Pacific National Exhibition Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice team atmosphere and fun
Sweeper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 29, 2016
Sweep up litter and maintain the diversion stations. Wipe tables and pick up garbage bags and load compactor.

You learn how to direct/lead guests to their destination.

Management is fair. They value our health over the job, as some days are quite hot and we are not allowed to carry water bottles with us.

Hardest part of the job is working with unappreciative co-workers.

Most enjoyable is talking to the supervising team and chatting up co-workers before work and during break.
Productive and fun
Ambassador/Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 7, 2016
Typical work day has you being outside majority of the time. The PNE has a lot of jobs to offer, especially in the summer time with the fair being open. I can not really categorize PNE as one job because there are to many. I recommended applying if you love to be out doors, love seeing the fun people have and if you're a people person.
Good introduction workplace
Casino Wheels Dealer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 3, 2016
Worked 6-8 hour shifts in which you would call people walking around over to come play so you could get a game going. Have to be able to talk loudly and be enthusiastic, as well as calculate winnings in your head. Great for learning how to deal with customers and how to handle cash. Managers and co-workers were great, always around to help.
summer job
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 21, 2016
only a summer job, like 2 weeks when the fair is open. get a chance to meet a lot of new people. a lot of different departments so really depend where you are at
Pros
2 week job
Cons
good hours
Fun Work Place
Rides Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 14, 2015
A typical day at playland is checking off the safety check list in the morning and to greet and acknowledge all guests inquiries and complaints.
My customer services has improved while working at playland since all the time I am around guests and providing the best customer service I can for them.
Hardest part of this job is to try to deal with guest's complaints.
Enjoyable part is of course making new friends through this job that are similar age as me.
Very positive environment
Rides Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 17, 2015
amazing place to work.
I acquired some amazing skills for everyday life as well as in any workplace with the intense customer service training and being challenged daily to execute my problem solving skills
Overall good experience
Facilities Attendant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 8, 2015
Being my first job I did not expect much but the management and my fellow employees showed me a great time and introduced me to the world of work. Management in the department had more experienced employers and were very understanding, They also took the time to acknowledge my efforts during my time there.
Pros
good management
Cons
conflicting hours
Great work environment if you get a nice supervisor
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 12, 2015
I had a good time working at the PNE but I had one supervisor who always gave me a very hard time. The atmosphere is fantastic and my co-workers were great to be around with.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Rude management
every where i would is a good place to work at
prep cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 26, 2015
I learned how to at fast i got to meet a lot of people and cook for the Winter Olympics athletes & starting early and working all day. until the job was done. Cleaning and cooking
Pros
Working fast and meeting new people every day
Cons
the hours were crazy
As a Wheals Dealer we were required to ensure proper procedures before customers could play
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 6, 2015
While working as a Wheals dealer at the Pacific National Exhibition, we were required to work in a fast, but fun, paced environment in which customers would gamble. You have to be good with basic math, so I learned how to quickly add up numbers especially when more than one person won. The management was so helpful, and my co-workers had great energy. The hardest part of the job was just the business especially near the end, but if there was a crowed at your station it generally meant you were doing something right. The greatest part of the job were the employers who would continuously encourage you even if you felt like you were struggling. This is especially helpful because their confidence in you allowed you to perform better.
Great exhibition, amazing co-workers and staff
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 9, 2015
I absolutely loved my job, I worked in the Game of Thrones Exhibition as an ambassador. During a typical day at work I would either be roaming around the exhibition answering any questions or concerns or I would be managing the time tickets or the lines. Managing the lines was the toughest part of my job, I had to deal with heartbroken fans who did not obtain a ticket for the exhibition but were persistent on going in anyway. I had to deal with many angry people which helped me gain knowledge on how to deal with difficult customers. In the end the most enjoyable part was interacting with the friendly guest and working with an amazing staff.
Pros
amazing staff, great hours
Cons
outside
Fun Work Place
Rides Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 6, 2015
As a ride attendant we operate the ride for the guest to enjoy.
Co-workers are friendly and helpful if I needed an answer to something.
I have learnt to operate three rides at the park. The three rides are operated differently from each other.
Hardest part of the job is to get the guest attention if needed.
Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Fun workplace.
Rides Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 2, 2014
If you can handle screaming kids then this job is for you. This is an ideal first job. Training is great and the interviewing process is very well done. You will have a lot of fun during your lunch break if you go and see the attractions. You don't get to ride the rides for free and you have to stand outside which can suck. Shifts do get cancelled when it rains.
Pros
good hours, good pay for a first job, good training
Cons
some managers aren't helpful, have to work outside, hard to leave the rides department once you're in it
Productive and fun work place with the fair
Fair Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 15, 2014
I monitored and assisted the public with the nightly concerts. Helped them with seats, radioed first-aid/security when needed and dealt with people in a sensitive and understanding manner. My co-workers were students like myself and we all built each other and contributed to a great work place. Management was great, they were understanding and fun while still being professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity to build my interpersonal skills with the public.
Good, but only 2 and half weeks of the year!
Bus Person (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2014
A typical day at work for the PNE beer gardens would include helping people find space to be seated if necessary, then making sure the servers knows they have arrived. I clean up all finished meals from the tables, as well as disposing of empty bottles and cans in the proper places. Management is friendly and kind to the employees. The co workers are also quite easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job would be walking around for the entire shift. The most enjoyable part of the job would be running into people i know, and the tips also of course!
Pros
25% off on food and free gate admission
Cons
constantly on feet, walking
Working at the PNE is amazing.
Ticket Seller (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 7, 2015
As you'd expect working at a fair was fun, on our breaks we were allowed to explore the part and soak up the environment. I did the ticket selling position, talking to people was easy.
Pros
money off things, and long, enjoyable breaks.
Cons
the bus trip.
Watch over the park
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver B.cMarch 30, 2015
It was graveyard shifts in the summer for three weeks. for my first job ever i enjoyed it a lot. I learned that graveyard are hard to do but i was able to adjust. the hardest part was staying up even how quite it is.
Poor Pay, good people
Actor for the Haunted House (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 7, 2014
I liked working for the PNE at first, and the type of atmosphere it created. My co-workers and bosses were easy to work with, and made my job enjoyable. The job itself was very flexible, or, when I was working there it was, but from what I've heard the way it is organized has changed. But when I was working there, the shift lengths and breaks were reasonable. However, the amount of work that was requested in comparison to the actual pay was a little unbalanced, only during Fright Nights, a time where you get no benefits for night work OR holiday pay, because the work itself is temporary (not much you can do about that). There were rewards each night for exceptional work, but are "points" or something along those lines redeemed later.
Pros
flexible days, easy shift changes, great work environment
Cons
long hours, night work, minimal pay, little chance for promotion in-job
A viable job for students
Sweeper/Facility Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 7, 2013
Working at the PNE was a much more enjoyable experience than I could have imagined. Even though the work was physical and boring at times, we got the privilege of wandering around the fairgrounds during our job. The co-workers aren't always the nicest of people, but they tend to get along with you when they have to. A guaranteed wage increase of $0.50 is minimal but it is better than other places that leave you at bare minimum.
Pros
cheap access to fairground, after-work parties
Cons
minimum wage, physically intensive work, long hours in sun
Candy Foreperson (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 19, 2013
It has an awesome atmosphere and everyone is very friendly. A typical day at work is preparing food and cleaning the stand to make sure it's in tip top shape and serving the food and putting a smile on the customer's faces. The hardest part is when it gets very busy and it becomes stressful when we have to serve lots of people in a short amount of time. The most enjoyable part is that you're among friends and it usually ends on a good note.

Pacific National Exhibition Reviews by Location