Ottawa Carleton District School Board Employee Reviews

Teaching high school is both intensely rewarding and stressful
Education and Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 22, 2016
Over the 35 years I taught, the teaching and work culture had changed immensely.
In the past there were more steady careers and greater opportunities.Thus it had been easier to encourage students to study and reach ahead.
The work world has become fast-paced and ever-changing and so uncertain. I feel very bad for the students of the future .. and as such I question whether the work structure environment it is healthy.
Nevertheless learning is not lost- what we learns stays in our heads and permits us to seek opportunities and that is why education is such an important factor in peoples' lives.

The typical day for a teacher is fast-paced. You have to be alert at all times, with directing and observing.
It is truly a great moment when you, as a teacher, see 'lights go on'
in the minds of the students ...or you see smiles on students' faces.
The hardest part is juggling evaluation with the fast pace of lesson delivery.
Pros
encounters with great colleagues and students
Cons
long hours...
Daily Supply Teaching
Daily Supply Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2016
I enjoy working for the Ottawa Carleton District School Board. The administrative staff are always very welcoming and the teachers and Educational assistance are open to assist with any questions I may have about a particular assignment.
Pros
Increase work experience in different courses and schools
Cons
Not always consistent work
I love working with ocdsb
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 6, 2015
I am enjoying my work in FDK and EDP. Management is really good and well organized. Staff is cooperative. Management takes interest in providing training and workshops to the staff.
Lunch Monitoring
Lunch Monitor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 16, 2015
A typical day at work is always being surprised. The job deals with constant thinking on your feet and is high paced. I like that it gives me a sense of accomplishment and that I do see results. Both the management and my co workers are really engaging and have a lot of input and come to anyone aid during there time of need. The hardest part of my job is waiting for results to occur with in the child. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that this child is respected and loved by me and that I am working with the child to help them succeed in our world.
Pros
Geting feedback when in need
Cons
Not enough time with the child when teaching a new technique in learning.
Working with students
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 19, 2015
Working with students who have special needs. Some students were Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Some students have developmental disabilities and learning disabilities. Follow the instructions of the teacher and assist those in need.
The people make the place.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 30, 2014
Friendly welcoming environment you're happy to come into work in the morning.
busy and interesting
Custodian (Current Employee) –  ottawaAugust 27, 2014
Clean and disinfect assigned area
operate machinery
meet interesting people
Amazing place to work
Casual Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 2, 2013
Great Company to work for, they have a lot of great resources.
arabic structre
Arabic Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 28, 2013
I go to school in each Saturday at 9:00. I spend the whole day teaching and doing activities for the students. being a teacher I have learned very important things in like being on time, multitasking and being responsible for the others. on the other hand management is very beneficial in the classroom. My relationship with the co-workers helps me with teaching, we share thoughts and opinions about teaching methods and lessons. The hardest part of the job is to spend extra time with students who are in lower stage that the other students, but I try to divide students in equal groups and that way students can also learn from each other. The most enjoyable part is when I see my students progress in their learning stage and when I build a strong connection between me and the students
Pros
early time
Cons
the teaching time is very short
good people to work for
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2013
work is steady pace,most co-wokers were good to work with.the best part of the job was the kids at the schools,they really look up to you and the younger ones take an interest in what you do.most of teachers were good to help out but there was a few never.
Get out as much out as you put in
Elected Trustee, Zone #7 (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2013
There are many ways to approach this task, but what makes it worthwhile is the opportunity to change the organizational culture and improve the delivery of education.
Pros
helping people navigate the system
Cons
provincial government interference
Ottawa Carleton District School Board
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ridgemont HighschoolSeptember 5, 2012
I learned a lot when I was working for the school board as a custodian. At first it was hard but throughout the month it got easier. My coworkers were very nice and they showed me how to do lots of tasks on my own.
Pros
hours
Cons
cleaning the washroom

4.5