Cost Analyst NOC: 1112
Location: Richmond, BC
Reports to: Controller
The Cost Analyst provides business support to the mills and financial management team, conducts detailed cost research, competitor comparison, studies and analyzes various costs, including cost accounting prior to shipping to provide information and insights about company expenses, control costs and determine profitability margins.
- Revenue recognition and forecasting for business units to provide planning, overall profitability and pricing analysis.
- Participate in cost-reduction initiatives.
- Conduct research, analyze the variance between costs and standard costs, and explain variances
- Develop and establish standard costs
- Determine the cost of purchased and manufactured products and services
- Draw up the budget, overhead rates, and forecasts.
- Work with the finance department to implement and apply cost accounting policies and procedures
- Analyze and explain corporate performance (e.g. variances, spoiled units, subcontracting)
- Prepare the forecasted financial statements and analysis reports (management, profitability)
- Supervise audit files
- Participate in various corporate projects requiring a financial evaluation
- Train certain managers (e.g. production, quality, cost drivers and variances) in good cost management practices
- Support month-end close and special projects
- Support Controller’s efforts for implementing and maintaining internal controls for operations, sales, transportation, and finance.
- Act as liaison with corporate financial staff, as required
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, specializing in financial and cost accounting
- Studies in foreign trade
- Minimum 3 years in a Cost Analyst position in a manufacturing environment.
- Exposure to manufacturing departments/staff/activities, cost accounting, reporting and variance analysis.
Other Skills and Requirements
- Familiarity with advanced accounting software and cost management software
- Strong knowledge of cost accounting and financial reporting is also required.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite, more specifically Excel
- Understanding of database principles
- Ability to support a cross-functional plant management team.
- Proven ability to prioritize objectives and duties.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound planning and organizational skills.
Email resume with subject line "Cost Analyst"