PNR RailWorks Inc. is Canada’s largest and most experienced full-service railway contractor. Founded in 1961, PNR RailWorks provides track, transit & systems, and signals & communications services throughout Canada through seven division offices.
Responsible for the preparation of bids for transit and rail construction projects through both direct estimating and leading and overseeing teams to prepare cost estimates for projects in the planning, design and construction phase, and to produce complete bid proposals. Leads and oversees buy-out process. Works closely with the Manager, Major Projects to develop a core pre-construction team for the successful pursuit and establishment of major transit and rail projects within Canada. Provides support, practice leadership and expertise to all operational teams and participates in related activities. Responsible for the development and administration of standards, tools and templates for use across the Company.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties
1. Oversees the estimating staff in the preparation of take-offs, estimates, and budgets.
2. Assists in selecting projects to bid.
3. Reviews contract documents and attends pre-bid meetings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimates.
4. Maintains a library of historical data from prior estimates, purchase agreements and subcontracts in order to gain information for current bids.
5. Establishes and maintains robust estimating processes & procedures for major projects.
6. Oversees estimators in soliciting subcontractor/vendor pricing information.
7. Coordinates the design process in preparation for the bid proposal.
8. Coordinates with estimators (direct reports and those of other business units) in preparation for bid day.
9. Reviews all final estimate packages to insure accuracy and completeness.
10. Negotiates and writes major subcontracts and purchase agreements.
11. Oversees estimators in negotiating and writing subcontracts and purchase agreements.
12. Develops and prepares buy-out budgets.
13. Oversees buy-out process.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
1. Provides guidance, direction, and support to the estimating team for the resolution of difficult and complex estimating problems.
2. Hires, trains, and manages performance of staff.
3. Ensures that bid documentation is logged and filed after bid day.
4. Develops strategies for and identifies leads for obtaining future projects.
Required Skills and Qualifications
1. A minimum of 15 years of construction estimating experience.
2. A working knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines would be an advantage; track construction, power / OCS, Signals
3. Thorough knowledge of estimating strategies and techniques.
4. Proficiency in planning, scheduling (including cost and resource loading), staffing, budgeting, and job costing.
5. Thorough understanding of RFP and contract requirements.
6. Experience with various forms of contracts including unit price, lump-sum, bid-build, design build & PPP.
7. Strong understanding of all construction divisions and general construction knowledge.
8. Ability to effectively train, manage and lead estimating staff.
9. Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
10. Experience using estimating software and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
11. Strong verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
1. Generally works indoors, with some onsite/outdoor work.
2. Frequently sits, stands, walks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard.
3. May be exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
4. Travel 25-50% of time.
Join our team and apply online at jobs.railworks.com to requisition #20140415-72501-001.
PNR Thanks all applicants however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted