Oxford University Press

Oxford University Press Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly place to work
Credit & Collection Officer (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: clean and friendly place to work
Cons: long working hours no over time
Opportunity for advancement was limited . Clean and friendly co-workers.
Very Good Working Environment and good incentives
Manager Production (Current Employee), Karachi,PakistanOctober 19, 2014
Good working environment
good incentives
co-workers and cooperative
management respond well
time strictness
Productive and fun work place
FMS Engineer (Former Employee), DelhiOctober 15, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
very nice place from where i started my career .
all folks and management were good .
One of the Better Customer Service Department in the Area
Current Employee (Current Employee), Cary, North CarolinaSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, supportive team members
Cons: average pay
Management has done a tremendous job at managing out the "bad apples" in the bunch. The call center is now one of the best places to work within the organization. Really happy to be a part of such a great team! Wonderful place to work!
Don't work there
. (Former Employee), .September 4, 2014
Pros: .
Cons: .
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Privileged to work for a prestigious company but felt was time for a career change.
Database capture assistant (Former Employee), Oxford, ENGAugust 28, 2014
Pros: excellent package (pension, healthcare, hr department, gym)
Cons: the lack of diversity in my job (i just keyed 6h/day of english quotations).
Accurate database capture of English quotations chosen for the Contemporary Reading Programme to be included in the Oxford English Dictionary.
Most of those quotations included new words or existing words with a new meaning or interest.
The editorial team relied on my accuracy to edit those new quotations, some of which were published online.
I can't – more... deny this job was mentally tiring as I had to ensure constant accuracy in my typing although an acceptable level of mistakes was allowed before proof-reading.
As I was typing quotations from hard copy material (books, newspapers, scrips, scientific documents etc.), I learned something new everyday! I mostly enjoyed working from scientific/medical documents as I find myself more familiar with. – less
Great place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Cary, NCJuly 18, 2014
Interesting place to work. I learned a lot here and was able to use what I learned on other jobs.
Excellent environment, close knit co-workers excellent wages
Storeperson (Former Employee), South MelbourneJuly 2, 2014
Pros: great wages, location easy to get to, i understood my job requirements and filled them with ease.
Cons: perhaps the only thing which i would have prefered was a permanant position.
Pick and packing orders manually and sometimes using RF scanners. Replenishing stock onto shelves. Shrink wrapping books. And so many variety of tasks. Always interesting with overtime available. Co-workers were supportive and enjoyable to be with. The hardest part of the job were always overcome with the help of staff and management which always had – more... the view of making the work efficient for all. – less
Work is good, management poor.
Freelance copyeditor (Current Employee), at home officeJune 4, 2014
Work is done remotely, at home. therefore many of these questions do not apply.
Productive and healthy environment
Assistant Manager Sales (Current Employee), Lahore PakistanMay 24, 2014
There is always a relaxed environment at workplace where I've learnt all about sales and marketing of OUP books in different schools. There is a good relation between co workers who cooperative with each others in all matters.
Good culture and relaxed atmosphere
Commissining Editor (Current Employee), Midrand, GPMay 20, 2014
Pros: success is recognised
Cons: long hours
It can be hectic and working overtime is part of the day, but this is negotiated prior to this taking place.
I have learned to multitask.
Good management style and a dedicated spirit of team work is evident.
Weekly travel to Cape Town can be hard sometimes.
I enjoy the spirit of team work and the successes are always celebrated.
Developer (Current Employee), Kolkata, WBMay 10, 2014
Nice Place to work. More Learning Opportunity

The scope of the project involves the following activities:
• Development of the Lessons and the Homework online files for MyMath
• Content creation
• Content conversion
Publishing Trafficking Officer
Trafficking/PA (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches during pressurized times (caps process) and flexitime
Cons: long hours during critical periods and external ppl not communicating
A typical day would involve meeting at 9am with the Design Studio (Scrum meeting which entails a quick review on the current projects and job items running) then a reporting meeting with my Line manager to repost on workflow and time impacting issues. Then majority of the day would be trafficking job bags and work items as well as email and telephone – more... correspondence to ensure deadlines are being met and adhered to. I learned a immense amount of time management skills as well as workflow and project management skills. Management provided excellent support in the form of constant communication and feedback. My co-workers sometimes imposed unrealistic deadlines and lacked feedback but I overcame those obstacles easily. The hardest part of my job was having to consistently pressurize and impose the strict deadlines. The most enjoyable part was focusing on book covers and working so closely with the design studio providing valuable ideas and feedback and also being a integral part of the book publishing process. – less
Great products, superior brand recognition
Regional Sales Manager, ELT Division (Former Employee), Remote working from Home OfficeFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: great people, great product, great office in manhattan
Cons: company dismantled elt sales force, opting for call center approach
ELT division creates great products. Very nice to meet people who tell you that your product (Oxford) helped them learn English.
pretty cool
marketing (Current Employee), new yorkJanuary 6, 2014
lost my job due to budget cuts but it was a great place to work at.
fun place to work in
general worker (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCNovember 23, 2013
Pros: free lunches offcourse when working over time and week ends
Cons: long hours
It would have been fun if i was permanent. I think it would benefit every one if they could hire their own casuals rather than hiring from an agent
first experience to the industry
Administrative Services (Former Employee), Delhi, DLOctober 24, 2013
had a lot of fun n good exposure at workplace. my first salary was my hardwork.
Well organised work environment with good employee focus and care for training, updating skills and benefits
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Oxford England UKAugust 9, 2013
Pros: good pay and alowance for updating skills
Cons: hi work load at times but nothing excessive
Great place to work.beautiful premises. Good communication and understanding between management and staff, good skills focus and updating of studies. Positive feedback on work well done. Clear guidelines and an advanced management style along with a fair pay scale at or above market rates all made it a good place to be.
Lacking energy
IT Consultant (Former Employee), ITJuly 24, 2013
Pros: good canteen, nice building and pleasant people
Cons: poor management (this may have changed)
I worked in OUP as an digital contractor a few years back. I'd just come from a very hectic work environment and as a contractor I was ready to hit the ground running (forgive the cliche).

But there was no urgency, no real sense of drive. There were bold ambitions to create a bigger, better more focused digital presence, but nothing really happened. – more... IT had farmed out digital development to a London-based digital agency to develop the part of the OUP website that I was working on. They were very expensive and frankly rubbish. But they raked in the dosh all for work that could have been done for a quarter of the price in-house. Yet there was no real effort to get rid of them.

Perhaps the biggest problem were full time staff who just didn't engage with the work I was involved in with any degree of urgency - a Morris dance rather than fast-beat techno.

Work was slow and in the end I left because I was bored.

I read an earlier review that suggested there was a degree of unpleasantness about IT. I wouldn't say that. Bar one individual all the people I worked with were nice folk.

If things haven't changed and you as a digital or IT professional are looking for a backwater, ambling type of contract then this is the one for you! – less
Production
Customer Service Executive (Current Employee), NairobiJuly 15, 2013
Pros: medical cover, free lunch
My day start at 7 am in the morning and i join some of my colleagues at a club which is called book club. The office day starts at 8.30am with lost of activities taking place.
Have learned lots of new things since i joined this Organization. We do debt collection on phone which is very interesting. The management is very friendly and flexible.

1 2 3

About Oxford University Press

Pick a word, any word. Chances are good you'll find it in some book published by the Oxford University Press, Inc. The publisher, – Read more