The Production Supervisor is responsible for all operations activities on his/her shift. He/she provides daily work assignments, assists operators with set-ups, programming and operation of equipment as needed. The position responds to any problems employees have and investigates problems as required. He/she is responsible for follow up on all problems occurring on the shift. Problems beyond the scope of the position and referred to the Production Manager include the purchase of capital equipment, termination and hiring of staff. Internal contacts consist of production, logistics, shipping and receiving, quality services, tooling, and maintenance personnel. There are no external contacts for the position. Ensuring work is carried out in a safe manner and enforcing safety requirements.
1. Ensures that production is running smoothly by delegating production assignments to staff. Assists with set-ups and programming equipment as required. Assists with daily operation of the press as required including performing adjustments. Assists with the solving of any problems that arise on a day to day basis. This includes trouble-shooting and minor repairs of feed lines, dies and other equipment.
2. Performs administrative duties such as preparing updates for the daily scheduling meeting, daily manpower planning, time and attendance corrections, approving overtime and signing clock corrections, proof reading and signing set up sheets. Prepares paperwork, fixtures, information, etc. for upcoming set-ups. Plans vacation time for the dedicated shift.
3. Informs logistics if parts will not be produced in time to meet the production schedule.
4. Informs tooling and general maintenance if they are required for trouble shooting, equipment or tool repair.
5. Supervises employees by verbally correcting behaviours regarding the operation of machinery and/or time management, health and safety, etc. Provides on-going progressive discipline as required. Recommends hiring and terminations to the manager of the department.
6. Proper use of electronic data collection equipment.
7. Performs all duties within the 5S standards.
8. Following and performing the instructions as listed in the Work Area Reference Manual(s) applicable to the department.
9. Compliance to all company policies and procedures.
10. Responsible for working safely, complying with safety policies and procedures, and wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) required in the designated areas as per company policy.
11. Responsible for working safely and keeping a safe work area for themselves and fellow employees. Reporting any unsafe working conditions, practices, and work-related injuries immediately to his/her Manager.
Education: Post-secondary technical program or equivalent and further training in management/leadership skills is necessary.
Knowledge and Skills: The position must have an excellent knowledge of stamping presses, both progressive and automatic transfer. Some knowledge of tooling, production scheduling, occupational health and safety and quality standards (TS16949 and QS9000) are required. Must be able to plan manpower requirements daily.
Communication Skills: Good written communication skills are required for normal business/technical communication. Excellent oral skills are required in order to provide instruction and feedback to production staff and to the Production Manager.
Nature and Length of Experience: At least three years of experience at a supervisory level in a similar production environment with reporting, planning, training and disciplinary skills.