in times of crisis or emergency.

Coworkers were all trained professionals and capable of all duties required.

The most difficult part of that job was the intensity and high-paced atmosphere which requires improvisational skills and thinking on your feet.

The most enjoyable part of the job is related to the high-paced atmosphere. No two days are alike.
security guard
security guard (Former Employee), corus entertainmentNovember 25, 2013
The management is good and cooperative. When they just start a new site then things really sucks. Paragon just got a new
contract with a new site which was secured by g4s before. They keep same g4s few employes on the site. There is totally mismanagement is going on the site. The supervisor do not know how to manage a site. He is not providing proper information to the guards working there. If something wrong happens then they blame the guards. The stupid maintenance monitor the security like the thieves. The security is on site to secure the site.
The management really needs to know what is going on the site
The stupid maintenance is blaming new guards instead of site supervisor. The corus entertainment site really sucks.
Director of Security Services in Toronto's financial district
Director of Security Services (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 10, 2013
Functioning as a Director of Security at King and University in Toronto was always exciting, fulfilling and a non-stop learning opportunity. This is critical infrastructure that constitutes the country's economic engine. The professional, dynamic, fast paced environment was incredibly stimulating.

Normally as a live-in contractor, the relationship has limited boundaries of authority. I was fortunate enough to serve Bentall Kennedy on many corporate levels, outside my daily Director role on site. Unfortunately, because Bentall Kennedy does not include Security in the company's strategic design, there is no opportunity for advancement.
Learn something new everyday
SECURITY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), ThornhillSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: meet new people, work as a team member as well as individual, deal with new people on daily basis, deal with contractors on daily basis.
Cons: it is hard to keep everyone happy.
The day usually starts pretty busy everyday. I have learned a lot of people skills working this job. I have to take care of 236 suites in the building. I have to be on top of 12 people who are working under me to make sure everyone is giving their 100% in the job. The hardest part of the job would be keeping everyone happy in the place. The most enjoyable part would be meeting new people everyday. I have a very good staff and my management is very happy with me.
Some good Some bad Same old Same old
security (Current Employee), Durham Region, ONDecember 16, 2015
Pros: Hours and above averge pay
Cons: Training or lack of availablity
22 years and 7 companies later I had been informed by current employees how much better Paragon was compared to other companies. So after working for a year I still see to same things in Paragon as every other company. I've ask to receive paragon training during this year and only recieved my first aid re-cert. For the most part when I have asked or inquired with management thw response is quick. Pay is a little better than more in the region I work in. Hours are in no short supply basic 40 hours up to some weeks 60 if I want
Amazing management, great place to work.
Security Guard (Current Employee), Welland, ONOctober 12, 2015
Pros: amazing people
Cons: Night shift
I have learned so much from working at this company and i am hoping it will continue with my into my future. From how to handle emergencies to how to use an excel spreadsheet. My management team here at the college are very hard working individuals that care about their employees as well as management at Paragon. They take pride in what we do as guards. My co-workers are more then employees, they are friends, everyone gets along. The hardest part of my job is night shift, i struggle with staying up all night.
Fast pace work!
Patrol Supervisor (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 24, 2013
Pros: taught me basics of accounting
Pizza depo was a very knowledgeable experience. It was my first job in which I learned how to manage a store and take the business into my own hands. Here I learned the basics of accounting; how to how to manage accounts, how to read the lost and profits sheets and to see how much the revenue the store has earned. Since I was the store manager I kept my respect with the employees, I was very helpful and helped the store as much as I could. The toughest part of the job was the hours since I couldn’t find enough time for my education.
Good site to work at
Security Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2012
Pros: client and residents were very nice
Cons: very busy
Updated residents information on Excel
Attended management meetings with concerns or to get updates for the desk Concierge Access Control – Provided excellent Customer Service for residents in dealing with couriers, packages, mail, laundry drop offs
Handled tenant complaints at the desk or on the phone as well as public parking issues and documented all incidents according to policies and procedures
Trained new guards for site patrol, desk duties and Front Desk application on windows
productive and busy
Team Administrator (Former Employee), North York, ONJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: laid back
Cons: politics
Paragon was a good place to work at first, you got your job done and it was a laid back atmosphere. After a while in the office you learn to see the politics between people mostly management. It seems to be if you keep away from them it is ok.
There was never a formal performance review done in the 9 months that I worked there. Informal review was done and followed up on but no record.
Things are promised to guards and staff but are not seen through (raises, promotions, change in positions)
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 21, 2015
Every time I come in to work I would greet every residence with a smile. I enjoyed the company of every residence. I learned the qualities of various different cultures. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and management. Management was really helpful when I was in need of more shifts. I think the hardest part of being a concierge is ensuring everyones safety while performing day to day tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be meeting new people and speaking with residence.
good work with interesting people
Security Guard Conestoga Mall (Former Employee), waterloo ontMay 28, 2013
Pros: the people i worked with
Cons: licence renewal
• Duties included interior and exterior foot patrols.
• Exterior mobile patrol.
• Also responsible for monitoring cameras in the camera room.
• Other duties included: Maintaining the safety of others on property, and the property it self.
• Arrests or assist in arrest being made.
• Customer service as well as being an ambassador of the company.
• First Aid and CPR certified
• LSC (Handcuff) training certified
• WHMIS training
Always had somewhere to work and management was always helpful
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2013
A typical day was day to day operations, I learned patience, training skills, CCTV, security systems and customer service skills. The management is good they try to help out as much as they can. Co- workers were generally good, some of the guards had problems with me being younger and in charge. Hardest part was being the lesion between security management and property management. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting great people.
Work place had not the conditions to perform security duties properly.
Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 18, 2015
Pros: Security Officer can created a new ways to perform duties and development ideas.
Cons: Post orders did not go to the reality on the daily basis
Paragon has a good training department, however when people are deployed to the security services posts, everything change dramatically. There is a lack of supervision, and communication between CEO's and security supervisors and guards. Post orders are opposite to the reality.
Decent work setting but unreliable company
Full-time security guard and patrol officer (Former Employee), North York, ONAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Free CPR recertification
Cons: Bad communication with employees
The company's headquarters were slow to respond to calls and emails regarding pay and probation. So, I was on probation with this company for over six months (probation period is 3 months) when I decided to leave the company. The job site was relaxed however the main company could use some major improvement in communication.
Headquarters