Brief job description:
The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute has an immediate opening for a part-time research technician in the Bainbridge Lab. The successful candidate will be highly motivated and have a strong interest in biomedical research. He/she will join a multidisciplinary team working on placental biology research, with a focus on adverse pregnancy outcomes. This position’s primary purpose will be to provide technical support and student supervision in cell and molecular biology research for our growing research environment.
- Performing human cell culture procedures
- Performing molecular biology and protein analysis procedures
- Participation in research projects under general supervision
- Supervising and/or training junior laboratory staff and graduate students
- General lab and equipment maintenance
- Other duties as directed by supervisor and required by the lab
- 3 year college diploma or a BSc degree in a health science field
- 1-5 years of experience working in a research laboratory and supervising students
- Demonstrated ability to follow established guidelines and protocols and to complete work assignments in effective and efficient manner
- Highly organized with strong record keeping skills
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral)
- Experience with: human cell culture, protein analysis (Western Blotting, ELISA, immunohistochemistry and microscopy) and RNA analysis (real-time PCR) is preferred
Benefits and opportunities:
- Length of term: 40 week contract, with possibility for renewal.
- Hours: Part-time (21 hours/week).
- Salary range: From $18.29/hr (min) to $26.18/hr (max), commensurate with skills and experience.
- Benefits: Employee will receive 19% in lieu of benefits and vacation.
Comments to applicant:
Please send a cover letter, complete CV with description of research experience, and contact information for 3 references by email before December 31st, 2012
NOTE: Applicants must refer to “Research Technician Position” in the email subject line.
We encourage all qualified persons to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted