The Process Engineering Lead plans, organizes and supervises the process function for the front end design engineering. The Lead is responsible for ensuring process support of small to medium sized projects or areas of larger projects. This position also provides technical support to other individual process engineers, technologists, and technicians. Responsibilities also include the leading and mentoring of other engineers to develop heat material balances, process flow diagrams (PFDs), piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), system design parameters, and design or rating of equipment such as vessels, towers, exchangers, pumps, etc. The Process Lead ensures that the deliverables provided to the project by the engineering team are technically accurate and meet the project scope. The management of process staff is also a requirement of the position.
1. Responsible for the execution of the technical discipline, for a specific client.
2. Providing comprehensive engineering and design services by establishing the design criteria and implementing the preparation of specifications, design computations, drawings, models and bills of material in accordance with basic project requirements.
3. Analyze the design of vendors or subcontractors providing specific equipment.
4. Determine technical requirements for projects.
5. Participate in the design of component parts and individual units; exercising cost control, reviewing and monitoring designs for conformance with control estimates and project specifications.
6. Process engineering work including, heat & material balances feasibility studies, engineering calculations and P&ID development.
7. Process simulation/calculations using programs such as HYSYS, VMGSim etc.
8. Equipment sizing/rating and datasheet preparation.
9. Direct supervision of all employees of the project. Reviews and evaluates technical work, selects schedules and coordinates to attain project objectives.
10. May assist in developing, implementing and maintaining existing and new design standards, guides and procedures.
11. Performance management/expectations of the assigned employees in the Project Group.
12. Provide leadership/mentorship to junior and intermediate personnel within the process group and the project management group.
13. Provide technical input in proposals, review proposals and provide estimates for specific clients.
14. Incorporates safety practices and principles in all functions of the job.
15. Reviews/audits/stamps (as appropriate) process work done by engineering team where expected/acceptable by the local jurisdiction of Professional Engineers.
16. Some client site visits as requested.
Education, Experience and Skills:
1. Minimum four year engineering or related technical degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Minimum 10+ years of relevant engineering experience.
3. Computer proficiency in Windows, MS Office, E-Mail.
4. Must be knowledgeable with P&IDs, PFDs, HAZOPs etc.
5. Computer proficiency in HYSYS.
6. Verbal and written communication skills.
7. Proven ability to multitask efficiently and flexibility to respond to changes in priorities.
8. Good organizational and time management skills; ability to meet deadlines.
9. Team Player – Ability to work in multidiscipline environments.
10. Strong supervisory/leadership skills.
11. Decision making and problem solving ability.
12. Initiative – Self-starter, take ownership and responsibility.
1. P.Eng status
2. APEGGA Level D or higher