Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive
Waitress / Shop Assistance (Former Employee), Redcar, ENGJanuary 24, 2015
Excellent Employer, friendly, approachable, very well spoken.
Good Team player, good communication skills with all staff, clients and members of the public.
Productive and fun work place.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), FinchleyJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: gaining experience in a retail, busy environment.
Cons: no pay, because it is a volunteers position, there is no wage, which can be a bit of a drag as we'd all prefer to earn something for our time.
The typical day of work can change from day to day. Mostly i would report to my manger for the tasks for the day, whether tha be culling stock, steaming clothes, sorting out the store room, cleaning the shop floor, dressing the mannequines and displays. I may als be taksed with going on to the till, working with co workers as there is always other volunteers working. Then of course just the general day to day customer service which makes the day go quicker as it gives you something to do.

It's a small, shop that can get quite busy on some days and other days be very quiet. But it is still an enjoyable place to be in. So far i have learnt how to operate the till. This is a skill i have gained through working with Oxfam that i had no previous experience in.
friendly people to work with
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee), Carlisle, ENGJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: friendly people
At Oxfam all the people were very friendly to work with. I learned a lot in the short time that I worked there and enjoyed working there.
Very satisfying work considering fact that we are helping people in dire need in developing world that can not help themselves.
Sales assistant (Former Employee), Ewell, ENG 62 High Street, Surrey, KT17 1RLJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: given a notice to my manager in order to replace me, i get to take a time off when necessary
Cons: i don't get a chance to work more hours.
Collecting and sorting donations and making decision about the the further destination of it. Dealing with a paperwork and banking at the end of the working day. Working as a self - employed Counsellor for a many years, I've had no opportunity to work in a team work as I have had working for an Oxfam which made our work more enjoyable. And working as a Domestic Violence Counsellor for many years has given me a special skills to work with in difficult situations and under the pressure. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that our day was a success and seeing a job well done as I was renamed a perfectionist in my duties. I must confess that the hardest part of the job that I am unable to say NO to an invitations to extra days of work and in a short notice when others are not available. And that I can not do more to help as of course we are all limited in our capacity and positions ..... I have a very close relationship with a management and I am keen to be advised and guided in an effort to do better whenever I can ...
comfortable work place
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Ealing Broadway Station, ENGJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: flexible
Cons: not enough hours
It was a good experience in terms of being able to get along with co workers and easily understandable and applicable job spec.
Volunteering
Till worker (Current Employee), Redruth, ENGDecember 28, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: covering for people that dont come in
I go in and pick up the shop key before opening the shop. I count the float and set up the till. I put out the sign and open the door letting customers into the shop. If I have time I hoover the shop floor. Then I pick up any clothing that has come of hangers and rehang them and go around the shop tidying toys and improving book and dvd displays. I then sit at the till and serve the customers which is the best part of the job. My co-workers are very nice and we all get on as a team working towards raising money for charitable causes. Occasionally I work out the back sorting toys, clothes and steaming but normally I'm on the till.
A good place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Ludlow, ShropshireDecember 24, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: voluntary (unpaid work) and have to come in during christmas and other holiday times
Working at Oxfam is good, some days can be challenging, other days it can be dead as a dodo.

It's fun to work with others and make new friends.
fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Birmingham, ENGDecember 18, 2014
fun, helpful and friendly place to work.
the co workers were really helpful in explaining everything to me and teaching me how everything works around the shop floor
productive and fun to work with
charity work (Former Employee), London, ENGDecember 16, 2014
Pros: long break, free food, working with different people
working at a charity has helped me boost my confidence as i was able to approach customers in a friendly matter. i use to volunteer 1 a week and every week i was able to learn something new. from this experience i was taught how to price the items, operating the tills, sorting out clothes, producing a weekly financial spreadsheet and helping out customers. this has helped me realize what business life is like once you get into it. i was a trust-able and friendly person as the manager would leave me on the tills on my own. the employees on the workforce were really friendly and i was able to get along with them very quickly as i ma easy going. the workers were from different backgrounds and i loved working with them on the workforce. The hardest part of the job was sorting out the clothes and pricing them. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and operating tills. i was able to adapt to the environment very quickly.
experience in different working ideas/shop displays ornaments
shop volunteer (Former Employee), Helston, ENGDecember 15, 2014
Pros: free lunches bus fare
Cons: normal workng week
learnt about various items different and unusual
from working in mini supermarket at mullion holiday park
in the tourism leisure

Overall rating* 5

Job Work/Life Balance 5

Salary/Benefits 3

Job Security/Advancement 5

Management 5

Job Culture 5
Working in oxfam was great, it's a vibrant community.
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee), London, ENGDecember 15, 2014
Pros: lovely people
Cons: no cons
once i arrived i would deal with the clothes that got donated and prepare them to ever go in store (To sell when there in seasons) or to go on the shop floor to get sold. after that i would go on the till and help deal with any quiries that any of the customer have. the best part of the job is that i am around extremely friendly workforce. the hardest part of them jobs was when there was sales and we would have a lot of people but the workforce was so driven we dealt with the customer quickly.
Nice place to work
Work Experience (Former Employee), Yeovil, ENGDecember 14, 2014
I was nervous upon starting but the staff were nice and friendly and eased me in quickly. A typical day included sorting through things that could be put onto the selves and also what items could be sold online. Through this work experience I learnt how to put items on the internet to be sold and also learnt what was appropriate to sell. The hardest part of working at Oxfam was getting my head around the average working day regarding hours. The most enjoyable part of working at Oxfam was the nice and friendly staff.
A place where to enjoy while working hard
Shop Manager (Former Employee), Epsom, ENGDecember 12, 2014
Pros: see the results of hard working at the end of the week.
Cons: luck of appretiation from superiors.
Planning work load for every volunteer depending on sales and costumer's demands.
I've learn how to deal with people and costumers in unexpected circumstances, how to manage people with different backgrounds, expectations and disabilities, always with respect and bringing the best out of them.
The hardest part of these job was dealing with the demands of my superiors, many times unrealistic.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the wiliness of the volunteers and see costumers satisfaction.
Good Experience
General Assistant (Former Employee), KirkcaldyDecember 9, 2014
I did what ever i was asked to do from taking donations,stocking shelves,cleaning & pricing clothes to pricing on & sorting posters on the PC.
Easy going workplace, friendly staff & nice customers.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chester, ENGDecember 1, 2014
Pros: easy going atmosphere, friendly staff & friendly shop management. varied work which kept you busy, & never bored.
Cons: no realistic job prospects.
There was some choice in what you did on your shift. E.g: you could stay on till, or price-up books, or prepare clothes for future stock. There was a high level of variety as you could switch duties from one hour, to the next. It was never boring work, & it was not pressured.
A good company to volunteer for, if that is all you wanted to do. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be any real prospects of advancing into paid work within Oxfam's retail division. You are either a manager or a volunteer, there aren't any go-between roles which are paid. I had to leave for personal reasons, but would return if/when the time was right.
voluntary work at a great workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), ThirskNovember 28, 2014
I worked at oxfam as a volunteer. I helped in the stock rooms, decorating the shop windows, cleaning and tidying the shop floor and seeing to customers needs. The job was very enjoyable and it helped that the rest of the staff were easy to get on with.
volounteer work
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee), Rugby, ENGNovember 23, 2014
it was great working here, everyone was so kind and thoughtful, they really help you to settle into the shop and was there is you needed any help.
oxfam is a NGO
project assistant (Former Employee), haitiNovember 21, 2014
I m come from Haiti this company is a NGO company ,I supervised the workers make a report to my manager and make sure is everything is ok
Friendly atmosphere
Collecter (Former Employee), birkenheadNovember 21, 2014
Even though I was only round the age of 10-12 when I did volunteering work there it was always a nice atmosphere and everyone was always so kind and friendly.
a fun place to work
STORE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Godalming, ENGNovember 19, 2014
Pros: relaxed environment
Cons: often monotonous
A highly flexible working environment, only working once a week for 2 hours. One of the most fundamental things i learnt was how to relate to people from all walks of life. Management was fairly relaxed and I was often left to figure things out myself. Co-workers were friendly and easy to relate to. The hardest part of the job was having to shuttle to and from work during the school day. The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to work in a world renowned organization.

1 2 3 4 5

About Oxfam

Oxfam is an international confederation of 15 organisations working in 98 countries worldwide to find lasting solutions to poverty – Read more

Oxfam Photos