Oxfam Employee Reviews

excellent workplace with encouraging people.
Staff Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philippines8 February 2016
Working with OXFAM GB has never been boring. Everyday is a learning process wherein I'm able to grow personally and professionally as a humanitarian and development worker. People in OXFAM are supportive since day 1. Staff, environment, and overall management encourages me to learn and grow everyday.

Typical day at work would be going to the field and work with people in the community and in the local Government. Goes back to the office to make a report on a daily basis. Some days are busier than others, especially during training and workshop. Nonetheless, I get used to these which makes my every day a joyful one.
Nice place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London29 February 2016
Oxfam international was a wonderful experience for me. I worked as a volunteer there but was treated like an employee. During my initial days,my co-workers helped me alot. It also gave me the exposure to international atmosphere. Overall it was a fun and good learning experience for me.
Campus extra curricular
Sustainability resource center liaison (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2016
A typical duty required in my position as the sustainability liaison would be attending sustainability alliance meetings and collaborating with other clubs on large events occurring throughout the semester. Also posting relevant information on social media as well as sending out emails to other club members inviting them to partake in certain events.
Pros
Meeting great people interested in Environmental sustainability
Great work environment with great staff and values
Advocacy and Outreach Committee Co-Chair (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2013
The staff and volunteers at Oxfam all make working there great. Everyone is open minded and friendly. There are many opportunities to learn and grow professionally and personally.
The big problem with the organization is the lack of staff and advancement opportunities. The small size of the organization means the turn around is very low which means long time interns and volunteers have very little chance to enter the organization as paid staff. They are also going through major budget cuts which means they are downsizing at the moment.
Pros
great work environment, good networking opportunities, pleasant staff
Cons
little chance for advancement
A workplace where initiative and support to colleagues is being challenge.
FINANCE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Philippines27 October 2014
Very busy work environment yet you find yourself productive. Day to day activities was time manage since I handled both finance and programme support. As to my colleagues, they're not hard to get along and we get support from each other.
Pros
Timely salary
Volunteering
Bénévole (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC6 January 2016
This is a volunteering experience, not a job.
One of the experience was to help children of primary and early secondary school during a march in Quebec City to make the visibility of Oxfam-Quebec and show that it's not indifferent to the poverty worldwide.
Pros
Free Lunch
A nice place to work
Senior Humanitarian Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Canada29 January 2014
Improved my skills in proposal development
Great co-workers
Fair management
Hardest part of the job: too many deadlines
Most enjoyable part of the job: work with teams in the field
Pros
Great organisational culture
Cons
Financial problems
great experience
Receptionist and Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 May 2013
Great people and experience. Management very welcoming. I loved working there because rules and regulations were straight forward.
Pros
Good lunch
Cons
Just another place to volunteer and jumpstart a career
Steering Committee Member and Workshop Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2013
This is just a student branch of Oxfam Canada, which means there is very little chance for career advancement within the organization. It is a great place to learn about youth advocacy and development and a great place to network.
Pros
networking, experience
Cons
little opportunity for career advancement
A day in the life.....
Donor Relation/Administrative (Former Employee) –  410 Adelaide ST W11 September 2014
Oxfam was a great place to go to work. I was excited to go to work everyday. It started at 8:30 with a coffee, listening to voice mails, and reading e-mails. Once everyone was there, there would be a 10 to 15 mins debrief of what may be happening for the day (who has meetings, who is away (work/vacation), what we can expect). Lunch was a favourite time for the entire office. We always tried to lunch together - we had a round table and everything was unpacked there (work and personall issues) and sometimes even resolved. But always a weight was relieved at the lunch table. My co-workers were amazing....always ready to help, show different perspective etc. Hardest part of the job was saying bye everynight. Most enjoyable part was working with amazing people for an amazing cause.
Fixing cars find out the problem without any taster
Shop Sales assistance (Former Employee) –  Dublin 624 April 2014
I am a polite honest hard working individual, possessing excellent communicative interpersonal skills combined with versatility,
If the customer is not happy about something I can help to solve the problem with good communication skill.
I can work well within a team environment as well as working on my own without supervision using my own initiative ensuring that excellent customer service is provided
discussing withe others to solve any problem
working as a team
Was unpaid employment
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 July 2015
I did not get paid but, I consider it a job as I held the hours of a job and it increased the number of skills I had. It was a job that was not challenging enough however.
Diversity is the order of the day
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Québec, QC23 September 2013
It was exciting volunteering at Oxfam. Presenting on the real world experience in other parts of the world was interesting. Water shortages in developing countries. In some places in developing world, there is water everywhere but not even a drop to drink.

The objective here was to garner fund in order to support people in developing world without potable water.
Cons
extended standing
A very rewarding HR experience in an International Non-profit organization
Regional HR Adviser - East Asia (Former Employee) –  Based in the Philippines; covered East Asia region28 July 2012
HR Advisory role for East Asia covering Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and the Philippines. I had a chance to work in Aceh, Indonesia during the post tsunami helping people improve their lives. Been a part of building a humanitarian site / office in Sampit, Indonesia, a post conflict region.
n/a
Strategic Partnerships (Current Employee) –  toronto,on24 February 2015
There really is nothing I can say. Oxfam Canada will be closed within 5 years if they continue down the path they are travelling.
Un milieu de Travail international
Chargée de mission (Former Employee) –  Paris,23 September 2015
l'expérience chez Oxfam France était très enrichissante.

j'étais chargée de mission dans le cadre de l'organisation du premier forum Européen pour le développement du Pro bono en France.

Je faisais des journées de 9h00 à 17h00. Je travaillais avec le directeur Général mais j'avais beaucoup d'autonomie donc j’organisais mon propre agenda et celui du Directeur Général.

Je me déplaçais beaucoup car j'avais énormément de rencontres à l'extérieur avec des différents cabinets d'avocats et avec d'autres ONG.
Je planifiais donc les rencontres et les tâches de la semaine.
Lieu propice au développement personnel et professionnel
Conseillère en développement organisationnel (Former Employee) –  Québec, QC21 March 2014
Cette fonction m'a apporté plusieurs habiletés en évaluation/planification stratégique, en formation et gestion interculturelle. Comme nous intervenons à l'étranger, nous devons être capable de nous adapter à notre environnement, à la différence culturelle et à la méthodologie de travail de nos partenaires afin d'assurer la satisfaction ainsi que l'atteinte des résultats attendus par toutes les parties prenantes.
Pros
Esprit d'équipe
Cons
Pas d'avantage sociale
JOURNEE DE TRAVAIL TYPIQUE
Agente service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 October 2014
BON CADRE DE TRAVAIL ET
BEL ESPRIT D' EQUIPE ET LES EMPLOYES SONT TRES IMPLIQUES SOCIALEMENT
BON MANAGER
Pros
BEL ESPRIT D' EQUIPE
Cons
BEL ESPRT D'EQUIPE