Panera Bread Employee Reviews

hectic high demanding minimum wage job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 September 2017
workload is extreme, management wants you to work around the clock never taking any time to stand or sit just constantly working. Assistant management is overbearing.
Pros
Cons
minimum wage
Productive and fun workplace
Bakery Café Associate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 September 2017
Overall, I enjoyed my time working for Panera Bread. However, management had a crucial part of my leave. It also became a very different place after FMI group purchased it.
Pros
discounts, employees of all ages and backgrounds
Cons
long hours, management
very productive environment
Food Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 September 2017
join your assigned section, make sure youre caught up with recipes and any customer requests. most of the day consists of preparing food for the servers, or if i was a server id make sure the food is delivered to the right table on time. as well as any dishwashing or drive thru responsibilities.
Strong company with great culture
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2017
Panera is a great place for people to work who are looking for corporate culture and advancement. The management are overall, very well trained and easy to speak with. The typical work day can be completely overwhelming or barley anything at all in the catering business. That's the hardest part - you are paid hourly and it wholly depends on the orders that come in.
Pros
Great advancement opportunities
Cons
early hours (4am) and unpredicatable shift times
Very busy place to work
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 July 2017
The other employees were great to work with, the management needs to be improved upon, as the GM at the time would bring his attitude in from outside of work instead of being more professional.
Pros
lots of work to be done
Cons
poor management
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON19 June 2017
The workers at Panera are amazing makes the experience worthwhile. However management is very disorganized in every aspect of this establishment. Managers have been changed many times, each time get more disorganized. Scheduling is based on favourites rather than who gets the job done efficiently and precise. Overall not a great place to work, would recommend working at any other location.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Fast Paced Enivronment, Great Coworkers
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PA29 May 2017
Although I did not have the best experience at Panera Bread (because of management), I worked very well with all my coworkers. Yes there were stressful moments (as with any job), but we worked as a team, and we always helped each other get through service.
Pros
discounted meals, great coworkers
Cons
long hours, weak management
Good Environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 May 2017
Very good environment to work in as well as wonderful staff and managers. The hours were okay, about 20 hours or less sometimes per week. A lot of work for closing though.
A typical day at work
Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON16 May 2017
Always talking with customers, making sure food is prepped, and that all parts of the restaurant is up to standards
Great experience
Since I'm new to the work force it was a lot to learn but it was fun
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
changing managers
Friendly staff in a positive environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
The managers were very friendly and understanding with many things. They made me feel comfortable in the work place and always gave me assistance when ever I needed help.

The staff was friendly, I was lucky to work in a positive environment. Only reason why I am leaving is due to transportation. Otherwise I would work here for a much longer period of time.
Pros
Managers were very kind and helpful
Cons
productive and fun place.
CATERING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2017
nice place to work. friendly environment.free lunches.nice managers.but alott of work to do.management very nice.good atmosphere.helpful staff.good customer reviews.
Extremely bad management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON11 April 2017
If you are not favoured by the managers you are basically screwed. The hours are strenuous (especially for me because I was a student and I would get home near to midnight when the store closed at 9), and when I express to them that I am in school and these hours are hard on me they told me then I should close faster. The icing on the cake is the fact that they don't even post the schedule in advance, so you literally don't find out if you're working that week until the week of. Their schedule basically controls your life.
fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 April 2017
Great people (staff wise) upper management kinda sucks long hours lots of standing. Supervisors are awesome and nice.You get mileage for doing deliveries
Pros
free food, mileage
Fun Environment to Develop Teamwork Skills
Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 March 2017
The staff team at Panera were all very friendly and easy to cooperate with. After my on the job training was complete, I had no trouble performing up to standard. Coming into work often felt like something to look forward to, because the staff there was so friendly and talkative. It felt like working with friends.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Lots of cleaning
Fun workplace
BAKERY - CAFFE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 March 2017
Work at Panera Bread was an amazing experience. Co-Workers were friendly, supervisors were helpful and customers were polite.
Enjoyable place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
Can be enjoyable to work here at times. If you are not good with stressful and extremely quickly paced places to work this is not the place for you. It gets quite busy during lunch and dinner, and occasionally at breakfast.
Pros
Fifty percent off meals on shift days, and free drinks
Cons
Stressful at times, and crazy busy.
Simplicity can be hard too
Associate (Former Employee) –  Erin Mills, ON13 February 2017
This was a good learning experience, and that's about all the positive things I can say about it.
A typical day was pretty simple, be a cashier for a bit in the morning, come lunch time, I would help deliver food to the tables and keep the dining area clean throughout the lunch period. After lunch I would generally wash dishes and help restock the store for whatever it needs.
Management was a mess, our store became a "training center" for new management. So every few weeks our managers would get switched, we would get new ones that would have no idea what they were doing, and they didn't do things the same way the other managers did, so it was stressful having to change our work styles every other week to suit the new manager's needs. The two managers that did remain constant at the store however were also completely disorganized, people's schedules would be messed up, they wouldn't order the right amount of stock, so we wouldn't have half the right amount of food or coffee cups for the week until the next delivery came. People constantly complained but things never changed, it seems as if none of the management cared about the quality of food or condition of the store.
The hardest part of the job, as I mentioned above, was probably the ever constant changing management. As most of us full time employees would grow to really like a certain manager and his/her management style, just to have them leave us a few weeks later and receive a manager that had no clue what they were doing.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the regular customers. Seeing a familiar smile in the
  more... morning or throughout the day was always so uplifting, even if you were having a bad day, some customers could just cheer me up so quickly and put me in a great mood for the rest of the day.  less
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Bare minimum hours given
Great Co-Workers
Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of family that you get with the other associates. They are what make the job all the more fun.
Pros
Discounted meals, free drinks
Cons
Uncertain scheduling, rarely get raises
it was a great workplace
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 February 2017
a typical day of work is prepping food for lunch's and working the cash and line at the same time. stocking when needed as well. management was great had no problems at all with them. the hardest part of the job would be other co-workers not doing there jobs right or were just lazy and didn't want to work. the most enjoyable part was the people I worked with everyone was very friendly.i have learned food safety and other food codes and how to keep a clean area so I can work faster and better without problems
i miss panera
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON23 January 2017
i really enjoyed working here it was unfortunate that i had to be let go due to the fact that i wasnt able to make it to some of my shifts due to distance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval