Panera Bread
1,808 reviews

Panera Bread Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
being a night shift baker.
Baker (Former Employee), Mississauga and TorontoSeptember 4, 2014
I did enjoy the job, I ended up having personal issues with the management that was running the franchise.
Fun, dedicated managers and committed workforce
Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 18, 2014
Pros: 50% discount off
Cons: can get stressful during rush hour
A day at Panera is always fun and exciting. From giving customers their best experience to gaining more knowledge about customer support, something new is always happening at Panera.
Fun place to work at
Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2014
Pros: fun, 50% discount
Cons: short hours
I love working at panera but lately management has cut down people's hours unfairly. The workers and management are all friendly though.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioMay 1, 2014
Pros: 70% off discount
Cons: short hours for full time
The workplace is a really fun environment. The general manager is really nice.
Fun, Active, busy
Serving food and assisting customers on all needs (Former Employee), 9350 Yonge St Richmond Hill, ONApril 13, 2014
Pros: free lunches, friendly people
Cons: tedious work.
A fun active place to work in, learn a lot about how the food industry works and free food as well. Very active environment. The occasional loud and angry customer but not the biggest deal in the world.
Experience at Panera Bread
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: 50% discount on food
Cons: selfish and mean staff, no form of training, too much gossip
Life at Panera bread consisted of various tasks including doing dishes and table service (for me at least). I would greet customers and service them by bringing their ordered food to their selected table. Before closing, I would sweep, mop, and vacuum the floors, bring dishes and utensils to their original spot (if I was assigned to dishes) and overall – more... make sure the area I was assigned to is clean. Instructions are easy to follow but management (including shift supervisors) would present expectation on the spot and not beforehand which served as a problem due to the location being a food franchise. Customs and new rules not stated within the handbook would also be relayed as an excuse to get angry at the workers (from what I've seen). The co-workers are friendly but most do gossip and give each other tension. The only hard part of the job is during lunch hour because of the rush. Food needs to be brought to tables in less than five minutes and depending how well our Line Cooks finish, then that will determine if I make it to the table early or late. The most enjoyable part of the job is servicing the customers and working as a team with co-workers. – less
Open communication, respected management and great products
Baker (Current Employee), North York, ONDecember 17, 2013
Pros: lunches are given, new products are rolled out each quarter
A typical day consists of prepping the dough for the night baker, baking what is required of the cafe.
Very teamwork oriented, fun at times.
Catering Co-ordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 12, 2013
Pros: great colleagues.
Cons: inexperienced management.
Very early days.
I learned to function outside of my comfort zone.
Management, somewhat easy going, but not too cohesive and lacking in experience.
Colleagues are great and dedicated to ensuring the guest/ customer does not suffer.
The hardest part of my job is waking up early.
The most enjoyable, working with my colleagues and meeting the clients.
Too bad ZERO is not an option...
Baker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 17, 2013
Pros: none!!!!
Cons: do not pay for months!!!!!!!!
I worked for Panera bread as a baker but did not like the night shifts so I stopped working for them, they said they would pay me the money owed (for 64.5 hours of work), 5 weeks went by of continuous contact and phone calls to head office and the district manager trying to get my money... I had to file a complaint with the Labour Board before finally – more... getting some attention!!!! Even then, the lady in the payroll department was rude and disgusting to deal with!!! I am glad I filed that claim because hopefully they will get fined!!! I still have not received my cheque but at least the labour board has contacted me and guaranteed me that one way or another I will get my money - and if Panera does not pay it willingly they will be compelled by law!!! This is an afull company to work for that does not value its employees and breaks the law by not paying them for months at a time!!!!! TERRIBLE!!!!! – less
Positive Workplace; our work is appreciated.
Overnight Baker/ Certified Baker Trainer (Current Employee), Inland Empire, CAJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: friendly people, independent workplace, lunch credit
Cons: graveyard shift
Working as a baker for Panera Bread is a very rewarding experience. Knowing that our baked product is on display day after day really provides an incentive for us to do our best.
We start at 10 PM and work through the night. All of the bread is baked fresh every night, no exceptions. I've learned to be a leader in my workplace and have advanced into – more... a position of leadership as a Certified Baker Trainer. Upper management is always supportive and have a big presence in the workplace despite not being able to be at every cafe in one night. Being that there are 15+ cafes in the inland empire, management relies on the baker trainers to ensure that Panera standards are being followed day in and day out.
The hardest part of this job would have to be the hours. The job itself is enjoyable but it takes time to adjust to the graveyard shift. – less
Review
Associae (Current Employee), OxfordNovember 24, 2014
pretty good place to work. Some days are better than others but the culture is great and the guiding values of the company are fantastic.
productive
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Barstow, CANovember 24, 2014
Very fast pace. You meet a lot of people, your are able to build relationships with your customers that are regulars and buy your product knowledge.
Do not get your hopes up for advancement.
Associate (Former Employee), Ranson, WVNovember 24, 2014
Pros: 60% off meals when on the clock. some very nice people.
Cons: no benifiets. no over time at all. bad assiociates as well as terrible management.
A typical day at Panera varied on many factors, examples include what workers closed the night before if you're morning shift, what manager was working, and what time of day/what day you were going in. Sunday mornings are crazy, and it seemed like we were never prepared for the rushes. Coming in for the afternoon shift could be horrible, especially – more... when the previous shift didn't stock anything and just tried to clock out as soon as their time was up. My coworkers mood seemed to revolve around if they wanted to go home/had plans for the day. I met some life long friends working their, but I also met people who I have no desire to ever see again. I learned management skills, and how to run the line, but again, it really came down to who was on the shift with me. A few of the managers seemed to not understand minor flaws. For example, if their was a line out the door, and all the customers were ordering multiple trays of food, two associates on the line just couldn't keep up with the demand. I understand we were supposed to work steady and not mess up orders, but their were a few times the manager on duty would sit in the office and just allow it to happen. It's a shame really, there was a point in time when I enjoyed going into work, that enjoyment left quickly as time went on. Advancement in the company is a joke as well. It seemed like no matter how hard I worked, I was stuck doing the same thing, day in and day out, with almost no hope to reach manager. – less
Fun workplace
Associate Trainer (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CANovember 23, 2014
Love this place environment, we started together as a family. I love the part that I can express my coordination about management all my team and make this environment friendly.
Produtcive, fast paced
Associate (Former Employee), Port Huron, MINovember 22, 2014
learned how to open, and close bakery. workers were great the day would go by fast with all the coustomers I learned how to make the suffles and how to hold bakery down by yourself. things are fast paced and it makes the cousomers happy
Productive and Fast paced
Catering Manager (Current Employee), Toledo, OHNovember 22, 2014
Pros: free drinks, 65% discount
Cons: short breaks, stressful
Panera is a great place to work. You learn many things such as Point Of Sales systems, speed of service and how to build routines. Co workers become your family. Without time management and speed you can easily become stressed out. Especially when you have a screen filled with orders and a delivery in 10 minutes. All in all it is a fantastic job for – more... anyone, especially students. They are always willing to work with schedules, and they're many advancement opportunities, even benefits. – less
Very fast paced
Front Line Cook (Former Employee), Winter Garden, FLNovember 21, 2014
On a typical day at Panera Bread, I would make customers orders as the cashiers rang them in. I also assisted wherever i was need around the restaurant. Managers were switched around frequently which very much so affected the workplace.
Nice coworkers, terrible scheduling, terrible customer base. It's a job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Whitesburg Drive, Huntsville, ALNovember 19, 2014
Pros: up to 10 dollar lunches on work days
Cons: short breaks, terrible customers, managers don't know how to schedule
As an associate, I would say that the worst part of Panera is the false sense of goodness. We are fast food, just like everyone else. Soups are frozen. Doughs are pre-made. Yet the customers are verbally abusive when it comes to the employees who are doing excellent jobs (my soup is too hot, why can't I have free things), more so than any other fast – more... food job I've worked, because they expect us to be an upscale bistro.
The management depends. Most of my managers have been awesome, but one manager in particular was angry because I had to call out because of illness, so the manager drastically cut my hours out of pettiness. The hardest part of the job is dealing with older, entitled, wealthier white people. They are the worst.
My coworkers are wonderful people. We are all treated like dirt, and the managers do not defend us. Pay starts at $8, which is a good thing, and they WILL try to work around your school schedule. Although, I have missed several classes because they never seem to let employees off at their scheduled times.
If you are looking for a career in food service, it might be a good match, since there are some regulars who are genuinely sweet people. They make it all worth it.
If you are looking for some more money, I'd say do it, but don't expect stable hours. – less
Exciting and demanding job
Dining Room Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHNovember 18, 2014
Pros: some overtime
Cons: not having an assitant on busy days.
My typical day at work was to keep a clean dining room. Help other co-workers when needed. Management was helpful when I was backeup as well as other co-workers. The hardest part of my job was being backed up with many dishes with no assitant. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I had a consistant asssitant.
Baker
Cashier (Current Employee), Irvine, CANovember 17, 2014
Was able to make pastries and bake bread for when the cafe was in need. Also assisting guests with orders.

1 2 3 4 5

About Panera Bread

Work Passionately...Please visit us online to learn more at PaneraBread.jobs. Panera Bread is expanding quickly across North – Read more