PARISH Geomorphic Ltd. is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm focusing on the assessment and restoration of rivers and streams, and has been developing innovative solutions since 1997. As a leader in the application of fluvial geomorphology, the PGL team of river practitioners has grown to provide a multi-disciplinary approach to river science, including expertise in ecology and biology. As river practitioners, we are always cognizant of the form, processes, functions and linkages of the stream and surrounding ecosystem. Our team, with combined expertise in hydrology, hydraulics and sediment transport is able to undertake a wide range of projects at varying temporal and spatial scales. Our sound technical approach using field data and state of the art technology has allowed us to develop a solid reputation for providing pragmatic, yet scientifically-defensible solutions. Because of this, we have been able to establish a wide range of clientele and are able to complete site specific assessments, comprehensive studies and relevant research of river processes and dynamics.
PARISH is currently seeking a Fluvial Geomorphologist for our Fredericton Office. This person will report to senior staff and will work closely with the project team consisting of fluvial geomorphologists, water resource engineers and ecologists and will contribute to a variety of projects including environmental assessments, watershed/subwatershed-level studies and management plans, development impact evaluations, and habitat restoration designs. This position will begin as a 6-month contract, and contingent upon employee performance, may be offered full-time permanent employment at end of contract.
- Undertake corridor and crossing studies in order to identify risk from natural hazards;
- Provide technical input into stream restoration projects based on channel processes;
- Complete analyses (hydraulic and geomorphic relations) to determine channel erosion thresholds;
- Undertake field data collection exercises, as required; including data synthesis;
- Work with various forms of spatial information, including digital topographic data and aerial imagery;
- Assist in the completion of performance monitoring studies;
- Maintain high level of QA/QC associated with project data and analyses;
- Assist in the preparation of estimates, work plans and budgets;
- Travel as required for various field programs, and meetings; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
- Graduate Degree preferably in Fluvial Geomorphology, with an emphasis on processes; or in a related field (i.e. Physical Geography, Earth Sciences, Engineering);
- 1-4 years of related professional experience in fluvial geomorphology or related fields of work; and
- Registered as “in-training” for, or eligible to register for, a Professional Designation (i.e. P.Geo, P.Eng) with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick (APEGNB).
- Preference will be given to those eligible for funding from Eco Canada (http://www.eco.ca/hr-services/wage-subsidy-internships/), or a similar organization.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Competence in various hydraulic analyses and traditional empirical relations;
- Familiarity with various hydrologic and sediment transport models;
- Aerial photograph interpretation and mapping analysis (preferably using GIS);
- Strong analytical and computational capabilities;
- Demonstrated time management, interpersonal and verbal communication (English); and technical writing skills;
- Flexible work style, with the ability to meet challenging deadlines and client needs
- Complimentary skill sets such as hydrology, aquatic biology and familiarity with engineering models (e.g. HEC-RAS), ArcGIS software and AutoCAD would be an asset.
Salary and conditions of employment are to be negotiated and would be commensurate with the individual’s qualifications and experience. PARISH Geomorphic Ltd is an equal-opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and a full range of benefits.
Candidates interested in this position are encouraged to submit their resumes along with a cover letter summarizing their qualifications and relevant experience by email to: employment @ parishgeomorphic.com or by fax: (905) 877-4143. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
PARISH Geomorphic Ltd. was formally established in 1997 as a consulting firm and now operates at the fore-front of geomorphic assessment in...