Panera Bread
1,668 reviews

Panera Bread Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
being a night shift baker.
Baker (Former Employee), Mississauga and TorontoSeptember 4, 2014
I did enjoy the job, I ended up having personal issues with the management that was running the franchise.
Fun, dedicated managers and committed workforce
Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 18, 2014
Pros: 50% discount off
Cons: can get stressful during rush hour
A day at Panera is always fun and exciting. From giving customers their best experience to gaining more knowledge about customer support, something new is always happening at Panera.
Fun place to work at
Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2014
Pros: fun, 50% discount
Cons: short hours
I love working at panera but lately management has cut down people's hours unfairly. The workers and management are all friendly though.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioMay 1, 2014
Pros: 70% off discount
Cons: short hours for full time
The workplace is a really fun environment. The general manager is really nice.
Fun, Active, busy
Serving food and assisting customers on all needs (Former Employee), 9350 Yonge St Richmond Hill, ONApril 13, 2014
Pros: free lunches, friendly people
Cons: tedious work.
A fun active place to work in, learn a lot about how the food industry works and free food as well. Very active environment. The occasional loud and angry customer but not the biggest deal in the world.
Experience at Panera Bread
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: 50% discount on food
Cons: selfish and mean staff, no form of training, too much gossip
Life at Panera bread consisted of various tasks including doing dishes and table service (for me at least). I would greet customers and service them by bringing their ordered food to their selected table. Before closing, I would sweep, mop, and vacuum the floors, bring dishes and utensils to their original spot (if I was assigned to dishes) and overall – more... make sure the area I was assigned to is clean. Instructions are easy to follow but management (including shift supervisors) would present expectation on the spot and not beforehand which served as a problem due to the location being a food franchise. Customs and new rules not stated within the handbook would also be relayed as an excuse to get angry at the workers (from what I've seen). The co-workers are friendly but most do gossip and give each other tension. The only hard part of the job is during lunch hour because of the rush. Food needs to be brought to tables in less than five minutes and depending how well our Line Cooks finish, then that will determine if I make it to the table early or late. The most enjoyable part of the job is servicing the customers and working as a team with co-workers. – less
Open communication, respected management and great products
Baker (Current Employee), North York, ONDecember 17, 2013
Pros: lunches are given, new products are rolled out each quarter
A typical day consists of prepping the dough for the night baker, baking what is required of the cafe.
Very teamwork oriented, fun at times.
Catering Co-ordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 12, 2013
Pros: great colleagues.
Cons: inexperienced management.
Very early days.
I learned to function outside of my comfort zone.
Management, somewhat easy going, but not too cohesive and lacking in experience.
Colleagues are great and dedicated to ensuring the guest/ customer does not suffer.
The hardest part of my job is waking up early.
The most enjoyable, working with my colleagues and meeting the clients.
Too bad ZERO is not an option...
Baker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 17, 2013
Pros: none!!!!
Cons: do not pay for months!!!!!!!!
I worked for Panera bread as a baker but did not like the night shifts so I stopped working for them, they said they would pay me the money owed (for 64.5 hours of work), 5 weeks went by of continuous contact and phone calls to head office and the district manager trying to get my money... I had to file a complaint with the Labour Board before finally – more... getting some attention!!!! Even then, the lady in the payroll department was rude and disgusting to deal with!!! I am glad I filed that claim because hopefully they will get fined!!! I still have not received my cheque but at least the labour board has contacted me and guaranteed me that one way or another I will get my money - and if Panera does not pay it willingly they will be compelled by law!!! This is an afull company to work for that does not value its employees and breaks the law by not paying them for months at a time!!!!! TERRIBLE!!!!! – less
Positive Workplace; our work is appreciated.
Overnight Baker/ Certified Baker Trainer (Current Employee), Inland Empire, CAJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: friendly people, independent workplace, lunch credit
Cons: graveyard shift
Working as a baker for Panera Bread is a very rewarding experience. Knowing that our baked product is on display day after day really provides an incentive for us to do our best.
We start at 10 PM and work through the night. All of the bread is baked fresh every night, no exceptions. I've learned to be a leader in my workplace and have advanced into – more... a position of leadership as a Certified Baker Trainer. Upper management is always supportive and have a big presence in the workplace despite not being able to be at every cafe in one night. Being that there are 15+ cafes in the inland empire, management relies on the baker trainers to ensure that Panera standards are being followed day in and day out.
The hardest part of this job would have to be the hours. The job itself is enjoyable but it takes time to adjust to the graveyard shift. – less
Good pay but terrible work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: good food
Cons: issues between staff and managment
Aside from the pay and some kind coworkers, I will never find myself working there again in the future. The management as a whole has a poor attitude and on numerous occasions is disrespectful to the associates.
nice to work with people
Production Line (Former Employee), commerce, MISeptember 14, 2014
I learned how to interact and take control of certain situations to make the experience a better one.

Management always did their job and kept all associates happy.

All co workers were easy to get along with and determined.

Hardest part is non existant

you could have fun working their if you take the time to know your zone.
Fun place to work but disappointed
Cashier (Former Employee), Mansfield, OHSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: learing do's and don'ts, built relationships, half off of food
Cons: always overwhelmed, paid minimum wage
A typical day at work for me was to come in and usually be instantly put in a bad mood. For the first 5 months I was put on dining room and dishes which was made for two people but 95% of the time I was doing it by myself. I would ask to be trained on something else and was always told it would happen but never did. I was trained on line (making food) – more... maybe 5-6 days and then they never put me back on it. They finally trained me to be a cashier and do barista which was where I wanted to be in the first place.

I learned the basic do's and don'ts of the job world since this was my first job I ever had. I also learned how to deal with being overwhelmed since that was basically everyday.

Management was okay at times. I had great relationships with all of my managers but when it came to training me on another position, it was always put off.

My co-workers were all awesome, there was not one that I didn't get along with. We all worked together and got along great. I developed a lot of strong relationships.

The hardest part of the job was when I would come in and be put on a two person job by myself. I was constantly overwhelmed and needed help but was told I could handle it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when we had Bread Bash which were our seasonal meetings. Also when we got a new item and would get to taste it. – less
Productive place to work, fast paced environment.
Associate (Current Employee), Greenville, NCSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: discount on meals.
Cons: short breaks, and low pay.
A typical day involves a fast paced environment with zero down time.
Constantly working to keep up with the large crowds.
Can be fun
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Edgewater, MDSeptember 14, 2014
Depending on location, can be a fun place to work. Quantities seem to over shadow Quality.
A little too fast-paced.
Overnight Baker (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: autonomy
Cons: overnight hours, disengaged management, very heavy workload
Your typical day as an overnight baker at Panera will have you showing up an hour before the end of regular business hours, pulling dough out of walk in refrigerators to sit before baking, baking, receiving the next night's shipment of dough and other foods, baking, pulling more dough, baking, making pastries, baking, cleaning, baking, scoring bread, – more... baking, more cleaning, last minute baking, and then cleaning again.

It is a lot more work than I anticipated. I was fully aware of the fact that I would be expected to be there overnight by myself (except for during training), and I would be expected to stay until the entire next day's product was baked off. The way this ended up was that instead of working 8pm - 6am four nights a week as per my schedule, I would work 8pm - 730am most nights during training. Now, granted, this was during training. I wouldn't expect to be as fast as I needed to be yet. However, just as I was starting out, we were introducing the new flat breads and mini-cakes, among a couple other things. This increased amount of product challenged even the trainer, who was an almost 20 year veteran of the overnight baking profession. The 6-8 weeks of training that is offered is maybe just barely enough for the most astute, and most likely overwhelming for the rest of us.

Management was there, but more or less negligent of what the overnight bakers did. We told them if we were short product, or if we used more than we were supposed to, but management only really cared that everything was baked off on time in the right amount. Not too hands on, not too involved.

The enjoyment of learning something new wore off pretty quickly as the stress of trying to get everything baked and trying to work out a solid order to the baking process set in. Before I left because of issues I was having dealing with working hours, the night consisted of me running back and forth in the back of the restaurant, stressing over the time while trying to manage 3 or 4 different sets of product at once. It was not at all enjoyable by the 3rd or 4th week, and the amount of stress made me dread going in at night, and miserable while I was there. Had it not been for the conflict I had with the working hours, I most likely would have stuck in there, hoping that sooner or later I would become faster and experience less stress. However, the trainer (the one that had worked as an overnight baker for almost 20 years) informed me early on that every night is as stressful as what I had experienced, and watching her I could tell that she didn't enjoy the job any more than I did.

While the work is relatively unskilled (you don't make any of the dough yourself, you assemble product from dough and other ingredients supplied to you), the work load is a bit too much for 1 person to handle, especially with the addition of new products. – less
fast paced
Hourly Associate (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CASeptember 13, 2014
Panera is a great place to work! Management is friendly and do their best to work with you. The hardest part would be moving quickly in such a small space with a handful of other employees, but on the plus side you create a bond with co workers when your working.
Overall, it was a great starting point compared to fast food restaurants
Bakery Sales/ Cashier/ Cafe Steward (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: free drinks, 65% discount on food
Cons: night shifts do not really get breaks, sometimes we'll leave as late as 12 am
As soon as I clock in to begin my night shift, there is already a line at the door. I have to count my drawer and ensure that there are $250 dollars in it and record my findings, whether it is under or over. Situations like this has trained me to hone my skills in expediency and excellent customer service simultaneously, My managers can concur that – more... I'm quick on the register and reliable to serve every customer during rushes, On the other hand, matters are made more difficult when a customer approaches, as I'm taking an order, with a complaint. Also, to my left, there is another customer ready to receive her pastry item. What do i do? Prioritize. I finish taking the order, then hand the pastry to the customer on my left, since it takes less than 10 seconds. Lastly, i handle the upset customer. The division of labor takes place when i ask my co-worker to take orders while I assist every one else.

This may be the worst part of the job. Attempting to give every customer my undivided attention in a matter of seconds with the line spilling outside of the door. However, it all seems worth it when the rush is over and the customers are satisfied in their booths. That's the best part of the day. Knowing we, as a team, succeeded.

All people are different, they all manage differently as well. Of course, many have their favorites and least favorites, but for me it is all about respect. Some managers are more helpful than others, however I know what my responsibilities as an employee is at Panera Bread. Therefore, I do not solely rely on my managers to frivolously help me with my own responsibilities. They have a job to complete as well. I am content with taking on other responsibilities and assisting my co-workers and managers as long as we all respect each other, despite any personal indifference. – less
great fun atmosphere
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 11, 2014
overall it was a great work experience. I gained customer service and social skills experience.
Casual work environment
Part-time cashier (Current Employee), Florence, ALSeptember 11, 2014
The work is not hard, co-workers were easy to get along with and management was great.

1 2 3 4 5

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more