Oxford University Press

Oxford University Press Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly place to work
Credit & Collection Officer (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: clean and friendly place to work
Cons: long working hours no over time
Opportunity for advancement was limited . Clean and friendly co-workers.
Tense dont want to go to work atmosphere
Entry level Creative Freelance (Former Employee), MelbourneJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: great lunch room facilities
Cons: treat freelancers very badly
Freelance: started induction training first day, but was left with new software to learn and everyone too busy to speak to. Second day office "supervisor" who hired me reports back to agency to tell them I am not working up to standard??? second day?? I explain it is probably best to train me first in workflow. I enjoyed the material and really wanted to do a great job. Third & fourth day go well finally feel like I am getting a handle on the layout of document they require, even though editors stand over the top of me waving their hands loudly and intimidatingly telling the whole office how I should be doing layout. That is the routine in the creative dept obviously. Into the second week I have been hired by one trained by another and intermittent rude direction by another, all telling me to stop what I am doing and start on different task, none of them speaking to each other as they are too busy. I over hear one employee saying that so and so left because they were getting treated like a Freelancer!!! The last straw was another complaint to agency by email forwarded to me detailing my inability to do my job...aargh do not bother with entry level positions there. I noticed the toilets had counselling ads in them....!!! Horrible workplace.
Productive, caring environment with many training opportunities
Production Editor (Former Employee), Oxford (England)January 15, 2015
Pros: good managerial structure, high level of employee care
I was immediately given reign over multiple titles, though I hadn't had a lot of publishing experience, which I appreciated hugely as it allowed me to take responsibility and to throw myself fully into the work.
OUP ran dozens of training programs each week, and I took advantage of this opportunity and learnt as much as I could about Microsoft, Adobe, digital publishing, XML, and much more.
Managing titles of my own allowed me space to think creatively and to solve problems, as well as form and maintain relationships with authors and other departments, but there was always a managerial structure and it was good to know that I could ask for advice when I needed to.
The size of the company (over two-thousand employees in the Oxford site alone) allowed for clear career progression, and meant that I could easily learn about other departments. I met with people from Commissioning, Marketing, Design and Digital in order to get to know more about what they did.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the level of communication with authors and other departments, and the ability to take responsibility for my projects and coordinate all others involved accordingly.
The hardest part was probably the volume of titles, though I am an incredibly efficient and organized worker, and quickly learnt to enjoy juggling so many projects at once. I love to keep busy and to take on a variety of tasks, so it suited me well.
Fun Team
Marketing Executive Intern (Former Employee), Madrid, MDJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: monotonous work
My role was to upload digital copies of the Oxford University Press products to the online service. I had to become familiar with the products and what kind of information came with each series from the pre-school books to the more advanced levels. I had to communicate on a regular basis with the UK office to obtain digital copies of the products and then I would have to edit the copies by splitting the books into chapters and removing the crop marks before uploading the documents to the website.

When I began this role there had already been some work done to the online service however due to a reorganisation of the company there was a new leader to the project who decided to change the organisation of the website in order to make the site more user friendly.
sort, deliver, manage
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Cary, NCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: walking the building and learning how balance accts recieveable and accts payable
Cons: being let go because the company had me doing the job of 2 people, weren't prepared when i got sick.
At Oxford (not the school), I was the mail room clerk. I sold office supplies, sorted the incoming packaging and mail and delivered the interoffice mail for about 500 employees which at 1 point I had all their names down pact.

I answered calls and made trips to co-workers desk who needed things form the mail room. But when I wasn't busy fulfilling orders, I was stuffing envelopes, running the mail meter machine, and dropping off packages to be shipped out in the warehouse. I was glad I got to walk the building often.

Management was good until they fired everyone else in the mail room because I could do the job of 2 people. I got sick and was hospitalized and since I had no one to cover me, they let me go while in the hospital and replaced me with 2 temp agents. I was disappointed because I worked really hard to earn my spot and because they didnt know how long I would be in the hospital, they found it easier to replace me.
Run as fast as you can from this place..
Shipping Lead (Former Employee), Cary NCDecember 1, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Worked there for about 8 months.. Shipping Manager and Supervisors just used me as a buffer for Manager to go on vacation Manager hadnt been on vacation for years... already had people working there that could have filled the position from within.. I left a job to go to that dump... too much turnover they hire temps one week and they are gone the next cause they cant handle the pace.. and you are stuck re-training people week after week... not the supervisors doing the hiring and firing ... but you... do not waste your time or energy on this place...
Great Company to work for.
Gratis Coordinator (Current Employee), Cary, NCOctober 28, 2014
Daily at Oxford University I process about 100 emails a day and maintaine customers records.

The coworkers at Oxford has became my family away from home.
Good organisation to work with
Secretary (Sales & Administration) (Current Employee), Mumbai, MHOctober 27, 2014
Pros: free lunch in the canteen arranged by the office
Cons: working on saturdays sometimes
The timings of the job are very good. 9am to 5pm and i get to spend time with my family too. Its a good brand name and good company to work with. Hardest part of the job is the work culture is not very motivating. The management does not appreciate the hard work and effort you put in the work and not token of appreciation given ever. The most enjoyable part of the job is I love the kind of work i do here, interacting and meeting new people.
Very Good Working Environment and good incentives
Manager Production (Current Employee), Karachi,PakistanOctober 19, 2014
Good working environment
good incentives
co-workers and cooperative
management respond well
time strictness
Productive and fun work place
FMS Engineer (Former Employee), DelhiOctober 15, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
very nice place from where i started my career .
all folks and management were good .
One of the Better Customer Service Department in the Area
Current Employee (Current Employee), Cary, North CarolinaSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, supportive team members
Cons: average pay
Management has done a tremendous job at managing out the "bad apples" in the bunch. The call center is now one of the best places to work within the organization. Really happy to be a part of such a great team! Wonderful place to work!
Don't work there
. (Former Employee), .September 4, 2014
Pros: .
Cons: .
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Will fire you at the drop of a hat. See the exodus there.
Privileged to work for a prestigious company but felt was time for a career change.
Database capture assistant (Former Employee), Oxford, ENGAugust 28, 2014
Pros: excellent package (pension, healthcare, hr department, gym)
Cons: the lack of diversity in my job (i just keyed 6h/day of english quotations).
Accurate database capture of English quotations chosen for the Contemporary Reading Programme to be included in the Oxford English Dictionary.
Most of those quotations included new words or existing words with a new meaning or interest.
The editorial team relied on my accuracy to edit those new quotations, some of which were published online.
I can't deny this job was mentally tiring as I had to ensure constant accuracy in my typing although an acceptable level of mistakes was allowed before proof-reading.
As I was typing quotations from hard copy material (books, newspapers, scrips, scientific documents etc.), I learned something new everyday! I mostly enjoyed working from scientific/medical documents as I find myself more familiar with.
Great place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Cary, NCJuly 18, 2014
Interesting place to work. I learned a lot here and was able to use what I learned on other jobs.
Excellent environment, close knit co-workers excellent wages
Storeperson (Former Employee), South MelbourneJuly 2, 2014
Pros: great wages, location easy to get to, i understood my job requirements and filled them with ease.
Cons: perhaps the only thing which i would have prefered was a permanant position.
Pick and packing orders manually and sometimes using RF scanners. Replenishing stock onto shelves. Shrink wrapping books. And so many variety of tasks. Always interesting with overtime available. Co-workers were supportive and enjoyable to be with. The hardest part of the job were always overcome with the help of staff and management which always had the view of making the work efficient for all.
Work is good, management poor.
Freelance copyeditor (Current Employee), at home officeJune 4, 2014
Work is done remotely, at home. therefore many of these questions do not apply.
Productive and healthy environment
Assistant Manager Sales (Current Employee), Lahore PakistanMay 24, 2014
There is always a relaxed environment at workplace where I've learnt all about sales and marketing of OUP books in different schools. There is a good relation between co workers who cooperative with each others in all matters.
Good culture and relaxed atmosphere
Commissining Editor (Current Employee), Midrand, GPMay 20, 2014
Pros: success is recognised
Cons: long hours
It can be hectic and working overtime is part of the day, but this is negotiated prior to this taking place.
I have learned to multitask.
Good management style and a dedicated spirit of team work is evident.
Weekly travel to Cape Town can be hard sometimes.
I enjoy the spirit of team work and the successes are always celebrated.
Developer (Current Employee), Kolkata, WBMay 10, 2014
Nice Place to work. More Learning Opportunity

The scope of the project involves the following activities:
• Development of the Lessons and the Homework online files for MyMath
• Content creation
• Content conversion
Publishing Trafficking Officer
Trafficking/PA (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches during pressurized times (caps process) and flexitime
Cons: long hours during critical periods and external ppl not communicating
A typical day would involve meeting at 9am with the Design Studio (Scrum meeting which entails a quick review on the current projects and job items running) then a reporting meeting with my Line manager to repost on workflow and time impacting issues. Then majority of the day would be trafficking job bags and work items as well as email and telephone correspondence to ensure deadlines are being met and adhered to. I learned a immense amount of time management skills as well as workflow and project management skills. Management provided excellent support in the form of constant communication and feedback. My co-workers sometimes imposed unrealistic deadlines and lacked feedback but I overcame those obstacles easily. The hardest part of my job was having to consistently pressurize and impose the strict deadlines. The most enjoyable part was focusing on book covers and working so closely with the design studio providing valuable ideas and feedback and also being a integral part of the book publishing process.

1 2 3

About Oxford University Press

Pick a word, any word. Chances are good you'll find it in some book published by the Oxford University Press, Inc. The publisher, – Read more