Paladin Security

Paladin Security Employee Reviews

St. John's Paladin management is ruining Paladin's reputation
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 2, 2015
First of all let me say this loud and clear.. The Client Service Manager and some supervisors are such awful examples of leaders it is disgusting and depriving the reputation of Paladin Canada as a whole. Not only do they not appreciate your work effort, or coming into shifts on such short notice, they favor certain employees who suck up to management and also allow it to be 'okay' for them favored employees to constantly call in sick and switch shifts... they give you ZERO opportunity for growth or ability to prove your potential. They make you feel as if you are worthless and just another body to fill the shift. Back to specifically, the horrible Client Service Manager, Gareth. He does not care about his employees, as he could care less about someones personal interest or problems. Close to 95% of officers do not agree with the way he is transitioning the company or even like him for that matter. I am going to leave it with this, I would not be surprised if Paladin Newfoundland has the highest turnover rate, and it is due to the fact of unacceptable management. I would not recommend working for this company in Newfoundland until management changes. As far as Paladin offices in other provinces, I think they are fantastic! It just goes to show that one bad apple can spoil the entire orchard.
Pros
Some coworkers
Cons
CSM Manager
this company is no different than any other
Guard (Former Employee) –  torontoAugust 3, 2015
Don't believe the hype these people give you. Their main objectives are to manipulate you into believing "we are all one big happy family" and the second is to cover their butts. Which means that if an incident happens that might lead to legal action, they will not back you up. They will make sure they cover their butts and leave you out to dry. Seriously, during training you really need to read between the lines and notice the small things. Then you will know who you are really dealing with.
No matter what your skills or background, you are paid minimum wage and maybe later your hourly rate is bumped up a few cents. They make it clear that if you work for them they are the boss. You screw around in anyway they will come down on you like a ton of bricks. Essentially this place offers "McJobs". Wages you couldn't possibly live on. The plus is they have tons of shifts and different times of the day. Bottom line they are the same as any other company. No better no worse. If you do work for them you will get good training. So, remember that you are there for you, not them. Take what you can get and move on. Any loyalty you might have will only blind you to the facts.
Pros
training lots of shifts
Cons
large staff turn over, low wages
It is an exciting job to do ,There's always something new to learn and gain more experience in this field
Mobile Patrol (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2015
Well , I Personally think that we all should love what we do everyday . Its always great to love your job and be excited to do something new everyday thats always my idea . My day at work is actually awesome I get to meet new clients and train employees in a way that they would feel awesome to work in the company. I have learned to do your job properly and always help your co workers be being nice to them always so in future they will help you too and stand with you. The management team at my work is awesome they are so nice and they always listen to my any issues i am having and they always try to help me out .As i mention before i am always nice to my co workers and they always help me and we all understand each other .The hardest part of the job is when i am stuck at a site i am the only one working that day makes it harder when an alarm comes in , but i try to call guards to cover the site so i can do the alarm because of my nice relation with the guards they always come and help me out .
Everything at my work is fun and exciting to do .For me i believe its driving and meeting new people doing alarm respondes and helping out other guards and visiting them and having great time by always having smile on my face.
Pros
In summer we try to get cold water for all guards and in winter coffee for everyone, .
Cons
when its hard to help everyone in crazy winter situation, when guards are stuck its hard, but i try to keep my options before this situtation
WORSE COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 13, 2014
I worked for Paladin for a year and 4 months. I quit yesterday. I had them as a part time weekend job. I Was asked by my other job to work a day I normally work for Paladin. Now with this stupid company Paladin, seeing I used to work weekend nights. It was hard to take off. So it got to the point I asked my Co worker, the one who relieves me to work a different time than normal. He agreed. 2 hours before he was to come in he told me he wouldn't be coming in any longer. Then I had to get mobile to come in. Took 2 hours waiting. I pretended I was sick. When I left, the mobile went into the work computer and pulled my history and my conversations on Facebook. And the used them to argue that I have pretended to be sick. Yes that is true but they invaded my privacy. Tomorrow is Monday. I will be calling the labor board about this issue. I don't care about the job Cuz it was the worse pay ever. STAY AWAY FROM PALADIN.

They don't care about you. I had no life working for them. I worked 1 year straight and when I was eligible for vacation I was only allowed 4 days. I called in sick instead. I'm telling you stay away.
Pros
i quit, got to yell at management
Cons
everything, pay is terrible, co workers try to get you fired, managers don't care, they don't give you stuff when you need it. can't take a day off.
A good job if you can handle it.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Working with Paladin was challenging at times, but also rewarding. They have different types of posts, some of them roaming but most of them stationary. Working for Paladin was a step up from some agencies, both in terms of organization and clarity of duties. Their computer system is easy to navigate and your schedule is never confusing once you get the hang of it. Their orientation is well-planned and communicates everything you need to know about the potential job sites you might work at.
I've heard that their hands-on training lacks the intensity of some other agencies, but cannot personally verify this. I can say that it is taught in a professional, safe manner; very well supervised.
Like all security companies, you don't really earn the true worth of the job. But you have the potential to get a permanent placement which will pay more, and if you want the work hours, they have them. On the whole, if you are one of those guys who wants to sit at a post and watch movies on your phone, don't apply here. If you want to actually work, they'll treat you well.
Pros
easy communication. breaks are usually arranged with other site staff or guards.
Cons
sometimes remote locations or calls in the middle of the night.
Rewarding job with long shifts
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 15, 2015
A typical day at work would always start at either 8am or 8pm, and would last 12 hours until the next team relived you. You would work 2 day shifts and 2 nights shifts, following 4 days off. As a Dispatch Officer I would sit most of the day, in the main lobby, watching cameras, inputing details into Excel and Word of the events that occurred that day. Every 4 hours your team would do rounds around the buildings, you would input those logs into Excel. Since you are sitting at the main entrance your role as dispatch officer, is also the role of Information and customer service to the hospitals visitors and staff. All codes (for example; fires or missing patients) would come through the main phone line, where the dispatcher would respond and dispatch all units to a certain spot. You learned to trust your team and be part of a team, the people you worked with became more than just coworkers, more like a family. The hardest part of the job though is being able to sit for 12 hours straight, and being able to stay awake through the back shifts.
Love my job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2015
Although its ups and downs...I do love my job. I've been working for Paladin for 8 years and love what I do. I of course, mostly enjoy the site I've been working at and the great people I have met along the way. I try to provide the best quality service I can to represent the company I work for and please the client at the same time. I have trained a variety of officers whom all were amazing people. Even though we don't get paid much for what we do...the job has taught me a lot to advance my self using the skills I have acquired over the years. There really is no care for the work we do though. I don't like being forced on site when I have other obligations elsewhere...ie, other job. When It affects my life, that is no good. But I give it my all. I work nights and love it. A day for me is quite smooth as I know my job, so of course it comes easy, but it does have its challenges when they arise and I pull through the best I can.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
pay isn't that great for the amount of work done.
easy work but not enough hours
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Victoria BCApril 22, 2014
Paladin covers your full security training including all fees except for fingerprinting. The work is relatively easy and they will work with you to provide the best hours for your needs.

Management is good overall, and the fact that you can work in both solo and group/public areas helps keep things different and ever-changing.

On the downside the security industry is based on who bids for a contract for the lowest amount of cost to the company needing us which seems to be put all the way down the line to the guards wages being the lowest of any security company in the province (making it even tougher to live since even at 40 hours per week living in BC is cheque to cheque at best.

Pros outweigh the cons overall which is why i will stay on with them unless i find something full time with much better pay.
Pros
easy job tailored to fit your life, uniform and all training provided by company
Cons
low pay, no benifits and not enough hours to live on
Challenging job. Happy to have met more friends than enemies
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 14, 2014
I enjoyed working with my colleagues and learned a lot even if we have only a few minutes to talk about the job at turn over time. Although some areas of management and administration may be improved, I was very happy to be working for the company. I have always been successful in sending panhandlers, drunkards, drug users away but there are times when I let old homeless women stay for a few minutes in the parking area when it was snow cold outside. That was a hard part of my job. The most enjoyable would have to be the time when I realized that the mother and daughter drug users whom I have advised about their habit had gone to the Detox and Rehab and took up a course to work in a beauty shop. I still have their phone numbers with me.
Pros
meet different people of different personalities
Cons
dealing with violent & undesirable characters
A good job for a limited time
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto Rehab Institute- Lyndhurst CentreFebruary 3, 2014
Paladin overall was a good stepping stone and experience for me. I am unsatisfied with the pay rate because its hard to make a living. I do believe benefits is good and the company ensures work flow and friendly Human Resource department. The career advancement is good as well, however the pay does not equal the work in my opinion. A typical work day is overall enjoyable. I work in a hospital setting and the staff and patients are very friendly. I learned to be very precise and effecient in my report writing and communication skills. I get along with my manager and supervisor and there is mutual respect. I wouldnt say there are any difficult parts on duty, due to training we recieved, but i have learned alot and grow with each day. The hours are consistent and works to my schedule. Overall Paladin is a good company, i just have other plans in mind.
Pros
fulltime
Cons
politics
Could be a lot better with the right people running things
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 20, 2014
A typical day at work would be patrolling a site and speaking with staff members and fellow security officers about any problems, questions or concerns. Management at the site (including client contacts, staff managers and security site managers) were great as well as security co-workers. However security office staff and management did not seem to care that much and were often unprofessional. Opportunities for advancement within the company were slim to nil as the area office never picked up any new security sites. This job would be good for someone with ambitions of higher employment within the security field. However there are other security companies in the city who do offer better chances of advancement within that career field.
Pros
great management at certain security sites
Cons
being constantly called to work shifts when you are not scheduled
WORSE COMPANY TO WORK FOR/ RACIST AND JUDMENTAL COMPANY
security guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 2, 2014
worked at their site at syncrude base. Hires very young guards with no people skills. pay is the lowest if not working overtime and living in fort Mcmurray. management in the syncrude site are the most racist I have ever seen there are no visible minorities in the management. supervisors harass employees on a daily basis.

If you want to work there I can without doubt say you will be mentally stressed. they trick you in taking $1 hour retention which they usually deduct it from your pay after you leave.

turnover is about 200% they have people in training every week
Pros
free uniform
Cons
like to you when they are hiring they never tell you the whole story
Not Recommended
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  VancouverAugust 25, 2015
I spent a year or so working for Paladin before I moved on to a different security company. My work placing was very rushed and required nights and early mornings. The job in and of itself was just standard security but they call you often and keep a close eye on performance.

The issue with them was the corporate culture and team meetings- many of the Managers and staff were unprofessional and had a different approach to Security than other firms I'd work for.

Lots of unnecessary meetings and bureaucratic must haves in order to keep the top of the security chain corporate reputation.

Really, relieved when I found a new position- tread with caution.
Pros
Nice Uniform-
Cons
Low Wages, unproffesional staff, emphasis on reputation above anything else.
overall amazing company i worked for
security guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2015
I worked for paladin security in the childrens hospital it was the best job i have ever had, I love helping people and meeting new people and learning new things. Everyday was an adventure for me, the nursing staff that I became close to were amazing people. I took extra shifts and worked longer shifts just to be there because I abssolutly loved to be there all the time. My favourite place to work was in the ER (emerg) and mental health unit I met alot of children who just made my day everyday to see them grow and just be such hapy individuals no matter what the circumstances were that they were facing. I learned alot from these children and staff there at the hospital.
Pros
everything was a pro for me in this company
a large organization with a large turnover of personnal with decent short educational courses unfortunally the office politics are cutthroat. T
security guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 8, 2013
a large oganization with a decent educational courses unfortunally, the politics inside the office are cutthrout After I taked them to give written proof I received their rules and regulations they said their HR
person was suddenly not working for them anymore. I assume everyone thought I received their Rules and Procedures book dispite I was never told of any such book until afer I was fired for not following their rules and procedures. most of the coworkers will friendly on the security guard level and I noticed there was a lot of stress whenever someone came from the office. signed An ex-employee
Pros
decent short educational programs
Cons
office politics
productive and intense environment to work
Extra Coverage Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 2, 2015
As a security guard, I gained a lot of experience dealing with different kind of sick patients and criminals. I handled the situation by firstly calling for back up and 911. Secondly, specially with the patients I had to make sure I am calm so that the patient stays calm. I have to make sure no sharp objects are near by for safety reasons for both of us, the guard and the patient. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job is when there are more than one guard on site so as to work in teams in more enjoyable than working alone.
Pros
Take my work seriously
Cons
Working at a healthcare facility.
Health Care Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 28, 2016
Typical day at work: Can be busy during the daytime shifts. Slower at night.
What you learn: Teamwork building, communication skills, emergency response, schedules, procedures, health and safety.
Management: Site supervisor is very good and efficient with schedules and fairness when it comes to wanting time off.
Hardest part: hours and day to night shift cycles.
Enjoyable part: gaining experience for personal growth. Learning new skills.
Pros
Experience gained, inside work.
Cons
Long hours, transistioning from day shifts to night shifts and vice versa.
They don't care much about their employees
Security Guard (FT) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2015
Ive been promised to be provided for 40 hours per week since i was hired and im still under 32.. they put a new employee on a shift i requested.. youre on a blind spot of csm or a manager after youre hired... all they care about is you show up for your shift and they will call you 1000 times if they need you but they barely answer if you need them
think yourself
not a great company
good pay however management was not good at all
Security officer, loss prevention Alberta license (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaNovember 13, 2014
This company was giving me a great wage but they were very unorganized they would book me in shifts without letting me know prior and also they told me to leave site as in on incident and said that everything was fine however the next day i was marked as a no show and almost lost my job
Pros
flexible hours, great wages, friendly staff
Cons
unorganized management, hard work conditions
Very solid experience with mental health patients
customer service and sales, I decided (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2015
My experience with Paladin Security was very good. I truly appreciated my experience with the mental health departments with various hospitals. I loved the fact I can communicate and have the opportunity to deal with high stress situations on a daily basis. Only down part about this company is the pay. I wish the pay was a little bit higher, perhaps 13.50-14.50/h. Other than that, everything else is fantastic.
Pros
paid breaks.
Cons
low wages.