Orlick Industries Employee Reviews

Long hard hours
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON5 October 2017
There was lots of work to do but the hours are very long and demanding. For anyone who has the stamina for this kind of work it can be very rewarded but challenging.
Horrible Company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 September 2017
Ruined my back working here. I still suffer from back problems after working here. Regret ever taking a job that is very repetitive. Many illnesses can happen after doing very repetitive work. Be warned. The rates are also too high making the repetitive work even worse on your body. Many of the machine workers are suffering from repetitive type problems. Also the wage is garabage especially in comparison to the abuse put on your body.
Pros
Cons
Will ruin your health
26 September 2017

As with many manufacturing jobs, the machine operator position at Orlick is indeed a physical job that can take some getting used to and is not for everyone. Orlick has implemented anti-fatique matting as well as having jobs reviewed by a professional ergonomist to make the positions as comfortable as possible.

To operate a trim press or CNC machine, there is an element of repetitive reaching to properly position the parts for the operation and then reaching in to remove those same parts once the machines have completed their cycle time.

Based on a third party Physical Demands Analysis of the jobs, employees are required to lift weights between 7 and 15 pounds approximately 15% of the time each shift.

All Orlick employees are provided with an offer of employment before they start working with the company that outlines the wage rate offered for the job, allowing anyone to decline the offer if unsatisfied with the wage.

very old machines
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 August 2017
aluminum die cast production to automotiveindustry. three rotatation shifts, very old work machines, hot and dirty industry
no spare parts for machines.
26 September 2017

As a millwright still with the organization, all comments and assistance in improving the process is welcome and we invite you to speak with your supervisor to pass on your thoughts as a licensed trades person involved in the upkeep of the equipment.

While there are many of our die cast machines that have been in use for some time, there is a program in place that has seen virtually every die cast machine rebuilt over the past five years. In addition, large investments have been made with new equipment including robotics, CNC machines and building upgrades.

As an award winning supplier to the automotive industry, Orlick does run a combination of two and three shift rotations in order to meet the sales requests from our customers. Our manufacturing environment is not an air conditioned building meaning that we are susceptible to the environmental temperatures and it can indeed get hot during the summer heat wave season.

no job security
Trim press operator (Former Employee) –  Parkdale, ON16 August 2017
worked almost 3 months there was given a good review then was let go after the orders were complete 2 days before christmas given no reason. so ya thats about it
good learning experience
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 June 2017
Very rough environment. This is where I learned about getting disruptive workers on line. Our lab was very progressive and had some great co-workers. Direct management showed what can be achieved with honest and sincere effort. I learned a lot about die-casting and machining aluminum in a fast paced manufacturing shop. I was part of a group sent over to open a new division at the time.
Pros
great learning experience all around
Cons
very hot shop in summer ??
No job security
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 June 2017
Don't know what will be next. Benefit still good for now, doesn't not cover pre-existing condition.

Only company hiring in town, very hot in the summer to work in die cast department.
26 July 2017

Orlick is a manufacturer of high pressure aluminum die casting and machining to the automotive industry with Honda as a primary customer. It is exciting to know that virtually every Honda vehicle in North America has at least one part on it produced by Orlick employees.

Automotive manufacturing can be cyclical depending on the overall economies of Canada and the United States, but we have been fortunate not to have experienced any significant reductions to the workforce since 2009 – 2010. Production contracts for automotive production often runs for several years until there is a model change to a vehicle. Orlick has a wide variety of customers and parts with a very solid sales forecast and expectations for increased production requirements for the upcoming years.

As with most manufacturing facilities, our production facilities are not air conditioned and reflect the outside temperatures but the company does offer extra heat breaks and things like Freezies in the hot weather to help deal with the effects of the heat.

Orlick offers a competitive benefits package including prescription medication, vision care, extended health care, dental as well as the full cost for prescription safety glasses and work boots.

My favorite job!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 June 2017
I was the representative to Honda at Orlick. They were absolutely wonderful to work with. I handled everything from New Model Reviews to replacement tracking & destruction of old die casting equipment and temporary packaging requirements.
We had a great production team and a great quality team.
Orlick had some really progressive equipment on site. Very interesting stuff.
Pros
Excellent work experience
Cons
A little old fashioned in their HR attitudes
Pretending to be a world class manufacturer
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 May 2017
"Competitive wages"
Starting pay is $12.50 goes up to $13 after ten week probation.

"Growth Opportunities"
New positions are assigned on merit, not seniority. Expect to have a carrot dangled in front of you for years. Unless you're a rat.

"Training"
Monday: you'll get 3 hours for basic safety training so the company can cover themselves if you get injured.
Tuesday: Straight to work. There aren't any real trainers ... just co-workers that are already stressed with production quotas.

The usual from a company that wants to make parts, not careers.
26 July 2017

We are sorry to hear that your experience at Orlick was not as positive as you would have liked.

We do have a number of ‘entry level’ positions, several of which offer more than the rates mentioned, as well as annual performance reviews for increased wages. Orlick supports internal advancement through frequent job postings as well as paying for training or continuing education for those employees wishing to advance their education.

Orlick is proud to be a supplier of choice in the automotive industry, and due to the hard work and efforts from our employees, Orlick has been awarded the Honda Delivery Award for each of the past two years. This is a very difficult award to receive as it recognizes all aspects of production, quality and delivery.

We welcome those interested in working in the fast paced environment of an automotive parts supplier and offer benefits, training, tuition reimbursement, weekly summer BBQ's, an annual summer picnic and a Christmas party for our employees and their families.

its employee reference scammers
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 April 2017
its scammer they want want job reference who applying job keep they job available when you applying this company am not recommended applying this company
26 September 2017

unfortunately we are not clear on what your concerns are based on this review.

Orlick does use previous job references as one part of the recruitment process, along with criminal record background checks and a pre-employment medical assessment in addition to the usual interview process.

Decent
Operator / Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON30 November 2016
It was an ok place to work, just need to apply and you get a job.
They would hire pretty much anyone at all, and the work was incredibly difficult, with crazy high turnover rates.
not that great
Meltroom Operator/maintenance assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 October 2016
if your looking for a temporary job its not a bad gig .. but dont expect to be there long or be surprised to be permanently laid off.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
not a secure job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 April 2016
Continuing education opportunities, inherently satisfying work, friendly colleagues, good supervision, ability to consult with clinical team lead at any time, supportive supervisors, diverse client base to work with, exchange program, opportunities to work overtime if you want to, 3 month grace period without productivity stipulations so you can get used to demands of the job, will lead to very good results
Great and productive working environment
Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 April 2016
Friendly and productive environment for any candidate. Got to learn a lot of die casting and how the engineers are always trying to improve things like saving energy, efficiency and lowering costs.
CNC Operator (Parkdale)
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  411 Parkdale Avenue North2 April 2016
Typical Day at Orlick;

Go to work, punch my card in, walk down to the CNC department, go back outside, have a cigarette, go back inside and go to work.
Shift: 7am-3:30pm; 7-10 (break10mins), 10:10-12 (break30mins), 12:30-2 (break10mins), 2:10-3:30.

What I've Learned;

I've learned (on my own) how to the job. They say you'll get training but in reality they show you how to generally do the job in about 30 seconds to maybe 2 minutes of demonstrations on how to do what you need to do on the job you are working on. After that it's touch and go. I've learned more from my co-workers than any of the management staff there.

Management and Co-Workers;

Some of the management staff and co-workers you will get along with. But for the most part everyone talks about everyone at some point. Your fellow co-workers (on your shift) will get along with you for the most part. The ones on the other shift will blame your shift for every little or big thing. Managers are another story. Very little of the time they will have your back if something happens (customer complaints, internal complaints). The only problem I've really had with management is when I had a part come to me that looked pretty bad and I showed it to my supervisor and he said it was fine. We got a complaint a month or so later for it and the tag had my number on it, so I was to blame. But when I said I showed it to my supervisor, let's just say he naturally denied any involvement.

Hardest part of the job;

Meeting (for the most part) their high expectations regarding numbers that they need fulfilled by the end
  more... of the work day. On some jobs it is easy enough but on others it is a joke and unrealistic.

Most Enjoyable Part Of The Job;

Breaks, friends at the workplace and standing at the end of the day at the punch clock waiting to go home!
Pros
Co-Workers on your shift are great, benefits are decent, reasonable pay
Cons
Key word; Drama. You will be talked about, whether you are a saint or the devil. And people will tell lies about you.
Work not worth pay
Trim press operator (Former Employee) –  Stoney.creek24 September 2015
I worked at the stoney creek facility. Place is a joke, high school drama, supervisors don't care about you, some Co. Workers are good but most are back stabbers. If you need a job asap it will fill the void, but honestly keep looking. Don't. Recommend this company to anyone
Pros
Cons
Horrible pay, even worse shifts, and their "2 week training" lasted 6 days for me
Great first time factory job
Trim Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 September 2015
This company opened my eyes to the manufacturing aspect of a product. You have a greater appreciation for objects in life when you have to actually make the product.
Pros
loved trim pressing
Cons
non
Good for beginning experience but keep your options open
Millwright Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 August 2015
Worked there for 2 years, first 3 months they treat you will and try to work with you, last 21 months I worked with partners from time to time but mostly on my own, the work stress compared to pay wasnt worth it, did everything I could to keep my department running but lack of parts and appreciation from managers is depressing, there are good people that work there and they are more than happy to give you a hand, must have tough skin to get along with people, good beginner experience.
Pros
Most mechanics will try to help you learn
Cons
Mandatory overtime, and don't care about your time
Unknown
Millwright Apprentice Co-op (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 May 2015
Orlick is a confusing place to work. At times it was easy to learn but some of the millwright held back due to the amount of turnover of their aprrentices.
Very unprofessional and childish
Trim press operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton8 May 2015
I felt like I was in high school all over again and if one person doesn't like you, well you get laid off to only find out they didn't have the balls to fire me to my face cowards. All in all just an awful company to work for. At least at the Parkdale facility.
Pros
Paycheck didn't bounce
Cons
Poor management, no job security and all around childish work setting
manualfacturing industry
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  hamilton23 April 2015
Kept pace in high volume production facility
Worked efficiently and was very organized for daily tasks
product quility control

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orlick Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6