File #13.20 Full Time Volunteer Manager
This posting is open to all qualified candidates
Our Place Society (OPS) is an organization with Christian values and principles. We work as a team to create a nurturing atmosphere of home and family, where all are welcomed. A team approach is critical to living out our mission and values and to directing our work.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Manager of Volunteers is responsible for the oversight and implementation of all functions within the volunteer program. Also, to keep up to date on current volunteer management trends to ensure OPS is a model of excellence in volunteer administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, support, evaluation, placement and scheduling of Our Place Society volunteers in support of regular operations as well as special events.
- Schedule community and student/youth group placements.
- Assist managers in identifying gaps and assessing volunteer needs and opportunities to meet operational requirements.
- Regularly update and implement volunteer orientation and training plans.
- Develop and/or update supporting tools and resources for volunteer services (e.g. forms, databases, manuals, I.D badges).
- Ensure volunteers are set up for success by receiving placement specific training, ongoing feedback and support from Managers and Staff.
- Update and review volunteer position descriptions, including objectives, on an annual basis.
- Maintain a secure, confidential electronic database of all current volunteer records.
- Generate a monthly volunteer management report to be distributed to the Board of Directors to include all volunteer activities and statistics.
- Prepare information about OPS volunteer services, identify opportunities to share this information and follow-up as required.
- Reconcile volunteer services incidents including working with volunteers in the resolution of conflicts with other volunteers, staff, family members and residents.
- Develop and implement a volunteer recognition plan, including:
Host volunteer gatherings and celebrations.
Collaboratively plan and host an annual volunteer recognition event.
Collaboratively plan activities in support of National Volunteer Week.
Encourage managers and staff to offer informal recognition and appreciation to volunteers on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure that recipients of the volunteer financial incentive program and the Community Volunteer Supplement are completing the requisite number of hours.
- Meet with and schedule community work service referrals and authorize any hours completed.
- Develop and implement an appropriate exit plan for volunteers, as required.
- Represent all volunteers in an advocacy role in meetings and all related decision making.
- Develop goals and objectives for volunteer services which align with those of the organization.
- Develop and update policies and procedures for volunteer services as required.
- Develop/update and implement an evaluation plan for volunteer services.
- Contribute to the annual budget process as it relates to volunteer management.
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
The Ideal candidate will possess:
- Post-secondary education and/or an equivalent combination of education and three years’ related experience.
- Experience with a non-profit organization.
- Human resources or volunteer management expertise.
- Ability to be an integral part of change management within the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people of diverse personal, social and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to work well in a busy work environment and to manage conflicting demands and priorities.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience working with and managing those with mental health and addictions issues.
- Familiarity with the vulnerable population that OPS serves and comfort working within this environment.
- Experience working with first nations and other cultural groups.
Monday to Friday
Evening and weekend work may be required.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a covering letter and resume detailing their related background, experience and qualifications by 4:30 p.m. December 12, 2013 in reply to this ad or drop off to Our Place Society, Attention: Marion Hoadley, Human Resources Manager, 919 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, B.C. V8V 3P4. Please quote “File #13.20 Volunteer Manager in the subject line.