Pacific National Exhibition

Pacific National Exhibition Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Watch over the park
Ambassador (Former Employee), Vancouver B.cMarch 30, 2015
It was graveyard shifts in the summer for three weeks. for my first job ever i enjoyed it a lot. I learned that graveyard are hard to do but i was able to adjust. the hardest part was staying up even how quite it is.
Working at the PNE is amazing.
Ticket Seller (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 7, 2015
Pros: money off things, and long, enjoyable breaks.
Cons: the bus trip.
As you'd expect working at a fair was fun, on our breaks we were allowed to explore the part and soak up the environment. I did the ticket selling position, talking to people was easy.
Fun Work Place
Rides Operator (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 6, 2015
As a ride attendant we operate the ride for the guest to enjoy.
Co-workers are friendly and helpful if I needed an answer to something.
I have learnt to operate three rides at the park. The three rides are operated differently from each other.
Hardest part of the job is to get the guest attention if needed.
Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
As a Wheals Dealer we were required to ensure proper procedures before customers could play
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 6, 2015
While working as a Wheals dealer at the Pacific National Exhibition, we were required to work in a fast, but fun, paced environment in which customers would gamble. You have to be good with basic math, so I learned how to quickly add up numbers especially when more than one person won. The management was so helpful, and my co-workers had great energy. The hardest part of the job was just the business especially near the end, but if there was a crowed at your station it generally meant you were doing something right. The greatest part of the job were the employers who would continuously encourage you even if you felt like you were struggling. This is especially helpful because their confidence in you allowed you to perform better.
Fun place for working
Exhibit Ambassador (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: warm and friendly atmosphere
Cons: job tends to be repetitive
* Managing line up and answering customer questions
* Co-workers are very fun and energetic
* Management are very supportive and friendly
Great exhibition, amazing co-workers and staff
Ambassador (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: amazing staff, great hours
Cons: outside
I absolutely loved my job, I worked in the Game of Thrones Exhibition as an ambassador. During a typical day at work I would either be roaming around the exhibition answering any questions or concerns or I would be managing the time tickets or the lines. Managing the lines was the toughest part of my job, I had to deal with heartbroken fans who did not obtain a ticket for the exhibition but were persistent on going in anyway. I had to deal with many angry people which helped me gain knowledge on how to deal with difficult customers. In the end the most enjoyable part was interacting with the friendly guest and working with an amazing staff.
FABULOUS PLACE TO WORK!!! :D
Customer Service/Site maintenance (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC CanadaDecember 5, 2014
Pros: free park entrance, helping guests
This place deserves INFINITE praise!!! :D

Seasonal position but full of a very enriching experience!

A typical day:

I was on the site maintenance team and so I had to ensure that the site was clean and free of trash, debris and the concession tables were wiped and clean.

I was placed on this particular team as I exhibited an excellent guest services personality. Uniforms were provided and the shirt colour for this team is red. Any of these team members were people guests to the fair approached first to ask any questions as we were so easy to spot and we were all over the park keeping it clean.

I was always there ensuring guests had all their questions answered and if I could, I would take them right to their destination or as close to it as possible. It was so much fun making them smile and having them feel like they were VIPs. People were very grateful for all the help I gave them and the management team of the department I was in always gave me an outstanding report at the end of each season.

The hardest part of the job was working in the rain

The most enjoyable was helping the guests out as best as I could
Poor Pay, good people
Actor for the Haunted House (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 7, 2014
Pros: flexible days, easy shift changes, great work environment
Cons: long hours, night work, minimal pay, little chance for promotion in-job
I liked working for the PNE at first, and the type of atmosphere it created. My co-workers and bosses were easy to work with, and made my job enjoyable. The job itself was very flexible, or, when I was working there it was, but from what I've heard the way it is organized has changed. But when I was working there, the shift lengths and breaks were reasonable. However, the amount of work that was requested in comparison to the actual pay was a little unbalanced, only during Fright Nights, a time where you get no benefits for night work OR holiday pay, because the work itself is temporary (not much you can do about that). There were rewards each night for exceptional work, but are "points" or something along those lines redeemed later.
Fun workplace.
Rides Attendant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 2, 2014
Pros: good hours, good pay for a first job, good training
Cons: some managers aren't helpful, have to work outside, hard to leave the rides department once you're in it
If you can handle screaming kids then this job is for you. This is an ideal first job. Training is great and the interviewing process is very well done. You will have a lot of fun during your lunch break if you go and see the attractions. You don't get to ride the rides for free and you have to stand outside which can suck. Shifts do get cancelled when it rains.
Decent side job
Ride Panel Operator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 24, 2014
Mediocre pay for long hours and rude customers/clients. Disorganized staff and prehistoric communication techniques.
Productive and fun work place with the fair
Fair Ambassador (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 15, 2014
I monitored and assisted the public with the nightly concerts. Helped them with seats, radioed first-aid/security when needed and dealt with people in a sensitive and understanding manner. My co-workers were students like myself and we all built each other and contributed to a great work place. Management was great, they were understanding and fun while still being professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to build my interpersonal skills with the public.
Good, but only 2 and half weeks of the year!
Bus Person (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: 25% off on food and free gate admission
Cons: constantly on feet, walking
A typical day at work for the PNE beer gardens would include helping people find space to be seated if necessary, then making sure the servers knows they have arrived. I clean up all finished meals from the tables, as well as disposing of empty bottles and cans in the proper places. Management is friendly and kind to the employees. The co workers are also quite easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job would be walking around for the entire shift. The most enjoyable part of the job would be running into people i know, and the tips also of course!
fun workplace
Operator (Former Employee), Vancouver BCSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: fun and active work
Cons: work under hot sun
My co-workers are very friendly and nice to me, which encourage me to work hard and contribute a lot at workplace. I'm happy to offer my distinguish service to customers effectively and efficiently. The need of customers is number one duty for me to focus on, especially when the customers who have special requirements in my workplace are much more important.
getting kids that were seperated from their families
Guest Services= (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCAugust 8, 2014
Pros: getting to stay at the fair after work
Cons: seasonal
Made sure there were diapers and wipes. Update the events board.
Got kids when they were lost.
General cleaning of worksite
Great learning curve for sales.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMay 4, 2014
Solid Kelvin 23 tools at the PNE fair. Learned great sales technique, was a great experience.
good relationship with customers
Shuttle bus driver (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 26, 2014
Pros: having fun with customers
Cons: fair time only
Short period of time
fair time only
management good
good relationship with co-workers
having fun with people
Average (temporary) work experience
wheel dearler (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCMarch 30, 2014
Pros: minor discount with fair merchandise, free entry while employed.
Cons: long standing hours, strict dress code.
Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) is a renowned company that utilizes light-shows and extravaganzas to cover up the mediocre work environment.

Throughout the brief period of time I work at the PNE, as a wheel dealer, my supervisor at most, once a day; expects his/her subordinates to be super-enthusiastic, and super energetic like an autistic kid on a sugar high. Despite the fact that his/her subordinates shows more enthusiasm in a minute than he/she does in an entire day.

The PNE will provide a colored shirt with it's logo as part of an uniform, as for the rest of the uniform, we were told to – more... wear black pants to work. Taking into account that PNE took place during the summer times, I choose black shorts instead of trousers; upon arriving at work, I was told that I need trousers instead of shorts, or at the very least, longer pant-legs. As defined by the policy, while at work, all your loose items needs to be stored inside a storage space near your station, and you need to wear a black apron-like attire to store loose change while hosting games. Combined with the scrutiny they took with the pant leads to the conclusion that the PNE have a serious distrust with they temporary employee, so much so that they make their employee and themselves jump through hoops just to make sure that their employee knows that they're not trusted or welcomed here.

For the most part, work at the PNE involves hosting various games while standing for several hours at a time. Ensure that the fair attendee have a pleasurable experience. However, given that most fair games have a win/lose scenario, there will always be a conflict of interest; on one hand, attendee may not enjoy losing, on the other hand, one have to ensure that the rule of the game is followed properly; the most enjoyable, or rather the most laughable part of the job is that among the regular attendee who play and lose at the gambling game, there are several attendee who won big time and probably walk away with hundreds or thousands of dollar at a time. Which makes me question whether the management have any idea how to host gambling games properly.

Bottom line is this, it's temporary work, it's a job that pays, you go to work, you go home, and you're not going anywhere else, not to a higher position, or any form of advancement, period. – less
Temp - Gambling Wheel (Former Employee), VancouverJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
The PNE is a great place to work. Working in the outdoor casino was a blast. The people I worked with were the best.
Candy Foreperson (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 19, 2013
It has an awesome atmosphere and everyone is very friendly. A typical day at work is preparing food and cleaning the stand to make sure it's in tip top shape and serving the food and putting a smile on the customer's faces. The hardest part is when it gets very busy and it becomes stressful when we have to serve lots of people in a short amount of time. The most enjoyable part is that you're among friends and it usually ends on a good note.
A viable job for students
Sweeper/Facility Attendant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 7, 2013
Pros: cheap access to fairground, after-work parties
Cons: minimum wage, physically intensive work, long hours in sun
Working at the PNE was a much more enjoyable experience than I could have imagined. Even though the work was physical and boring at times, we got the privilege of wandering around the fairgrounds during our job. The co-workers aren't always the nicest of people, but they tend to get along with you when they have to. A guaranteed wage increase of $0.50 is minimal but it is better than other places that leave you at bare minimum.

About Pacific National Exhibition

The PNE and its employees support several important charities through the following projects and partnerships: Year-round charitable – Read more