Overwaitea Food Group Employee Reviews

Easy way to terminate your life
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 August 2017
A typical work day for me normally starts at 4 or 4:30 pm. Almost everyday I have to stay until 10 or 10:30. It is much more physical than working in any retail store. You have to pack for almost 4 hours and sort bags into heavy bins. For 6-hours work, you got 15 mins break. You'd better eat cold food cause you do not have enough time to microwave your lunch. I work 4 nights and one morning. Work/Life balance? Eat, sleep, pharmacy, then repeat. The management pretend not to know our hard work and sweat. Most of my co-workers have injuries. My boss is very stubborn and he will blame you 99 times on small issues but never give you approval and acknowledgement. What will you learn? You will easily forget what you learned in school because everything here is scanned by gun. You work like a robot with mechanical action. The rule here is No talking, No wasting time, No music, Keep working till last minute. We do not have sick leaves. Our salary is not competitive at all.

If you have endless energy and want to kill time with boring work, come here to work on the line in the warehouse. Harder than other warehouse work, less paid than cashier.
Pros
Call in Sick is easy. Boss likes it. He can save money and push work.
Cons
Everything above.
Stressful store. Low Morale
General Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC18 July 2017
The management in my former store forgot how to treat employees like people, and would often ignore issues that needed dealing with. As always with customer service, there is the frustration of dealing with the public
Okay place to work
Front end Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC13 July 2017
Not alot of life to work balence, managment is rough definelty needs some work, employees are great fun and upbeat to be around. Favrotism happens for sure with Im the management team
Is a great ro be place and amazing team stuff
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC3 July 2017
I enjoyed working there and would love to do so again is entertaining because there is always something to do either help a costumer or stack up shelfs and label marketings on the back
Pros
Learn to interact with people
Cons
Not such a great paycheques
Great work,
Personal Delivery Assistant (PDA) (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC15 June 2017
The workplace culture was not terrible, as a PDA (personal delivery assistant) I was on my own with little to no contact with the other drivers, unless we were loading/unloading at the same time. The customers were always happy to see us. That part makes the job great. Coming from many years in the customer service industry, this was a nice change of pace for me.
Pros
Fresh Air, driving, learning new areas in the city.
Cons
Very poor communication with Support.
Workplace corrupt sometimes
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC23 May 2017
I used to want to work there, I hate going to work there because of how I'm treated, I don't get enough hours, harassment and manager irresponsibility takes place. Not enough information between mangment and employees sometimes I have no clue what's going on within my store this makes customer service difficult. Not enough notice before shifts, not enough training in specific departments.
Pros
Good relationship with co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours, management is bad, communication within the store is lacking
Friendly, helpful and courteous respectful management.
Wine Merchandiser. (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 May 2017
Good day,
I have only worked for the OFG for 3 weeks; however, I have begun to appreciate the family atmosphere, respect and guanine helpful ideology of the staff and management in my store.
I would recommend the OFG to anyone who wants to work in a close knit work place where there is little drama.
Productive place to work
Loss prevention assor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 May 2017
I had to greet customers and make sure no one stole from the store, and if any problems happened i was to inform management. Great staff and loved it.
Great trusted company to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC9 March 2017
Working for Overwaitea was a pleasure. Their views align very well with my own, that customers ALWAYS come first. I was also part of a union with them which was a new experience for me and it made me feel like part of a family, and like I always had someone to turn to if anything were to arise.

A typical day at work was actually very physical as a grocery store cashier. Most of our customers at this specific location were elderly and very talkative so I enjoyed the relationships I was able to make with our regulars.

I learned the value of having benefits, a company that cares for it's employees, as well as one of my most memorable experience at a work place ever: assisting an elderly lady that had a heart attack in my line up. My first aid training came in handy, and my ability to stay calm and collected in an otherwise terrifying situation.
Pros
Great company
Great company
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC23 February 2017
-Dynamic team mix
-Good work/life balance
-Large private company with a a long-standing corporate culture
-Great comprehensive benefits
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
N/a
Fun
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2017
A day at work was surveying the customers that interacted with the store to prevent theft both large and small. Even stopped employee theft rings. The job also involved a lot of work with the Edmonton Police and RCMP of the Edmonton and Northern Alberta regions.
Good company but unique corporate culture
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC11 April 2016
Good company with strong growth prospects as they expanded further East. Work balance in general is reasonable with heavy periods as would be expected with any retailer. New employees and their ideas are often not well accepted. Most office staff have been with the organization 10 - 35 years, as they grow they are starting to hire outside the organization for more industry expertise, but because most office staff have only ever worked for Overwaitea they are very resistant to new ideas that could bring more efficiency. People are friendly but not interested in making new friends at the office.
Pros
Good work life balance, growth company
Cons
poor internal communication
N/a
General Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Golden, BC20 May 2015
I think the hardest part of the job was remembering every little detail and all of the produce and bulk codes that you have to punch in at the cash register. The thing I liked most was how well everybody got along at work.
One of the Best Companies to work for in B.C.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver6 May 2015
OWFG Is a great place to work, learn & Grow.
A lot fun & caring people and a great atmosphere.
This is a real local company that cares about the communities they operate in.
good experience
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 January 2015
transferable skills working in the produce department warehouse. interacting with customer, handling inventory, sales and customer satisfaction.the management is very organised with staff interest.
Fun and exciting enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Princeton BC7 January 2015
Everyday was different as I wore many hats I did file maintenance, cash office ,Health and safety,worked with people soft,DSD,shipping and receiving, cashier,balanced 4 tills and 4 self scan tills and atm,bank deposits, coin orders,

I learned something new every day

Management was great but the company had a large turn over as we were a training store.
Their was also a large turn over of co workers I was in store trainer and trained over 45 people.

The hardest part of the job was doing cash the physical,

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and working within the community
Pros
I loved working in the cash office doing payroll
Cons
5 am shifts
Very low pay
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC10 June 2014
Very low pay, way below the industry average. Hours are long and the job mainly consists of grinding, but you can learn some skills there.
Poor management seems to be the main problem and the promises cannot be trusted, employees are treated as expendable. They lowball you are the initial offer and benefits and opportunities they initially promise never materialize: broken trust is a common theme at the workplace.
Pros
Fast paced, can learn how to to grind hard
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Excellent company and I was very appreciative to work with OFG
Manager of Merchandising and Supervision (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC24 February 2014
Retail grocery business was a very exciting career
Leading grocery chain in BC and Alberta
Allows their employees to take ownership of all responsibilities
Innovative,
I would recommend OFG to anyone who has the passion for retail
Pros
Very progressive and innovative company
A very good atmosphere to work in with friendly staff.
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 January 2013
I really enjoyed the job. I'd sit in the computer room for about 4 hours typing up prescriptions. I'd get familiar with drug names and classification of drug names as I was typing prescriptions. Once the 4 hours were up, I'd go into the warehouse and work at fill stations, printing out labels for drugs and putting them in vials. The management was very friendly, I didn't get along with this one guy. He was very stubborn and wasn't nice over-all. My co-workers were very nice and considerate. The first day I started my job, this lady showed me around the pharmacy and got me familiar with the rules and regulations of the pharmacy as well as some health and safety hazards in the warehouse. Everyday I'd come into the pharmacy, my co-workers would say hi and in return I'd say hi back. They were very friendly. The hardest part of the job I'd say was packing vials into bags and you had to print out a label for them which had a letter and a number and the drug store it went to. There was this bin I used to work right beside and I had to classify each bag by the letter on the tag. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the computer room, typing out prescriptions and getting familiar with drug names.
Pros
every 8 hours we worked, we had 2 half hour breaks. anything less than 8 hours, we had 2 fifteen minute breaks.
Cons
long hours.