Oxford University Press

Oxford University Press Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent environment, close knit co-workers excellent wages
Storeperson (Former Employee), South MelbourneJuly 2, 2014
Pros: great wages, location easy to get to, i understood my job requirements and filled them with ease.
Cons: perhaps the only thing which i would have prefered was a permanant position.
Pick and packing orders manually and sometimes using RF scanners. Replenishing stock onto shelves. Shrink wrapping books. And so many variety of tasks. Always interesting with overtime available. Co-workers were supportive and enjoyable to be with. The hardest part of the job were always overcome with the help of staff and management which always had – more... the view of making the work efficient for all. – less
Work is good, management poor.
Freelance copyeditor (Current Employee), at home officeJune 4, 2014
Work is done remotely, at home. therefore many of these questions do not apply.
Productive and healthy environment
Assistant Manager Sales (Current Employee), Lahore PakistanMay 24, 2014
There is always a relaxed environment at workplace where I've learnt all about sales and marketing of OUP books in different schools. There is a good relation between co workers who cooperative with each others in all matters.
Good culture and relaxed atmosphere
Commissining Editor (Current Employee), Midrand, GPMay 20, 2014
Pros: success is recognised
Cons: long hours
It can be hectic and working overtime is part of the day, but this is negotiated prior to this taking place.
I have learned to multitask.
Good management style and a dedicated spirit of team work is evident.
Weekly travel to Cape Town can be hard sometimes.
I enjoy the spirit of team work and the successes are always celebrated.
Developer (Current Employee), Kolkata, WBMay 10, 2014
Nice Place to work. More Learning Opportunity

The scope of the project involves the following activities:
• Development of the Lessons and the Homework online files for MyMath
• Content creation
• Content conversion
Publishing Trafficking Officer
Trafficking/PA (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches during pressurized times (caps process) and flexitime
Cons: long hours during critical periods and external ppl not communicating
A typical day would involve meeting at 9am with the Design Studio (Scrum meeting which entails a quick review on the current projects and job items running) then a reporting meeting with my Line manager to repost on workflow and time impacting issues. Then majority of the day would be trafficking job bags and work items as well as email and telephone – more... correspondence to ensure deadlines are being met and adhered to. I learned a immense amount of time management skills as well as workflow and project management skills. Management provided excellent support in the form of constant communication and feedback. My co-workers sometimes imposed unrealistic deadlines and lacked feedback but I overcame those obstacles easily. The hardest part of my job was having to consistently pressurize and impose the strict deadlines. The most enjoyable part was focusing on book covers and working so closely with the design studio providing valuable ideas and feedback and also being a integral part of the book publishing process. – less
Great products, superior brand recognition
Regional Sales Manager, ELT Division (Former Employee), Remote working from Home OfficeFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: great people, great product, great office in manhattan
Cons: company dismantled elt sales force, opting for call center approach
ELT division creates great products. Very nice to meet people who tell you that your product (Oxford) helped them learn English.
pretty cool
marketing (Current Employee), new yorkJanuary 6, 2014
lost my job due to budget cuts but it was a great place to work at.
fun place to work in
general worker (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCNovember 23, 2013
Pros: free lunches offcourse when working over time and week ends
Cons: long hours
It would have been fun if i was permanent. I think it would benefit every one if they could hire their own casuals rather than hiring from an agent
first experience to the industry
Administrative Services (Former Employee), Delhi, DLOctober 24, 2013
had a lot of fun n good exposure at workplace. my first salary was my hardwork.
Well organised work environment with good employee focus and care for training, updating skills and benefits
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Oxford England UKAugust 9, 2013
Pros: good pay and alowance for updating skills
Cons: hi work load at times but nothing excessive
Great place to work.beautiful premises. Good communication and understanding between management and staff, good skills focus and updating of studies. Positive feedback on work well done. Clear guidelines and an advanced management style along with a fair pay scale at or above market rates all made it a good place to be.
Lacking energy
IT Consultant (Former Employee), ITJuly 24, 2013
Pros: good canteen, nice building and pleasant people
Cons: poor management (this may have changed)
I worked in OUP as an digital contractor a few years back. I'd just come from a very hectic work environment and as a contractor I was ready to hit the ground running (forgive the cliche).

But there was no urgency, no real sense of drive. There were bold ambitions to create a bigger, better more focused digital presence, but nothing really happened. – more... IT had farmed out digital development to a London-based digital agency to develop the part of the OUP website that I was working on. They were very expensive and frankly rubbish. But they raked in the dosh all for work that could have been done for a quarter of the price in-house. Yet there was no real effort to get rid of them.

Perhaps the biggest problem were full time staff who just didn't engage with the work I was involved in with any degree of urgency - a Morris dance rather than fast-beat techno.

Work was slow and in the end I left because I was bored.

I read an earlier review that suggested there was a degree of unpleasantness about IT. I wouldn't say that. Bar one individual all the people I worked with were nice folk.

If things haven't changed and you as a digital or IT professional are looking for a backwater, ambling type of contract then this is the one for you! – less
Production
Customer Service Executive (Current Employee), NairobiJuly 15, 2013
Pros: medical cover, free lunch
My day start at 7 am in the morning and i join some of my colleagues at a club which is called book club. The office day starts at 8.30am with lost of activities taking place.
Have learned lots of new things since i joined this Organization. We do debt collection on phone which is very interesting. The management is very friendly and flexible.
ok workplace
General Services Assistant (Former Employee), ketteringJune 29, 2013
good place to work, went downhill when it relocated to kettering and the kindle came out
Decent Place to Work
Previous Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cary, NCJune 21, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: inefficient management
Normal call center customer service job which in the past was managed better.
Learn Alot at this work palace
Distribution & customer care executive (Former Employee), DelhiJune 10, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
i learn alot from this company in respect of all terms like management, how to work with your junior and senior and how to manage time.
Productive and ethical workplace
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCJune 6, 2013
Pros: discounted books
Cons: very strict and policy driven
I have found Oxford to be one of the friendliest companies to work for. They have great ethics and staff moral.
Very professional looked after staff very well
Credit control / Accounts Payable executive (Current Employee), OxfordMay 23, 2013
Pros: in house training courses and pub lunches
Cons: travelling to oxford it was ok before children and school hours!
I would print of reports and then telephone or email customer for any overdue unpaid invoices and hopefully a credit card payment would be taken over the telephone or emailed over to make payment. I would then process the payment and add notes onto the customers account. I would also enter all cheques, Bac's payments, cash received daily onto the system – more... and allocate payments. this was my favourite part of my job! I would send out monthly statements to customers and raise copy invoices or credit notes if required by the customer.Take telephone calls and emails from customer reqarding any account queries.
I learnt to prioritise my workload on a daily basis and dealing with customers and managers account queries. Sometimes meeting up with problem customers and dealing with there account with my manager. I worked well with the team and got on very well with them all and loved the fact that 10 years later i was asked back to help out on a temporary basis. I loved it but would like something nearer home. – less
Business Development
Regional Sales Director (Current Employee), ChennaiMay 12, 2013
 Regional Director (South), OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS since 2003: A department of Oxford University. Oxford University Press is a leading Publisher operating across the globe. Successfully heading South India Branch which includes the four states of South India, Andamans, Sri Lanka and Maldives.
 Attained fast-track promotion through quick understanding – more... and turning around business.
 Attended International Leadership Program in Oxford University Press. – less
Political and unpleasant.
IT Manager (Former Employee), OxfordApril 26, 2013
Cons: really, really unpleasant people.
I had the misfortune to be engaged at the OUP on a fixed term contract in their IT department. Caught in a political battle which, to be fair, I misjudged the politics of, I was eventually forced out before my contract had finished. Senior IT management are not trained IT professionals (mine was originally a salesperson), contractors are allowed to – more... dictate how large projects are run with no oversight and are engaged at a senior level due to personal relationships, project planning is non existent and communication is appalling. Everyone in IT had at least one, if not more hidden agenda all seemingly for no actual purpose.

On the plus side, the non IT staff seemed lovely and the pay, while it lasted, wasn't bad. But it doesn't compensate for the adverse impact the OUP IT management caused to my reputation and self confidence. Avoid. – less

About Oxford University Press

Pick a word, any word. Chances are good you'll find it in some book published by the Oxford University Press, Inc. The publisher, – Read more