Panera Bread Employee Reviews

A typical day at work
Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON16 May 2017
Always talking with customers, making sure food is prepped, and that all parts of the restaurant is up to standards
Great experience
Since I'm new to the work force it was a lot to learn but it was fun
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
changing managers
Friendly staff in a positive environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2017
The managers were very friendly and understanding with many things. They made me feel comfortable in the work place and always gave me assistance when ever I needed help.

The staff was friendly, I was lucky to work in a positive environment. Only reason why I am leaving is due to transportation. Otherwise I would work here for a much longer period of time.
Pros
Managers were very kind and helpful
Cons
productive and fun place.
CATERING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2017
nice place to work. friendly environment.free lunches.nice managers.but alott of work to do.management very nice.good atmosphere.helpful staff.good customer reviews.
Extremely bad management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON11 April 2017
If you are not favoured by the managers you are basically screwed. The hours are strenuous (especially for me because I was a student and I would get home near to midnight when the store closed at 9), and when I express to them that I am in school and these hours are hard on me they told me then I should close faster. The icing on the cake is the fact that they don't even post the schedule in advance, so you literally don't find out if you're working that week until the week of. Their schedule basically controls your life.
fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON4 April 2017
Great people (staff wise) upper management kinda sucks long hours lots of standing. Supervisors are awesome and nice.You get mileage for doing deliveries
Pros
free food, mileage
Fun Environment to Develop Teamwork Skills
Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 March 2017
The staff team at Panera were all very friendly and easy to cooperate with. After my on the job training was complete, I had no trouble performing up to standard. Coming into work often felt like something to look forward to, because the staff there was so friendly and talkative. It felt like working with friends.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Lots of cleaning
Fun workplace
BAKERY - CAFFE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 March 2017
Work at Panera Bread was an amazing experience. Co-Workers were friendly, supervisors were helpful and customers were polite.
Enjoyable place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
Can be enjoyable to work here at times. If you are not good with stressful and extremely quickly paced places to work this is not the place for you. It gets quite busy during lunch and dinner, and occasionally at breakfast.
Pros
Fifty percent off meals on shift days, and free drinks
Cons
Stressful at times, and crazy busy.
Simplicity can be hard too
Associate (Former Employee) –  Erin Mills, ON13 February 2017
This was a good learning experience, and that's about all the positive things I can say about it.
A typical day was pretty simple, be a cashier for a bit in the morning, come lunch time, I would help deliver food to the tables and keep the dining area clean throughout the lunch period. After lunch I would generally wash dishes and help restock the store for whatever it needs.
Management was a mess, our store became a "training center" for new management. So every few weeks our managers would get switched, we would get new ones that would have no idea what they were doing, and they didn't do things the same way the other managers did, so it was stressful having to change our work styles every other week to suit the new manager's needs. The two managers that did remain constant at the store however were also completely disorganized, people's schedules would be messed up, they wouldn't order the right amount of stock, so we wouldn't have half the right amount of food or coffee cups for the week until the next delivery came. People constantly complained but things never changed, it seems as if none of the management cared about the quality of food or condition of the store.
The hardest part of the job, as I mentioned above, was probably the ever constant changing management. As most of us full time employees would grow to really like a certain manager and his/her management style, just to have them leave us a few weeks later and receive a manager that had no clue what they were doing.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the regular customers. Seeing a familiar smile in the
  more... morning or throughout the day was always so uplifting, even if you were having a bad day, some customers could just cheer me up so quickly and put me in a great mood for the rest of the day.  less
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Bare minimum hours given
Great Co-Workers
Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the sense of family that you get with the other associates. They are what make the job all the more fun.
Pros
Discounted meals, free drinks
Cons
Uncertain scheduling, rarely get raises
it was a great workplace
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 February 2017
a typical day of work is prepping food for lunch's and working the cash and line at the same time. stocking when needed as well. management was great had no problems at all with them. the hardest part of the job would be other co-workers not doing there jobs right or were just lazy and didn't want to work. the most enjoyable part was the people I worked with everyone was very friendly.i have learned food safety and other food codes and how to keep a clean area so I can work faster and better without problems
i miss panera
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON23 January 2017
i really enjoyed working here it was unfortunate that i had to be let go due to the fact that i wasnt able to make it to some of my shifts due to distance
It was okay.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 January 2017
i was a cashier and waited tables sometimes. I really liked it. It wasn't a bad job at all. I was really sad to leave because I was moving. The management is not as good as it could be though.
good food
Assistant Manager -Training specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2016
Good food and good people. Some of my closest friends are from panera. almost everyone becomes your friend over there. The food is amazing and the customers are great as well
Unorganized and Under Paid
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON24 October 2016
I've worked at my specific location in Ajax for quite a few months before leaving, the store is extremely unorganized, during peak rush times typically lunch and dinner it is understaffed and customers get upset, because wait times are so high. The main line and front of the store is understaffed and the drive thru is no better because there tends to only be 2 people over there at a time.The brunt of the work is put on certain employees which leads to them being over worked and thus becoming exhausted. The job environment is okay, all the employees are friendly and typically get along however, there seems to be a loss of cohesion between management and the employees. You can submit your availability but it tends to get ignored. A typical day is stressful and you go home feeling overworked and under paid. As an employee you get overworked and extremely stressed out for only $11.50. It isn't a horrible place to work but I would not recommend this location. Management does not seem to care anymore, have lost their drive. The store is not run properly and I am surprised it has not been closed by now. Enter with caution...
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Long hours, unorganized, under paid, understaffed, high stress level
Waste of time and energy
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON27 September 2016
The higher ups (Dm, Gm) pick favourites and stick to them no matter what. Spent a year of hard work just to end up quitting and going to the labour board to deal with being denied breaks for 11 hour shifts, being denied proper wage, things of that nature. Always pay attention to employee turn over rate.
Pros
Food Discounts
Cons
You're basically a slave
Manager, Ajax (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 September 2016
Work life balance and the competitive salary make it an ideal place to work at. Fellow staff members are also a joy to be around and work with.
Pros
Salary, work life balance
Cons
Not very organized
welcoming and fun workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2016
-Learnt what we do at Panera Bread
-Management was friendly
-Worker friendly
-Would come into work with a smile
-Always willing to pick up shifts
Pros
friendly environment
Fast paced environment great for experience and learning, if you can handle it
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 July 2016
A typical day at Panera can be easy going and a really nice working environment but when it gets busy that's when things can get frustrating. Some customers can be extremely rude and put your temper to the test. It is very stressful sometimes but there is a strong sense of teamwork among coworkers which helps to get through the busy times. I learned a lot about being patient, but also when to say no (because customers like to try and scam for free stuff). Management is lacking a lot of leadership. Very bad lack of structure; not that much push to actually do the work. When hard work is actually done, it's rarely acknowledged or rewarded. We got a new General Manager who has really been making us work hard to make the store do better and more productive, which I'm thankful for. My coworkers are fun and great but tend to slack off. Hardest part of the job is dealing with awful customers that just want free stuff. Most enjoyable part of the job is when the customers are nice and actually appreciate the things we do for them and seeing them enjoy themselves (Sorry but Panera attracts a nasty, rude crowd.)
Pros
Great discount on food
Cons
Being humiliated and walked all over by extremely rude customers
Good and Easy place to work.
Panera Bread Team Member (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 July 2016
Super nice place to work! very easy going! Both the Employees and the Management are quite polite and easy going. I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
Discounted food and grea employees
Cons
They have a hard time working around your schedual if you have more than one job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Panera Bread. Our community is ready to answer.