Pacific National Exhibition Employee Reviews

Nice team atmosphere and fun
Sweeper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 April 2016
Sweep up litter and maintain the diversion stations. Wipe tables and pick up garbage bags and load compactor.

You learn how to direct/lead guests to their destination.

Management is fair. They value our health over the job, as some days are quite hot and we are not allowed to carry water bottles with us.

Hardest part of the job is working with unappreciative co-workers.

Most enjoyable is talking to the supervising team and chatting up co-workers before work and during break.
Energetic enviroment for a summer job.
Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 October 2016
Working at the PNE was a very fun experience to see all the people visiting it. We were allowed to explore the park and all of the PNE activities for free. However the commute for me was 1 & 1/2 hours and was a pain. Would work there again if there was long term positions for full-time.
Good company
Pass Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 September 2016
Great place to work at. I worked in the admin building for 2 seasons. Good atmosphere and great staff.The position is only for 1 month from August to September for the PNE summer fair. Main responsibilities are to print ID passes, file documents and collect commissions from exhibitionists.
Rewarding and engaging
Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2016
The workplace was warm and accommodating, and supervisors were always very willing to help out or answer questions. This job was very rewarding in that it gave me great experience in working in a fast-paced environment and in customer service.
Productive and fun
Ambassador/Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2016
Typical work day has you being outside majority of the time. The PNE has a lot of jobs to offer, especially in the summer time with the fair being open. I can not really categorize PNE as one job because there are to many. I recommended applying if you love to be out doors, love seeing the fun people have and if you're a people person.
Poor Pay, good people
Actor for the Haunted House (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 October 2014
I liked working for the PNE at first, and the type of atmosphere it created. My co-workers and bosses were easy to work with, and made my job enjoyable. The job itself was very flexible, or, when I was working there it was, but from what I've heard the way it is organized has changed. But when I was working there, the shift lengths and breaks were reasonable. However, the amount of work that was requested in comparison to the actual pay was a little unbalanced, only during Fright Nights, a time where you get no benefits for night work OR holiday pay, because the work itself is temporary (not much you can do about that). There were rewards each night for exceptional work, but are "points" or something along those lines redeemed later.
Pros
Flexible days, easy shift changes, great work environment
Cons
Long hours, night work, minimal pay, little chance for promotion in-job
fun workplace
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2016
it was fun working there during the fair hope other people can work there too the manger was good bad thing was working in the rain
Pros
go in for free
Cons
short hours
FABULOUS PLACE TO WORK!!! :D
Customer Service/Site maintenance (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC Canada5 December 2014
This place deserves INFINITE praise!!! :D

Seasonal position but full of a very enriching experience!

A typical day:

I was on the site maintenance team and so I had to ensure that the site was clean and free of trash, debris and the concession tables were wiped and clean.

I was placed on this particular team as I exhibited an excellent guest services personality. Uniforms were provided and the shirt colour for this team is red. Any of these team members were people guests to the fair approached first to ask any questions as we were so easy to spot and we were all over the park keeping it clean.

I was always there ensuring guests had all their questions answered and if I could, I would take them right to their destination or as close to it as possible. It was so much fun making them smile and having them feel like they were VIPs. People were very grateful for all the help I gave them and the management team of the department I was in always gave me an outstanding report at the end of each season.

The hardest part of the job was working in the rain

The most enjoyable was helping the guests out as best as I could
Pros
Free park entrance, helping guests
Good introduction workplace
Casino Wheels Dealer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2016
Worked 6-8 hour shifts in which you would call people walking around over to come play so you could get a game going. Have to be able to talk loudly and be enthusiastic, as well as calculate winnings in your head. Great for learning how to deal with customers and how to handle cash. Managers and co-workers were great, always around to help.
As a Wheals Dealer we were required to ensure proper procedures before customers could play
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2015
While working as a Wheals dealer at the Pacific National Exhibition, we were required to work in a fast, but fun, paced environment in which customers would gamble. You have to be good with basic math, so I learned how to quickly add up numbers especially when more than one person won. The management was so helpful, and my co-workers had great energy. The hardest part of the job was just the business especially near the end, but if there was a crowed at your station it generally meant you were doing something right. The greatest part of the job were the employers who would continuously encourage you even if you felt like you were struggling. This is especially helpful because their confidence in you allowed you to perform better.
summer job
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 January 2016
only a summer job, like 2 weeks when the fair is open. get a chance to meet a lot of new people. a lot of different departments so really depend where you are at
Pros
2 week job
Cons
good hours
Overall good experience
Facilities Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 July 2015
Being my first job I did not expect much but the management and my fellow employees showed me a great time and introduced me to the world of work. Management in the department had more experienced employers and were very understanding, They also took the time to acknowledge my efforts during my time there.
Pros
good management
Cons
conflicting hours
A viable job for students
Sweeper/Facility Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 July 2013
Working at the PNE was a much more enjoyable experience than I could have imagined. Even though the work was physical and boring at times, we got the privilege of wandering around the fairgrounds during our job. The co-workers aren't always the nicest of people, but they tend to get along with you when they have to. A guaranteed wage increase of $0.50 is minimal but it is better than other places that leave you at bare minimum.
Pros
Cheap access to fairground, after-work parties
Cons
Minimum wage, physically intensive work, long hours in sun
Good, but only 2 and half weeks of the year!
Bus Person (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 September 2014
A typical day at work for the PNE beer gardens would include helping people find space to be seated if necessary, then making sure the servers knows they have arrived. I clean up all finished meals from the tables, as well as disposing of empty bottles and cans in the proper places. Management is friendly and kind to the employees. The co workers are also quite easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job would be walking around for the entire shift. The most enjoyable part of the job would be running into people i know, and the tips also of course!
Pros
25% off on food and free gate admission
Cons
constantly on feet, walking
Great work environment if you get a nice supervisor
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 August 2015
I had a good time working at the PNE but I had one supervisor who always gave me a very hard time. The atmosphere is fantastic and my co-workers were great to be around with.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Rude management
Productive and fun work place with the fair
Fair Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 September 2014
I monitored and assisted the public with the nightly concerts. Helped them with seats, radioed first-aid/security when needed and dealt with people in a sensitive and understanding manner. My co-workers were students like myself and we all built each other and contributed to a great work place. Management was great, they were understanding and fun while still being professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to build my interpersonal skills with the public.
Fun Work Place
Rides Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 August 2015
A typical day at playland is checking off the safety check list in the morning and to greet and acknowledge all guests inquiries and complaints.
My customer services has improved while working at playland since all the time I am around guests and providing the best customer service I can for them.
Hardest part of this job is to try to deal with guest's complaints.
Enjoyable part is of course making new friends through this job that are similar age as me.
A decent summer job
Games Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2013
I worked as Games Attendant at Playland for a good number of years. In a typical day at work, you open the game, and start selling right away. There's a specific bar you have to meet each day in order to meet expectations. The amount you make depends on the number of guests that enter the park. The more guests there are, the more you have to make. While working, you're basically competing against your coworkers to make more money. This job requires a lot of effort in speaking out and creating rapport with the guests. You're constantly yelling and calling out to get guests to play your game. The co workers are great and the entire atmosphere is high and lively. The job requires a lot of mental and physical energy. Mental being; you have to maintain a positive attitude throughout, which becomes exhausting if you're working everyday with 7-8 hour shifts. The physical endurance requires you to stand for long periods of time, which is hard the first couple of days. Overall, it's a great summer job. The one big negative aspect of the job is the management. The managers play favourites and give shifts to who they like. Same goes for when they decide to promote people.
Pros
Great coworkers, decent hours, fun environment
Cons
Management plays favourites, repetitive tasks
Great exhibition, amazing co-workers and staff
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2015
I absolutely loved my job, I worked in the Game of Thrones Exhibition as an ambassador. During a typical day at work I would either be roaming around the exhibition answering any questions or concerns or I would be managing the time tickets or the lines. Managing the lines was the toughest part of my job, I had to deal with heartbroken fans who did not obtain a ticket for the exhibition but were persistent on going in anyway. I had to deal with many angry people which helped me gain knowledge on how to deal with difficult customers. In the end the most enjoyable part was interacting with the friendly guest and working with an amazing staff.
Pros
amazing staff, great hours
Cons
outside
Pacific National Exhibition
Guard watcher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 October 2012
Indeed l had a lots of fund working there as guard watch I did injoy it my supper visior was a nice person,any people were so good to each others.it was a part-time at night from 10pm to 8am in morning like three days a week some four,my job I have to the garden inside the fance and make sure nobody break in on climp up the fance.I was making $14 an hour the job is it only at summer for four month my co-worker was from native we have lunch to gether in the lunch room and we chart too at coffee time,so far I did liked the job but after year later in summer I was very sick in summer then I when went back every thinges change my supper retired and they saide we full this year but we will called you that was short term job.What I enjoy much the company administeration invited all worker for great big party for the last month off the work,that all I can say and thank you very much and I hope to hear from you good news .
Pros
half an hour
Cons
12 hours

4.2