Ottawa Carleton District School Board Employee Reviews

Not enough information
Language Instructor - Spanish (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 December 2017
I only work Saturdays, therefore I don't have a lot of information to base my review on. But, from my interactions with the members of the schools I work on, they have been very nice and helpful.
Fun place
Language Instructor - Spanish (Weekend) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2017
I have only started this year teaching in the International program and so far I really like it all. Since I am in a part time basis, I have no idea about their benefits, but know people that have permanent positions and like it.
professional workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 August 2017
as a teacher I learned a lot from my student. I love teaching and spending time with teenagers, the most enjoyable part of job was looking at their kind and smart eyes
using public schools on Saturdays,gives opportunity to children to learn their mother tongue and their culture.
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 August 2017
Availability of using public schools on Saturdays, and being among the others with the same culture,gives opportunity to children to learn and communicate with their language ,and learn more about their culture.
Pros
gives the opportunity to children to learn their mother tongue and their culture
Cons
it was only part time opportunity
Custodian
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 May 2017
The custodian work is a great job if you enjoy working independently. The work is enjoyable to see a difference in cleaning the school. It has major potential to continue and become a full-time employee.
Pros
Secure job
Cons
Working alone
always learning something new
Custodian (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2017
It is a job that requires attention to detail.sometimes it can be very busy and requires you to have good time management skills because you will have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it
very demanding
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2016
This job is very demanding,
when you work for the school board you have to make sure things are sanitary as you are dealing with a kids environmental
people are nice but not great benefits or job security as an Early learning assistant
Early Learning Assistant at Manotick P.S (Current Employee) –  Manotick, ON24 November 2016
A typical day for an Early learning assistant is to prepare snack,
go outside, supervise the children while they play.
Liaison with teachers and EA's about any behavior challenges during the day that may affect the after school program.
Research, and develop age appropriate and educational activities for them to do, assist in the preparation and carrying it out.
Serve snack, and read a story.
Possibly go to the gym or something physically active for them to do such as kids yoga or a game.
Assist with anything else that the ECE needs help with.
Great job security
Chief Custodian (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2016
Positive work place
Always something good to learn in each day by observing others alike
Managers always available
Ups and downs when referring to co workers must be a good listener before becoming a great leader

Having to witness hardships within families and dealing with mentally challenged students is hard at times.

The most enjoyable part of my job is by being able to make a positive difference in kids lives.
Great hours! Great Pay!
Full-Time summer employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
The Ottawa Carleton District School Board gave me great hours, and paid well. Overall was a great job and i would work there again!
Teaching high school is both intensely rewarding and stressful
Education and Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2016
Over the 35 years I taught, the teaching and work culture had changed immensely.
In the past there were more steady careers and greater opportunities.Thus it had been easier to encourage students to study and reach ahead.
The work world has become fast-paced and ever-changing and so uncertain. I feel very bad for the students of the future .. and as such I question whether the work structure environment it is healthy.
Nevertheless learning is not lost- what we learns stays in our heads and permits us to seek opportunities and that is why education is such an important factor in peoples' lives.

The typical day for a teacher is fast-paced. You have to be alert at all times, with directing and observing.
It is truly a great moment when you, as a teacher, see 'lights go on'
in the minds of the students ...or you see smiles on students' faces.
The hardest part is juggling evaluation with the fast pace of lesson delivery.
Pros
encounters with great colleagues and students
Cons
long hours...
Daily Supply Teaching
Daily Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 March 2016
I enjoy working for the Ottawa Carleton District School Board. The administrative staff are always very welcoming and the teachers and Educational assistance are open to assist with any questions I may have about a particular assignment.
Pros
Increase work experience in different courses and schools
Cons
Not always consistent work
I love working with ocdsb
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2015
I am enjoying my work in FDK and EDP. Management is really good and well organized. Staff is cooperative. Management takes interest in providing training and workshops to the staff.
Lunch Monitoring
Lunch Monitor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2015
A typical day at work is always being surprised. The job deals with constant thinking on your feet and is high paced. I like that it gives me a sense of accomplishment and that I do see results. Both the management and my co workers are really engaging and have a lot of input and come to anyone aid during there time of need. The hardest part of my job is waiting for results to occur with in the child. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that this child is respected and loved by me and that I am working with the child to help them succeed in our world.
Pros
Geting feedback when in need
Cons
Not enough time with the child when teaching a new technique in learning.
Working with students
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 April 2015
Working with students who have special needs. Some students were Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Some students have developmental disabilities and learning disabilities. Follow the instructions of the teacher and assist those in need.
The people make the place.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2014
Friendly welcoming environment you're happy to come into work in the morning.
busy and interesting
Custodian (Current Employee) –  ottawa27 August 2014
Clean and disinfect assigned area
operate machinery
meet interesting people
Amazing place to work
Casual Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2013
Great Company to work for, they have a lot of great resources.
arabic structre
Arabic Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 June 2013
I go to school in each Saturday at 9:00. I spend the whole day teaching and doing activities for the students. being a teacher I have learned very important things in like being on time, multitasking and being responsible for the others. on the other hand management is very beneficial in the classroom. My relationship with the co-workers helps me with teaching, we share thoughts and opinions about teaching methods and lessons. The hardest part of the job is to spend extra time with students who are in lower stage that the other students, but I try to divide students in equal groups and that way students can also learn from each other. The most enjoyable part is when I see my students progress in their learning stage and when I build a strong connection between me and the students
Pros
early time
Cons
the teaching time is very short
good people to work for
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2013
work is steady pace,most co-wokers were good to work with.the best part of the job was the kids at the schools,they really look up to you and the younger ones take an interest in what you do.most of teachers were good to help out but there was a few never.