Papa John's

2.7K reviews

Papa John's Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
poor care and training of employees, too much concern for sales dollers and not eough concern for achieving high quality products.
General Manager (Former Employee), Taber, ABJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: experience
Cons: never being able to turn off my phone
A typical day began with inspecting the store for cleanliness, levels of prepared products and reviewing the paperwork of the night before. Next step was to remove dough from the cooler so it could warm up and be the proper temperature for cooking. Then i would start my sinks in the dish pit to do dishes i would need to have clean to make pizzas and prepare toppings for the day. Last thing i would do is call my delivery driver to be sure i had one. Even though the town's average pay rate for delivery driving is between $7.00 and $9.00 per delivery our owners insist on paying our drivers $4.00 per delivery wich made it next to imposssible to keep drivers let alone hire ones that would represent ppj's properly. i would then spend the day preping and cleaning and solving problems as they came up. Twice a week i would wrestle with a too small budget to re-supply the store and once every 2 weeks i would make up the schedule. Every employee was expected to be able to handle store at any time by themselves regardless of training or experience. I was expected to be availible to come in at anytime to rescue them (not an issue with me) but an issue that could have been resolved better if the owner was willing to spend the money and time on better training and more hours for the employees to improve their levels of experience. Hardest part was juggling ppj's expectaions with my owners expectations with what was phiscally possible by my employees and I. The people themselves that i worked with were the most enjoyable part of this job and the next, was the reponsibility of being a manager.
Productive as well as an educational environment
Manager (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 30, 2015
Pros: Friendly Environment
Cons: -
A typical day at work would consist of preparing daily routines while reducing and controlling expenses by following labor costs. Input inventory as well as input and output transfers. Handle as well as output payroll to contract drivers. Switch over shift by counting down tills, counting all cash drops to accurately match the system cash management. Order from venders. Train as well as manage staff to allow effective teamwork. Direct on floor staff to create productive dynamics and increase business goals. Work with profit system to monitor daily goals, open restaurant, track staff hours, input cash, output cash, input inventory, process transfers, calculate contract drivers payroll, create prep list, create roster reports, create bank deposits, receive as well as complete customer orders. Ensure customer relations, satisfaction and needs are met on a day to day basis. The hardest part of my job is being able to provide the correct form of guidance, suited to each employee, to steer workers in the right direction for ultimate success based on their strengths and weakness'. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing my co-workers are able to confide in me to bring forth issues that need resolving and being able to interact on a one on one basis with new customers each day allowing our business to have and to expand with great reputation.
Productive, easy-going-fast-paced-and fun environment.
Cashier/ Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 27, 2014
Pros: discounts, free lunches
A typical day at work would include arriving there fifteen minutes early to put on required uniform provided from Papa John's, and self-bought khakis and black shoes. Clock-in at scheduled time, and start preparing and cooking ordered food, so it can be ready for pick-up or delivery.

Cooking would include following standard health codes such as serving sizes, throwing away expired food and replacing it with fresh food, setting the stove to the perfect temperature for cooking, washing hands after every completed task, and cleaning the food station. Cooks are also required to work at the cash register when needed, of course, after they wash there hands completely.

Co-workers were a variety of young-adults, and adults. People whom were older in age were typically managers. Everyone was relatively friendly, and professional at the workplace and worked with urgency to get the job done.

The hardest part of the job, anyone would agree, would be difficult customers. Difficult customers aren't just coming with complaints, which would be easy to deal with, but they come with raised voices and threats. But this seldom occurred, due to customer service

The most enjoyable part of the job was how nice people are at the workplace, and how well everyone worked together, people never started work drama or harassed anyone.
Productive and fast-paced environment to work in.
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABJune 26, 2014
Pros: 50 percent off when staffs order food.
Cons: when the communication systems are down.
My typical day starts as opening the store in the morning, counting float cash register, switch all the machines for daily operation, preparing the mis-en plus such as food preps. check any planned ahead order for the day. My co-workers are very hard working and friendly to work with. The hardest part of the day would be when sometimes one has to work alone in the afternoon and there might be a rush and the person has cope up all alone. The most enjoyable part is the rush hour where orders keeps coming, phones are continuously ringing to place orders, customers are lining up inside the store to order or to pick up their pizza orders. It is a quite challenging situation and time pass by quickly.
Even paced steady work environment!
Cook/Dish Washer/Customer Service (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKDecember 6, 2012
Day to day work was to make,prepare and store pizza dough. Sauce and put toppings on the pizzas according to the order and cook them. work the cashier and provide the best customer service possible. The management was layed back and often off there feet when it came to there duties such as providing work materials.
My co workers were easy to get along with and did there part.
The hardest part of the job was cleaning the oven every time it needed to be cleaned. The best part of the job for me was preparing the pizzas to be cooked.
Energetic people with innovative solutions.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Dieppe, NBJuly 14, 2014
Pros: free lunches and tips.
Cons: always night shift and cant take breaks in restaurant business.
Having to come to work in a face-past environment. Training new employees and dealing with the delivery services. The hardest part of the job was telling people what to do, but it's something I learnt to handle well. Management could be confusing, working with young students and some car problems can occur in the delivery business, so we had a lot of people on call.
It was my first job
Cash register and customer service (Former Employee), spruce grove albertaJune 2, 2014
Pros: free pizza. first job
Cons: not great pay
Working at papa johns was a good experience being my first job. i worked there for approximately 10 to 11 months. i then got a job that summer at Sportchek where i worked both for 3 weeks. I then left because of some issues between my self and the owner over the cleanliness of the food that he was serving. i am an honest person and don't care for store owners lying to his/her costumers.
Fun people, bad work conditions
Closing manager (Former Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 5, 2015
Pros: 50% discount on all food items
Cons: Poor management
I enjoyed the people I worked with during the time I was employed at Papa Johns however the management was horrible. Half the time I would not get paid the full amount I worked and had to confront my boss about it. There was no security cameras installed which I found a big issue. I also found myself bullied by the boss on several occasions.
A fun workplace
In Store (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: Free 10 inch pizza
Cons: Free 10 inch pizza
Work hours are not that long and are negotiable with the manager. My time management has greatly improved. Co-workers are nice and are willing to switch shifts/take over shifts when you need them too. The best part of the job is the laid back atmosphere once the orders slow down and the seriousness of it when it gets busy again.
Fun workplace, terrible management
Shift Leader (Current Employee), London, ONJune 28, 2015
Pros: Lots of pizza
Cons: Very busy and understaffed often
- Started with a dinner rush
- Slight break until the student late night study rush would hit
- Management was very bad, untrained, abusive
- Fellow employees were amazing, great group of people
- Hardest part was a non compliant boss
- Best part was the co-workers
relaxed workplace and friendly co-workers
Former employee (Former Employee), Trenton, ONApril 22, 2015
Pros: discount on pizza
Cons: got very busy sometimes
Overall great experience with employment and management team. I was treated well and the people were extremely friendly. I learned how to speak to customers and provide quality customer service.
Unpleasent to work at a store where everyone just speaks in their language and not English
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Free pizza now and then
Cons: Awful workplace environment
Always ended up receiving contradicting instructions from different people and often in a language I don't understand.
A very nice place to work.
cook/cashier/inventory counter/dish washer (Former Employee), Airdrie, ABSeptember 28, 2013
A typical day: answering phones, taking orders, slapping dough, making pizza, cutting pizza, sweeping/mopping floors, inventory counting, stocking inventory, cleaning tables/counters, washing dishes.
Busy setting, Amiable work place and Enjoyable encounter with customers in a daily basis
IN STORE (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJune 19, 2014
My post as In-Store at Papa Johns taught me a lot on proper dealing with customers. Although it was just a short stint I have learned to love the tasks I was assigned to.
Easygoing workplace with friendly a staff!
Cook/Dish Washer/Customer Service (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: layed back and fun work
Cons: not enough hours
it was a good working environment, never had any problems and the job was fairly layed back but i did not enjoy the lack of hours with this job!
Fun place to work
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2015
Pros: short hours
Cons: paid for your own gas
I didn't learn much about the industry but I had a lot of fun working the it is a very upbeat and positive place to work always a good time and I am glad I kept the friendships I made there.
Customer Service focused
Delivery driver/ (Former Employee), Moncton, NBJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Tips
Cons: Low wage, No health benifits
Good for part time working commitment. Hours fluctuate depending on business needs. Good for students, young adults, and retired individuals.
Fun place to work.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Edmonton, AB (Belle Rive)August 2, 2014
Pros: free food while on duty. 50% of when off duty.
All the training is provided.
The restaurant is more like a family than a group of employees.
Manager is very easy going and does his share of work.
Not Good
Pizza Delivery and Kitchen help (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 17, 2014
Left this job because at the end of the night I was to be paid for my hours and tips from my deliveries. The night manager never gave me the right amount. I did enjoy the work.
typical day
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJuly 25, 2015
Pros: handmaking pizza
Cons: money
show up at 4
make pizzas at 415
deliver by 5

repeat until midnight
non stop so it didn't get boring, working with many different people got exciting