DEVELOPMENT, MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
–1 Year Contract Position (renewable)
The Development, Marketing & Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND PRIMARY JOB PURPOSE
The Development, Marketing & Communications Manager plans, develops, implements and manages all fundraising, marketing and communications activities for the PEI Humane Society, based on a formalized fund development program and an integrated communications and marketing plan. This position manages all activities associated with development and provides leadership and direction to staff and volunteers. The position promotes the PEI Humane Society on a local, regional and national basis to ensure a broad base of funding resources.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, develops and executes an annual Fund Development Plan and Development Budget with achievable, measurable objectives and fundraising targets, with an emphasis on long-term and short-term individual and corporate donations. This Plan needs to sustain all financial requirements to operate the Shelter annually as well as provide future fund growth in support of our mission.
- Takes a proactive leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of individual and corporate donors.
- Prepares and/or oversees all fundraising initiatives including the research, solicitation, execution and analysis.
- Continuously explores alternative funding sources and new models which will attract additional support, including the pursuit of major grants.
- Takes an active role in any Capital Campaign the PEIHS may undertake.
Marketing & Communications
- In consultation with the Executive Director, develops and implements a Marketing and Communications Plan (based on the Communications Strategy). This Plan reinforces and builds awareness of the PEIHS in its unique role on Prince Edward Island.
- Researches, creates and manages the content of Society’s website and social media, ensuring the content is current and consistent with the integrated communications strategy.
- Writes and distributes Press Releases and Public Service Announcements; coordinates media inquiries; and serves as spokesperson as needed.
- Creates or oversees creation of all print and multimedia materials used for promotion of the PEI Humane Society, based on the Marketing and Communications Plan.
- Researches and writes all brand-marketing and educational materials, leaflets, brochures, and newsletters.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- Post-secondary graduate with a degree or diploma in English, Marketing, Business, or Non-Profit Fundraising and at least 3-5 years experience in the industry.
- Proven track record of successful fund development, meeting or exceeding projected goals.
- Proven experience creating and effectively managing program budgets.
- Proven experience with established project management principles.
- Proven experience writing and preparing grant proposals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Proven research, writing and editorial skills for both print and multimedia.
- Knowledge of marketing strategies, practices and media operations, including web and social marketing savvy.
- Ability to manage the production of print and multimedia materials, create and coordinate direct mail solicitations, and conduct feasibility studies for selected projects.
- Ability to interpret community demographics and design campaigns accordingly.
- Proven time management skills with ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to speak convincingly and persuasively.
- Personal qualities should include flexibility, and a strong sense of commitment to the mission of the PEI Humane Society.
- Clear understanding of the animal welfare industry in Canada and the issues impacting the PEI Humane Society.
- Completely fluent in verbal and written English (bilingual in French would be an asset).
- Liaises with staff, volunteers, donors and members of the public and business community.
- Influences Fundraising & Marketing Committees, Social Media Committee, Capital Fundraising Committee.
- Negotiates with suppliers and contractors.
Schedule is based on a 40 hrs/work week; however, due to the nature of the position, the incumbent may sometimes be required to work outside of the normal working hours.
The majority of the Development, Marketing and Communications Manager’s work takes place within an office environment located inside a busy animal shelter, which can often be noisy and hectic . The successful applicant must also be comfortable working in a variety of environments outside of the Shelter where fundraising events may be held, including: retail outlets, hotels, outside parks, etc. at various times throughout the year.
The Development, Marketing and Communications Manager is often required to coordinate, package and transport materials used for fundraising or special events, including the safe transportation of companion animals. The successful applicant should be comfortable with basic handling and transport of most companion animals.
This position is a leadership position involving key decision making and the ability to manage multiple tasks. The Development, Marketing and Communications Manager also needs to be aware that the PEI Humane Society is an Open Admission Shelter, which means that animals are euthanized, when deemed necessary, for health or behavioural reasons.
SECURITY CLEARANCE AND MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS
As a condition of employment, the incumbent will undergo reference and criminal record checks.
Must possess valid PEI Driver’s License and be willing to provide a clean Driver’s Abstract in order to occasionally operate the Society’s vans when required.
Must have access to a reliable automobile. (Work-related travel and mileage beyond normal commuting will be reimbursed.)