The District of Parry Sound Social Services Administration Board
Housing & Community Services Department
Initial Location West Parry Sound
Permanent Full Time Position – Rate of pay $24.13/hour)
The Housing Advocate is responsible for facilitating and promoting opportunities for partnerships with municipalities, organizations, local community groups and the private sector that support the objectives of the District of Parry Sound Housing and Homelessness Plan and the needs of vulnerable persons to:
a) Move from street to emergency accommodation
b) Move from emergency accommodation to permanent accommodations
c) Prevent homelessness by supporting the retention of permanent accommodation
d) Assist community groups, municipalities and ministry agencies in the development of collaborative solutions to increase the availability of housing choice
The Housing Advocate reports to the Manager of Housing and Community Services and is responsible for facilitating community planning initiatives that support the implementation of the District of Parry Sound Housing and Homelessness Plan.
- Successful completion of a degree or diploma in the area of Community and/or Economic Development or an equivalent combination of education, training and program related experience.
- 3 to 5 years related experience.
- Strong listening, interpersonal, problem solving, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills in a windows environment including presentation development (i.e., Power Point).
- Exceptional research and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and produce measureable results within a time limited program.
- An understanding of the northern economic cultural & political environment and Housing Homelessness issues in small urban and rural areas.
- Knowledge of all relevant and current legislation pertaining to the Housing Department.
- Must have access to the use of a vehicle while on assignment.
Qualified persons should submit cover letter & resume (in one document)
referencing Job ID #14-11, by August 12, 2014 to:
Attn: Lisa Moore, CHRP
Human Resource Manager
1 Beechwood Drive Parry Sound, ON P2A 1Z1
We thank all applicants. Only those receiving an interview will be contacted