Oxfam

Oxfam Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Southampton, ENGJuly 16, 2014
- Greeting customers at the shop entrance
- Helping and advising customers with enquiries
- Maintaining the shop floor appearance and stock availability
- Processing cash and card payments
- Signing up customers for the gift aid scheme
Fun workplace
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Canterbury, ENGJuly 12, 2014
I have learned how to work on the till and also everything about the customer care, The most enjoyable part of the work was to talk with my clients and to make new friends.
Fun work place
Volunteer Shop Worker (Former Employee), Andover, ENGJuly 11, 2014
I worked at Oxfam I worked on the till and help re-stock the store.
Freindly and relaxed environment to work/ volunteer in.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Sudbury, ENGJuly 10, 2014
Pros: free tea, coffee.
The typical day in Oxfam would involve preparing stock and restocking rails and shelves. Management and co- workers are friendly and helpful. Oxfam provides volunteering positions for a range of people from students to learning disability. Whilst volunteering I learnt a lot of transferable skills such as communication, how to use the till, time management – more... and a lot more. – less
Fun and rewarding
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), GlastonburyJuly 9, 2014
Being an approachable steward answering any questions and queries that the public have, staying alert and checking all individuals possess correct legislation to enter the farm. My Oxfam team were fun and enthusiastic.
fantastic empathetic organisation
Regional Manager (Former Employee), Northern IrelandJuly 8, 2014
Pros: lovely management
unfortunately i had a temporary post.This was a lovely organisation who kept you informed and appreciated what you did for them.I worked well with all colleagues and volunteers and was part of a merchandising strategy group.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Redruth, ENGJuly 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: some volunteers were difficult to deal with
Working at Oxfam is relatively laid-back, which gives you time to socialize with your co-workers. As well as this, the donations you receive never fail to fascinate, which makes pricing fun. Management was relatively organized, although some volunteers were unco-operative with changes/duties, and the nature of the position made it hard to compromise. – more... This did cause some trouble in the workplace. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was discussing with customers their favorite products and what they were looking for. – less
Rewarding
Vehicle Co-ordinator / Area Development Officer (Former Employee), Derby, ENGJuly 6, 2014
Pros: good for the self esteem
Cons: dwp delivery
Supporting customers claiming benefits to move into employment whilst raising funds for the charity.
Fun
Helper (Current Employee), Bury, ENGJuly 5, 2014
There are really nice people that work there that help you whenever you need them also has a friendly atmosphere
Great enviornment
Sales assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGJuly 4, 2014
Pros: the shop was close to home
As I am an undergraduate who is looking to study Social Work at university next year I wanted to gain some voluntary experience working in the community. I decided to apply for OXFAM and I was successful and was asked to start the next day. One thing I liked about working at OXFAM was that it promotes equality and diversity.

I learnt how to open the – more... shop, how to work at the till, and deal with the stock. My co-workers were really helpful as I was new to all of this they were there with me the whole time making sure I knew what I was doing until I was able to manage by myself. The hardest part of the Job was once there was a lot of people at the que waiting to be served I had to hurry up so I was very nervous. The fun part of the Job was that I was given the opportunity to complete different types of task. – less
voluntery
Retail Assistant (Current Employee), NorthamptonJune 30, 2014
as not paid work i would like to be paid for the work and effort that i put in and i would happily work there part time.
experience gaining
Volunteer (Former Employee), urmstonJune 25, 2014
Oxfam was my first type of employment where I firsted gained knowledge of what it was like to work in the real world, this was very useful to me. Typically at oxfam i would work on the till, sort appropriate clothes out for resale and also manage the stock on the shop floor. It was an all-round job, taking part in everything.
good place to work
volunteer (Former Employee), redhillJune 24, 2014
Pros: volunteering to help oxfam
Cons: when the till didn't work
A typical day would be an average amount of customers looking around the shop, because I came after school time I saw a lot of younger primary school children with parents shopping for toys and clothes, I have learnt a lot of ways to help and interact with customers as well as difficult ones and how to use the till. The management was very good and – more... the manager was very polite and warm to her collogues, the hardest part of the job was if the till stopped working and there were a line of customers and my co-workers were very nice, polite and easy to get along with, the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I helped and volunteered to help a good charity. – less
A great charity
Volunteer / Shop Assistant (Current Employee), St. Austell, ENGJune 24, 2014
Pros: flexible working hours; doing something to help those less fortunate
Cons: because you're a volunteer, you don't receive a wage.
When I first started volunteering, I was unsure of it but once I got into it I enjoyed it. The other volunteers are fun to work with and in the end we're all aiming for the same thing, to make the charity a success!
Productive and insightful
Shop Attendant (Former Employee), Kingston upon Hull, ENGJune 17, 2014
Pros: familiarised myself with the till, regular contact with customers, busy working environment so there is always something to do.
Cons: monotonous
As this was my first taste of real employment, it was intriguing to come face to face with the working world.

I would work behind the till, tidy the shop, put out new stock, iron/clean clothes in the back etc, alternating with other members of staff, always putting their needs before my own.

I learned a great deal about working in a team for a common – more... goal. Customers always come first, this notion was solidified during my stint at Oxfam.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having regular contact with customers as this is an area of business I am particularly interested in. – less
n/a
Volunteer (Former Employee), Great Dunmow, ENGJune 16, 2014
it is a lovely place to volunteer, everyone is very welcoming and patient when learning new things.
Productive and Fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee), Darlington, ENGJune 15, 2014
Volunteering at Oxfam was quite an experience , a typical work day would be helping other volunteers get stock out on the shop floor , and open making sure that the store is clean before opening time and there would be various jobs to do during the course of the day such as help out on the till or steam clothes at the back or sort them out and you could – more... sort any product that is brought into the store and that would go on during the whole day until closing time then me and the rest of the volunteers would tidy up the store before leaving.
Volunteering at Oxfam helped to enhance my people skills and professionalism around customers, I also learned leadership skills and also enhanced my listening skills. – less
Fun place to work!
Retail Assistant (Former Employee), Liverpool, ENGJune 12, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, a lot of experience gained.
Cons: repetitive roles at times.
For a voluntary job this was a wonderful little job to have.
The staff where all lovely and I gained so much experience in the short time I was there. A great way of starting into the retail scene and gaining more confident if you are a nervous person like me.
Also, the hours were so flexible so it didn't interfere with my university course at all.
Volunteer basis, Fun and socialable!
Online Sales Volunteer (Current Employee), Louth, ENGJune 10, 2014
Pros: freedom to do any task that i like
Cons: small work space, sometimes cold.
Volunteer based employment

I volunteer two days a week, i maintain the computer equipment and ensure that all orders placed are dispatched the same day.
A responsible way to make a difference
Shop Assistant (Former Employee), London, ENGJune 4, 2014
Pros: being able to buy cheap stuff as soon as it came to the shop, free tea and coffee.
Cons: not enough staff
Lots of people trusted the shop staff, they've must of established themselves.

What I didn't like was that some staff were playing the volunteers against each other.

The hardest part of the Job was the pressure put by the staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and satisfaction of helping people.

1 2 3 4 5