Papa John's
1,697 reviews

Papa John's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
poor care and training of employees, too much concern for sales dollers and not eough concern for achieving high quality products.
General Manager (Former Employee), Taber, ABJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: never being able to turn off my phone
A typical day began with inspecting the store for cleanliness, levels of prepared products and reviewing the paperwork of the night before. Next step was to remove dough from the cooler so it could warm up and be the proper temperature for cooking. Then i would start my sinks in the dish pit to do dishes i would need to have clean to make pizzas and – more... prepare toppings for the day. Last thing i would do is call my delivery driver to be sure i had one. Even though the town's average pay rate for delivery driving is between $7.00 and $9.00 per delivery our owners insist on paying our drivers $4.00 per delivery wich made it next to imposssible to keep drivers let alone hire ones that would represent ppj's properly. i would then spend the day preping and cleaning and solving problems as they came up. Twice a week i would wrestle with a too small budget to re-supply the store and once every 2 weeks i would make up the schedule. Every employee was expected to be able to handle store at any time by themselves regardless of training or experience. I was expected to be availible to come in at anytime to rescue them (not an issue with me) but an issue that could have been resolved better if the owner was willing to spend the money and time on better training and more hours for the employees to improve their levels of experience. Hardest part was juggling ppj's expectaions with my owners expectations with what was phiscally possible by my employees and I. The people themselves that i worked with were the most enjoyable part of this job and the next, was the reponsibility of being a manager. – less
Even paced steady work environment!
Cook/Dish Washer/Customer Service (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKDecember 6, 2012
Day to day work was to make,prepare and store pizza dough. Sauce and put toppings on the pizzas according to the order and cook them. work the cashier and provide the best customer service possible. The management was layed back and often off there feet when it came to there duties such as providing work materials.
My co workers were easy to get along – more... with and did there part.
The hardest part of the job was cleaning the oven every time it needed to be cleaned. The best part of the job for me was preparing the pizzas to be cooked. – less
Easygoing workplace with friendly a staff!
Cook/Dish Washer/Customer Service (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: layed back and fun work
Cons: not enough hours
it was a good working environment, never had any problems and the job was fairly layed back but i did not enjoy the lack of hours with this job!
pizza and customers equal pride in product
Store Manager (Former Employee), brantford ontarioApril 10, 2012
team oriented. customer oriented. product quality is above many many pizza places.
Fun company to grow with
Manager (Former Employee), Battle Creek, MIOctober 28, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere, flexible hours
Cons: lack of vacations and health care
I loved working at Papa Johns, I worked at three different stores and for several different managers. The one thing that stayed constant was that I was treated like a person and not a number. I actually regret leaving this company and miss it very much.
Good people
Driver (Former Employee), Warrensburg, MOOctober 26, 2014
You work with good people, but poor upper management. Upper management could be aloof frequently and not meet individual stores needs
fast paced and fun
in store/cashier (Former Employee), West Lawn, PAOctober 26, 2014
Pros: a lot of fun, fast paced, easy work
Cons: when it got busy, it got really busy
The biggest benefit of working at Papa John's was that it was such a small work building that you got to know all the people around you. Working in a pizza shop requires that you trust the people around you and work as a team to get the job done. Every person was needed, and no one was more essential than the next.
horriable managment
Cashier (Former Employee), Hollywood, FLOctober 25, 2014
They were really un humanistic, low wages and way to much work.
work
driver/Cashier (Former Employee), York, SCOctober 24, 2014
Pros: it is a paycheck
Cons: pay should be higher
hard work that is constant, low pay, rude supervisors, no flexibility, insurance available but they lay you off before it starts then call you back months later
Productive workplace
Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 24, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: fast food, short breaks
I would come in like two hours early to start prepping and set up to start my day. I learn a lot from this job never worked at a pizza place before so I learn how to slap the dough, Prep, inventory, make schedule, and ect. I worked with some of the most difficult people that you can imagine but they all were nice, friendly, helpful, and sweet as they – more... can be once you get to know them. The hardest part of working here was keeping calm in a difficult situation with some people. The most enjoyable part about working here was moving up to a higher position less than 3 months of working here and my crew. – less
Stressful and busy workplace at times
In-Store (Current Employee), Pawtucket RI, 02861October 23, 2014
Pros: free pizza, somewhat flexible schedule
Cons: few to no breaks at all. co-workers call out too often without being reprimanded.
A day at Papa Johns isn't too bad, despite not having any breaks or such. Sometimes the management fails to buy enough inventory and we run out of essential ingredients on our busiest days (weekends). The only best part about working at Papa Johns is making pizza, I love it!
Fun Workplace
Delivery Route Driver (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAOctober 23, 2014
Very productive company to work for. A chance to learn different things.
YOU DONT GET PAID WHAT YOUR WORTH
Crew Member (Former Employee), Pendleton, INOctober 23, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: nothing
the job at papa johns is horrible .. its like ur a slave to the pizzas .. u have to make pizza, slap dough, answer phones, take pizza in and out the oven, cut the pizza and all for 7.25 an hour .. thats BS
ok job
delivery driver (Current Employee), Fairfield, CAOctober 22, 2014
This job is ok if you can not find anything else it can be fun and crazy sometime
Fun work enviroment with good product.
Insider, Driver, Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Mount Dora, FLOctober 22, 2014
I really enjoyed working for this company. Great fun enviroment with awesome people.
Horrible Enviornment to work in
Delivery Driver/Cook (Former Employee), Blaine, MNOctober 21, 2014
Pros: 50% off
Cons: no breaks, not enough hours
Working in Papa johns made me not want to work with food ever again. They are horrible with hours for everyone and they are not willing to work with you in case of a family emergency. The general manager of the store I worked in was rude and disrespectful.
fast paced work environemnt
In Store Associate (Former Employee), Shawnee, KSOctober 21, 2014
If you've worked in any pizza joint, you know that there is lots of fun to be had. What sets Papa John's apart is a quality product and team. The employees genuinely care about not only their "masterpiece" but also the service they are providing. Great place to work.
Laid back atmosphere, good management, clean envionment
Driver (Former Employee), Reston, VAOctober 20, 2014
Typical shift is spent delivering and packing up deliveries
Fun, friendly and supportive team, hard work and teamwork
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee), Surbiton, ENGOctober 19, 2014
Cons: evening hours.
Typical day at work usually started at 18:00 o'clock, when most of the evening staff comes in. Besides performing our primary function - making fast, high quality pizzas, we also are assigned to various daily cleaning tasks in the shop. Our managers carefully crafter a list of daily chores for a whole week and aren't afraid to get their hands floury – more... from slapping dough or soapy from washing dirty topping boxes. Coworkers are trully a helping hand whenever someone's needs a help. Besides being friendly and optimistic, staff also is hardworking and extremely customer-oriented. Probably the hardest part of this job was during the busy periods e.g. football matches, fests in town or overall beautiful and warm summer days. On the other hand, being able to greet a customer with a warm and freshly made pizza is the best feeling ever. – less
Great Place, Needs Work
Shift Manager (Former Employee), Lonetree, COOctober 18, 2014
Pros: experience, customer interaction, promotion possibilities
Cons: constant turnover, no organization in management, lack of a team (the "me" mentality)
Walking into the stores as a manager is a task that can not be taken lightly. Things are always in constant motion, and there is always something to do. The cleanliness was always a top priority so every day making sure that something got deep cleaned or reorganized was on the list. The employees are hired as warm bodies to fill a simple task of delivering – more... or making pizzas, so training the ever changing staff was an every day task.
I learned a lot in my time at Papa John's. I was training to be a GM and took every opportunity to learn something new. I was in charge of hiring new employees at one point and took every opportunity to learn new ways of interviewing and sorting potential hires. I learned about business strategy at a higher level, and management of individual stores in the area (Profit/loss statements). I also learned that there were limits to what I could take as a lower level employee. I pushed my own responsibilities too far and allowed myself to take too much of a work load on my own shoulders.
I was working 60+ hours per week and spent more time in the store than the actual GM of the location. It got to the point where select employees were calling me the GM and referred to the store as "my store".
I believe the hardest part for me was the realization that the upper management was neglecting very important aspects of the job. It even was so bad at one point that employees were stealing money and food products as well as trashing the store on purpose. Even when I brought proof of these actions there was hesitation in the termination of said employees. To me this seems like a bad policy and should be reevaluated.
The workers of Papa Johns range from young school kids who just want the job as a stepping stone to something better in life, and the older veterans who want a stable income to support their families. Given this wide span of employees there is a large gap in care and concern for the company and decent work ethics. This is one job where you need to judge who cares and who doesn't and proceed with them accordingly. If employees don't care, give them small tasks and a lot of direction, keep them on their toes, constantly moving so they don't get too distracted. Keep training at the forefront of their minds, and push them to be better, let them know it is a great company and they can even try to make it further if they are willing. For the employees that care and show concern, see what you can do to get them involved in as much management/delegation as possible. Let them be a large part of the every day work environment. Train them on harder tasks, let them in on business secrets and see if you can promote them through the ranks if they show the proper aptitudes and willingness.
Overall the experience makes you have to think on your feet all the time. In order to keep the place running smoothly problems will arise and the fires need to be put out in a speedy manner, so thinking too long on some matters will make it difficult. Being able to think quickly and settle problems makes the job easier. Be ready to have to put out fires with multiple customers as well as team members. Always keep the attitude in the place a light and hearty one. Patience plays a key role in working at Papa Johns. – less

About Papa John's

Papa John's Pizza is the third largest take-out and delivery pizza restaurant chain in the United States, behind Pizza Hut and – Read more